Awoo.

Nine Killed in Shooting at historic church in Charleston

Linkabel

Bodies are relocated all the time.

I don't think anyone's calling for the mutilation of a corpse so much as its relocation to an ordinary or military cemetery.

Bodies are relocated all the time.

I don't think anyone's calling for the mutilation of a corpse so much as its relocation to an ordinary or military cemetery.

Look at the context.

The statue of him is being torn down. Since his remains are under it, that logically means there would just be a random grave in the middle of the park where the statue was. For... what reason?

He is being removed from heroic status (which he doesn't deserve in the first place, given he was responsible for the Fort Pillow massacre), which means his body needs to be relocated.

195786298_f213e06da0_z.jpg

Actually, I think an article said it best. Maybe we should keep the statue up just to show how deranged the Confederacy was.

Either way, this guy is no Robert E. Lee, who receives a lot of admiration despite fighting on the wrong side (compare Erwin Rommel). Everything I'm finding points to him being a douchebag.

I don't post much in most current events topics, but I just wanted to say, Sly, that as someone who's seen the statue at least once, AND as much as I wished the actual statue looked that hilarious and dreadful... I'm sad to tell you that the statue that's going to be taken down is actually this one here:

ap-confederate-parks-4_3.jpg

I'm actually not sure where that other statue's from actually. But I prefer it. That gold horse is beautiful.

As someone who lives in close proximity to Memphis and this statue, I'm fine with the ruling. The removal of Forrest is perfectly justifiable. I'm all for keeping history, but that's what museums are for, and he can go there if they want him to. Having him sit around out in the open like some "heroic" figure to admire isn't really giving us a history lesson (besides that we've pretend this guy was cool and brave all this time. Sheesh).

My heart goes out to the families and friends still recovering from the horrible South Carolina shooting as well. Their willingness to forgive and show no ill will (no matter how justifiable it would be to) is astounding and I highly respect them for it. I hope they continue receiving all the love and support they need for as long as they need it.

Well darn.

It looks like the golden horse statue is from Brentwood, Tennessee.

Either way, I do ponder if taking down statues of various Confederate generals will happen on a larger scale soon.

I don't think removing Lee would go over well, but the other generals are probably fair game.

I don't post much in most current events topics, but I just wanted to say, Sly, that as someone who's seen the statue at least once, AND as much as I wished the actual statue looked that hilarious and dreadful... I'm sad to tell you that the statue that's going to be taken down is actually this one here:

ap-confederate-parks-4_3.jpg

I'm actually not sure where that other statue's from actually. But I prefer it. That gold horse is beautiful.

As someone who lives in close proximity to Memphis and this statue, I'm fine with the ruling. The removal of Forrest is perfectly justifiable. I'm all for keeping history, but that's what museums are for, and he can go there if they want him to. Having him sit around out in the open like some "heroic" figure to admire isn't really giving us a history lesson (besides that we've pretend this guy was cool and brave all this time. Sheesh).

My heart goes out to the families and friends still recovering from the horrible South Carolina shooting as well. Their willingness to forgive and show no ill will (no matter how justifiable it would be to) is astounding and I highly respect them for it. I hope they continue receiving all the love and support they need for as long as they need it.

Can we keep the nicer statues in a museum? I mean, if they're beautifully made, there's no reason why they shouldn't be put in a place (or places) where they can be understood within a larger historical context, and they can cease to be rallying points for the white supremacists of the country.

• Thumbs Up 1

For fuck's sake, the guy's been dead for over 130 years. I mean, really, this has gotten to the point where we're really digging up bodies from over a century ago? Doesn't this highlight how out of hand this is getting?

Edit: And what makes ANYBODY think that this will help? All this is going to do, is just add more fuel to the fire. It's going to give more causation for the members of the Klan to continue to do what they're doing. I mean, good God, will somebody stop and THINK about this?

You should probably take your own advice :\

Is there any real reason why this shouldn't be done, beyond the fact that you keep saying "Guys, this is getting out of hand", naw man things got out of hand a long time ago.

And the fact that you're trying to spin this as a terrible really just shows how much you're adding to the problem.

Never mind I really don't think it's unreasonable if something on government property shouldn't be glorifying slavery, racism, treason, etc.

If someone somewhere wants to glorify the Confederacy on private property, fine by me. That's their right. I'm not seeing much reason to keep Confederate leaders in high esteem on government property, though.

Government property is ultimately supposed to represent all the citizens of the United States, and that in mind it needs to try and be as neutral as possible. Seeing someone like Forrest might make some people yell "aww yeah!" but I imagine quite a few aren't.

This isn't political correctness on a rampage (unlike arguably, say, what's going on with the Dukes of Hazard thing). This is simple civic principle at work.