Awoo.

The Web-Slinging webhead himself Spider-Man Joins the MCU

Inkling Cooper

Yeah, I'm sorry but I really don't see where this huge issue is coming from. Yes, he looks a bit younger than the character they're trying to portray but keep in mind this is just a still of him. His voice and mannerisms will contribute to how he's perceived which we can't get a grasp of from a photo. Considering he actually is 18, I think he'll be alright here. Surely he wouldn't be in the running if the studio thought he both looked and acted too young for the role.

remember that moment in the harry potter books where ron insists that kids in the early years look too young, showing a lack of awareness that overall his generation looked that young when in the first years in hogwarts

Lmfao what

The kid's literally a year younger than me. My little sister looks older.

I just wanna wait until we see him in action before I judge.

• Thumbs Up 1

Marvel were never bound to go with an obvious choice when it came to Spider-Man considering they clearly wanted an actor who could grow into the role as the movies went along. Asa could probably do a good Parker but not sure whether he'd be a good Spidey. It wholly depends - there's not a big frame of reference to pull from when it comes to him.

Granted, Marvel shortlists have never amounted to much. Neither Hemsworth or Evans were on the shortlist for their respective leading roles before they were confirmed. The only exception was Cumberbatch as Strange but that was because we found out about that while he was in the middle of signing.

Regardless, don't expect the obvious choices when it comes to who the new Spidey will be. It's probably not going to be who you want. Chances are it will probably be an unknown, but that's okay. They're going with a different take on it, and for what it's worth, if there's one thing that Marvel can always hold credit for no matter what your opinion on their movies are, it's their casting department. No matter who they pick, assume that by their track record, that they have a perfectly good reason for it. Chris Pratt almost didn't even get casted if it weren't for Marvel's casting director, because both Gunn thought it was a bad idea at first and Pratt originally had no interest (due to general delusion from being turned down of leading roles in films).

Perhaps. I still don't see it in him, but whatever. Dylan looked perfect for the role and I'd never even heard of him before word got out. 

Eh, I prefer Peter being a bit older. Like in the older movies. I liked seeing him struggle between college, work, paying rent while living in a crappy apartment and having a decent social life in Spiderman 2.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmmm he does look young (as in, 16 years old young) but I must be the only one here who also thinks he looks pretty cute! Seems like the Michael Cera type you know; a nerdy awkward guy who somehow manages to be a chick magnet.

Anyway what I care about most is his acting ability, not his looks.

• Thumbs Up 1

They both look the part, definitely not Hollywood attractive and either of them could pull off the geeky high school recluse look that Andrew Garfield failed on every account. I wouldn't mind either choice

• Thumbs Up 3

When Asa Butterfield was first namedropped I was surprised but it immediately clicked with me. He'd be a pretty good Peter, I think. I'm afraid he might not be able to capture Spider-Man's cockiness we'll see. All Marvel's casting choices have been excellent so far so I'm sure it'll work out.

Well they look suitably geeky for the role, bit young but...yeah, if that's what they wanna go for. ^^;

I hope that whoever they choose is really good for the role of Spider-Man.

Hm, they both look pretty good to me. I'm not sure what everyone's complaining about (aka known as that one jerk who's for some reason judging these peoples' acting skills by their appearances). Sure, they both look pretty young but the best Spider-Man portrayer was in the fact the youngest one. 

In terms of looks I think he could fit the role. He's no Andrew Garfield, that's for sure (Garfield is haaawwt), but I feel that Garfield had a very different approach to what Butterfield will possibly do. What really matters though is how well he performs as Peter Parker, and just as importantly, Spiderman. I'll hear them out on this. As much as I (figuratively and literally) love Garfield, going with a younger actor is a much better direction when it boils down to authenticity and longetivity of the actor.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director update: here are the apparent frontrunners now.

• Jonathan Levine (50/50, Warm Bodies)
  • Ted Melfi (St. Vincent)
  • Jason Moore (Pitch Perfect)
  • John Francis Daley and Jonathan M. Goldstein (Vacation)
  • Jared Hess (Napoleon Dynamite, Nacho Libre).
"The tone they are searching for in the coming of age tale is John Hughes humor and emotion, plus all the superhero stuff." 

Source

I'm not sure how to feel about this...

God dammit Marvel I wanted Martin Freeman, can't you do anything right?!

...'Spider Man: The New Avenger'? OH MY GOD PLEASE LET THIS BE THE TITLE.

thank god for the Lord and Miller movie because I'm not liking any of the news on this

• 2 weeks later...

Disappointed. I can't see him in the role honestly. Peter Parker maybe, Spider-Man not at all. 

Dylan O'Brien you were robbed </3

• Thumbs Up 1

>Latino Review

Yeah, I'm gonna wait until either Sony or Marvel Studios say something themselves, because LR aren't very trustworthy.

http://www.latino-review.com/news/asa-butterfield-is-spider-man

Latino review seems confident that Asa Butterfield has gotten the role.

Oh. I don't know what to think of this if it's true. I don't know if he can pull off Spider-Man's cocky personality but hey, we'll see how he fares.

I've only seen Hugo, so that's all I have for impressions on Asa.

>Latino Review

Yeah, I'm gonna wait until either Sony or Marvel Studios say something themselves, because LR aren't very trustworthy.

Latino Review are usually on point when it comes to comic book rumors. At this point I'm inclined to believe them considering that Spider-Man is supposed to have his Civil War scenes shot within the Summer and they need to iron out the casting fast.

Don't mind the choice at this point really. He looks the part, and if it's the 80's era Spider-Man they're pulling from there's a good frame of reference for them to pull from him already.