Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice

Radiant Hero Ike

2 minutes ago, FFWF said:

Just noticed something else too, in the second screen, Tails only seems to have ice power, he's missing fire.

A graphics boost is appreciated...  but that was the never the reason why this needed to be issued a delay in the first place. It looked like a carbon copy of the previous mediocre title, and from the tiny bit we get to see... it still looks like nothing has changed. Will some nicer background scenery help this game achieve what it needs to be? I don't think it does.

If they wanted to take a year to sit back and polish, then they should have taken that opportunity to actually work on the parts of the game that needed updating. That needed refreshment. Maybe we will see a bit more as E3 rolls on, but, as a few of us predicted, this delay seems more propaganda related rather than quality control.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Detective Hogfather said:

Just noticed something else too, in the second screen, Tails only seems to have ice power, he's missing fire.

It's probably footage that was recorded before the Ice power was unlocked.

1 minute ago, Detective Hogfather said:

Maybe it's because he seems to be using Fire?

2 hours ago, Ayliffe said:

New trailer? New trailer!

Hmmm, well the game certainly looks better, but that's mainly in the graphics department. Sure it shows that they actually did something productive with the delay, but I'm sure hoping we see more that actually suggests that the gamplay will be more fun!

58 minutes ago, Detective Hogfather said:

56 minutes ago, therealfalconpawnch77 said:

Maybe it's because he seems to be using Fire?

Aye, I think this is it.  The L and R buttons look like they switch element powers, but it doesn't make sense to switch from Fire to Fire, so they made it so that the shoulder buttons always toggle over to the power you don't presently have equipped - the one you do have equipped being displayed in a prominent aura.  That's my reading.  So, another tweak to gameplay/presentation.

That trailer was... extremely generic.  Something about it felt very lifeless and boring, like the trailers for generic knock-off Disney films.  I can't exactly put my finger on what makes it that way, though.  As for the game, I'm going to echo everyone else's thoughts.  The graphics are markedly improved, but the gameplay looks pretty much identical.  Even worse, despite the new trailer, we still have pretty much no new information on the game itself.  So yeah, I'm not exactly in any more of a rush to get the game than I was previously.

• Thumbs Up 3

Here's hoping that we see more improvements in the future, besides graphics.

I have a feeling the trailer was leaked. IGN is the only channel that has it so far.

2 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

I have a feeling the trailer was leaked. IGN is the only channel that has it so far.

Exclusive article. That could be it

Or they could be an Impatient Gaming Network who decided to release the trailer early.

I'm glad to see something did happen during the delay. I dunno what else they changed, with us having really not a ton to go off of in the first place, but it's a marked improvement over something that was a marked improvement over what was already a better game, so they're you go

I do wonder if it was a leak since it comes a day before the anniversary of when the game was announced.

Yeah, the gameplay looks the exact same as before. That's not very exciting to see, but I'm not angry or anything, either. I mean, I was already planning on getting the game based on what we saw last year, anyway.

No, what disappoints me is the fact that, as far as the game's story and ties to the cartoon (by the way, where's that season 2 announcement trailer, SEGA? I'm waiting...) go, we have learned absolutely nothing new. We got to see one very brief new cutscene clip, and that's it.

Suppose I haven't been following this game, what's the story? I know nothing about the story from these trailers. When are we gonna see D-Fekt, and what's he like? Which characters will we be seeing from the TV show, if any? I know I'd like to see if Dave, Perci or the Beaver made it in. Is the writing going to be any closer to that of the TV show than Shattered Crystal was? Can I see some actual cinematic clips from this game, rather than from the cartoon?

Speaking as a fan of the Sonic Boom TV show, and looking at this game as what it is (basically, a cartoon cash in), I don't really care about what their mediocre gameplay has to offer. I want to see if this game will serve as a nice companion piece to the cartoon, better than either of the previous two. Going off this trailer, I really have no idea. I realize the general gaming audience wouldn't care about those things, but this game clearly wasn't made for that audience. This game is pretty much made to cash in on fans of the cartoon, and it has to do more than just shove the actual cartoon's clips in my face to hold my interest. Yes, I know I said a minute ago that I was already planning on getting this game, but they don't actually have my money yet, and you better believe that when the new Sonic Team game is announced, Fire and Ice is gonna fall right off my radar if they don't show me that the game has what I would want out of it as a Sonic Boom game.

• Thumbs Up 3

I was hoping we'd get to see the Boom versions of Rouge and Blaze get introduced, with appropriate boomification.

"I am Burning Blaze. I need chilidogs for my rings!"

"Heh, look at that Master Emerald"

Well, that was mildly disappointing. 

Although it does look like the CG scenes that were new looks on par with the show actually, I mean Shattered Crystal's CG scenes were fine but they didn't look as good as the show. So that's pretty neat.

But yeah, I have no idea what's happening in terms of the game's story (because that's what matters the most from a new Boom game, the story) but yeah, just using most of the clips from the show doesn't really entice me to get excited for the game really, it makes me wish the second season would start already.

Also, small tidbit it seems like Gene was the one would picked out the music for this trailer so that's neat, I guess?

Spoiler

There does seem to be some graphical updates to the game but you would think that with a year long delay, the game would look much better than what we see in the trailer.

If the game doesn't turn out to be a hit, I wouldn't be surprised at all so I atleast hope the game will be better received than Shattered Crystal (it's obviously going to be better received than Rise of Lyric).

So yeah, disappointed but nothing to make me drop muh pre-order (THE MEME WILL LIVE DAMMIT!).

Ehhh...

I think I liked the beach background from the 2015 trailer, now it looks zoomed in and darkened. (The whole stage does actually so in a way the whole thing looks better to me in the 2015 trailer). So background wise the former version is better. As far as the folks talking about story, I wouldn't bother with that. At all. Being honest the plots of the show are better than the plots of the games thus far, and I'd say that's going to continue here, especially with Pontac/Graff writing it whereas, if I'm not mistaken, the show is written by other/better people?

So yeah... Wouldn't try diving too far into that aspect of the game.

Regarding the debate about the delay, while it has improved the graphics to various degrees, the primary purpose was likely one, to cash in on the 25th anniversary, and secondly, to match the airing of the new second season of the show.

I'd say the game play looks okay... The game play in Shattered Crystal was mediocre, but I still like the game and this game definitely looks likeable as well. Not loveable granted, but definitely likeable and I'm looking forward to it.

18 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

As far as the folks talking about story, I wouldn't bother with that. At all. Being honest the plots of the show are better than the plots of the games thus far, and I'd say that's going to continue here, especially with Pontac/Graff writing it whereas, if I'm not mistaken, the show is written by other/better people?

So yeah... Wouldn't try diving too far into that aspect of the game."

I'd still say it's important for me too be able to glean something about the story/writing from the trailers. Didn't someone say that there were going to be more ties to the cartoon in this game than the last one? I'd like to be able to see for myself how true that is from the trailers. 

Also, for me personally, the story is what gives me a reason to do anything in a game.It doesn't have to be amazing or anything, but, Pontaff or not, I'd like to know who the villain is, why I'm going be visiting the beach or the icy area, why I have fire and ice powers, et cetera.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Hyper Enesephus said:

I'd still say it's important for me too be able to glean something about the story/writing from the trailers. Didn't someone say that there were going to be more ties to the cartoon in this game than the last one? I'd like to be able to see for myself how true that is from the trailers. 

Also, for me personally, the story is what gives me a reason to do anything in a game.It doesn't have to be amazing or anything, but, Pontaff or not, I'd like to know who the villain is, why I'm going be visiting the beach or the icy area, why I have fire and ice powers, et cetera.

I think the main focus is progression akin to the classics. The plot doesn't so much have to do with the enemies/locations as those games, except in the manual and random appearances by the foes.

I think the plots are kept simple and disconnected because the show and games related to it are supposed to be gateways to the bigger continuities of the series and thus are more accessible with simplicity. Now, the main series sticking with simple plots and no development of characters, that we can get mad about.

3 hours ago, Shaddy the guy said:

I think the plots are kept simple and disconnected because the show and games related to it are supposed to be gateways to the bigger continuities of the series and thus are more accessible with simplicity. Now, the main series sticking with simple plots and no development of characters, that we can get mad about.

I suppose, but this is about BOOM/Fire and Ice not the main series. XD

I still say that the graphics look better in the 2015 version of the game. I dunno what it is about it but the darkened and zoomed in look just doesn't work for me. I guess the sand in the background looks better in a way. Are those leaves or vines by the way?

you know? i think it was a very ok comertial.... but i liked the music they used on the first one they did XD

but well... hey! look at this fan edit version someone did :D

3 hours ago, Drawloverlala said:

you know? i think it was a very ok comertial.... but i liked the music they used on the first one they did XD

but well... hey! look at this fan edit version someone did :D

0-10 - Too Much Energy/Edge

Needs more hammocks. lol

Wow! Hey, look! It's the same exact shit we were shown last year! It's the same damned thing as Shattered Crystal, but with the super amazing Fire and Ice gimmick.

3 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Wow! Hey, look! It's the same exact shit we were shown last year! It's the same damned thing as Shattered Crystal, but with the super amazing Fire and Ice gimmick.

Not really. You've got new clips of game play and stuff. You can see how they zoomed in and darkened the locations, (people consider this a graphical improvement I suppose...) and what I'm guessing are new CGi clips that look pretty neat.

Plus you've got the swap clips showing how characters, well, swap, and it looks neat.

• Thumbs Up 1