Awoo.

RUMOUR: Next Sonic Game Allegedly has a working prototype - "Another new gameplay style? But we just got one...no...two!"

Willsy

Thinking about it, being pets doesn't explain how two of them ended up in Heroes' special/bonus stages.

That is strawgrasping.

I suppose next we're going to start going about how the Chaos Emeralds ended up in those same special stages for no reason? Nevermind we're talking about a game that had little explanation within its overall narrative beyond "Sonic Heroes" nor any explanation why Metal Sonic imprisoned Eggman and lead to others reaching his Egg Fleet? Anyone wanna go there?

EDIT: I mean really, you're going to argue that while being pets was one of the few reason Team Rose even went on the adventure in the first place to rescue one of these pets?

I used a strawman because the point behind something out of left field having no explanation other than gameplay reasons is such a ridiculous idea that it should be obvious that it is. 

Wisps should've been brought up because you don't build an entire game making the presence of some species, and then use them afterwards in a throwaway fashion. You're essentially undermining their purpose they've been put in. This is like Knuckles sticking around for no reason: it's bad design from a narrative perspective and minimizes the point of their presence to "oh, well, they're back just because it's convenient".

I've read this first sentence over a few times and I'm noooot quite sure what you're trying to say, you lose me at the end there.

This second part though, I read it and the only thing that flashes through my mind is the word "Shadow" over and over again.

The point that they're making is that this isn't a good enough reason to explain their presence in the game, especially since, frankly, the way that they were implemented weren't "fun" at all.

Subjective. I thought they were fun. But screw my opinion, right?

That is strawgrasping.

Is it? I dunno man I don't see any stated explanation for how two childlike creatures apparently piloted a hot air balloon into another dimension.

I suppose next we're going to start thinking about how the Chaos Emeralds ended up in those special stages for no reason?

Wouldn't be the first time that discussion happened.

Is it? I dunno man I don't see any stated explanation for how two childlike creatures apparently piloted a hot air balloon into another dimension.

Wouldn't be the first time that discussion happened.

How about the key that allowed the heroes to access that same dimension? I suppose you want to go asking how they found a key next?

Well, y'know...I really feel the need to have the game itself explain it...

Well, y'know...I really feel the need to have the game itself explain it...

Well what do you think people are arguing about for the Wisps being in Lost World then? :V

...I was being facetious there.

Like, there's no in-game explanation for two chao in a balloon slipping between dimensions, and no one seems to be bothered by it, but some wisps showing up is apparently a Serious Issue.

Subjective.

Of course, it's subjective. This doesn't really address my argument, though.

I thought they were fun. But screw my opinion, right?

No, mang, of course you're free to think they're fun. Again, the argument that is being made is that "adding them just for the sake of the Rule of Fun" isn't a good enough explanation for the Wisps themselves being in Sonic Lost World instead of expy-serving powerup gadgets. They are established characters with their previous major game appearance being that they all went back to their home planet once the Egg Planet Park voiped out of existence by the Hyper-go-on black hole. To have them show up on the Lost Hex--a geometric planetoid that, as far as we're aware, is orbiting within Earth's atmosphere--all willy-nilly for no reason is, in our opinion, really kinda lame.

Like, there's no in-game explanation for two chao in a balloon slipping between dimensions, and no one seems to be bothered by it, but some wisps showing up is apparently a Serious Issue.

Because the two chao in a balloon slipping between dimensions was given no narrative context for them to care, unlike the Wisps whose whole background had a narrative context that ended up being arbitrarily dropped. You may not see it as a big issue, but I certainly know where the other side is coming from with this over why it irks them.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be fair the two chao were more of a cameo of sorts in the special stages more so than having some story purpose for it but I do agree that the wisps being on the lost hex for no reason isn't much of an issue, I mean heck if we did have to have an explanation for them being there it probably wouldn't be anything to waste anybodies time with besides them just being there.

Because the two chao in a balloon slipping between dimensions was given no narrative context for them to care, unlike the Wisps whose whole background had a narrative context that ended up being arbitrarily dropped. You may not see it as a big issue, but I certainly know where the other side is coming from with this over why it irks them.

The wisps in SLoW weren't given any kind of narrative context. There's no word of anything being dropped. If some chao don't need an explanation to pop up in a special stage, why do some wisps need an explanation to pop up on a lost planet?
  • Thumbs Up 1

The wisps in SLoW weren't given any kind of narrative context. There's no word of anything being dropped. If some chao don't need an explanation to pop up in a special stage, why do some wisps need an explanation to pop up on a lost planet?

Their whole background is a narrative contexts, as I just said. That gets ignored for their presence in Lost World with nothing explaining why they're on Lost Hex.

And the reason why is because after having a game imply in its ending that they returned to their home planet, then it would certainly help connect things by giving an explanation to them still being around when we see them again elsewhere. The lack of which is the part that irks those complaining about it.

And nothing explains what chao are doing in the special stages either. They just show up, in complete defiance of not being dimensional travelers before.

You can certainly concoct an explanation for why they're there, but apparently that isn't enough for the wisps, because...?

Honestly if there's nothing new to be said, we're just chasing our tails at this point. It just seems like such a silly thing to get hung up on.

And nothing explains what chao are doing in the special stages either. They just show up, in complete defiance of not being dimensional travelers before.

You can certainly concoct an explanation for why they're there, but apparently that isn't enough for the wisps, because...?

Nevermind that there's nothing that explains why the Chaos Emeralds are there, or why Metal Sonic imprisoned his creator for no apparent reason. Nevermind that Heroes' narrative is poorly told anyway, so I don't see how using it as a counterexample for the Wisps is a strong point on your end.

Meanwhile, Colors was at least coherent with its narrative, explaining why the wisps were around and involved, and even why Eggman was making a multi-planetary amusement park. Come around Lost World, and they're just there why again? We were shown the Wisps went back to their planet in space after rescuing Sonic, so how are they on Lost Hex?

If you find it silly to question that, that's fine. But I don't think people are being silly for wanting some connections and explanations for why something they thought went back to their home planet is somehow still around. It's the least they're asking for (well aside from being fun gameplay-wise, but that's not what I'm talking about right now).

Aaanyways..

So I think the next Sonic game being like Adventure with parkour would be good, yep yep. Lost World's gameplay being dropped wouldn't bother me too much, since it's kind of what I was hoping for anyways tbh. Boost gameplay sadly got old after 3 games (7 including the portable entries) even though it was lots of fun, but whatever they do, let's hope they learned some lessons after SLW.

• Thumbs Up 8

Man, I could give less of a shit about the Wisps being in SLW, like, personal preference, but I dont care. I just assumed some stayed, big deal, end of story, moving on.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aaanyways..

So I think the next Sonic game being like Adventure with parkour would be good, yep yep. Lost World's gameplay being dropped wouldn't bother me too much, since it's kind of what I was hoping for anyways tbh. Boost gameplay sadly got old after 3 games (7 including the portable entries) even though it was lots of fun, but whatever they do, let's hope they learned some lessons after SLW.

I hope they are going for that route; after Lost World got criticized for lack of speed I think Sonic Team are going to focus on more supersonic stuff; speed is the name of the game after all nowadays. Can't wait to see what the PS4/XB1 have to offer in terms of improvements and such. 

I hope "speed is the name of the game nowadays" isn't their  mentality... No that I don't want speed but that could end up really bad. I get your point though. I really do hope adventure makes a return GAMEPLAY wise. 

I think it's kind of a fruitless endeavour to think "Man, I hope Sonic Team focus on this or that." The same goes for any other kind of medium "I hope their new album is a return to their roots," or "I hope this film is funnier than the director's last." You end up being upset because the thing doesn't fit the qualities you arbitrarily assigned to it, instead of enjoying it for what it is. I'm not saying it's not okay to criticize things you like, but if you end up disappointed because you wanted Sonic Adventure 3 (or whatever)... that doesn't feel like constructive criticism.

Saying that, I don't think they'll ever return to an Adventure style of gameplay, and to me that is good, that whole era was kinda done. Sonic Team might even consider Sonic Boom to be filling that void anyway.

Someone said earlier that the Boost games were kinda done as well, but to me they were only just nailing that whole method. I think it says a lot about how Sonic Team are treated by some fans (as a team that don't get their own character), but Unleashed came out of the gate so strong, and Colours and Generations just made that formula work better. I thought they could have done more with it.

And Lost World? Man, people seem to be giving that game so much grief but to me it did so much right. I do consider it a step back from the Boost games, but there was so much about it that I enjoyed. I loved the Parkour, it solved a massive issue Sonic games have always had when Sonic ran into bricks walls or other random "level dressing," now he could just hop and keep going. It made so much sense for his character. People always say they want a return to Adventure style levels, and I felt like Lost World would occasionally do just that. Every now and then (admittedly not often) the levels did open up to a more open style, it makes me wonder what people mean when they say "return to an Adventure style." 

At the end of the day I just want to play a game I enjoy. Apparently it doesn't matter if the game is good or not. According to some of you guys Lost World isn't a good game, but I sure as hell enjoyed it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Huh, I thought that the wisps in Lost World were native to the Lost Hex because most of them are different to the ones in Colours, rather than being the ones staying around Earth.

As for the rumor: uhhhhh... i dunno? I'll wait and see what happens. Although my hopes are that the gameplay is a combination of Adventure and Lost World's styles with parkour being Sonic's special ability like Tails' flying or Knuckles gliding. But it's not like I'm holding my breath for it. Whatever the new style is, I just hope that I can enjoy it.happy.png

Last time Sonic Team tried out Sonic Adventure gameplay it turned into the POS known as Sonic 06, so if they are going down that route again I'd be wary.

I don't care what you say, I still want Parkour to return too! I just think it's such wasted potential not to use it again since it's the one thing that could work brilliantly if it was polished up a bit more. D:

• Thumbs Up 2

Last time Sonic Team tried out Sonic Adventure gameplay it turned into the POS known as Sonic 06, so if they are going down that route again I'd be wary.

As far as I understand it, 06 had a very short dev time. I'd be more wary of that than I would simply the gameplay style.

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually think the boost had further potential. I know that this will never happen, but imagine a massive open level, a bit like the Sonic GDK Green Hill Paradise but larger. I think that kind of level design would really fit the boost.

It'll never happen though, which is sad. :(

I don't care what you say, I still want Parkour to return too! I just think it's such wasted potential not to use it again since it's the one thing that could work brilliantly if it was polished up a bit more. D:

Well if Sonic Boom  - Wii U (which is pretty much an Adventure type game) turns out to be half decent, then Sonic Team will have a great reference point if they want to return to the Adventure route again.

What I would really like to see is an open-world adventure type game with the parkour idea implemented and obviously tweaked. 

...and I do mean open world

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't know why but I just can't see a massive open world Sonic game being very fun. It's a nice idea, but I feel like it would be too easy to just end up getting lost and frustrated. It's hard to know without actually playing and getting a feel for it, but thinking about it just makes me go "eeeeeh."