Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

5 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

*wakes up late*  

Why the hell is NeoGAF down-- oh yeah, fuckin' Nintendo. Alright. Let me get to YouTube.

So, you're telling me... it's got a Wii U gamepad and normal controller. The normal controller's for home play. The sides of the U pad dock off so you can play with the smaller screen on the go and shit, even with multiplayer. And it's gonna be able to handle Breath of the Wild on plane flights?....

Fuck is the problem?

On face value, too gimmicky for some. 

But for Nintendo what else is new at this point hahahaha....eh. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, TCB said:

On face value, too gimmicky for some. 

But for Nintendo what else is new at this point hahahaha....eh. 

Not sure how it's a gimmick really.  On face value, it's a console, but it's a handheld as well.  That's not a gimmick, that's a convenience, be it consumers or developers. 

• Thumbs Up 9

When the eventual commercials start up around launch, I demand Nintendo use this as their theme tune:

No, I'm not sorry.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, QuantumEdge said:

Not sure how it's a gimmick really.  On face value, it's a console, but it's a handheld as well.  That's not a gimmick, that's a convenience, be it consumers or developers. 

You're actually supporting my take on the console thus far.  I haven't really been criticising it,  hahaha. I could see people using the term "gimmick " for the console and not mean to slam the console outright. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, frankly, finally having a single Nintendo system rather than having to buy and manage two separate systems is gonna be a huge convenience and value for money. I honestly didn't think they'd go for it since the logistics would be a problem, but the fact that they seemingly pulled it off is nothing short of amazing. The fact that the Switch leapfrogs both the Vita and Wii U and can feasibly play current-gen console games is nothing short of fucking astounding for a handheld system.

Shame that the actual controls are so bog-"standard", but oh well.

• Thumbs Up 6

2 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

If they can make this thing powerful enough to have some decent parity with the other two PC boxes (wondering how the cartridges will help out with that), then it helps solve the issue of lack of support while also providing, again, the advantage of playing Breath of the Wild in a fucking mid-route airplane.

What's more, if that is the case, it might keep the power obsessed gamers quiet.  Either that, or the fact they can finally play Dark Souls on the bog :P

Personally I'm (cautiously) excited for it, although its use as a portable system is obviously going to be affected by battery life and stuff. I'm actually more excited to be able to play handheld games on a TV in the comfort of my home. 

I really want to see more on Super Mario and Mario Kart, although MK looks more like an enhanced port of 8 at this point. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I woke up early enough to catch the trailer and I'm quite pleased with what I saw.

I think what I'm digging the most is finally getting a sense of just what the fuck the rumors have been on about. I had a really hard time visualizing things like detachable controllers (some of the terrible mock-ups that looked downright uncomfortable did not help), but now it all makes sense. And, while I've never played those sorts of games, the fact that fucking Skyrim is coming to a Nintendo console sounds like a big deal. Not to mention we already know SEGA (Sonic 2017) and Square-Enix (Dragon Quest) are on board, so this could well get some good support, and I hope the system does well.

I was also excited to see tiny glimpses of new Mario and what looks to be an update to Mario Kart 8 (with the two items, I'm guessing it'll be called "Mario Kart Switch"), as well as Splatoon. If anything, I hope this leads to more Wii U titles getting a second chance through the Switch, because I'd love for games like Xenoblade X to get into more people's hands and hopefully see a sequel. Little bummed this means backwards compatibility won't be happening, but I suppose some compromises have to be made.

Only concern is that I think the detachable controllers, could be a little awkward, but I'm not really looking to play games on the go, so either going Gamepad mode to play it at night or leaving the main piece docked and using the controller hub sounds good to me. It'll also be nice to buy new controllers if something happens to them, since I don't think this'll have the same issues with the Gamepad (which is basically irreplaceable without going through Nintendo).

1 hour ago, Mayor D said:

I'll judge it based on what's shown.

So far, not a lot.

And yet here you are, complaining about the things we haven't been shown, and talking about how other people are getting suckered into the Nintendo hype cycle. 

I'm personally really skeptical. A "hybrid" console, as we've come to call it, sounds nice on paper, if only because of the merged libraries, but something about the portable aspect of the Switch doesn't sit right with me. It almost looks fragile, and setting up the little controller doohickeys to go play games on the go sounds like a pain in the ass. I thought the DS/3DS worked for a reason; they feel very portable, fitting easily into a pocket, with a clam shell design to protect the screens from damage. I'm not one for portable gaming but I couldn't envision myself taking this to a park, or doctor's office, or wherever else people are actually supposed to play handheld games. 

At least I'm excited for its potential library-- mainly its first party efforts. As someone who mostly plays games on PC the hardware aspect of consoles is never mind-blowing for me. 

• Thumbs Up 2

The thing doesn't look much bigger than some Apple tablets people carry around with them. And you wouldn't need to undock the controller parts to play if the beginning of the trailer is accurate.

Just now, Nepenthe said:

The thing doesn't look much bigger than some Apple tablets people carry around with them. And you wouldn't need to undock the controller parts to play if the beginning of the trailer is accurate.

I will concede that I am a strange and fussy individual when it comes to bringing electronics anywhere, so please take what I say with a grain of salt. :V

2 minutes ago, Solly said:

And yet here you are, complaining about the things we haven't been shown, and talking about how other people are getting suckered into the Nintendo hype cycle. 

Yeah... that's kinda the point, whyare you getting excited over a system you know nothing about?

Why the hell is NeoGAF down

Red Dead Redemption 2 news blowout.

1 hour ago, Teoskaven said:

Not gonna lie, this presentation couldn't have been worse:

*First of all, the name. Seriously? That's how you call the console that needs to win back all the people you lost with the WiiU and more? I know what it tries to mean (switching between home and portable on the go), but that's like if Sony called the first PlayStation the Sony Laserdisc. The NX placeholder sounded much better as a name.

*Second, the commercial itself: oh boy howdy, talk about being behind the times. How many years have passed yet Nintendo still thinks its stuck in the Wii time period were it thinks showing families and friends integrating mundane stuff with gaming consoles is the perfect marketing campaign? It's like they don't even know what's going on in the world anymore: there are entire groups dedicated to tell how playing with a 3DS in public is shameful, not to mention how the family entertainment factor for party/sports/dance games has decreased drastically to a point that's not profitable anymore. A positive marketing campaign is commendable, but this one was a giant heavily sugar-coated lie just to promote the double aspect of the console. I'm not calling it dishonesty though because i think Nintendo genuinly believes the world works like this.

*About the titles, i'm indifferent, there will clearly be more and of better quality at launch, so i'm not gonna judge what was shown. The new Mario seems fine.

*About the supporting third companies: much like it was said, it can end exactly the same as the WiiU for all we know with stuff like EA and Activision dropping mere months after the console launch. The only difference is that there are more companies listed and some of them were never or barely associated with Nintendo before (From Software and Bethesda for example). Also, how much of these companies have been casted for complete development and not dragged from the 3DS support (like Capcom)? We'll see how this turns out, but it all depends on how Nintendo will play its cards.

*Third of all, the idea of combining a home console and a portable in one is very clever on its own, but what about people that, say, played only on the portable Nintendo systems so far? Will they be forced to buy the whole package (wich being in pair with the PS4 and the Xbox One will be around 300-400 €/$ at least) just to play titles that previously were portable? Mind you, the idea of portable consoles was not only born from a desire to have a game to play on the go, but to have a cheaper alternative to home console. With this Switch, this concept is completely deleted. Just because the next Ace Attorney or Project X Zone will have more polished graphics i will not feel justified to fork all these bucks.

*Fourth, not to mention, this gimmick smells exactly the same of the WiiU and the PSVita to me: complex and effort/money-consuming. How much till we will hear companies telling that the hardware/gimmick combination is too much and will stop developing from it leaving the console as a wasteland? In comparison, the only gimmicks the PS4 has are its blue button and the small touch screen, and even those are barely incorporated in the games. Knowing of Nintendo's past of forcing companies to develop around the gimmicks, this cannot go well.

And this is not even counting the possibility of region locking and the lack of backward compatibility, wich we don't know yet if not from rumors.

What a mess.

Oh yeah what a mess. Blew up in Nintendo's face. Nintendoomed. (Btw most people seem to like the name. I mean are we really gonna shit on the name after the fucking Wii and Wii U? The name is fine as far as Nintendo system names in general go.)

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Yeah... that's kinda the point, whyare you getting excited over a system you know nothing about?

Goes both ways though. 

nintendo isn't even allowed credit for gaf downtime

• Thumbs Up 8

4 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Oh yeah what a mess. Blew up in Nintendo's face. Nintendoomed. (Btw most people seem to like the name. I mean are we really gonna shit on the name after the fucking Wii and Wii U? The name is fine as far as Nintendo system names in general go.)

Seriously, he makes a bunch of points, some not that great, but one or two pretty valid. And we're going to focus on his complaint over the name?

Just now, Mayor D said:

I'm not about to disagree with that, but you're either waiting for more details to make a call or you aren't. I'm not prepared to call it a gimmick, or say that it's probably uncomfortable to hold, or that it's "basically a Wii U" because we really don't know at this point. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Mayor D said:

Seriously, he makes a bunch of points, some not that great, but one or two pretty valid. And we're going to focus on his complaint over the name?

I wasn't ignoring the other points, its just the point he brought up in question that I wanted to ask about since most seem to like the name.

5 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

The times NeoGAF does load, you can see all the talk is about the Switch. The announcement thread on it's own has over 3000 posts, while RDR2's has only around 500.

• Thumbs Up 6

So, assuming this really is going to double as their new handheld, are dual screens gone? Because I'll miss the base DS design a lot.

6 minutes ago, KHCast said:

If you're gonna reply to a post with that many points and only focus on one, maybe just quote the part you were responding to. And maybe dial down the sarcasm. :V

That said, the name rules imo.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm excited for this. Mostly because the system seems powerful enough and the gimmick actually serving the games rather than getting in the way of them. I can't really complain and you guys know me. If there was anything seriously wrong I'd come at it.

Spoiler

DIGITAL TRIGGERS IS HORSESHIT but i'll deal

• Thumbs Up 8

Just now, Captain Fun said:

nintendo isn't even allowed credit for gaf downtime

Lol not even partial credit.

5 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Are we not supposed to have reactions to marketing?

• Thumbs Up 1

If this replaces the New 3DS as Nintendo's flagship portable, it really makes me think about what Pokemon will be like after Sun&Moon...

But yeah, I wonder just how much they're going to focus on this system's portable aspect. Is this the end of the DS-3DS era?

• Thumbs Up 5