Awoo.

Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time

Leon K Fox

I can't believe it doesn't have Future in the Pal boxarts, it does everywhere else even in Japan. I wonder why they didn't include it on those though?

A Crack in Time looks to be the best R&C so far, imo. It just look awesome and I played TOD and Q4B they were both great. Q4B was short, but it introduced a lot of cool new concepts like the detachable wrench thing.

Edited by Unknown?

I can't believe it doesn't have Future in the Pal boxarts, it does everywhere else even in Japan. I wonder why they didn't include it on those though?

From what I remember, they ommited it because they couldn't get it to translate right into certain European languages.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's a bit bizzare. I mean, the French version of Unleashed has an added sub-title.

unleashed-french-cover.jpg

I assume they omitted "Future" simply so that it fit better.

Thanks for the advice. I got a new PS2, but after walking into a local entertainment store, I may end up playing Sly Cooper first (they have three different second-hand copies!) before Ratchet & Clank.

That's a bit bizzare. I mean, the French version of Unleashed has an added sub-title.

unleashed-french-cover.jpg

French isn't the only language in Europe. It might work with some, but it most likely doesn't work with many. And believe it or not, in many languages it's easier to translate a whole sentence than just one word. So it doesn't surprise me that they chose to ommit it.

That's what I was saying. "So that it fit better", as in, so it doesn't take up too much space. Feathers was saying it may not have translated correctly. They could re-arrange/add things if they wanted do *points to Unleashed box* or they could just get rid of it.

EDIT: Don't tell me French isn't the only language in Europe- I'm not an idiot. I just chose it for my example since I happened to know of an example in French.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Bad Quality Post 1

That's what I was saying. "So that it fit better", as in, so it doesn't take up too much space. Feathers was saying it may not have translated correctly. They could re-arrange/add things if they wanted do *points to Unleashed box* or they could just get rid of it.

EDIT: Don't tell me French isn't the only language in Europe- I'm not an idiot. I just chose it for my example since I happened to know of an example in French.

I didn't call you an idiot. I just used your own example. In other words French, being a language that originated from Latin, (and other languages from those times) has a very wide array of words for just one meaning (like all Latin languages). It's alway easy to find one that fits and works for translation. But many languages aren't quite like that, so the task of translating anything becomes much harder. Not impossible, but really hard. That's probably why they chose to ommit the "Future". Or perhaps, it didn't sound well in some translations. If a tittle has a weird sounding name it has more chances of being ignored I reckon. Then again, it could happen the exact opposite.

Besides, R&C is a well known franchise in Europe, so adding " Future" would probably bring some confusion.

• Thumbs Up 1

As I said, the title was changed because they couldn't get the word Future in that context (with the right connotations etc.) to translate well in all the required languages, so they saved themselves the hard work and omitted it.

Kikizo: It's not the first time you've changed the name of a game in this series for its release in Europe, can you tell us why you took out the word 'Future' in for the European release?

Schneider: I personally can't, that is a territory decision. In North America, we put Future in it because we wanted to symbolise a new beginning for Ratchet, a new galaxy, we're looking ahead to new adventures. And in Europe I think each territory, well obviously there are localisation challenges but in addition, I think each territory has its own unique message for the game that they want to communicate as well.

Kikizo: But I agree with the thinking behind calling it Future though. They must have told you what their thinking was?

Schneider: They did, and most of it was localisation to be honest, and that the symbology of 'Future' didn't translate well, so that's their prerogative, and that's cool.

http://games.kikizo.com/features/ratchet_ps3_iv_p1.asp

Edited by FeathersMcGraw
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the advice. I got a new PS2, but after walking into a local entertainment store, I may end up playing Sly Cooper first (they have three different second-hand copies!) before Ratchet & Clank.

Sly is good, but I like R&C more.

Not necessarily, the NTSC and PAL Box artworks for Tools of Destruction were completley different.

NTSC

ratchet__clank_future_tools_of_destruction_frontcover_large_TmLuIFzNgzE59QD.jpg

PAL

ratchet--clank-future-tools-of-destruction.jpg

In my opinion ours looked alot better, but that's besides the point.

http://www.amazon.com/Ratchet-Clank-Future...9988&sr=8-1

61s0iW6yAlL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

It's the same box art... D=

But it does note that the box art is NOT final... @.@

Edited by Spicylicious Girl

http://www.amazon.com/Ratchet-Clank-Future...9988&sr=8-1

61s0iW6yAlL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

It's the same box art... D=

But it does note that the box art is NOT final... @.@

Hm, interesting. I thought they would give the Americans a different box art as they did with ToD, but it looks like I was wrong. (unless that isn't the final box art and it gets changed further on down the line)

Edited by Leon K Fox

Thanks. I hope they have a retail version of A Crack in Time in the USA, and not just for download on PSN.

Uh...why would it be download only? A Crack in Time is an actual full length Ratchet & Clank game like Tools of Destruction. The only reason Quest for Booty was Download only was its length and size: 4 hours and only a couple of hundred MB.

Is anyone else having as hard of a time resisting watching all of the trailers and gameplay videos of this game as I am? ^^;;; I'm so friggin' excited for this game, especially after (very very quickly) completing Quest for Booty.

As odd as it sounds, even though I'm incredibly excited for the game I haven't watched much of anything trailer-wise. Maybe four videos including the very first one with no gameplay.

As odd as it sounds, even though I'm incredibly excited for the game I haven't watched much of anything trailer-wise. Maybe four videos including the very first one with no gameplay.

Neither have I, I've just watched the initial teaser trailer and the story trailer, but that's pretty much it.

Uh...why would it be download only? A Crack in Time is an actual full length Ratchet & Clank game like Tools of Destruction. The only reason Quest for Booty was Download only was its length and size: 4 hours and only a couple of hundred MB.

Oh OK, thanks. I haven't played Quest for Booty so that's why I didn't know.

Is anyone else having as hard of a time resisting watching all of the trailers and gameplay videos of this game as I am? ^^;;; I'm so friggin' excited for this game, especially after (very very quickly) completing Quest for Booty.

I am like SO excited for this game. ToD was the first PS3 game I ever enjoyed on it. Ever. Last February I completed QfB too and I'm really >really< wanted to know what happened next.

So this is a day ONE purchase for me when it comes out. All we need is a freaking release date now damnit! XD

I'm going to steal somebody's PS3 just to get this game:

And MGS4

And InFamous

And etc.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm going to steal somebody's PS3 just to get this game:

And MGS4

And InFamous

And etc.

MGS4 is a great game, but MGS3 will always be my favorite. You NEED to play inFamous, I also think you should play Resistance 2 as well. Resistance 2 >>>>>>>> Halo 3.

• 2 weeks later...

MGS4 is a great game, but MGS3 will always be my favorite. You NEED to play inFamous, I also think you should play Resistance 2 as well. Resistance 2 >>>>>>>> Halo 3.

With the PS3 now $299 and the Slim coming out at the same price, that future seems to be approaching fast.

Unfortunately, no car means I can't get one (yet). I'm practically stuck here at my college, so I mooch off whoever can get me around. B)

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic