Awoo.

Nintendo x DeNA Conference; Nintendo games on mobile devices, New "Project NX" platform announced

Nintendoga

It's depressing and hopeful simultaneously, because if this was anyone other than Nintendo doing this, that's exactly what we should expect, but since it is, we shouldn't.

• Thumbs Up 7

Project NX is the exact reason what is stopping me from getting a New 3DS XL. I knew when it was coming stateside that the successor was on the horizon.

Let's see what comes of this

Maybe they will push cheap game demos to drive software sales.

Project NX is the exact reason what is stopping me from getting a New 3DS XL. I knew when it was coming stateside that the successor was on the horizon.

On the horizon? dude this thing won't even be out for another 2 years max. I think you will be fine upgrading.

Let's see what comes of this

Maybe they will push cheap game demos to drive software sales.

I don't even know why you're claiming this is linked to handheld anyway. We have NO IDEA what this is. And yeah, they're not announcing it officially until NEXT year. Its not coming out for at least another two years at this point.

EDIT: Though if you've already got a 3DS and you don't want to upgrade that's up to you. More power to you. new 3DS isn't so significant of an update, really.

I'm interested in the concept of Project NX but it's not something I'm entirely interested in going out and spend money on it.

On the horizon? dude this thing won't even be out for another 2 years max. I think you will be fine upgrading.

There does indeed seem to be a predictable gap of at least a year between Nintendo announcing a new primary platform and it being released, maybe another year between the first public mentions of it and the big reveal. As it will very be talked about next year, a November 2017 release seems probable.

I don't think we should expect bland bullshit microtransactions from Nintendo, if you wanna see how they handle it, you could look at Rusty's Real Deal baseball on 3DS. I imagine their mobile games will have similar creativity.

Nintendo currently have the most talented creators in the industry- i expect their mobile forays will be great.

• Thumbs Up 4

There does indeed seem to be a predictable gap of at least a year between Nintendo announcing a new primary platform and it being released, maybe another year between the first public mentions of it and the big reveal. As it will very be talked about next year, a November 2017 release seems probable.

Then 3 years, either way holding out on a new Nintendo handheld for the NX now is a dumb move your gonna have a looooong painful wait if by then a ton of good 3DS titles come out.

I don't think we should expect bland bullshit microtransactions from Nintendo, if you wanna see how they handle it, you could look at Rusty's Real Deal baseball on 3DS. I imagine their mobile games will have similar creativity.

Nintendo currently have the most talented creators in the industry- i expect their mobile forays will be great.

I think a bit of a concern I have is not Nintendo, but DeNA. A few of the free-to-play games I've played from Mobage/DeNA (At least the ones that came out in US) pretty much follow the same bullshit microtransactions tropes. Nintendo is most likely going to be deciding the business models of the games and if that's the case, than thank god.

as long as its backwards compatible with my wii u games ill be fine.Seeing how I practically bought the damn thing for Smash Wii U and a few other selective titles I better be able to play them still with this new NX system.

as long as its backwards compatible with my wii u games ill be fine.Seeing how I practically bought the damn thing for Smash Wii U and a few other selective titles I better be able to play them still with this new NX system.

Assuming, of course, the NX is the successor to the Wii U. They never said that was the case, and even showed the NX alongside Wii U and 3DS, implying that its not intended to replace either of them but more likely act as a "third wheel." My bets would be on a Nintendo branded smart device such as a Nintendo Phone.

Then 3 years, either way holding out on a new Nintendo handheld for the NX now is a dumb move your gonna have a looooong painful wait if by then a ton of good 3DS titles come out.

This is a good year to buy a 3DS. You've got the New 3DS XL, arguable the best version of that system, and a strong back catalogue of games from which to choose. Yes sir, buy this year and you won't regret it, but buying next year with an eye on the NX (if it's a handheld) is a mistake. Buyer's Remorse abounds down that road, but so perhaps do lower prices. Decisions, decisions...

You could say I have scars with past consoles. I got the Wii when it was in its prime. NSMBWii, Galaxy 2 being what hooked me and Colors and DKCR being icing on the cake. Then the Wii U was announced not long after and the Wii got a massive dry spell. And I didn't want to spend more cash on another console.

With the 3DS I got in with the 3DS XL and I have my game collection is higher than my wii and it just passed my gamecube collection. Its getting pretty close to my Gameboy color collection of games with 1 more game to add to the collection when the Mario edition of puzzle and dragons releases.

I like the New 3DS XL's additional stick for its Smash attack uses in Smash 3DS and I'm sure there is going to be  a game or two that uses is features but getting it and then seeing that NX might be the next handheld is what I'm worrying about. Basically the buyer's remorse that Patticus is talking about.

@Jaidyn: remember when the DS was the "third pillar" yet ultimately replaced the GBA?

You could say I have scars with past consoles. I got the Wii when it was in its prime. NSMBWii, Galaxy 2 being what hooked me and Colors and DKCR being icing on the cake. Then the Wii U was announced not long after and the Wii got a massive dry spell. And I didn't want to spend more cash on another console.

With the 3DS I got in with the 3DS XL and I have my game collection is higher than my wii and it just passed my gamecube collection. Its getting pretty close to my Gameboy color collection of games with 1 more game to add to the collection when the Mario edition of puzzle and dragons releases.

I like the New 3DS XL's additional stick for its Smash attack uses in Smash 3DS and I'm sure there is going to be  a game or two that uses is features but getting it and then seeing that NX might be the next handheld is what I'm worrying about. Basically the buyer's remorse that Patticus is talking about.

@Jaidyn: remember when the DS was the "third pillar" yet ultimately replaced the GBA?

No I do not since I wasn't paying attention around that time.

EDIT: Either way, if this isn't a new handheld console or home console, the only other possibility is a Mobile/Tablet type of device, which wouldn't act as a replacement to Wii U and 3DS, it'd just be Nintendo's version of that platform. We'll have to see how things play out.

Assuming, of course, the NX is the successor to the Wii U. They never said that was the case, and even showed the NX alongside Wii U and 3DS, implying that its not intended to replace either of them but more likely act as a "third wheel." My bets would be on a Nintendo branded smart device such as a Nintendo Phone.

I highly doubt the NX would be released to be used alongside the Wii U or  not an actual successor to the Wii U. Companies have never done that unless it was a handheld.

I highly doubt the NX would be released to be used alongside the Wii U or  not an actual successor to the Wii U. Companies have never done that unless it was a handheld.

My point is, we have no idea what it is. Obviously if its a home console then its the Wii U's replacement, but that was never stated. People are jumping the gun on it. We have NO IDEA what NX is. Its some sort of new platform. That's -ALL- we know about it. Until we know more we can't possibly start to speculate if its going to replace anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well the New!3DS is going to have exclusive games at some point, with 3DS being phased out you might just be SOL but to upgrade.

Hey, this is the life of Nintendo fans, we get great consoles/handhelds that last shorter then normal console lifespans.

We do? The normal lifespan of a console is 5-6 years, tops. And the GBA only lasted for 3 years before the DS came out, though we still got main GBA titles.

We do? The normal lifespan of a console is 5-6 years, tops. And the GBA only lasted for 3 years before the DS came out, though we still got main GBA titles.

That is short considering we have other systems who lifespans are normally 8-10 years.

EDIT: Oh my god!

EB Games opens preorders for the Nintendo NX (Gonintendo)

Just....Fucking what?!

That is short considering we have other systems who lifespans are normally 8-10 years.

EDIT: Oh my god!

EB Games opens preorders for the Nintendo NX (Gonintendo)

Just....Fucking what?!

8-10 years? What are you talking about? Last-gen was the ONLY gen to last that long. Past gens were always a lot shorter. X-Box was 2001-2005. Playstation was 1994-2000, PS2 was 2000-2006. Master System was 1985-1988.

Do you... honestly know what the hell you're talking about?

Unless you're referring to the TOTAL time that a console is still being developed for, which is COMPLETELY different from the time a console first debuts and the time the next console debuts.

EDIT: PS3 was only 7 years. 360 is the only console that even made 8 years that I can tell before the next console was released. And EVERY console (except for Dreamcast) is still supported for a little bit after the next console releases.

• Thumbs Up 1

My point is, we have no idea what it is. Obviously if its a home console then its the Wii U's replacement, but that was never stated. People are jumping the gun on it. We have NO IDEA what NX is. Its some sort of new platform. That's -ALL- we know about it. Until we know more we can't possibly start to speculate if its going to replace anything.

all i'm saying is that by the off chance it is a Wii U successor, it better play Wii U games seeing how the Wii U wasn't released that long ago and took awhile to gain momentum.

if it's anything else then it's whatever to me. I usually give in and buy the latest Nintendo whatever sooner or later. The idea of the N3DS pissed me off for a good while especially since I haven't been a 3DS XL owner for that long before it's reveal. Actually, the only reasons why I even wanted a N3DS was because the offered a SE MH4U bundle....and I got it.

all i'm saying is that by the off chance it is a Wii U successor, it better play Wii U games seeing how the Wii U wasn't released that long ago and took awhile to gain momentum.

if it's anything else then it's whatever to me. I usually give in and buy the latest Nintendo whatever sooner or later. The idea of the N3DS pissed me off for a good while especially since I haven't been a 3DS XL owner for that long before it's reveal. Actually, the only reasons why I even wanted a N3DS was because the offered a SE MH4U bundle....and I got it.

Yeah, if its a Wii U successor I'm pretty sure it'll be backwards compatible. Nintendo is a lot better with that than Sony and MS.

8-10 years? What are you talking about? Last-gen was the ONLY gen to last that long. Past gens were always a lot shorter. X-Box was 2001-2005. Playstation was 1994-2000, PS2 was 2000-2006. Master System was 1985-1988.

Do you... honestly know what the hell you're talking about?

Unless you're referring to the TOTAL time that a console is still being developed for, which is COMPLETELY different from the time a console first debuts and the time the next console debuts.

EDIT: PS3 was only 7 years. 360 is the only console that even made 8 years that I can tell before the next console was released. And EVERY console (except for Dreamcast) is still supported for a little bit after the next console releases.

Well you don't have to be a defensive dickhead about it, but yes I was referring to the total amount of time. lifespan begins and ends when a company supports it and cuts support for it which is about 8-10 years.

Nintendo support is a tricky thing though because it supports its consoles in post-successor lifecycle for a good while, I think its only been in the last 6 years we have been hearing about them cutting off official support for the NES and its other former consoles.