Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

I hope it really is new stuff. If it is, I might tune in and listen. Should be good!

The irony is that the actual early footage of Sonic Boom isn't that graphically impressive.

That's actually why no one thought the original shots were bullshots. They looked like Wii U graphics.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's actually why no one thought the original shots were bullshots. They looked like Wii U graphics.

There are actually games on Wii U that look a lot better too!

There are actually games on Wii U that look a lot better too!

It doesn't matter what looked better. The early shots, in particular those of that beta area, looked very nice and the final game does not look nice.

• Thumbs Up 4

It doesn't matter what looked better. The early shots, in particular those of that beta area, looked very nice and the final game does not look nice.

They were never that impressive though, that's the point.

They were never that impressive though, that's the point.

I think you're playing the revisionist history card here. Would we really be claiming RoL never looked good from the start if the game turned out to be alright, let alone good?

• Thumbs Up 3

Diamond is simply stating that the game's original graphics could have easily been done on the Wii U. It's not that it's crap, it's that they're not pushing the limits.

Bayonetta-2-1.jpg

vs

sonic-boom-3_0.jpg

Even the Beta Hub World doesn't look that amazing. I mean it looks nice but it's not like it screams "impossible for Wii U". The models don't have that many polygons. The textures are low res. It doesn't look like a PS4 game, it looks like something that would fit well on the 360 and PS3. The above screenshot actually looks like it might be running on Wii U. It doesn't look as good as that PC engine version.

Bonus: Crysis 360

crysis-xbox-360-1317824890-010.jpg

BRB picked this engine because it could create environments like the one shown above.

Sure there's a downgrade in graphics but the Xbox 360 version of Crysis still looks impressive. That's on technology half a decade older than the Wii U. The Wii U has a GPU that's pretty powerful and should've been able to outdo the Xbox 360.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think you're playing the revisionist history card here. Would we really be claiming RoL never looked good from the start if the game turned out to be alright, let alone good?

Well I don't remember everyone saying how great the graphics were when the game was first revealed. People were actually more focused on how god-awful the character models initially looked rather than saying the game's environments looked beautiful.

The initial shots aren't incredibly impressive graphically speaking. I'd say they aren't as good as Lost World and definitely not as good as Generations. The graphics honestly look better in the initial shots because they are so much more detailed than Rise of Lyric rather than because they have far superior textures.

There were some people, myself included, who thought the game could have been interesting, as it had multiple playable characters and was supposedly developed by ex-naughty dog staff (I'm not sure how much that was exaggerated), but that was before we saw any real gameplay that wasn't heavily edited like the reveal trailer. As soon as E3 came around nearly everyone knew the game looked bleak. But this was from a gameplay perspective, no one was speaking out about how the game looked visually amazing. They just didn't think it was going to be as graphically horrendous as it ended up being.

Oscar Ponce has also updated with 'Unannounced project' since I last looked a few months back. He says he's still there but worked on it in 2014. 

http://oscarponce.weebly.com/uploads/5/6/3/0/5630194/oscarresume.pdf

Well, good luck with that, BRB. Hopefully you'll learn from this experience and grow to be more competent than the developers of the Bachelor DS game.

• Thumbs Up 1

How many of you guys would lose your marbles if they announced a Sonic Boom sequel?

• Thumbs Up 1

How many of you guys would lose your marbles if they announced a Sonic Boom sequel?

Assuming that they would actually improve things from the original games, I'd imagine that no one would be "losing their marbles" over a would-be sequel. Have some faith in folks not bugging out...

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I'd be most interested to know who was developing such a thing. BRB probably won't be right back after the disaster that was RoL. SEGA would need to find new developers. Maybe Sanzaru? I dunno. I sincerely doubt that SEGA would put much money forwards for the project and we'd end up with something that's basically just RoL again, or else something just a naff. I'd find it funnier than anything else.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't speak for everyone but I personally don't know if I will or not. I guess it depends on the changes and how much it expands the universe. I highly doubt Sega would go ahead and plan a sequel, then again anything is possible when it comes to Sega.  

I personally think SEGA wasn't happy with the "dark and edgy" direction Sonic Boom was originally going to go and forced BRB to align it with the show. That's why there was a major plot change and characters like Sticks placed for no reason.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next Sonic Boom game took a step back away from combat and exploration for something... casual. This was more seen with the 3DS version with its plot.

I wouldn't lose my marbles exactly, but I would be really surprised if they announce a sequel for two reasons; RoL sold horribly and BRB have lost a lot of developers who worked on RoL. Maybe Sanzaru will make it instead, but honestly I doubt there will ever be a sequel. And if it does, it'll probably end up being bad again anyway.

I'd love to see them do all the things RoL's story didn't. Other than that, I really don't want to get into arguments about how it would play or be constructed, but

I'd like to see things like upgradeable movesets. Like, have Sonic's homing attack work normally as base, but maybe have the compound/charged homing attack from Lost World as an upgrade, and add a shockwave effect so it could take out multiple enemies at once. And since chaining enemies over pits is a stupid way of getting around anyway, just not doing that should make said effect not an issue. That's just an example, though. I don't actually know whether it's a good idea or how it'd be done. I definitely would hope that it's not downgraded from the start so getting it back to

normal is an upgrade (ala secret rings).

Other than that, I wish that the TV show had some sort of a continuity so there would be things for the game to use as plot devices without having to be a prequel (a real prequel) or make something up.

DAY 1: Dawn of a New Boom Day.

Everybody would laugh.

Some would be angry.

3 people would be happy.

DAY 2:

Then the same thing as every Sonic games, some people like me would be critical and analytical in whatever was shown, we'll either be impressed or negative depending on what's shown.

Then you'd have the people who are like "It's too early to tell" or constantly praising the game just because it's a new game instead of being critical with what they see. 

Then you have the people who are like 'it's shit, it's shit.' without giving any reasons, these are the people who for whatever reason get their kicks from just being the guy who hates it, as if, hating it with nothing but venom is somehow impressive because they think that makes them cool. When in reality mindlessly hating something even if it is bad just makes you look like a knob.

This will more or less continue right up until release day.

• Thumbs Up 7

You think it would stop only on release day?

Depends on what the game ended up being.

With Boom, it was more or less like that right up until release.

Then when the game was leaked and we got that youtube lets play and people got their copies, more or less everybody became those who didn't like it because of being critical and analytical of what they'd seen during the announcement through to release.

Yeah there were still a handful who thought it was good or were defending the game just because, but those are very few now.

Errr.... Iiii'd honestly want it. I still wanna see what they can do with the Boom setting and whatnot. Some things would change though....

Like saying anything at all about the game or trying to defend it again :v

But really I think they had something going with the whole new direction. Once the concepts were finalized it looks as if they knew what they wanted to do.... erm kinda. Anyways yeah, I wouldn't lose my marbles but I wouldn't be ecstatic either.

• Thumbs Up 5

The tv show is praised by quite a few fans (I personally think it's pretty good, not amazing) and it's still getting high viewing numbers ever Saturday morning despite the ridiculously early hours it's shown. I have no idea how the comics are doing.

Honestly, I'd be shocked that SEGA would be willing to have another go at something that failed and not try to reinvent the series' image again.

Other than that though, I'd wait and see how it turns out. Maybe whoever is making Boom 2 got the idea that Sonic is supposed to be a high speed spectacle platformer and not some kind of Jak and Daxter clone.