Awoo.

Defining moments of your favorite characters.

Klinsy

A lot of the characters that have been talked about here are remembered for their more serious moments. Their heroism and villainy, their compassion, their determination, their tragedies, and so forth.

But the character I'm going to talk about is one of my favorites for being the most spectacular, hilarious asshole.

f4ENxdp.png

Jitsu wa Watashi wa is a high school love comedy (no, wait, come back. it's good. I promise.) where everyone has a secret, usually of the supernatural sort. And most of the characters want those secrets to remain secret, and go to great lengths to try to conceal them. Akane, on the other hand, gives no fucks. She is id personified, concerned with only two things: sweets, and fucking with people. And she's got no hesitation in using her demonic powers for either one.

Like when she turned the annual sports day into a competition for one wish, paid for from the school's budget (she can do that. she's also secretly the principal), so she could cheat her way to victory and spend it all on snacks.

...and when it turned out she was losing, she knocked out half the competition and replaced them with her disguised clones.

Or when she tried to use her clones to take all 40 cakes 50 burgers.

Or the time she held the Earth hostage with a meteor in exchange for chocolates.

But the best parts are when she's just fucking with confused, hormonal teenagers and their romance problems. In a way, though, that's her way of helping. She forces them to actually confront their feelings and helps urge them forward. She's actually kind of a proper mentor, sometimes.

lol psyche

rLPlvp6.png

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

So, I got theme going with today's post: dark counterparts, however the two are a bit different then the regular dark counterparts.

Anti-Bravoman:

Ahh, another character I can't really point out specific material from, well for the most part.

Anti-Bravoman is different because not only is he not really evil, he's a bit of a fanboy of the person who he's a counterpart of.

One of his defining moments from the comic is that he is shown to own Bravoman toys and act out scenarios as Barvoman and Alpha, it's pretty adorable actually.

I would pull more examples from the comics but that's not something I can just click a link and check on anymore, so I'm going to something that I can just click on a link and check on: the Bravoman cartoon.

Here, he's a dork trying so hard to be taken seriously but he can't think of a good monologue and eventually has to drop his dark and edgy voice because he got spit in his scarf and when he finally gets to meet Bravoman, he doesn't even get to fight him, he just stands there while he goes off, like I said total dork.

And to give an example of him not really being all that evil, Anti-Bravoman is also in Namco High, he's pretty much his comic and cartoon self there, complete with trying way too hard to give a “darkness and stuff” speech, but the one thing that's different here is that he used to come from Evil Namco High and they try to convince him to go back to his evil ways, he refuses and ultimately foils their plans with your help.

Dark Pit:

Ahh, Kid Icarus Uprsing, so many good characters and Dark Pit is a refreshing take on the dark counterpart, he's not really evil Pit as much as he's somewhat more violent Pit who doesn't hold anything back.

The first good sign is that he's not that bad of a guy is in chapter 9 of the game where he comes out of nowhere and takes out the Underworld Gatekeeper in one kick and really helps you out with something that seemed impossible to get by.

Now, a couple of his defining moments come really late in the game so here's a spoiler tag:

In one late chapter in the game you play as him and to show he holds nothing back, he calls the gods out for all the crap they done, saying they're no better than humans, this includes Paluetena and she somewhat agrees.

What is he doing in this chapter? Trying to get Pit his wings back after he saved him by going beyond his limit and having them burn up, he and Pit more or less became friends by the end of the game.

Also, he as much as a dork as regular Pit is, this proves it.

I really love these two, they're not as much as dark counterparts as much as they are dork counterparts.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if I'm really in the right demographic for this, but I have a fondness for this guy:

vlcsnap-1103899.png

Syaoran Li of Cardcaptor Sakura is the perfect mix of badass and an adorable butt monkey. He usually gets at least one small but palpable moment to define him each episode, I have to agree with the common choices of most of his interactions with Sakura (yes the elevator scene is a top one). There was something about a lot of his chemistry with Meiling as well. Syaoran was still a grumpy jerk at that point in the anime and yet he was helpless to her, always doting over her and trying to calm her whining, all the while hating himself for it. A true jerk with a heart of gold).

meiglomp6.jpg

There's something deceptively charming about the character and his treatment. We all love the cynic in the candy coated kids show, especially since he's usually the butt monkey and never cut any slack for objecting to the idealistic cast around him. Syaoran is not exempt to this. He's basically an intruder in Sakura's sweet little quest that's trying to claim her role. He keeps paying for it and ultimately gets shot down for it as expected. At the same time though Sakura thinks the world of him. She's always happy to see him and invites him in on the team's fun. She constantly takes his opinion and intellect seriously and whenever he helps her she instantly makes sure he knows he's appreciated. Some of the stuff in the show should make me want to vomit, but it's this adorable subversion of the usual treatment of the 'complainer is always wrong' types that I think makes the two such an adorable couple.

tumblr_n3sboi9VXG1ty40hto2_500.gif

And only more amusing because Syaoran is STILL Sakura's butt monkey. There's something endearing about making you feel sorry for a character over someone treating him in nothing but a kind and loyal (if oblivious) tone.

In fact there's only one other character I can think of right now that matches this treatment and it's this guy:

Day-for-eeyore-disneyscreencaps.com-2282

One of the most heartwarming shots in the entire series.

I found this adorable analysis of Eeyore on TV Tropes, rightfully on the Heartwarming Moments page:

"One awesome thing about Eeyore is that even though he is basically clinically depressed, he still gets invited to participate in adventures and shenanigans with all his friends. What is amazing is that they never expect him to pretend to feel happy, they never leave him behind, or ask him to change. They just show him love."

And if you doubt the soul put inside of the adorably miserable sod, watch Donkey For A Day:

1311670377_02b-donkey-for-a-day01446711-

FUN FACT: Eeyore is stated to be the one character Peter Cullen likes voicing as much as Optimus Prime.

Edited by E-122-Psi
  • Thumbs Up 2

I did a post on Princess Unikitty before the months being wiped, but I wasn't really satisfied with it.

So, here is the new and improved defining moments of Unikitty!

2014's The Lego Movie is the rare case where I love all of it's cast deeply yet had a clear favorite character, that would be Princess Unikitty.

She's sweet, cute and awesome but clearly has a lesson to learn.

Let's start with her introduction, which tells us a lot we know to know about her.

From the start, she is very friendly to all the cast, including Emmet, who the movie makes clear that she has never met him before and welcomes them all to her home of Cloud Cuckoo Land, a place she loves dearly.

However, the ending to this scene makes one thing perfectly clear, Unikitty isn't all sunshine and rainbows but she doesn't want to admit it, trying to avoid being negative at all costs even though that's really really not healthy.

Like most Masterbuilders, she has a theme, which is cute and uplifting things, very fitting for a cute and uplifting character.

Now, let's get to the later parts of the movies and how they define her:

Later, Cloud Cuckoo Land is destroyed and Unikitty sees it's ruins in the sea, she's fighting back tears and trying to cheer herself up by reminding herself of happy things, but you can tell it's barely working if at all, she really loved her home and seeing her reaction to what remains of it is one of the saddest parts of the movie.

Now, if that's not what Unikitty can not be positive about no matter what, what is?

We find out that late in the movie, when she sees Emmet getting attacked by robots.

Stay positive! Stay positive! OH FORGET IT!

The one thing Unikitty can see no upside to is  her friends getting hurt, so she turns into Angrykitty and saves Emmet and buys him some time so he can save the day, Unikitty is essential to getting the movie's plot resolved and the way she does it just shows what's great about her.

YOU ALL NEED TO BE MORE FRIENDLY!

So, all in all, Unikitty is one most awesome elements to come out of a movie where everything is awesome, I hope she comes back for the sequel.

Oh, I almost forgot something.

tumblr_inline_nm4wioZok61s62dc4.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

I love Aquaman, he is one of my favorite superheroes and he's has a lot of cool versions of himself,  this post is technically about different characters but all show that Aquaman is awesome.

Justice League Aquaman: Cutting off his own hand to save his son.

Justice League generally did their characters awesomely and Aquaman is no exception.

Aquaman's brother Orm has chained Aquaman to a rock above a underwater volcano and has place his son there along with him and then blast the rock they're on so he will be the next in the line for Atlantis's throne, Aquaman with his awesome strength breaks one of the chains but can't break the other in time to save his son, so he outright chops it off and saves the boy, he could have tried waiting a bit longer for the other chain to break but that would led to his son's doom so this shows how much he cares about him.

What did Aquaman do to make up for the arm? Get a hook, of course.

Justice League Aquaman: Trying to drown Aquaman is a very dumb idea.

Many people mock Aquaman's powers, but he gains a lot of advantages from them, he or his powers are not useless in the sightless.

One advantage is he gets is that he can't drown, this comes in handy when fighting Downpour, who using his water based powers would come in handy against most people, but Aquaman is obviously not one of those people, he's the king of the seas, remember?

Crisis on Two Earths Aquaman: Aquaman vs. Captain Super

In Justice League:  Crisis On Two Earths, Aquaman and other heroes are summoned to help fight evil versions of the Marvel family, the good versions are nothing to laugh at and the evil versions prove to be just the same.

Aquaman finds himself facing a man called Captain Super and even Batman warns that's he's stronger than he is, what is Aquaman response:

That remains to be seen!

And what is seen that Aquaman is stronger than Captain Super, see for yourself.

Brave and the Bold Aquaman: The Rousing Song Of Heroism
The Brave and The Bold version of Aquaman is OUTRAGEOUS but definitely knows how to be a hero, as shown in his rousing song of heroism.

In fact, to show his heroism is legit, he's singing the song to cheer up Captain Atom, it doesn't work, but it's the thought that counts.

There is a lot of awesome versions of Aquaman to cover but I think I shown just how awesome every version of him is.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Resetti.png

Mr Resetti is basically a very angry mole that comes to you to say "Don't do that." This guy actually used to be one of my least favorite characters  for his long rants at me and some things I couldn't prevent.

But in Animal Crossing: New Leaf, I came to grow fond of him and I now understand that he was doing something good for me.

If you forget to save the first time, you find out Resetti is out of the job and you have the option to bring it back, in the past I wouldn't even bother with it, but the game defines him, showing that he thinks the job is important and is even understanding when why you messed up, you really feel bad for the guy.

His next defining moment is after you get the funds to rebuild the reset center, he comes to you to thank you, not to get angry at you, not to be bitter and sarcastic, just a simple thanks, he really appreciates it , and you feel like a hero for helping the guy out.

So, be kind and don't reset.

• 4 weeks later...

*Presents profile to the topic*

FUIb8EZ.png

character_img.png

The Ace Attorney series has some of my favorite characters ever and it's general main character, Phoenix Wright, is a true hero of justice up there with any super hero, heck, he even fought with them!

Allow me to give my testimony on why Mr. Wright is a righteous  dude:

Defending Maya Fey:

In the second case of the first game, Wright finds his mentor, Mia Fey murdered and a mysterious girl besides her dead body.

That girl would be said mentor's sister, Maya Fey and she naturally comes to her main suspect.

What is Wright's reaction to the might be murderer of his beloved mentor?

Defend her in court and prove her innocent, starting a long friendship and taking down a blackmailing overlord in power for years, all because he believes in his clients and doesn't stop till he gets to absolute truth.

Becoming a lawyer in the first place:

Why did Mr. Wright become a lawyer in the first place?

Years ago, he found himself on trial, being accused of something he didn't do with no evidence of him doing it.

Two boys came to his defense and came to be his friends. 

Years later, he found out one of his friends has become a very different person and couldn't get in contact with him, he knew due  to this friend's job, the only way to meet him now was to face him in court.

And when the time when this friend needed to be defended, he was there for him.

Taking down a corrupt police chief with a gambit:

After the trial of said friend, Mr. Wright found himself defending Ms. Lana Skye and later, her sister, Ema Skye, in a way.

A corrupt police chief was responsible for many pain and suffering planned to have either sister guilty of his crime with evidence he was hoping someone would eventually find, little did he know this evidence would be his downfall, with some clever planning by Mr. Wright, who will always find the truth!

Did I mention this old friend, Miles Edgeworth, helped him out?

Solving a case without any memory:

To make a long story short, Mr. Wright got hit over the head with a fire extinguisher and lost his memory before a trial.

He went through this trial without remembering the basic parts of being an attorney and sometimes, making a fool of himself(Pointing of a witness love of bananas and lack of knowledge of baseball comes to mind.)

But despite this, he still won and put the true bad guy behind bars, who just so happened to be the guy who hit in the head.

A moral dilemma:

One trial finds Phoenix in a rough place, his friend Maya Fey will be killed if he doesn't get a man a not guilty verdict, but said man is absolutely guilty and someone innocent will be put in his place. (It doesn't help a death penalty was hinted at earlier)

This case defines Phoenix in the clear struggle he faces, what side should choose, saving a friend or serving justice?

Phoenix cares a lot about both.

Fortunately, Nick turns things around like he always does.

Going on a bridge ON FIRE to save a friend:

A bridge is set on fire above a river that goes so fast that near no one was supported to survive it.

Phoenix goes on this bridge anyhow, because his friend is in danger and is on the other side of it.

He doesn't make it over this bridge but the fact he tried and is constantly worried about this friend throughout this case shows how much he cares.

This quote:

It's only natural for living creatures to fight to protect their own lives. But what makes us human is that we fight for others. But who do you fight for? How hard must you fight...? That's the true measure of what human life is worth. We defense attorneys are warriors who are constantly challenged by that question. Even when the battle is over, and the bonds that connect us are severed... We always return... Time and time again.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Not sure if many here know this, but I love the 2003 iteration of TMNT (or 2k3 for short). Yeah, I know it's not what comes to most people's minds when they hear "TMNT," but that's okay, for it's not everyone's cup of tea on what they consider the ideal version of the franchise.

What I loved most about this series were the Turtle themselves, most notably, Leonardo. No one got more prominent development than he did. Personality-wise, he's similar to the first movie and Mirage regarding being the serious and disciplined leader, but he never comes off as dull as result due to his persona bouncing off each of his brothers and just having a good nature overall. And Michael Sinterniklaas did an excellent job displaying both Leo's noble leadership and honorable heart.

So regarding his development I spoke of, well it mostly started at the end of Season 3. In the 2-parter, Exodus, the Turtles and their sensei/father, Splinter fought against the Shredder in his space rocket when he planned to escape Earth to wreak havoc across the galaxy (since he's an evil alien in this continuity). Unfortunately, they all get severely beaten by him and were left with no other choice but to have the rocket explode with all of them still in it so Shredder could not achieve his goal. They were of course saved by the end and Shredder was sentenced for his crimes, so happy ending all-around, right? Well, not for Leo. For most of Season 4, Leo had a change in mood. He became more rigorous in his training (moreso than usual) and generally became more aggressive in combat and tone. Simply because he felt he failed to protect his family during that crucial (then) final battle with Shredder. By striving to be better and tougher he felt he could never fail again.

This comes to a halt in the episode, The Ancient One, where he accidently injured Splinter during a sparring lesson when he angrily said he was learning nothing new. Splinter later tells him that he is right and sends him off to Japan to train with a person called the Ancient One. After some trials and long-walking, he comes across the Ancient One's home and is told by a fat traveler that accompanied him during the journey that before he could see the Ancient One, he must fight his 'greatest adversary.' A stone golem that tells him that he smells his fear and his failure as well as knowing him better than himself. During their battle, Leo gets flashbacks of each of his family saying they're hurt or pleading him to help them. Note they never said this during Exodus, but further displays how powerless Leo felt when they were hurt. But things turn around as Leo starts to admit:

tumblr_nau2ro2SLy1qbknvio5_r1_250.giftumblr_nau2ro2SLy1qbknvio6_r1_250.gif

tumblr_nau2ro2SLy1qbknvio7_r1_500.gif

He then slashes the golem's face and it breaks away to reveal none other than his own face.

He of course, is shocked, only for the (obvious) Ancient One to say:

"If there was nothing else you could do, why do you punish yourself so?"

And we get this:

leogrin.gif

When I first saw that smile, I knew he'd get better from here on out. And he did. Just a satisfying end to a character's journey of achieving inner peace after being in such turmoil for most of the Season, and giving the audience a good lesson learning you should never be too hard on yourself in wake of failure. That's what ultimately drew Leo to me as character in this series.

• Thumbs Up 4

Okay. 

if you've seen some of my other posts, you probably know one my favourite characters of all time is OVA Sonic. So I'm going to talk about, not really a "moment", but kinda a slew of moments. Basically everything you see of him from when he first appears to the time that he's on the Tornado. Because these few minutes are defining moments to who this dude is. 

First of all, when you first see him, he's just laying in a beach chair minding his own business. Then Tails offers Sonic a ride on his bodyboard and he declines and shoots off a line about how Tails is childish. This already tells you that he already has a no-nonsense aura about him and he gets bothered kind of easily. He's already a different character than SEGA Sonic. 

hqdefault.jpg

Then, Sonic just ignores Tails' calls for help and then flat out yells "SHUT UP TAILS!". This tells me that this Sonic thinks that Tails is trying to get his attention. This Sonic must be used to Tails doing all sorts of stuff around him. This also tells me that Sonic here has a very short temper and isn't quite as friendly, they way how he shouts at Tails. Sonic and Tails probably have a more rocky relationship here than in the games. 

tumblr_my01ueff1D1s201hzo1_400.gif

Then when The Old man is crying for help and his rocket is in flames, Sonic refuses to do anything, and he and Tails get into an argument about who should save him. I really like how Sonic reacts towards people. He seems to be a lot less gullible and knows that people mess up a lot. He was probably expecting either the Old Man to fix the rocket himself or for Tails to just rush off and save him without fuss. This says to me that this kind of stuff must happen a lot. And Sonic isn't nearly as helpful as his is in most other media. He has more important things to be worrying about than doing meaningless tasks for people. He's no cop. 

tumblr_inline_miru91nGnr1rqxvm0.png

But his attitude switches as soon as he sees both Tails and the Old Man in trouble and heading for the wall. Now, Sonic knows this is serious and he can't mess around. I think OVA Sonic is one of those kinds of people who will just sit back and watch the situation for a minute and expect things to solve themselves, but when shit hits the fan. he will come to the rescue without a word. This mystifies me in a way. 

sonic_ova_snapshot2.png

And then, when the Old Man is saved and they have the conversation about the president, Sonic is a lot more active than in the beginning. Now he's joking around and playing with Tails. Sonic must have thought after the wall predicament that he may as well get up and see what's happening. He truly has emotional range in this OVA. 

013.jpg

In 7 minutes, we get to see how Sonic reacts to people, who he reacts to situations, his rapid, changing emotions, his temper and more. Just these 7 minutes display everything about why he's one of my favourite characters of all time. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Ooh, did I win?

main.png

Today, I will be covering the great princess Toadstool and her great moments throughout continuities, much like Aquaman.

There's no time to waste, let's get started:

Main continuity : Rushing to aid of Sprixies

Peach, Mario, Luigi and Toad were having a relaxing night when suddenly a clear pipe shows up and a Sprixie Princess emerges from it, but soon after that, Bowser shows up and kidnaps the Sprixie, and all four rush after him.

But the defining moment comes when Peach rushes after Bowser first, she knows how much a bother of a Bowser can be and doesn't want anyone to share the fate she constantly suffers, it also shows that Peach is super brave because Bowser is super powerful and  she's well aware of that and yet she gives him a chase anyways.

Super Mario Adventures continuity: Bombs Away!

tumblr_n036qa6JnU1sskqzho1_400.png 

Peach is a badass in any continuity she's in but it shows no better than in Super Mario Adventures.

Mario has got kidnapped by the Koopalings and Peach, Luigi, and scamming salesmen makes a daring plan to save the day.

Peach and Luigi switch clothes to make they think they still got Peach kidnapped and Peach fakes a pizza delivery to show up on their door step with bombs!

She fully intends to use them to save Mario and only doesn't because things got in her way, don't mess with this Princess!

Super Smash Bros continuity: Tea Anyone?

Peach witnesses a fight about to break out between her friend Shiek and ace pilot Fox when he unknowingly shoots at her in his Arwing, before a single blow could be struck, Peach stops the fight with the offer of tea, showing she doesn't hold any ill will towards Fox.

Later, she gives her parasol to Mr. Game And Watch, who came out of a fearsome enemy and befriends him, showing Peach is a trusting and forgiving person.

So, that's Peach, a rightful ruler of the Mushroom Kingdom that fits the job to a t.

• Thumbs Up 1

Keeping on topic with Mario characters, I admit I like some of Bowser's greyer qualities.

One defining positive aspect about the guy throughout medias is that he no matter how self appointedly evil he is, he genuinely cares about his kids. His obsession with Peach even levels into him wanting a mommy for Junior.

It even adds to his scary factor at times. Defeat Junior first in New Mario Bros and Bowser goes APESHIT on you. Watch 4:30 onwards.

This shows up no fainter in the TV series. While he was a fairly one note (if still charismatic) villain in Super Show, the Koopalings added a whole new dimension to him in the later cartoons. Particularly Kootie Pie, who he's helpless against and spoils rotten ("Anything my Kootie Pie wants, my Kootie Pie gets!").

poor_bowser_by_bowser_jr99.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

So, with a announcement of a Han Solo movie by the talented people behind the Lego Movie and the Jump Street series, I decided to do a post on Mr. Solo himself.

Now, Mr. Solo is probably one of the best examples of character development there is, the Han you see at the start of the trilogy isn't the Han you see at the end of it.

And no, I don't care if he shot first or not.

Now, let's get the show on the road:

Lending a Star Ship ... at a cost:

Han isn't a total pure heart, he's motivated by himself and his own needs at the start of Star Wars.

This is shown best on how he's introduced, he's in a huge debt to Jabba The Hutt and Jabba wants that debt paid at any cost.

This comes as a problem to Mr. Solo, but when a young lad and a old Jedi set up a meeting, seeking a ship to fly to another planet, Han agrees ... as long as he gets paid.

Sure, he has his own life on the line, but this shows Solo isn't totally selfless, considering he could take them there for free, but he still does it and boy, where would the galaxy be without him.

"Let's blow this thing and head home!"

Later, Han gets out of his debt and really has no reason to stick around for his personal gain, but he later assists Luke anyways, making it much easier to blow up the Death Star and win the fight, after some convincing from a friend.

This shows how much Han grows in the first movie alone, at first utterly selfish, but then becoming a friend you can rely on, even when there's nothing in it for him other than a galaxy not ruled by evil.

"I know"

In Empire Strikes Back, Han still hasn't totally learned everything he needs to, but boy does he learn his lesson,  his relationship with people is really explored in this movie.

Basically, after a few incidents, Solo hoped his old friend, Lando would be of any help in Cloud City, but he only found out that people he wanted to see the least were there, but he shoots and he shoots fast, but it doesn't do much and he ends up getting captured and angry by said friend betrayal of him.

He finds himself getting frozen and in front of Princess Leia, who confessed her love to him after disagreements and remarks at each other, Han becoming a better person throughout the movie replies, with "I know."

Doing nothing but playing Space checkers.

Seriously, folks.

Another Animal Crossing character because I love pretty much everyone there:

tumblr_static_sable_able.png

Sable Able is such a tragic character, but she's strong, super strong, heck, she's stronger than me, you can really see how well written Animal Crossing can be through her.

Warming up to you

If you play Animal Crossing a long without ever talking to her, you can get the impression that Sable is cold, but she's actually the opposite, she's one of the warmest characters in the series.

Talk to her the first few times and she doesn't have much to say but keep talking to her and you'll find out more about her and her sister, she eventually becomes always happy to see you stop by a chat and becomes a close friend of yours, she's a bundle of warmth but that's not where it ends.

Taking care of Mabel:

You see, the Able Sister's parents died when they were quite young and with the other sister Label moved out due to a argument, Sable had to take care of her own sister on her own, but in the present, you can see Mabel is a cheerful person who loves her sister and looks up to her, she clearly did a good job, even though what had to be done to get that job would put the deepest of stress on anybody, but Sable is strong enough to see it through.

I'll be saving her friendship with a certain Tom Nook for later, but right now, as you can, Sable is one cool hedgehog.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah, Gamma for a character who only appeared in two games and a remake, (not counting Chaos Gamma) he sure did leave quite impression on me, he's honestly one of my favorite Sonic characters/

Let's go into why:

Freeing Amy:

If you play through Amy's story first, you're first sign Gamma isn't such a bad bot is that he frees her after she talks to him, she even notes that's he's not such a bad guy after this.

Keep in mind, this was before he turned against Eggman and after he saw his brothers get zapped off the Egg Carrier for failing, so he had a lot to risk doing this but he did it anyways.

Noting landing the final blow on Sonic:

In Sonic's(Or Tails doing it instead in his story) story, Sonic is about to make Gamma like all the other robots he smashed, but in Gamma's own story it's the other way around.

Amy jumps in front of Sonic and begs him not to finish him off, showing how much a friendship with someone he only met a few hours ago meant to him, he agrees and our hero lives on for another day.

Gamma is once again risking his job with Eggman by doing this, but he cares more about Amy than he does Eggman.

Freeing his brothers:

Sometime later, Gamma completely loses his loyalty to Eggman and comes to acknowledge his brothers are nothing more but trapped and confused animals, he finds them, blows them up, and sets the little critters free.

If Gamma didn't learn his lesson, he would just leave them be, but Gamma knows what has to be done.

Freeing himself:

And that includes him being freed too.

He notices he himself is amongst his targets and accepts this, after a fight with his brother Beta, he takes a blow and explodes, he doesn't seem sadden by this, he accepts it, he is free.

And that's the story of the little bird that could.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm going into two characters I went into the past but didn't bring up all that makes them great, here we go:

Doctor Doom - Saving Valeria

So, Doctor Doom is a villain for sure, there is many things solidifying this, but he's not pure evil.

One time, Susan Storm was about to have a baby, but it was super difficult for her and Reed Richards was too caught up with crises happening around the world, so The Human Torch called DOOM for help and he agreed and the baby was born thanks to him and DOOM himself named her. (Though who he named her after brings another defining moment for DOOM ... a much less pleasant one.)    

This really defines DOOM because it shows he's not going for the option of always giving his enemies the disadvantage and he can be noble and helpful, considering DOOM could just turn the offer down.

Meowkie - Feeling her job is important

If you go with Meowkie to do her hall monitoring   job, you see she takes her job seriously.

She specifically points out that having no sports in the hall is an important rule because someone could get hurt.

With that statement alone, it is made clear that one reason she wants to keep her job because she thinks it's important to keep students safe.

Meowkie wears her badge with pride and should do so.

• 3 weeks later...

So around 2003, a game called Crash Nitro Kart showed up, and to this day, it's a bit of a mixed bag in terms of reception. Some like it, some don't. I personally liked it a lot, and I've actually respected various aspects about the game more and more as the years have went by. Sure, I still prefer the original Crash Team Racing, but I enjoy Nitro Kart as well regardless.

I'm glad someone else liked Nitro Kart, especially the cutscenes. They were arguably the nearest to trying to expand on what Naughty Dog created without tweaking everything into their own image (perhaps helped that some of the original creative team worked on the game).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ALuHFFebZIM

I loved Cortex's cutscenes even more, particularly the interaction between Tiny and Cortex. Compared to the ferocious hulk Tiny was in previous boss fights, here we see him interacting with the other bad guys, and he's noticeably different. He's like a docile child in aspects, he even has puppy dog eyes in many scenes. They made Tiny of all people adorable. I love the relationship here too, he's blatantly loyal to his master (see how quickly he steps between him and Nash when the latter turns sore loser for example), but is clumsy as sin and has little intellectual contribution outside 'Smash bandicoots!' (best character establishing line in the game: "What did you break NOW???"). You'd expect Cortex to be incredibly impatient and abusive to his stupidity, but, despite his annoyance with him, he seems to patronisingly keep him around ("I can squash bandicoots!" "*groans*....Yes, yes, I know you can..."), only snapping when he makes a complete ass of things in the final cutscene. If Nina is the apple in Cortex's eye, Tiny's like the retarded eldest child he keeps around out of pity.

I love how damn composed and calculating Cortex is in these cutscenes, while the other players are usually creeped out by their opponents and their position, Cortex just spends the whole game looking bored and unimpressed. What a bunch of amateurs. This culminates in his own face off with Velo. Despite the robot blasting in his face, he quickly laughs it off, pointing out how easily he has usurped the guy ("A robot...how quaint"). We get another moment of devotion from Tiny as well in his amusingly wimpy tussle with Velo, who in this case is far less willing to hand over his throne.

Edited by E-122-Psi

Time to change fate!

Lucina_official_art.jpg

Lucina is by far one of the most memorable characters in Fire Emblem Awaking, she even made it into Super Smash Brothers!

Let's learn about the Defiant Of Destiny, Awaking has been out for awhile but a lot about it is still a spoiler so I'm going to put these in the spoiler tags

Lucina travels through time to change the awful future she hails from.

In this trip to the past, Lucina does a lot to show who she is:

Preventing her father's death

When you first meet Lucina, she is posing as Marth and she later  battles her father in the arena .

But Lucina is no foe, she proves this by preventing Chrom from getting assassinated, this is one of the signs of the bad future to come and she never really got to know her father, but, she loves him  dearly and becomes one of his best allies after this

Her reaction to Emmeryn's death:

Lucina isn't perfect and she can't prevent everything, but when she fails to prevent Emmeryn's death, it clearly hits her hard and she didn't even get to know her much in the future, she has as much sorrow as her father and aunt and showing even that she comes from a world where great losses happen every day, she still feels bad about it.

Attempting to kill Robin:

Robin, for those who don't know, is both the hero and the villain of Awaking in a way, in the future he or she will become a dark dragon causing despair for everyone who lives in it.

Lucina knows this, but she waits to get to know Robin and when the time comes, she's very hesitant to kill her new friend, she ultimately doesn't do it and that brings us to our last defining moment.

Cheering Robin on in the final battle:

In the final battle of Awaking, it's Robin vs. Robin, the bad Robin tries to convince the good Robin to give up, but not of their allies will give up on them, that includes Lucina, who tried to kill them earlier, she saw how much fate can change and even Robin wasn't defined by his fate, that shows how much she grows through Awaking.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, The New Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh, such a fine show, I have no idea why Disney hasn't released it on DVD yet.

You know who it made me really appreciate? Rabbit.

In easily the series best episode, Find Her Keep Her, he gets many defining moments.

Caring more about a baby bird's life than his carrots.

Rabbit has been know to be a bit of a grump but he's not a jerk, this is shown well in the first few minutes where he's trying to keep his carrots warm in the winter but when a baby bird named Kessie is blown by, he instantly forgets about it and focuses on saving her.

Worrying about the bird's life

Later in the episode, Rabbit witness Kessie falling off a cliff and he's clearly distraught about this, showing he really does care about life.

Lucky for him, she passes by Owl and learns a little bit about flight.

But...

Not wanting to see Kessie go.

Rabbit doesn't want Kessie to fly, why? Because she'll leave for south in the winter, when it's clear there's nothing he can do about it, he can't even bring up his spirit enough to tell her one last bedtime story.

But he comes to accept it and almost misses her go before giving her one  last gift, fortunately the episode has happy ending and Rabbit and Kessie will meet again.

I think Pooh himself said it best about Rabbit in this episode:

Some people care too much. I think it's called love

• 2 months later...

It really shows how much a character can be loved when you only met him last month.

Summoning Charming!

char_144265.jpg

Jibanyan can be more or less be called the Pikachu of Yo-Kai Watch, cute, powerful and full of personalty!

Let's see what he does in the first episode alone:

Jibanyan is more or less a ghost, he was killed when he was hit by a car and has been a Yo-Kai ever since.

Before he got hit, he lived with his owner Amy, sleeping, playing and being loved by her.

But then one day, he got killed and before his death he heard Amy call him a "lame cat."

Here comes his defining moment, he doesn't think she said that out of malice and he still loves her, and still fights to see her again every single day.

He also try to prove himself worthy of her by beating cars himself, using his paws of furry,  but no matter what he does, he can't beat them and he feels super bad about it.

He also put people in danger by enspriting them to help him hit the cars, he had no clue he was putting them in danger, and he regrets it once he realized what he's done.

That's how he became friends with Nate, who listened to his story and even offered to help Jibanyan to beat the cars.

Soon after this episode, he moves into Nate's house and causes trouble, he realizes he's not helping Nate and swears to never do it again.

What a good kitty.

I can't wait to see more of him in future episodes.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

I should note that when I first played Sonic, Tails was my clear favourite as a kid. As the 3D era evolved however, I started to lose interest in him though, he just seemed a rather boring flat character compared to the others, even comic relief such as Big. Then Boom made me love Tails all over again:

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/sonic/images/5/58/Sonic_Boom_Tails_2.png/revision/latest?cb=20140724235537

Boom not only reinstates all of Tails' endearing qualities from the classic era (eg. his childishness, his over enthusiasm, his 'bromance' with Sonic) but reinvents his newer ones in a way that makes them more vibrant. He's still an inventor, and he's still the most soft spoken and docile of the team, but it tends to play into more than just making him the ironic 'adult' of the group.

Translate This was a great spotlight moment for Tails. He's so eager to show his invention to everyone, and is crestfallen when it gets a crappy reception. It's not even a case of pride all that much, he treats UT like it's alive and his little pet. He's upset because people hate him, even assuring the thing he'll make things better tomorrow. It's a surprisingly pathos driven moment for the usually comedic show, especially since UT doesn't really display that much along the lines of sentience aside from reinterpreting quotes in a goofy voice:

[maxresdefault.jpg

The rest of the episode while kinda tongue in cheek is quite an awesome moment for Tails. He can tell his UT is malfunctioning because he's the only one of his team who knows they wouldn't think such horrid things about each other. He outright sacrifices himself for the sake of the device, and then performs an impressive gambit not only to get the team to realise he's in danger but to realise just how awesome UT is. It seemed kinda cruel that the episode ended with the thing smashed down a cliff anyway.

The show keeps to his loyalty with Sonic for the most part as well. He got off to a great run in Sidekick, when Sonic 'retires' Tails out of concern he's getting him in danger (also a cute moment for Sonic) he's downright vehement to get the role back. While more arrogant and grumpy in this incarnation, Sonic still usually keeps his temper around Tails no matter how much trouble he's causing him. When his fixation with his inventions blunders, he always tries to let him down the most gently and reasonably when the others are ready to tear into him for getting them in danger (see Circus of Plunder). There's even lots of adorable touches to how they interact as well, even in childish, comedic circumstances. In Cabin Fever, after the whole team has gotten sick of each other, it takes Tails all of a few seconds to make up with Sonic and join forces, still in a silly clubhouse way you'd expect from a pair of kids. They just can't stay mad at each other.

Oh and I second everything about E-102 Gamma. He was a great character. There's something very powerful about the concept of a robot gaining emotions (especially the concept of dying). From the moment I first saw him in Amy's prison scene I knew I'd love him. I'd seen Omega first, and he was okay, but Gamma was so much more endearing. He was gentle and tragic and confused. I love innocent, conflicted minions.

latest?cb=20120125194420

For some reason, that very brief interaction with Amy got to me the most. She knew from just a few remarks from the robot's status that he wasn't evil. When he finally reveals his good self she is empathetic. When Sonic battles him, she begs him to leave him alone (in the Sonic X adaptation she's outright crying not to kill him). While Gamma's ending in the game is incredibly touching, there's something that hits harder in the X version, I think it's that Amy witnesses it. She's happy Lily gets her family and everyone is free, but she seems aware part of the robot-san she befriended is dead and gone forever with the burning hunk of metal on the floor, and she can only thank him tearful and heartbroken for the sacrifice he made. In the Japanese version she even recognises Beta as his 'brother', she knew exactly what his intents were. Given how isolated and insignificant Gamma's existence seemed to everyone else in the story, it was touching and gratifying how much Amy understood and felt sorry for the poor guy.

latest?cb=20120226052254&path-prefix=es

"I'm relieved....Gamma, mission complete..."

Edited by E-122-Psi
  • Thumbs Up 4

latest?cb=20150117165943

Ah, R.O.B the robot, to mediocre NES accessory to a beloved character, let's see what he's done, shall we??

R.O.B spent most of his time in Brawl's story mode as the Ancient Minster, but, he was doing this for a reason.

R.O.B first defining moment is the fact he was being blackmailed, to save his people, the R.O.Bs and it shows how much he cares about them to plunge his world into darkness to save them.

But alas ,.. he fails, his overseers are the very cruel Ganondorf and Tabbu, who couldn't care less about the R.O.Bs and just decides to kill them all to make way for a better weapon, knowing the reason he was being blackmailed was no longer valid, he turns on his overseers and joins the heroes.

R.O.B is no Mechcon, that's for sure.

• Thumbs Up 2

I absolutely love Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Hell I even had a post about Joseph Joestar, my favorite protagonist ever on this thread that got wiped out during the SSMB Server wipe. But here's another character I absolutely love from this series.

tumblr_nmma1qVrB81upxll1o2_500_zpsjpc57z

Yeah I know its a bird but let me explain. Pet Shop from Part 3 of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is one of my favorite characters in the series. Why? Cause he's so damn good at being a bad guy for a bird. When he's first introduced he kills some dogs in front of Iggy and murders the man who was giving the Joestar group info on DIO's mansion with a giant icicle. He then fights Iggy when Iggy saves a boy from him and it ends with him dying at least not before giving Iggy hell and making him lose a paw.

So what makes him so good in my eyes at least? For starters its established animals with Stands do have higher intelligence like Iggy and Forever with his Stand Strength. However we do know what those two characters are thinking, Iggy with his internal dialogue and Forever pointing out words in a dictionary as an example. We never know what Pet Shop is /ever/ thinking and is driven to keep out intruders from entering DIO's mansion. This is what makes him terrifying because he just don't know what he's going to do next.

Another thing about Pet Shop is that with his appearance there's a massive change in tone to a much more serious one. Before him the Joestar group faced a lot of one-off enemies who just impede their progress but they do get stomped on eventually. Some are silly and others aren't but they are still defeated and never seen again nor do they kill off anyone important most of the time. Because of this Stardust Crusaders becomes a bit episodic to the point where it slows down the plot a bit. When Pet Shop appears you know the main characters are at the final stretch and the fact Pet Shop manages to kill a few people and gave Iggy such a brutal fight shows that DIO is a very serious threat and Pet Shop is just the dawn of a new-found horror and I love him for that too.

Overall being an awesome bird who's stupidly broken in the games who's the one of the bad guys is pretty awesome.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 months later...

In this post, I'm going to talk about George Reeves' Superman/Clark Kent, aka the guy in my avatar and signature. If you want to know about why I like that character in general, you might want to see this. (Warning: It's sort of long :P)

I'm going to talk about a rather...interesting moment involving this character. One which might not seem like your typical "defining moment"; in fact, some might say it contradicts who the character is. At first, I honestly thought it was completely bizarre and messed-up myself. But now, I think it serves to add a really interesting dimension to the character.

The moment in question comes from The Stolen Costume. In it, someone has broken into Clark Kent's apartment, presumably just to steal some goods...but accidentally stumbles upon his secret closet and absconds with his Superman costume (which he had to take off for reasons I don't feel like explaining and you probably don't feel like hearing). Long story short, he dies from a gunshot and some other thugs get the costume and figure out Superman's secret identity.

But in the meantime, Clark appears to be quite desperate and agitated without his costume. He calls a private detective friend of his to help, but can't even tell him what's been stolen from him for obvious reasons. We can really see and feel that for once, he's been put in quite a spot. He's frustrated and angry and feels like maybe there's nothing that can be done. This, and of itself - Superman having such anxiety, being rendered powerless in a way - is quite attention-grabbing.

But what I'm really going to talk about is the way his issue is resolved.

Long story short, Clark ends up meeting the criminals in their apartment. Due to a contrived plot point, they thought the private detective was Clark, so they shoot at the real Clark - only for the bullets to bounce off of him. They have his costume...but they also know his secret identity.

They offer to make a deal with Clark in exchange for not revealing his secret identity. He refuses calmly and flatly, then tells them to put some warm clothes on. He slips his Superman costume back on and kidnaps the criminals, taking them to a snowy mountain. He then tells them that he's going to leave them there until he can figure out a way to keep them from talking!! (Though, of course there's a cabin and he promises to get them food and whatnot.) He then flies off to get the supplies, warning them that they're in a treacherous place and that if they die, no one will miss them.

Well, guess what they do? They freak out, thinking Superman won't come back, and so they try to climb down.

They slip and both die.

The next thing we know, Clark is back in his apartment with the private eye. He knows what happened to the people he kidnapped. And he seems...rather happy. He's even smiling and casually joking with his friend. (Though, in the very last moment before the credits roll, his expression seems to change to a thoughtful one...)

...So, why is this a "defining moment" and not just a "disturbingly out-of-character" moment? Well...from some perspectives, maybe it isn't. But personally, I find it fascinating. Partially because, well...it's kind of scary, honestly. It's frightening to see what can happen if Superman truly becomes desperate.

I mean, just think about it. This version of Superman did have a bit of that "Golden Age edge" in the first two seasons (in which this episode is found), but overall he's a very upstanding guy. And yet, here he is, committing a crime that ended two people's lives because of his own fear.

Yes, it's not the character's best moment, but it's something he nevertheless does - which is the very reason why it's so fascinating to me. To see that Superman is a being with anxieties and emotions, who, just like all of us, lashes out if he feels his life is threatened. And perhaps that's what he felt revealing his secret identity would be: a threat to the very lives of Clark Kent and Superman.

In a sense, it does show some very important things about this character, especially this incarnation. We see just how much value he puts on his double life, and we see that, for all his goodness and all his powers, he's still human. And yet, he's both human and superhuman...which is both fascinating and, as we can see here, frightening.

• Thumbs Up 1

While my opinion of the Pokemon anime wavers, it set in stone my favourite Pokemon by far:

latest?cb=20150706201209

Meowth, along with the rest of the Team Rocket trio, are arguably the most complex characters in the anime, and being enormous villain underdogs, are very easy to root for. Meowth's backstory even  bases itself on the poor guy's lack of respect, being treated as an annoying stray his early life and trying to impress a snobbish female of his species. His solution; learn to act human, he mustered all his time and energy into learning to talk and walk on his hind legs. Naturally it did nothing for him and his delusions of grandeur just led him to end up in Team Rocket getting even more abuse. If he wasn't so loyal to his comrades and the goal however, the anime makes clear he could make a name for himself based on his talent. Very few Pokemon have this ability and almost no other cases EARNED it just through forcing themselves to learn.

Meowth is a complex villain. He's arrogant, cowardly and buffoonish, and loves to ham up his evil reputation with the rest of the team as much as possible (I swear they must have Michael Bay provide some of their mottos :P), but at the same time intellectual and even a bit philosophical. The Japanese edit even had a whole song devoted to this nature:

An interesting spark to his complexity, is that, while he has genuine moments of sympathy and empathy, he's also very manipulative and not above utilising this reputation to his advantage. He's duped the heroes many times because of this, and they never learn, arguably because he keeps having many times he does it for real. His obsession with capturing Pikachu plays on this. He's adamant on outdoing him, but at the same time, he respects him. He claims they could even be friends if they weren't on opposing sides (cases such as the Pikachu shorts and their multiple team ups all but confirm this). One interesting display is 'A Scare To Remember' where Meowth is a given a too good to be true opportunity when he has an amnesiac Pikachu alone and convinces him he's his ally. As underhanded as this is, he is shown having to keep his conscience focused on the goal, and even at that, it's obvious he likes the idea of Pikachu being his friend instead just another catch, especially since even without his memories, Pikachu's sweet nature keeps prevailing, such as when he finds his 'old friend' some food:

When he gets Jessie and James in on the deal, they aren't much different, and spend their first few minutes playing around Pikachu joyously. Of course when Ash intervenes it's back to business and they decide to get what is arguably their most poetic revenge on the trainer, 'Pikachu, Thundershock NOW!'. Expectedly they manage to backfire things onto themselves via their own poor strategy in the end and Pikachu is back to normal.

Despite all this, Meowth can be VERY rivalistic. One aspect I like about later seasons is that they show, despite Meowth's cowardice and poor battle skills he can actually be very formidable when passionate or incensed enough. The Fury Swipes of Love needs no explanation:

tumblr_mf79zeJ2qm1qcs67bo1_500.png

One of my favourite villainous episodes for Meowth is definitely A Frenzied Factory Fiasco. The trio finally make a great plan, they imprisoned all the heroes and snagged all their Pokemon...but Pikachu escapes. After managing to quickly bumble their way out of a beating and get the upper hand, Meowth is adamant on getting him back and gives chase. Pikachu throws several attacks at him to shake him off, but unlike so many, many face offs before, Meowth doesn't go down. In fact he just gets angrier and more incensed, forcing Pikachu to be evasive. Even when the rest of the team are ready to just take the rest, Meowth refuses. He's sick of being Pikachu's punching bag. Eventually, Pikachu foils their plot, but Meowth isn't going down, and DEMANDS a battle from him to settle the score. Naturally he comes in with some dirty tactics but when they fail he still makes a final lunge...

latest?cb=20151116215930

...AND SCORES A HIT. Five seasons in and he finally gets to injure the little rodent.

35an1oy.png

He savours in the moment as badass as possible....and then promptly faints like a punk.

a2vnns.png

Well, you didn't expect him to win did you?

• Thumbs Up 3