Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

2 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

If they wanted money to improve, they should've proven that they could A. actually bring their online functionality up to snuff in comparison to PSN and Xbox Live, and B. Create online systems worth the cost. Right now, this sounds exactly like Wii U's online, except you can use your phone to group chat, which is still fucking stupid.

I do agree the chat features sound dumb atm

The battery life while inevitable, is still disappointing. Guarantee titles like BotW and Skyrim, and most games investing in the system for run closer to the 2 hour mark on the go, which is disappointing as shit especially if you're on a plane or something like promoted. 

I suppose unlike mostly everyone here I quite enjoyed the presentation and it did make me more optimistic then worried about Nintendo's future. 

Though I probably won't be getting a Switch until around Fall where I get a better idea if what it's offering after E3, but all the first party stuff looks great, the third party stuff at least is there and stuff like EA sports and Skyrim and SMT I think will matter in the long run 

It's gonna be a Holiday purchase for me too, probably. Generally we save money up for consoles on Christmas, so a day one buy ain't gonna happen.

4 minutes ago, Soniman said:

I suppose unlike mostly everyone here I quite enjoyed the presentation and it did make me more optimistic then worried about Nintendo's future. 

I probably won't be getting a Switch until around Fall where I get a better idea if what it's offering after E3, but all the first party stuff looks great, the third party study at least is there and stuff like EA sports and Skyrim and SMT I think will matter in the long run 

I'm with you guys on this one. The lineup looks great, but the games need to actually be out first before i buy one.

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

The battery life while inevitable, is still disappointing. Guarantee titles like BotW and Skyrim, and most games investing in the system for run closer to the 2 hour mark on the go, which is disappointing as shit especially if you're on a plane or something like promoted. 

It's compatible with battery packs which will double it at a base level, and depending on many you have can extend it indefinitely. And most long term flights have power outlets now, and cars have multiple options for power, whether a dedicated adapter, or an invertor

FIFA Switch (and most likely 2K18) will be getting modified PS3/360 ports. EA is doing the same thing AGAIN to Nintendo.

The Switch is sadly, at the moment going to follow Wii U's footsteps. Too many negatives are happening with this console.

And what is Ubisoft's biggest surprise? Oh, Rayman Legends - the game everyone has already played.

I just---don't know who to blame. Switch is a nice machine, it's more attractive than the Wii U (I know that's not saying much) and I was ready to preorder it today...then backed out after the presentation. And it will stay that way until maybe during the summer after E3.

Nintendo had years to prepare this console, make sure they got everything right after the disastrous Wii U, and they still got it wrong.

3 minutes ago, Merry Merry Hatsune said:

FIFA Switch (and most likely 2K18) will be getting modified PS3/360 ports. EA is doing the same thing AGAIN to Nintendo.

Who out of the hardcore sports crowd is still playing these games on the PS3 and 360? We're three years into the gen now.

Who out of the hardcore sports crowd is still playing these games on the PS3 and 360? We're three years into the gen now.

Probably second-world countries. Like EA released PS2 versions of FIFA up until FIFA 14 (2013) because they were still selling in those markets.

And I know one person who still buys sports games on his PS3, because he doesn't own a PS4 yet (he is saving money for it though).

So China, Russia, and bits of west Africa. Not exactly the markets one thinks of when the think of the sports game demographic.

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

Also, is everyone done taking Laura Kate Dale seriously now? She was wrong about nearly everything.

She was spot on for most, if not all of the hardware specs, though. The Mario/Rabbids crossover likely exists as well, what with the matching toys popping up in a Ubisoft video. For all we know there were a lot of late changes to the presentation (which isn't exactly difficult to imagine considering how poorly produced the whole thing was) that could have made accurate foresight impossible. As she pointed out herself weeks ago, you should never place your full faith in any leak for this reason. However, there's truth to a lot of what she hears and she has proven to be right before and for that reason I consider her insight to be worthy of note.

Honestly it was very brave of her (and other leakers with genuine sources) to put her reputation on the line, knowing that many abhorrent gamers (and just so we're clear; I'm not referring to you) would be out for blood because their favourite toy wasn't announced.

• Thumbs Up 3

She actually said a while back that the crossover was pushed back to September and likely not going to be at the presentation.

• Thumbs Up 1

Regardibg Laura, I think no matter who the person is, just taking things with a grain of salt is a necessity nowadays. Even people that have been right in the past aren't immune from the temptation to fuck around with their audience. I think something like that had actually happened with Smash Bro's 4 regarding one of the "credible" leakers

35 minutes ago, Merry Merry Hatsune said:

The Switch is sadly, at the moment going to follow Wii U's footsteps. Too many negatives are happening with this console.

And what is Ubisoft's biggest surprise? Oh, Rayman Legends - the game everyone has already played.

I just---don't know who to blame. Switch is a nice machine, it's more attractive than the Wii U (I know that's not saying much) and I was ready to preorder it today...then backed out after the presentation. And it will stay that way until maybe during the summer after E3.

Nintendo had years to prepare this console, make sure they got everything right after the disastrous Wii U, and they still got it wrong.

The fact that EA is basing their sports games on apparently the PS3 and 360 games but Ubisoft is porting STEEP TO THE FUCKING THING, they have no excuse if this is true. We know for a fact the system is capable of X1 and PS4 game ports. Guess it just depends on how much the company actually gives a shit.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's a shame Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 didn't make it, though I guess there's not as large a market for those games on Nintendo platforms vs sports ones?(though if CoD eventually ends up on the switch, there really won't be a excuse for EA)

So China, Russia, and bits of west Africa. Not exactly the markets one thinks of when the think of the sports game demographic.

Don't forget South America, Middle East and India too.

Soccer/football is practically the biggest sport in most countries, it's just America is the only first-world country to not take soccer seriously compared to the rest.

19 minutes ago, Merry Merry Hatsune said:

Those are not second-world countries/areas. They're third-world countries.

Those are not second-world countries/areas. They're third-world countries.

A place like Dubai is a third-world area?

But anyway, if so then I mean second and third-world countries.

Anywho, yea I'm gonna echo the mixed feelings that were said here.

It was a solid presentation, but it didn't really tells us enough to justify a purchase atm. Add the iffy prices and only 3-4 third party titles on the way, then it just colors me skeptical. Like, why is a controller $70? This isn't an Xbox Elite controller, but more or less a standard controller. Why do the Snes titles only last for a month when PS+ offers their games indefinitely as long as you're subscribed? Breath of the Wild is 13.4GB on Switch, but the highest capacity is only 32GB again? So basically, I have to dedicate nearly half the console's space for it. At least give 100GB Nintendo, come on.

Yea, I'm hype for most of the games bu that doesn't change what I said above. So all in all, it's a massive mixed bag for me and I'm kind of conflicted if I want to dip so much for this so early.

58 minutes ago, Pawn said:

She was spot on for most, if not all of the hardware specs, though. The Mario/Rabbids crossover likely exists as well, what with the matching toys popping up in a Ubisoft video. For all we know there were a lot of late changes to the presentation (which isn't exactly difficult to imagine considering how poorly produced the whole thing was) that could have made accurate foresight impossible. As she pointed out herself weeks ago, you should never place your full faith in any leak for this reason. However, there's truth to a lot of what she hears and she has proven to be right before and for that reason I consider her insight to be worthy of note.

Honestly it was very brave of her (and other leakers with genuine sources) to put her reputation on the line, knowing that many abhorrent gamers (and just so we're clear; I'm not referring to you) would be out for blood because their favourite toy wasn't announced.

Right. I think the logical thing to do is to always take rumors with a grain of salt. If we're talking hardware specs, I believe you're confusing her with Emily Rogers. Her specs report was spot on, while LKD never gave full detailed information on specs, from what i can remember. She had said previously that she knows the consequences if she ended up being wrong, props to her for that, but she is taking her lumps today. I'm just actually kind of shocked about how much of this she got wrong.

54 minutes ago, Marcello said:

She actually said a while back that the crossover was pushed back to September and likely not going to be at the presentation.

I actually checked that big write up she did. She said the game may be delayed to September but that she was "confident" that both it and Beyond Good and Evil 2 were going to be in the conference. That obviously didn't pan out. 

I'm definitely waiting for a sign that the ends will even justify the means for paid online.

Seriously, for as much fun as I have romping online with games like Smash and Mario Kart, I can't have those being the only main reasons for me to pay for online.

Monthly downloads-

Nah, even PS4 hasn't suckered me that way.

After putting some thought into it...I am worried as hell right now. Let me talk about the good stuff first.

-The fact that it's region free is good I never understood the point of region locked games to begin with

-The price is fine

-World wide launch March 3rd

-Xenoblade 2 actually wants me to try out the series

-Breath of the Wild continues to look good

-Arms is an actually interesting and I welcome it with open arms...sorry

-We already know how I feel about Mario 

-Mania is confirmed

Now let's talk about the negatives

-Splatoon 2 isn't called Spl2n. Seriously it was so perfect you had it and then you blew it up

-The battery life is pathetic

-Motion/Gyro controls are never going way

-The accessories are way too fucking expensive 

-What the hell is 1,2 Switch and why does it look so bad

-32 GB are you kidding me again with this crap? Have you learned nothing from the Wii U? Apparently not!

-Most game announcements didn't tell us much about the game it was just "we're making a game here's a trailer" or "we're making a game we have nothing to show you atm so see ya when we see ya bye"

-The launch looks pretty pathetic and I can't believe that they've been quiet about this system for this long and putting all their eggs in one basket and this was the best that they could of showed us? The console is launching in a few weeks and we really need an incentive to buy the dang thing. As shocking as it is to believe not everybody is excited for Breath of the wild 

I don't know about you guys but I'm pretty worried about Nintendo's future right now and I really don't think that they've learned anything. It's been pretty hard to like them for the last couple of years with their questionable business decisions and such. It's gonna be something when we see this thing launch 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

-Motion/Gyro controls are never going way

This isn't a negative. Motion and gyro controls are a good addition to a console, it just requires developers to know when and when not to use them.

6 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

-What the hell is 1,2 Switch and why does it look so bad

It's like Wii Sports or Nintendo Land, a casual-friendly minigame collection to demonstrate the console's unique features.

• Thumbs Up 6

21 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Right. I think the logical thing to do is to always take rumors with a grain of salt. If we're talking hardware specs, I believe you're confusing her with Emily Rogers. Her specs report was spot on, while LKD never gave full detailed information on specs, from what i can remember. She had said previously that she knows the consequences if she ended up being wrong, props to her for that, but she is taking her lumps today. I'm just actually kind of shocked about how much of this she got wrong.

I actually checked that big write up she did. She said the game may be delayed to September but that she was "confident" that both it and Beyond Good and Evil 2 were going to be in the conference. That obviously didn't pan out. 

I haven't kept up with many of Emily Rogers' leaks but I was referring to reports on the hardware. "Specs" wasn't really the right term to use, so my bad. As far as consequences go, that really shouldn't extend beyond a decrease in trust. I don't think there's any reason for her to receive 'lumps' (verbal abuse, threats, whatever you're referring to) for doing her best to provide us with information.