Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog (sponsored by PowerVerte)-Fin, PAGE 150

Dr. Crusher

My very first post on this forum was about a Dr. Robotnik game. I have since thought more about the idea, but the basic concept is the same: a game built on the same style as Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, where you use a large collection of parts and pieces to create different types of vehicles, Eggmobiles and mechs.

I find this to be the best way to do an Eggman spin-off because it's the only gameplay that captures the essence of being Ivo correctly; a simple mech shooter is far too limited (and generic), and a strategy game presents the problem of lacking suitable opposing forces other than the boring GUN. When I think of what essentially composes Ivo's combat style and would consequentially be the basis for his gameplay, is always coming up with new, more powerful, more unique mechs. The only way to truly capture that is to be able to built (and pilot) them yourself. That's what would make a true Eggman game, and not a shooter or RTS with an Eggman skin.

Some argue that having a villain based on the antagonist isn't a good idea because they prefer the villain to be more "distant". That's fine. I myself would hate the idea of fighting a "more evil" character, as that dimishes Eggman's villany in his own game, which would be terrible. With that in mind, I would suggest having a rival mad scientist as the antagonist, who is competing with Eggman for something they both want. That way, Ivo would be trying to prove his superiority as a villain, rather than fighting a greater evil.

That's more or less the ideal Dr. Eggman game for me. It would be unique, and at the same time capture the essence of the character.

• Thumbs Up 2

Some argue that having a villain based on the antagonist isn't a good idea because they prefer the villain to be more "distant". That's fine. I myself would hate the idea of fighting a "more evil" character, as that dimishes Eggman's villany in his own game, which would be terrible. With that in mind, I would suggest having a rival mad scientist as the antagonist, who is competing with Eggman for something they both want. That way, Ivo would be trying to prove his superiority as a villain, rather than fighting a greater evil.

While I do think that's a better idea, I'm still not too keen on Robotnik having a "rival". (Yes, I'm one of those people who don't consider Sonic and Robotnik to be "rivals". Robotnik is more than a rival, hut hut.) Then again, I suppose there aren't that many other options, which is one of the biggest reasons for why I've never thought too much about a Robotnik spinoff, despite being as big of a fanboy as I am.

• Thumbs Up 1

On the topic of an Eggman spinoff, how about having the "antagonist" as the hero? Maybe Eggman finds a new planet/dimension/time period/whatever, and then he does what Eggman does. The ruler of this land is a decent guy, and people like him, but as far as Eggman's concerned, he's rubbish and the people deserve a better leader (no prizes for guessing who that would be). So the king's trying to protect his land from Eggman by using his armies, but Eggman, even though he's the protagonist, is very clearly the bad guy.

Think of it as a "Villain Protagonist/Hero Antagonist" thing - no need to have any possible "I'm eviler than you" issues arise from villains or rivals and whatnot.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm gonna have to go with Metal Sonic...again. Yeah, I'm quite attached to that character, aren't I? But hear me out. It wouldn't JUST be a Sonic game with a re-skin, because I've got another idea. You know Metal Gear Rising? You know how it's a hack and slash? I want that. Metal Sonic just ripping through enemies with speed and power. Think of the possibilities for upgrades, stuff to make him stronger, make him your own.

Now I know that doesn't sound too amazing, but I think it'd be a different direction, good for a spin-off. It doesn't have to be violent, I mean, you can just make him tear through robots. I just think it'd be fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

On the topic of an Eggman spinoff, how about having the "antagonist" as the hero? Maybe Eggman finds a new planet/dimension/time period/whatever, and then he does what Eggman does. The ruler of this land is a decent guy, and people like him, but as far as Eggman's concerned, he's rubbish and the people deserve a better leader (no prizes for guessing who that would be). So the king's trying to protect his land from Eggman by using his armies, but Eggman, even though he's the protagonist, is very clearly the bad guy.

Think of it as a "Villain Protagonist/Hero Antagonist" thing - no need to have any possible "I'm eviler than you" issues arise from villains or rivals and whatnot.

Yeah, okay, I suppose I can work with that. Sounds like a Sonic version of Destroy All Humans.

I want... A tower defense style game starring Eggman.

The guy's had so many crazy machines over the years, it'd be brilliant to take control of them and try to build a level that'd give even Megaman a heart attack.

Maybe even resorting to piloting a mech yourself if your traps fail.

I know I'd buy it!

Team_chaotix.png

A game based around the Chaotix would be quite interesting. These three really fit the 'buddy cop' trait well: they're three really quite different characters and to the most extent, they honestly don't like working with each other all that much, but they have to, be it for different abilities and receiving money for the rent and the like. A game about them would open a lot of opportunities for character development, plus it'd give SEGA another chance at trying out Team Chaotix's mission-like formula in Heroes, whilst it was mediocre in that game, when pulled off correctly I could see it being really fun along with extra missions (finding Chao in each stage like SA2, anyone?) would give a lot of replay value.

117.jpg

It's no secret to most around here that I really miss when Amy and Cream were like peas in a pod. A game around the two with Amy providing speed like Sonic does alongside the strengths she can express in the Piko-Piko Hammer, alongside Cream's flight abilities and that absolute fucking tank of a Chao, Cheese. It'd be nice to see gameplay style wise, plus I've actually wanted to see their friendship grow further similarly to how Sonic and Tails' friendship has been recently. 

the_4th_wall_by_rena1997-d5fqvmg.jpg

An adventure/point and click game a la Monkey Island/Broken Sword/Runaway, in both mechanics and humor, with the Chaotix as the heroes, would be really nice to play smile.png

Or alternatively, I'd like to have Tails as the protagonist.

First, because I want to know how to build a TV out of paper clips.

Second, because I want to see more of his weird facial expressions

rolleyes.gif

tumblr_inline_n326pwphR51spvrli.pngtumblr_inline_n326r5kFSc1spvrli.pngtumblr_inline_n326siVAGJ1spvrli.pngtumblr_inline_n326t3yvew1spvrli.pngtumblr_inline_n326tpekMo1spvrli.pngtumblr_inline_n326uegCsB1spvrli.png

Day 28: most wanted spin off's

Hmm, for this one I am going to have to say our purple fiery feline, Blaze.

this may be based on a slight bias, but there is so much about her and her world we do not yet know, if its as vast as Sonic's then the islands visited in Rush Adventure would only be but a fraction of the landmass. Id love to see her doing her royal duties and protect the Sol Emeralds from a threat, new or maybe see a semblance of a longtime rival. We could get to see more of Marine and how Blaze interacts with her and learn more about mystical objects in her universe like the Jeweled Scepter. She has gameplay already very similar to Sonic's so I can imagine it wouldnt be too different.

Another idea I thought of that I quite liked was a spinoff based around Tails. He hears about one of Eggmans plan and he goes to find sonic, the first level or two are about Tails trying to find Sonic and telling him about the plan. Then they work together to try and stop the plan. Bosses would work differently with Sonic being his usual self but Eggman got smarter and spent a nit more time on his robots, not putting great big "fuck me" lights on it. Tails has to jump onto the robot and dismantle a panel or the armour or something so Sonic can take it out. Something like that...but executed in a better way than I can explain! 

• Thumbs Up 1

[ Day 28 : Characters You'd Like to See a Rotation-On Of ]

I'm of the group that says that the primary focus should be Sonic games.  It's more than possible to have a main series Sonic game have a character that takes the limelight over Sonic without it being totally terrible, so that's honestly the closest thing I'd like to see to another character get his own game.

But one thing I do think would be interesting to see is a modern adaptation of Tails Adventure or a sequel perhaps.  I think it would be neat to have a modern adventure-style game that uses various gadgets and abilities.  Also, Tails throwing bombs.  It would be awesome!

Might be in the minority here, but I think an Amy game would pretty neat, too, if they expanded upon her mechanics from SA1. provided she was written appropriately and with respect.  Amy's story is actually one of my favorites in SA1, so I wouldn't mind seeing more like that in the future.

Honorable mention also goes to Knuckles as slow-paced exploring would probably work very well for him as well.

Day 28: Who should get a spinoff?

Team Chaotix! No doubt about it, these guy are my pick. Aside from the fact that they're hilarious, have great chemistry when we see them and are varied personalities that are immensely entertaining, a Chaotix Detective Agency spinoff has the potential to go against the grain of the series by giving us slower, more cerebral gameplay in the form of a whodunnit mystery in the vein of the Professor Layton games.

It would be a novel idea, and I'd buy it just for the Team's interactions with one another, not considering the scope for a madcap detective adventure to pay Vector's electricity bills. If you think about it, a Chaotix game at a slower pace would -- ironically -- let us see more of Sonic's world as we look for clues to solve the latest caper, travelling through the city and making street contacts for info. Maybe it would be less gumshoe than that, but it's still an intriguing idea for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think a Silver spinoff could be pretty awesome. His telekinesis gameplay has so much potential and if it was done right it would be a really fun game. Aside from the obvious picking up stuff and throwing it at enemies, I would want it to give you access to pretty much everything around you. Everything is at your disposal and it opens up lots of depth for combat, platforming and puzzles. I could see him filling in a Metal Gear Rising type of role, being a crime fighting special operation agent or something. (but without all the convoluted and bloody subject matter of metal gear solid).

day 28: character you want a spinoff

Hmm, I would go for chaotix or Omega, mystery or destruction both would be great

28/30

Question #28: Which character(s) would you like to see a spinoff for?

Hmm...

Okay, let’s--for the purposes of this topic--imagine a situation where everything’s just coming up Sonic. No bad games impacting negatively on Sonic’s reputation, no overprotective Sega shifting into maximum overdrive, no public folks delivering endless hate hoots on Sonic’s frenemies. In that sort of situation, where they could actually get away with making such a spinoff without much repercussions, I do have one character that would benefit greatly from it. A scrappy character of sorts, that character is…

Werehog.png

“… Sonic the Werehog. You kiddin’, right?” 

Nope, actually. Allow me to explain. I’ve always been an on-again, off-again fan of this guy here: intrigued by his fun platformer/beat-’em-up hybrid style of gameplay; yet baffled by how Sega decided to have it in the same game as the more superbly enjoyable Daytime stages, to a more significant degree than that, even. In fact, I think that’s partially why he was panned so thoroughly--with an awesome Sonic gameplay like the Daytime, just about anything would look unimpressive by comparison. What I would do, for starters, is to have him get a game all to himself, of course. That way, there were no comparable gameplay styles within it to worry about affecting his reception any further.

They way I see it, Sonic the Werehog would benefit greatly from having a more puzzles platforming oriented gameplay, with a lessened emphasis on combat. I mean, the big lug has stretchy arms, not unlike Monkey D. Luffy or Mr. Fantastic. That, by itself, could make for some interesting puzzles, obstacles to traverse and other gameplay features. Combine that emphasis with his super strength, and you’d have quite a force to be reckoned with. Parts of this were used to a small degree in Sonic Unleashed, but it was so overshadowed by the constant battles that it seems outright nonexistent at times. With this puzzle-platformer style, it’d not only give the Werehog some beneficial distinction, but also more easily reconcile him with the Sonic franchise’s overall presentation. This doesn’t even have to be a new event in the canon; just have it take place during the world adventure of Unleashed, and there shouldn’t be too many problems.

D'oooooh, Endy beat me to the Silver/Metal Gear Rising comparison. Oh well...

K5QgVQN.png

Anyway, me and a friend tend to toss this idea around a few times for the hell of it. It would essentially be Silver in a Metal Gear Rising-esque game. It would be a lot more combat orientated than your average Sonic game and would flesh out Silver's telekinesis abilities that were utterly useless in 06. Instead of the sword like Raiden uses in MGR, Silver could use his psychic abilities to perform quick slashes of psychic energy and/or throw them towards enemies (like his attacks from Sonic Generations' rival battle) among various other powers and upgrades for said powers to make them stronger.

For the story, it could have Silver in his future timeline, but it's not apocalyptic and people live peaceful lives. But along comes Generic Big Baddy #268 who tries to take over his world, and you use your abilities to stop his plans. Simple.

Also, I'd just like to mention that both Raiden and Silver share the same VA now (Quinton Flynn), which makes things even more fitting.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 28: Most Suitable Side Character for a Spin-off Game

The Sonic franchise is known to feature an immense selection of side characters, some of these becoming more popular than others. Fans of the franchise may also be attached to these side characters and find their personalities and their potential to expand their backstories worth enough to even have his or her own game. This is something that's already been experimented in the past with Tails, Knuckles and Shadow, but I think...

Knuckles_The_Echidna_(1).png

Knuckles The Echidna

... definitely deserves another spin-off game. While Knuckles Chaotix was an interesting twist applied to the Sonic formula as well as introducing brand new characters, Knuckles is a character whose backstory has a lot of potential to be explained and expanded in a new game: something that delves into the Echidnas and their ancient civilisation, how Knuckles is one of the only ones of their kind who survived and how he's known to be the guardian of the Master Emerald. All applied to Sonic's core gameplay with his characteristic abilities (combat, gliding, digging, etc.) could be an interesting spin-off indeed.

I'm of the group that says that the primary focus should be Sonic games. It's more than possible to have a main series Sonic game have a character that takes the limelight over Sonic without it being totally terrible, so that's honestly the closest thing I'd like to see to another character get his own game.

Under normal circumstances, I really wouldn't want to see another “supporting character focused” spinoff game for the time being. I mean, with Sonic Lost World’s unfortunately middling reception, coupled with the ever prevalent attitudes that Sonic’s supporting cast should just be scrapped altogether, I really do think that the main games should be significantly improved in EVERY aspect first before they should try their hand at pursuing a title that would likely be dead on arrival. In addition, as Nepenthe already hinted at, the somewhat questionable writing coupled with the current Sonic-centric narrative that Sega’s shooting for could have an impact on such a spinoff would play out.

*cough cough*

So I've seen a few posts that have the odd "I don't actually want any spinoffs because it's not a good time/the characters are uninteresting/etc etc but if I had to pick one..." type of comment here and there. I apologise for being a nuisance, but could you guys please keep that sort of talk to a minimum? The question is all about who would have a spinoff if there had to be one/a few, so I feel that these comments can come off as a little redundant, on top of bringing a downbeat atmosphere to what was meant to be a simple and lighthearted question. Thank you for your time and cooperation. smile.png

Day #28: Which character(s) would you like to see a spinoff for?

Like a lot of others have said, I'd really like Blaze to get a spinoff. Sure, we got Sonic Rush Adventure, but it didn't really expand much on the Sol Dimension. What's the deal with the Jeweled Scepter and this "Power of the Stars" thing? What's the origin of Johnny and Whisker? How did Marine meet Blaze? What's the story behind the Sol Emeralds? How did Blaze get fire powers? So many questions left unanswered that would perfectly integrate into a Blaze spinoff.

I'd also go with the Deadly Six, since they have absolutely no backstory to speak of. Also, what exactly happened to them at the end of Lost World? Sega wouldn't hype them up like they did for nothing. Sure, we saw how Eggman met up with the Deadly Six in a comic-exclusive prologue, but how did Eggman know about the Lost Hex in the first place? Wait, scratch that. How did anyone know about the Lost Hex? How come it wasn't discovered until recently when it apparently has been in the sky the whole time? A Deadly Six spinoff would definitely be of benefit to those of us left wondering where they came from and where they went.

Day 28 Challenge: Which character I would like to see a spin-off for
27/30 Challenges Completed

Sonic_Channel_-_Silver_the_Hedgehog_2013

-Still dreaming of an absolution-

I would personally really like Silver get his own game. I know that he probably really wasn't that well received when he was first introduced in Sonic 06, but I actually really did like him and would enjoy seeing him go on whatever adventure he has to go on to help solve whatever big problem he's faced with. I guess if many would like to see Blaze involved with Silver in the story, then that would be fine too. I really don't mind having it as Blaze is Silver close friend/partner (the equivalent to Sonic and Tails, and Shadow and Rouge). Though, if Blaze is involved in the story, maybe the story can be somewhat centered around the SOL Emeralds and fighting Dr. Eggman Nega?

tumblr_mq1humQwM91sv3ilfo1_r1_500.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slBQA8vS8To

I enjoyed his gameplay the most in Sonic 06, and I wouldn't mind the gameplay returning for his own game. SonicTeam could do whatever they correctly need to do when it comes to tweaking his gameplay style and updating it so it can be better than how it originally was back in 2006. Keep the main ability for him to pick up objects and use them to attack enemies. As for Blaze, if she's in the game and playable, she pretty much can play as she did in Sonic 06 when it comes to homing attacking enemies and using a fire spin attack to burn and destroy enemies. 

Not sure what else to say... Oh, wait! His game needs a remix of his theme song as well. That glorious theme song needs another remix. It's a must. 

800px-Silver_profile_SG.png

After reading this, it really does give the feeling that Silver has a lot of potential for his own game...

28/30 Challenges Completed

• Thumbs Up 2

*cough cough*

Oh, my apologies, Crusher. I completely forgot about that--I didn't mean to come across as being a sourpuss. If you want, I can just remove that passage of mine altogether.

If you're okay with that, thanks.

Sorry if I'm too demanding. It's just that I have admittedly gotten a little agitated with not being listened to on a number of occasions, if I'm going to be honest.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you're okay with that, thanks.

Sorry if I'm too demanding. It's just that I have admittedly gotten a little agitated with not being listened to on a number of occasions, if I'm going to be honest.

Nah, man, it's cool. In retrospect, a passage like that just comes across as a wee bit jarring for a thread like this. Again, I apologise if I came across grumpy there before.

DAY 28 OF PRESIDENT CROW MAKING SPINOFFS!

Eh, I'll echo my previous day for this and say...

deadly-six-640x359_zps0622a634.jpg

The Deadly Six!

As I mentioned in my previous post, the Deadly Six were very underutilized as antagonists. We never get to explore their characters much so all we got going for them is that they like to destroy stuff for shits and giggles. But honestly I love them regardless and I do wanna see them more.

If they receive their spin off I really expect a lot from it. Firstly it would be a chance to expand their characters and their role in the Sonic universe which is always a good thing. And secondly since they are avatars of destruction I would expect that playing as them wrecking shit up which is something you didn't see until Shadow, and even then that game didn't had much destruction. Hell I think their control over robots would make a unique gimmick for puzzles and what not.

I feel like these characters have plenty of potential to be great and I would love to play as them to be honest. I think it would be cool to play as them so yeah. Until next time SSMB!

• Thumbs Up 3

I gotta go with the Knux. Well, I should specify that I want Knuckles AND the Chaotix to be a package deal for this. I am one of the ten people who actually liked Knuckles' Chaotix and would love a sequel, so that's my answer. The Chaotix have been on the side since Heroes, and they would really be able to shine in a new Knuckles Chaotix game. And yes, Mighty would need to come back.

As for characters who haven't already had spinoffs, I'll go with Blaze. I think she's a really interesting character, and she's definitely the coolest post-Adventure character. I wouldn't want any other Sonic characters in her game, as it should take place entirely in the Sol dimension. I would hope that a new villain would be introduced, or Eggman Nega could actually become interesting. The former would be more likely. Since Rush was the origin of boost gameplay, I guess this could be a boost game. Though I mainly want this game to happen for the story and for the expansion of the Sol dimension.

• Thumbs Up 1