Awoo.

Nintendo x DeNA Conference; Nintendo games on mobile devices, New "Project NX" platform announced

Nintendoga

Nintendo won't dive into the VR arena again without a system that doesn't cost the earth and doesn't make your eyes and/or head hurt. The Virtual Boy is still infamous for its faults, and it flopped hard, they will not head back there lightly. If and when they do, you can bet they've got something a bit special to show us.

• Thumbs Up 3

This isn't the first time they've directly denied something and it came true anyway, though.

• 4 weeks later...

Supply chain players gear up for new Nintendo console - Mid-2016 release?

Japan-based Nintendo is planning to launch its next-generation games console in 2016 and has recently asked its supply chain partners to start pilot production in October, at the latest. The console will be manufactured by Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry), but Pegatron Technology is aggressively trying to snatch some of the orders, according to sources familiar to the plan.

Pegatron and Foxconn both declined to comment.

Nintendo in March announced its plan of releasing Nintendo NX in 2016 and has started visiting its supply chain partners recently. The orders are expected to be finalized in February or March 2016 and mass production will start in May or June 2016, while the console's official launch may take place around July, the sources said.

Nintendo reportedly is looking to ship 20 million Nintendo NX in the first year. The shipment volume of Wii U is estimated at two million units in 2015, according to Digitimes Research.

Component suppliers such as Foxconn Technology, Macronix, PixArt Imaging, Coxon Precise Industrial, Nishoku Technology, Delta Electronics, Lingsen Precision Industries and Jentech, are also expected to land orders from Nintendo for the new console, the sources added.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20150702PD204.html

E3 2016 reveal, releasing by Christmas next year, maybe? Then again, if they ramp up production in May or June, they could release it even earlier. The rumors that NX is simply a slightly higher specced Wii U might well be true, then. I don't really know how to feel about that, as I'm a Wii U owner already and it'd take a really nice set of exclusives to prompt me to buy into it so soon after U'ing up. I can't see anything along the lines  of a slightly up-specced Wii U selling 20 million units either, unless they're bringing out the big guns for it.

Could this be to the Wii U what the New 3DS XL is to the 3DS?

Could be the 3DS successor. Also it's unlikely its merely a powered up wii-u, whatever Nintendo has planned is more than that

Could it be that Nintendo is going to repeat the Wii Mini with the Wii U? A price slashed, poor quality system (see also, PS3 "slimmest", and that last Xbox 360) for the last year of the console's life, before a proper next gen launch in 2017?

Or maybe it's a Wii U+, intended to replace the current model?

Could it be that Nintendo is going to repeat the Wii Mini with the Wii U? A price slashed, poor quality system (see also, PS3 "slimmest", and that last Xbox 360) for the last year of the console's life, before a proper next gen launch in 2017?

Or maybe it's a Wii U+, intended to replace the current model?

Eh, I have a hard time seeing that happening, you can't really get any smaller than the wii-u, and it already has all the power Nintendo wanted for this console, its not like the 3DS where there were at least a few good reasons to upgrade it, and I doubt there are any games they are making that would justify splitting the userbase.

The Nintendo and DeNA partnership encompasses 5 games for 5 IPs.

At Pocket Gamer Connects in San Francisco, DeNA West CEO Shintaro Asako said that the first game produced between Nintendo and DeNA will be out by the end of 2015.

Four more will be out by the end of March 2017.

The five games will each be in a completely different genre. "We want to make sure out of those five IP that we can end up attracting hundreds of millions of people," said Asako.

Asako says the deal with Nintendo is "the most crucial partnership" the company has ever done, and that's despite working with licenses like Transformers, Disney, and Marvel. But it's also a challenge, as "people are expecting a lot".

The DeNA boss points to Glu's Kim Kardashian game as an example of how a big brand and a mobile literate firm can work together to put out a huge hit. Though, I'm not sure how fans will feel to hear Super Mario compared the owner of the world's most famous arse.

DeNA has asked to clarify Shintaro Asako's remarks on the firm's plans with Nintendo.

The CEO said, when talking about the genres of the first five games, "I understand some people like RPGs, casual games. That's why we decided to work together to create five games, hitting on different genre-utilizing IPs".

Little update on what's planned

http://gonintendo.com/stories/238046-dena-nintendo-deal-will-include-5-games-in-5-different-genres#comments

DeNA/Nintendo deal will include 5 games in 5 different genres

08 July, 2015 by rawmeatcowboy |  Comments: 3 

The following info and comments come from DeNA West CEO Shintaro Asako...

"I understand some people like RPGs, casual games. That's why we decided to work together to create five games, hitting on different genre-utilizing IPs. We want to make sure out of those five IP that we can end up attracting hundreds of millions of people,"

- first game produced between Nintendo and DeNA will be out by the end of 2015
- four more will be out by the end of March 2017
- the five games will each be in a completely different genre
- Nintendo is "the most crucial partnership" the company has ever done
- it's also a challenge, as "people are expecting a lot"

EDIT: Ninja'd

• 3 months later...

The first of the smartphone games will be talked about tomorrow.

Actually, it'd be late tonight or VERY early tomorrow depending on what time Nintendo does it.

Actually, it'd be late tonight or VERY early tomorrow depending on what time Nintendo does it.

It also depends on where you are, though. Kyoko is from the UK, we're both from North America. For us it'll be very late tonight or early tomorrow morning, but for Kyoko it will be tomorrow.

• 5 months later...

I'm really not understanding why we're getting a Fire Emblem game, and how on earth a Fire Emblem mobile game would even work.

Also, I think we're definitely getting Animal Crossing U at this point. With the timing of the app's release,. and them saying it'll work with console AC games, having an AC game as the Christmas title is one of the easiest things they can do (it can still release on NX later, too)

1 minute ago, JaidynReiman said:

I'm really not understanding why we're getting a Fire Emblem game, and how on earth a Fire Emblem mobile game would even work.

Also, I think we're definitely getting Animal Crossing U at this point. With the timing of the app's release,. and them saying it'll work with console AC games, having an AC game as the Christmas title is one of the easiest things they can do (it can still release on NX later, too)

Fire Emblem has become popular and fits mobile easily that's  why we're getting it. It won't be much different the DS/3DS games wit their touch controls.

I doubt we'll be getting a Wii U Animal Crossing. Makes no sense for that type of game to be released on a dead platform that'll be replaced a few months later. The next Animal Crossing will be for NX.

2 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Fire Emblem has become popular and fits mobile easily that's  why we're getting it. It won't be much different the DS/3DS games wit their touch controls.

I doubt we'll be getting a Wii U Animal Crossing. Makes no sense for that type of game to be released on a dead platform that'll be replaced a few months later. The next Animal Crossing will be for NX.

I disagree. Obviously it'll be released on both, it'll just be on Wii U a bit early. Makes even less sense to release an Animal Crossing app that's supposed to interact with a console game with no console game to play it with upon release.

They've repeatedly stated that Wii U will still be supported (at least to a small extent) even after NX launches anyway.

I just don't see Nintendo announcing anything big for Wii U anymore. AC Mobile will be it's own game, that will eventually have some sort of connectivity with Animal Crossing NX. I don't see anything odd there.

5 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

They've repeatedly stated that Wii U will still be supported (at least to a small extent) even after NX launches anyway.

Yeah, I don't buy that.

15 minutes ago, Marcello said:

I just don't see Nintendo announcing anything big for Wii U anymore. AC Mobile will be it's own game, that will eventually have some sort of connectivity with Animal Crossing NX. I don't see anything odd there.

Yeah, I don't buy that.

I don't buy it'll be supported extensively, but they've said this quite repeatedly. Sorry, I just don't see them repeatedly bringing this up without actually releasing new titles... mostly just cross-release titles, but regardless, I don't buy that they'll say this, REPEATEDLY, and not deliver at least o a small extent.

I see very little chance there won't be at least a couple more games. And again, Animal Crossing would be a fairly easy cross-platform release.