Awoo.

Kojima leaving Konami after MGSV due to internal fallout / Reduction in KojiPro Senior Staff (Rebranding)

Carbo

For those who don't recall, Konami's Twitter account had this to say: http://www.videogiochi.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/what-is-going-on-konami-lol.png Yeah, it was a joke, but how nowadays people had been turning it on them (for good reasons) it ( the "We are already Demons" part) was conveniently recently taken down.

• Thumbs Up 1

That sounds like some fanboy's wet dream. Yet, this is from Nikkei, which is trustworthy.

Crazy.

Annnnnd, it was a misunderstanding:

Why is Japanese so hard for the Internet sometimes? Here's a quick translation that tries to stay as faithful to the original text as possible:

ゲームソフト「メタルギア」シリーズで知られる著名ゲームクリエーターの小島秀夫氏が、15日付でコナミデジタルエンタテインメントを退社した。新会社を設立し てゲーム制作を続け、ソニー・コンピュータエンタテインメント(SCE)のゲーム機「プレイステーション(PS)」向けなどで販売するとみられる。

Kojima Hideo, a famous video game creator known for the Metal Gear series has left Konami Digital Entertainment as of December 15th. He will form a new company where he will continue developing video games, with plans to release on platforms such as Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE)'s PlayStation.

コナミ時代の部下と新会社を設立する。代表作「メタルギア」シリーズの版権はコナミ側に残るため、新作の開発に着手する。最新作についてはSCEと最終交渉し ており、PS向けに優先販売するとみられる。

He is forming the new company with people who worked under him at Konami. The rights to the Metal Gear series, for which he is most known, remain at Konami, so he will begin working on an all new title. Final negotiations with SCE are underway for this new game to debut on PlayStation.

小島氏は「マリオ」で知られる任天堂の宮本茂氏と並ぶ世界的なゲーム開発者。緻密なストーリー作りや映画の手法も取り入れた映像表現で評価が高い。今年9月に 発売したゲームソフト「メタルギアソリッド5」は世界で500万本を超える大ヒットを記録した。

Kojima is a world famous video game developer on the same level as Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of Mario. He is highly praised for his elaborate stories and use of movie techniques to create impressive visual imagery. Metal Gear Solid V was released this September and became a massive hit, selling over 5 million copies around the world.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=189347210&postcount=828

He's creating his own independent studio with talks for it to be a time exclusive on PlayStation.

Edited by Marcello

That sounds like some fanboy's wet dream. Yet, this is from Nikkei, which is trustworthy.

Crazy.

Annnnnd, it was a misunderstanding:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=189347210&postcount=828

He's creating his own independent studio with talks for it to be a time exclusive on PlayStation.

Heh, a studio  itself being a timed exclusive. Well if anyone were gonna pull that of,  I'm not surprised  it's Sony.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Kojima starting his own company...okay, someone predicted this really early but I have no clue who. Last mention of this prediction I recall was from an Extra Credits episode on the difference between Western indie games and the Japanese indies.

There should have been a bingo, something with options like "Metal Gear indie spiritual successor", "Kickstarter campaign" and similar.

For once, I completely understand the timed exclusive for this. Kojima may be somewhat rich, but making a new studio still costs a ton of resources among other things. If Sony's willing to pony up for his start up, more power to them.

• Thumbs Up 4

Good to hear Kojima has severed ties with Konami and has started a new journey with Sony.

For once, I completely understand the timed exclusive for this. Kojima may be somewhat rich, but making a new studio still costs a ton of resources among other things. If Sony's willing to pony up for his start up, more power to them.

Sony know Kojima's reputation alone is enough to generate massive hype and game sales, even if some of his games are mediocre like MGS4 and MGSV. This is a win win situation for both Kojima and Sony.

Hopefully we'll still get the horror game collaboration between Kojima and Del Toro. Just won't be called Silent Hills #FucKonami

I'm sure his next project will be very successful. If he decides to do something similar to MGS then fine. Although it would bee interesting to see a totally different brand-new IP.

I doubt it'll be a Metal Gear spiritual successor, given that he's wanted to be done with Metal Gear itself for a very long time now.

That said, I'm curious as to what he's got cooking up. I hope it's a Zone of the Enders successor. And while I'm not a fan of horror, it would be heartwarming to see him team up with Del Toro to make a horror game, since I'm sure people would be excited for it.

Confirmed by Sony itself:

I hope this means well for Kojima. Nontheless, i'm curious of what games will come out of this partnership.

Fucking finally. Konami was a prison, and a prison that Kojima sorely needed to escape. I really hope the best for him, and #FucKonami.

Never seen Kojima with a beard and stash...and he STILL doesn't look any older than 30.

• Thumbs Up 1

Heh, a studio  itself being a timed exclusive. Well if anyone were gonna pull that of,  I'm not surprised  it's Sony.  

Kojima's next game will be a console exclusive to the PS4. So there's a chance that it'll be available for PC. Don't know if the PC version will also be simultaneously released though.

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/677005899253334016

Sony Computer Entertainment Enters Into An Agreement With Kojima Productions

The First Software Title Created by the Newly Formed Kojima Productions will be Console Exclusive to PlayStation®4 System

TOKYO, Dec. 16, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that it has signed an agreement with Kojima Productions, a newly formed studio by the acclaimed game designer Hideo Kojima, to develop its first software title as a console exclusive to the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) computer entertainment system.

"PlayStation®'s history is one of game innovation and great new franchises," said Andrew House, President and Global CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. "Hideo Kojima has been a huge part of that history, and we are therefore delighted that he has chosen to bring his brand new project to life in partnership with PlayStation. We look forward to working with him on an exciting new game and warmly welcome him to the PlayStation family."

"I will be taking on a new challenge by establishing my own independent studio, and I am thrilled to be able to embark on this journey with PlayStation, who I have continued to work with all these past years," said Hideo Kojima, Game Designer, Kojima Productions. "I cannot wait to deliver, with PlayStation, a game that will become a compelling franchise."

SCE will continue to expand the world of PS4 to deliver entertainment experiences that are only possible on PlayStation.

So glad that Kojima's out of Konami's hands. One of the worst gaming companies ever.

• Thumbs Up 4

Its gonna be wired not seeing Kojima talk about Metal Gear anymore but I look forward to his new baby (even though its for PS4 only....damnit.)

Kojima Productions new logo:

kjp.jpg

The Kojima Productions logo differs drastically from its relatively simple earlier iteration. The familiar fox has been replaced by an ornate skull wrapped around something more mechanical.

“I’ve always loved astronauts, and [the new Kojima Productions logo] is designed so it can be seen as a medieval knight or an astronaut’s helmet,” Kojima said. “The concept is, with new technology and a pioneer spirit, we want to bring you to a new realm – within the digital world, I mean – we want to travel together with you to a new realm to which no one has gone before.”

He continued, “As for the skeleton, we’re homo sapiens – people of wisdom – but we’re also homo ludens – people who play – and the concept behind this logo is that: With new technology and a pioneer spirit, we’ll deliver play to a new world.”

Looks pretty cool. Kind of makes me think of the Borg from Star Trek: The Next Generation....

""We are the Borg Kojima. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."

Kojima Productions IGN interview

Kojima isn’t ready to give any details on what Kojima Productions’ PlayStation project is quite yet, and it’s likely that very very little, if anything, has even been decided. But the early team told IGN what its philosophy and goals will be for the nascent project.

"I want to create something that’s what people expect, but at the same time will have something new that people haven’t seen before," Kojima said, noting specifically that "it will be a complete game."

Yoji Shinkawa added, “We’ve been working on a franchise that is beloved and has recognizable characters. One of my big goals is, visually, with whatever characters we create, to go beyond that, to be more recognizable, more beloved. That’s definitely one of the goals I have when it comes to the art side.”

For its first project, Kojima said, "I’m thinking smaller-scale, not too many people, and focusing on game creation at first." From there, Kojima says it’s possible the studio could expand beyond games.

While Hideo Kojima wants to deliver what his fans expect from him -- “I think that’s games” -- video game development isn’t necessarily the only thing Kojima Productions is interested in long-term.

"The focus is on digital content, so we could consider movies, animations, anything," Kojima said. "But first I think people expect games from me. That’s where I want to put my focus. Once we have an established IP in games, something solid that satisfies people, then we can consider movies and videos."

Kojima reiterated once more that he’s still interested in working with his Silent Hills partner Guillermo del Toro, whether it’s a game, film, anime, or something else entirely.

With the new Kojima Productions, the team aims to maintain the studio's pedigree for making high quality games.

I'm...focusing on game creation at first.

“We’ll have more agility,” he said. “We’ll be able to do things that are more edgy, preserving the quality we’ve had so far, while at the same time finding new challenges and exploring new areas.”

Shinkawa told IGN he’ll be overseeing the entirety of Kojima Productions’ art, including "characters, concepts for the backgrounds, concepts for the mechs," and more.

“One thing that’s different is I want to accept challenges and do things I wasn’t able to do before,” Shinkawa added. “I want to expand, on a personal level, the things I can do.”

While at Konami, Kojima and his team built the Fox Engine, an impressive software framework capable of high quality photorealistic graphics. It was a massive undertaking that took several years of development.

For his new studio, Kojima Productions is still discussing and analyzing what framework the team will use.

“We could go either way,” Kojima said, “whether it’s using an existing engine or making another engine. We’ll have to do some research before making a decision on that one.”

“I make games in Japan for a global market,” Kojima said when asked about his view of console sales’ downward trend in Japan. “As long as there’s a market out there in the world for making games, I’m not too focused on what’s happening in the domestic market in Japan.

“However, because I make games for all the world, I want to make games that go to a global market. If there are very fun games are out there, I believe they will eventually find their way to Japan. People in Japan will start consuming them.”

"One thing that happened through this period, the voice of the fans, the people who expected a lot, they gave me courage," Shinkawa said. "They made me feel really good. I felt really gratified having worked so hard in creating games and doing the art I create. I want to correspond to the fans, to get back to them, and I think working again with Mr. Kojima is a great way to do this."

Kojima added, "I’ve been in this industry for 30 years. I turned 52 this year. I’m getting to a new start, and I am very confident. I’ll keep creating games until the day I die. Rest assured I’m making more games, something more fun, something you haven’t seen, and it would be great if I could count on the fans to support me in this."

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hideo Kojima Working On A New Action Game That Fans Of AAA Titles Will Enjoy

By Sato . May 10, 2016 . 6:09am

image: http://www.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/b49b427d_thumb.png

b49b427d

Hideo Kojima of Kojima Productions shared what they’ve been up to in an interview with Famitsu magazine. [Thanks, Hachima.]

After leaving [Konami] you immediately opened a new studio, but did you actually want to take some time off?

“I did want to get some rest, but taking some rest means my life tempo will go out of order, and nobody would forgive me for that. I’ll need about a year to warm-up. As for now, we made the logo and webpage, been at the temporary office.”

About the logo

“I can’t say yet, but the secret is found in the logo. The whole body [of the logo] actually looks super cool, and we’re planning on making it into a figure.”

The reason for making the first title with SIE (Sony Interactive Entertainment)

“I’ve had offers come from all around the world, but they all work in Hollywood method, and I didn’t feel like doing any kind of detailed presentation. That’s when I was wondering who would trust me in me with just a rough concept, and that’s when I found SIE. They’re giving me a vast amount of freedom, which makes it very easy to work with.”

About the new title

“It’s an amazing game. Along with the plot, characters, and game system, I’m brainstorming everything equally. Some parts are very new, so I’ll need to experiment with it.”

“I won’t say that it’s an open-world title, but those that enjoy playing today’s AAA titles such as The Division and Uncharted will be able to play it smoothly. When it gets announced some may thing that it’s not as way-out as they had expected, but I’m sure they’ll understand once they play it. The genre is action.”

About VR

“I’d like to make something for it, but we don’t have anyone. I believe VR holds a key to game development.”

“VR gave me a close sense of when I played on the Famicom as a child. I definitely believe that a new world will be born,” added Kojima Productions artist Yoji Shinkawa.

Read more stories about Kojima Productions on Siliconera.

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2016/05/10/hideo-kojima-working-new-action-game-fans-aaa-titles-will-enjoy/#50otPJwJWUD4PCWW.99

Kojima's at it again with something new and big coming!