Awoo.

Nintendo @ E3 2015

Hero of Legend

I can totally agree with the 'We all hyped up things we thought were happening, but didn't.' I mean, that's exactly what I did.

Quoting this one but so many others have said it in one form or another.

I do not follow Nintendo news.

I do not particularly care about Nintendo stuff. 

I am slightly the same for Microsoft.

In the past few E3's I havn't been impressed with either Microsoft or Nintendo (especially Nintendo) since they announced the Xbox One or Wii U. I thought both are kinda daft with terrible service support and either a lack of games I'm interested in, or a lack of games.

Now, this years E3, if you look at my comments in the Microsoft topic I was actually quite impressed with it from a service standpoint in fact if you check out the status updates from that time as well as posts in the topic, it looks like I was the only one on SSMB who actually liked any of it, I thought it was really good and for a time thought 'no way can Sony top this'. 

Which brings me onto this...

The whiny asshole gamer crowd that watches E3 should feel ashamed of themselves because they sound like a bunch of spoiled brats who only want HYPE and MEGATON. Sony gets praised because they had that hype that these people feed off of. 

Right ok... so let me get this straight.

"First up The Last Guardian gameplay and release year!"

"NEXT New game from gurellia which we almost kept completely secret, here it is!"

"NEXT new game from X Studio!"

"NEXT New game from Media mollecule we've not shown before!"

"NEXT FINAL FANTASY 7!" 

"NEXT SHENMUE 3!"

Is a bad thing!? These announcements came instant, it was rapid, and they showed gameplay for virtually EVERYTHING. That is what I want to see, that is what the people who watch these things want to see.

Now compare it to Microsoft for a second.

They did more or less the same thing except for one difference, they spent a lot of time talking about backwards compatibility which we now know isn't as great as it first sounds, other service details... then they got into games, a lot of multi platform titles, but also a lot of CG only stuff.

Now lets look at the Nintendo digital event... did they show games? Yeah a couple, a lot of them we already knew about... and they then decided to do... bring out developers to tell stories... which went on and on... My god what the hell is this?

Show me reasons why I should buy your systems! Not tell me a story!

But hey maybe Nintendo had no idea how unpopular these things would be...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbPFwUiIN14

powers-540x302.png

And less than 24 hours before their video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CNw_ZJbBg4

I can bring up a lot more examples if you like?

Shall we turn to EA's conference for a moment? EA's conference was also quite abysmal, one huge reason why it became so dull and unpopular was that Pele segment which he talks about his life for nearly 7min and they show nothing to do with videogames... that's great if you have some kind of interest in Pele, but kinda shit if you're trying to sell videogames.

Lets go back to Nintendo... Just announce that the Wii U is a legacy system already, they might as well have just said we have nothing to show or just had a 10min long video considering what was on offer for new and current buyers.

Anyone on the fence over what console would not be convinced with anything Nintendo showed, absolutely nothing. Sony and to a point Microsoft seem to know who both their perspective and current customers are as well as who the E3 audience is, they've both learnt how you do these conferences by now, hell just compare Sony's from this year to last, there was no long segments on anything, even the really popular stuff, they kept stuff quite short and to the point, even their VR segments were not stupidly long, gone are the days of 'well lets just dedicate half the conference to this controller or optional thing.  

They know they messed up and knew it was going to be bad just by how quickly that apology came. It was like a punchline to a joke, much like how when Sony showed their Vita section at the end of their con, the camera cuts away to a guy laughing. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Did you not see Microsoft, EA, or Ubisoft's yesterday? Sony had to come and save the god damn day. That day was almost a total lull and then Ubisoft had to go and piss on the Rayman fanbase once again and announce nothing of value. 3 more Tom Clancy games. Big fucking whoop. TrackMania But Bigger is cool, but I really cannot bring myself to give a damn.

Just gonna leave thus here

https://youtu.be/AB6P5gpNan0

*whistles and walks off*

Just gonna leave thus here

https://youtu.be/AB6P5gpNan0

*whistles and walks off*

That was the only amazing thing from Ubi's conference. Other than that? 

Boring Boring, Very Very Boring.

• Thumbs Up 1

My point was that he said nothing of value.(though he may have just specifically meant Rayman wise) SP was a pretty big announcement whether you like the games or not. It was critically acclaimed and a was a huge surprise.

Leave my developer stories alone.

It's not like they were talking about something completely irrelevant like what they like for lunch. The stories tie into how the games we see are developed while also serving to personalize the individuals discussing the conceptual processes. It makes me think they give a damn. I like that stuff in the same vain I like the far-more irrelevant puppetry and animation shit. If the dev stories go away as a result of this then we've lost a little bit of something that makes these events special.

To me, as a person without expectations of what was going to be there, the only egregious problem was the pacing and timing of reveals. Star Fox probably should've been the closing game with more time spent on it, to let people walk away feeling hyped, while the new Zelda game should've opened up the show instead. Have Paper Jam as the center game. I think that would've allowed a better sense of highs and lows, without actually changing much content, and it wouldn't have set up any promises of a new Mario platformer (another annoyance of mine, admittedly).

To me, the ideas and content are great and should stay. Instead, Nintendo needs to get a better handle on how to play to people's hype that naturally comes with E3, even if we know most of their content going in (ex. We knew KH3 would be there, but that didn't stop the build-up from being amusing and further aiding the hype.) The way in which information is received can affect people's reactions. I hope that's the lesson Nintendo take away from this.

They use to have the Iwata ask E3 developer segements when they still held conferences. Nothing would have really stopped them from posting these after the event. The only one that gave me infinite grumps was the Yarn Yoshi Amiibo story. That just wasted time and space.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Yoshi one was my favorite one behind Star Fox's, because fuck y'all Yarn Yoshis are adorable enough to be talked about. It's also where I learned about the cute Amiibo Yoshis. To me, the most boring dev story was about the new Zelda. Seemed more informative than particularly personal. Not that I'm not a fan for behind-the-scenes, matter-of-fact stuff like "the reason there's only three Links is because a stack of four was too tall. *shrug* x3," but I didn't get much personal value out of that one.

• Thumbs Up 2

I like the Dev Stories as well, Nintendo likes to show they have actual faces backing them with stories that inspire them instead of being a giant faceless cog machine.

Lets go back to Nintendo... Just announce that the Wii U is a legacy system already, they might as well have just said we have nothing to show or just had a 10min long video considering what was on offer for new and current buyers.

Thing is, they can't say the Wii U is a legacy system because it's their Home console. It may be their worst selling, but that doesn't change the fact that if they were to announce that, everyone who owns their systems would be beyond pissed knowing they bought something last year or this year that's gonna have minimal support. Nintendo cannot afford that, even in the state they're in.

I like the Dev Stories as well, Nintendo likes to show they have actual faces backing them with stories that inspire them instead of being a giant faceless cog machine.

Like I said. All fine and Dandy to have and while interesting at the end of the day it was padding for not having enough content. But alas its like that year when we were transitioning from Wii to Wii U where the Wii  was barren beyond belief. I guess its the same here and it will set up for next year

I think the dev stories would've worked a bit better near the release of the games in their own directs (or just something they post up in the ehop before a games release) moreso than in the digital event since, while they were cool, they could've just been held off until later. To be perfectly honest though I don't think nintendo really didn't have a whole lot to show this year which is probably why we didn't get much during the event.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the dev stories would've worked a bit better near the release of the games in their own directs (or just something they post up in the ehop before a games release) moreso than in the digital event since, while they were cool, they could've just been held off until later. To be perfectly honest though I don't think nintendo really didn't have a whole lot to show this year which is probably why we didn't get much during the event.

Which brings to mind this. Why release a Direct at the beginning of the month. I don't remember the other games but announcing Dr.Mario Miracle Cure as an Eshop title ready to download during the event could have been very interesting,

Developer Stories shouldn't have been part of the event. They dragged on and on, ruining the pacing. They should've just put them online afterwards.

Don't get me wrong, I really do like developer diaries since it's always interesting to see who the people are behind these projects. For example the Starfox Zero one I enjoyed because it was nice to see where Miyamoto's inspirations came from (though I did sort of know about them already). My problem was that these developer diaries take up a lot of time in the Digital Event, meaning that there is less time for games. Maybe make 'em shorter next time or move these developer diaries to the Treehouse or summat.

• Thumbs Up 2

Why not just lessen the length of the developer stories and/or actually show longer gameplay demonstrations?

• Thumbs Up 1

Usually Nintendo's extra interviews with the developers and  stuff like that is put to the side in the form of Iwata Asks or something, and I think that was for the better. It was there for the people who were interested in that sort of thing to find, but events like this where we should be seeing game demonstrations and announcements went uninterrupted. That's how it should be. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Why not just lessen the length of the developer stories and/or actually show longer gameplay demonstrations?

Trust me when I say that the stories themselves were not bad. Its just when a 15 minutes x 3 dev stories are in your 1 hour event you start sweating that they dont have much to show for their content

Yeah, frankly, I don't think the Direct itself was that bad. We knew most of the content, and personally, I figured most of the games announced would be spinoffs. The main thing is the order of titles, as well as additional things they announced BEFORE the Direct that really messed everything up. Then they ended it very badly.

Its not the reveals so much as it is the pacing. For having most of the games in their lineup solely first-party games, its honestly not that bad, and they also restricted their announcements to only 2015 and early 2016, which also lessened the amount that could be announced.

Retro Studios is still working on at least one project, probably even two. There's a rumor that Next Level is still doing a Wii U title (Federation Forces is a smaller budget spinoff title anyway), and we've still got Zelda U.

I bet Retro is doing a spinoff and a 3D Donkey Kong game for Wii U. That's what I think they're doing right now.

• Thumbs Up 3

I liked the Developer Stories, but they could have done with being a bit shorter and being interspersed with more things that the people who don't like the Developer Stories actually cared about.  It was very clear in the Direct that new first- and even second-party games were pretty thin on the ground.  Nintendo just plain didn't have much to show.

• Thumbs Up 2

NOA's twitter release list, is missing Devil's Third and Fatal Frame 5(which was at E3)

CHuxWOiWoAAc54j.jpg

Oh and Freedom planet, but that is an indie game

NOA's twitter release list, is missing Devil's Third and Fatal Frame 5(which was at E3)

CHuxWOiWoAAc54j.jpg

Oh and Freedom planet, but that is an indie game

Makes the list look bigger

Weren't needed really, if you added on Devil's Third and Fatal Frame 5 would only be one short, and they could have thrown on Fast Racing Neo, or Freedom Planet even 

Yeah, it doesn't make much sense that they completely ignored Devil's Third and Fatal Frame since they ARE releasing this year. What, do they want it to be kid friendly?

Yeah, it doesn't make much sense that they completely ignored Devil's Third and Fatal Frame since they ARE releasing this year. What, do they want it to be kid friendly?

Well, the list is capped at E10+, and RP(though SF could be Teen), though I guess the only reason FEXSMT(Now GIRFE), made it on is because its collab on a first party IP, while those are third party and co-owned IPs respectively, and the latter is on the E3 website(which I guess co-ownership rates it) 

I'll agree there's some odd choices I mean Devil's Third and FFV would have mixed up the Digital Event pretty nicely and would have been a nice kickoff for both. So yeah that's wierd