Awoo.

JezMM

Calling Sonicsnumber1fan.

May I recommend using a line tool if the software you use has such a feature? It makes drawing objects with straight lines, like the table and the line separating your floor and wall a lot easier and makes them look less distorted. Paint.NET can be downloaded for free and it features a line tool and a load of other features.

I like the "Droste effect" you have going on in your picture (the "picture within a picture" on your portrait) and I do appreciate how you made it as detailed as you could in the smaller image. I'd like to see a future drawing by you with colors.

Here's my submission:

All right Gabe, I'll give this a shot. First time that I decided to proceed with this thread, so whoo!

Your "game screenshot" really gives off a welcoming and calming vibe for me. The choice of colors is very easy on the eyes, which really adds to its peaceful feeling. While on the surface it might seem rather simple, given it is an open grassland, there's a spectacular attention to detail that you show off.From the tiny blades of grass to the individual little strands of leaves on the tree, it makes the piece seem more immersive.

If I could make a suggestion, I think the piece would benefit from a little more shading. From what I can tell, the setting is a beautiful, pink sunset. The immersion factor would definitely increase if the grass the character was running on, as well as in the background, were made a little darker to reflect that. I only say this because the trees seem to have this effect that I'm talking about. Having only the trees with this type of shading while the rest of the piece doesn't just seems a little bit inconsistant. That said, I really do enjoy your work here. Pretty great job here.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Well, seeing as I just posted it in my art topic, I don't see why I can't get some feedback for it here as well.

Call it an apology gift for not being able to show up that much for the past few months.

the_seven_deadly_sins_by_zero26t-d7hueh4

I got Zavok!

Alright, first off. Wow. I'm very impressed by how well you managed to draw and shade using only a pencil. The picture has a nice epic feel to it thanks to the wonderful pencils and shading to it. I especially love Eggman in the back! Proportions seem to be spot on for all the characters and the expressions are equally as good. You've nailed Eggman's evil grin, Zavok's grim frown, and Zazz's zany punk like personality. And the rest of the Deadly Six look really good too! I love how you added the Lost Hex in the background, and the characters in what seems to be clouds. It's almost as if they are showing us who the owners of the Lost Hex are! Beautiful! I really can't find much of anything wrong with this image. laugh.png I'm trying but everything about it is too damn awesome! Splash some colour onto it and it'll make an amazing desktop wallpaper! Ah man, I can't help but love the way you draw Eggman and Zazz. They're easily my favourite part of your drawing. Fantastic work, dude!

Now here's my recently finished art work. Again, digital. I'm trying to get more practice in that category since I'm a little iffy. I've been experimenting with different brushes and coloring methods. Thoughts?

9FLXxzR.png

For anyone wondering, the program I'm using is Krita.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is actually a pretty good drawing! The girl herself is cute, and the shading is pretty well done save for near the bottom of the jacket. I'm probably nitpicking in that regard though. The hands are blocky, but it's probably part if your drawing style, and it fits with the general aesthetic of the picture. I'd also recommend experimenting with expressions, both with the mouth and face in general.

Here's a WIP of a pic I'm making of my character, Suzanne (or Suzy for short):

rPxxjTr.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Calling Felix/Suzanne.

I like how you use varying lines for "constructing" your character for your sketch and you have some good anatomy design. Aside from her left arm, which looks oddly shaped to me-particularly how the sleeve seems to "curve" into the design of the arm, I think your sketch looks pretty nice. Am interested in seeing how the finished thing looks.

OK, here's the first part (WIP I guess-the sketches may be different in expressions/gestures/motions/etc. in the final image) of my SSMB Avatar Series that I announced a while back (as in...nearly a year ago) and actually got started on a good five-six months ago :/ (and for those wondering, my intentions in terms of character design is to be faithful to the original / "official" design(s) ).

ssmb_avatar_requests_part_i__workprint__

• Thumbs Up 1

Called Gabe!

The overall picture is pretty nice, but you could use some work on your anatomy. The human characters (especially Samus) have...well, extremely short legs. Seems great otherwise! ^^

Now for this picture, I made it over the course of a week. Entirely in MS Paint. I'm pretty proud of it, especially considering that I've always thought of Zekrom as the hardest Pokemon ever to draw. (also this is a shiny zekrom in case anyone's wondering about that green lightning)

shiny_zekrom_by_voxai-d7iul2p.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Called Gabe!

The overall picture is pretty nice, but you could use some work on your anatomy. The human characters (especially Samus) have...well, extremely short legs. Seems great otherwise! ^^

Now for this picture, I made it over the course of a week. Entirely in MS Paint. I'm pretty proud of it, especially considering that I've always thought of Zekrom as the hardest Pokemon ever to draw. (also this is a shiny zekrom in case anyone's wondering about that green lightning)

shiny_zekrom_by_voxai-d7iul2p.png

HOLY...

You did all of this in MS Paint?! Ok, that is pretty boss. Even without that in the back of my head to think about, this is a pretty good job you did with Zekrom. If the angle you were going for was to make it seem like a game sprite, then you hit the nail on the head. This is especially apparent with the way you gave the glowing green highlights, but it makes me think that it was a high quality sprite designed in game. The background is equally as impressive, creating a very ominous edge which displays Zekrom's devastating power. Structure looks very spot on, and the shading is superb.

If there is anything I'd say could be improved, it would refer to Zekrom itself. Now while I have no problems with his colouring or shading, he seems to blend in with the background a little too much for my liking. I think it would greatly benefit the behemoth if there were bolder lines outlining him. It would also make him appear more "sharp," as the background makes him seem a little bit fuzzy to me. Granted, it is MS Paint, so either way, you did great work here.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

DuLvJdZ.jpg

As for me, here's a piece that I pretty much spent all day working on. It's obviously not finished, as not everything (especially the star attraction) doesn't have color. It feels off to me, so I plan on redoing it. The finished piece will go in my art topic and on my deviantART.

So what do you guys think? It's good old Rosalina, resting a bit in the Super Mario Galaxy stage in Smash 4.

• Thumbs Up 1

Calling Zavok.

Even though you say it's not finished, I still like the coloring progress you've done so far, with just the planet/grass/trees and the Luma/wand/brooch(?) on Rosa's shirt with just a few dominant colors. It has a very nice minimalistic approach to it. The designs of the planet are also very faithful to the source material. I do find Rosa's dress (or apparent lack of one) odd though, and the placement of one of the log stumps isn't corresponding to the sphere perspective of the planet (the one next to Rosa's right arm). I don't know whether this is intentional or not, especially since it's a WIP as you say it is. Overall, I think it's still really nice despite not being finished.

My submission is one I made but a few days ago-Limbonochrome Forest (feat. Wynnie and Marlowe)

limbonochrome_forest_by_yeow95-d7jvbzz.p

• Thumbs Up 2

• 9 months later...

Gabe!

(I know this is old because of the server crash but I'll do it anyway even if you got a reply before :v)

I really like the style for this image. It really gives a spooky and lost kind of sense. I really like how the foreground is all black and as the image goes deeper the colour gets lighter and the images get foggier. It gives a nice illusion that you're there, seeing this rather creepy forest.

The characters are also nicely shown. I like how you made them dark but not completely dark. You can still sorta see what kind of clothes they are wearing and the fact that the girl on the left is holding a map. It's a great mix of known and unknown since not all the details are there. The facial expressions are also well made. Simple, but they get the job done and work well for this piece. You definitely get the feeling of confusion and fear across well. 

You know, this piece actually gives me the feeling of an old horror movie, even though I've never actually seen one. I think it may be the colours or the way you drew the trees. 

And now it's time for my latest piece. After months of not touching digital art, I decided I'd give it another go. So here's the result of 5 hours of me dragging my mouse all over the place trying to make something not hideous. :v

QLqMDit.png

How do I shade?

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

It's cool! I like the coloring and style, reminds me of a cel shaded video game. The only thing is it doesn't look that... dynamic? The characters look a bit stiff. Maybe angle their limbs more...? It's hard to describe it because I don't know anything about drawing lol. Make it so it conveys a sense of speed and power, ya know? Otherwise I like the character designs and the idea.

I took a photo of my breakfast. Playing with composition and color balance.

16886973830_629a85b15c_b.jpgEggs by Discoid, on Flickr

• Thumbs Up 2

Nice Work! It's a bit difficult to think of some negatives about this one. Mainly because I don't have any knowledge about the art of photography but all I can say is that it looks very professional. 

tumblr_nkz6heh13h1rumtedo1_1280.png

Gah, image is too big. 0_o Anyway I recently lost motivation ( It happens alot whenever I'm close to finishing something, I hate it) to finish this drawing of a maple moth girl.  I still need to fix the proportions a bit and I feel like it's missing something..not sure what. 

• Thumbs Up 6

• 3 weeks later...

Nice Work! It's a bit difficult to think of some negatives about this one. Mainly because I don't have any knowledge about the art of photography but all I can say is that it looks very professional. 

tumblr_nkz6heh13h1rumtedo1_1280.png

Gah, image is too big. 0_o Anyway I recently lost motivation ( It happens alot whenever I'm close to finishing something, I hate it) to finish this drawing of a maple moth girl.  I still need to fix the proportions a bit and I feel like it's missing something..not sure what.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh wow Sami that's actually really good. I'm not too well educated about photography but as someone who just looks at and admires pictures, I really like it! In fact, I think it could make a great wallpaper. I noticed you also did a fantastic job with green screen. Usually you can see a small thin green outline but it's nowhere to be seen here. Even after downloading and zooming in, nothing. I'm quite impressed. The setting for the image is really nice too. I personally really like nature and seeing people in nature makes me feel relaxed, and gets me wanting to go for a walk in a forest. So yeah, I'd say you did a great job with this photo. Wish I could say more but since I have no experience in analyzing and critiquing photographs, I'm not sure what else to say. Well, other than that girl is really cute. :P

So yeah now onto my piece. Last week in Art class we had a free class and my teacher just said we could hang around or practice art. I, of course, decided to practice my art and ended up filling a page with doodles. Only 3 of which I actually felt proud of. Looking back, yeaahhh I can see a few flaws but I still like it and it's of the better things I've sketched. So have a Rocko, will ya. If you don't know Rocko's Modern Life, get out of my sight. D:<

EfH5AUP.jpg

I feel like digitally enhancing and finalizing this.. Though knowing my digital art skills I'll probably bu- *opens Krita*

Nice little sketch. I can see a few flaws in there. It's a little messy but practice is practice. 

Here's mine. I drew a sketch of Gardevoir and then I decided to digital paint it. I'm learning more about color theory and gradients. I think I have a long way to go. 

tumblr_npaon0p0F31t1u4yao1_1280.png

• Thumbs Up 5

Nice little sketch. I can see a few flaws in there. It's a little messy but practice is practice. 

Here's mine. I drew a sketch of Gardevoir and then I decided to digital paint it. I'm learning more about color theory and gradients. I think I have a long way to go. 

tumblr_npaon0p0F31t1u4yao1_1280.png

This is absolutely mind-blowingly gorgeous. You've definitely got a much better handle on coloring, shading, etc than I do XD

I love how the whole pose seems so cohesive and dynamic even though she's just standing there (which is something I've been struggling to figure out myself) - there's a lot of expressiveness in just the way she's standing, it's fantastic. I like that soft backlight too :)

Here's my submission (cross posted from my personal art dump thread):

He's supposed to be sitting on a ledge or something, but (as usual) I got lazy so the ledge is invisible.

alternate_style_test_by_killamaaki-d8vpa

Ohhhh myyyy Gooooood. It's SHADOW. As a TEENAGER. He looks so cool! I like it. I actually find it impressive how you could draw it so he looks like he's sitting on a ledge without actually having a ledge. I kinda need a line or some guidance to do that, otherwise it looks awkward. :L 

But yeah wow. The proportions are nice, the colours are great, the shading is amazing. This style actually looks like it could be in an anime. Like, a Sonic high school anime. :P (I'd totally watch that) Not sure how you could improve this.. Hmmm.. I guess, the shoes are a bit too long? Kinda go halfway up his shins, and I think it'd be better if they are a tad lower. And make the shoes more ovaly? Eh. That's kinda nitpicky though. I know how hard shoes can be to draw. Great work though, seriously. Shadow looks awesome in a hoodie. :3

Okay so I know I posted here recently already buuuut I made something nice and I wanna share. So, maybe some of you guys remember the one drawing I did of this girl playing a guitar? I had it here before it got wiped. And well, two days ago I decided to redraw it. I changed it up a tad but the idea is still there. And this time I used an actual guitar as reference to draw, so it looks less awkward. I hope. 

WpDf4sU.png

• Thumbs Up 2

ElectricAngel! I got ya!

Anyway, this is a wonderful drawing that's very relaxing; showcasing a character just being herself and enjoying a cozy hobby of playing the guitar. I like the looks of the guitar, the adorable dog snoozing and the style you were going for with the girl. Everything reads as it should and it's clear to what is being displayed. And honestly, I didn't even notice that she didn't have any pants on since it's very subtle. If anything, I assume she was just in her night clothes with a really long shirt and short shorts or anything casual since she's just spending time with herself. So no worries there.

Now if I do have to critique this picture. I'll say that the perspective is a little off with the girl's lower half on the bed and the amp on the table. Crossed leg poses are hard, believe me. But if I can suggest anything to straighten that up, it would be to slightly elevate her knees a bit. It will give the bottom leg more form to make it seem a little less flat. As for the amp, I think it's perspective should be tilted down a little to make it seem a bit more on par with the table it's on. Also, on last critique. I recommend straighten out her right upper arm -- the one strumming the guitar -- to make it look a little more natural since it's looks like it's caving in around the instrument.

Otherwise it looks great and is a fun picture to enjoy!

Anyway! Here's something from me!

Fitts_entry_Capcom_Fighting_1.jpg

A picture of mine that I made to be submitted to the Capcom Fighting Tribute. It didn't make it in, but I'm still proud of the overall effort I put into it.

• Thumbs Up 2

I gotta say, I really like this piece. Even though it's a large group short, it doesn't feel busy or anything, and I think the chain helps guide the viewers' eyes through it. I especially love the variation in expressions as well as the coloring. It's very light and fun, and the characters must have a pretty funny relationship. The only things that stand out to me are that the chain does confuse me a bit with how it changes size. I'm guessing this is more of an in-universe thing, I'm not familiar with the characters, but since the change in size isn't gradual, it might look off to some. On a more personal note, I think I'd change the character on the left's hand gesture very slightly, probably to show that she was just holding the bowl before it fell. Maybe showing the hand like it was still out whereas here it looks like she just pulled back after. It's a little thing, but I don't think the way you did it hurts the piece at all.

Great stuff, as usual! Hopefully this helps!

Well, as for me...

aelitaweb.png

Lately I've been feeling really out of practice with things--I draw more lately, but it feels kind of stale for me personally, so I'm making myself practice things I've been struggling with lately, such as gestures and portraits. This here is a portrait I did as I've been watching Code Lyoko recently, trying to interpret one of the characters, Aelita, into my own style. I spent a lot of time tweaking and correcting the features, so thoughts on how I did and what I can improve upon would be helpful!

Well, Zaysho! I got ya, pal!

You've already read my opinion of this picture, so you already know that I really like the quality of this picture. The line work is absolutely fantastic as it reads Aelita very well. It can tell it's her from Code Lyoko, but I really do find more charm in how you drew her when compared to the original 3D models from the show. The quality of the lines are absolutely clean without any faults as far as I can see. The shading isn't too heavy so it would welcome any coloring style if coloring was to be applied.

When it comes to critiquing, I would like to point out a possible way that this could be improved. But I honestly, don't see much room for such. It's great quality line work, reads extremely well. Honestly, the only thing I can say about this piece -- without feeling like I'm resulting to nitpicking is that I would really like to see it colored. It's more or less how I feel whenever I see great line work, but if you choose to leave it the way it is. I wouldn't complain in the least!

Anyway! Here's another piece from me. Actually it's one I posted on here earlier, but was removed when some of the posts wiped. I just want to get another opinion of it.

tumblr_ndx9dfYd351sc4fbpo1_1280.png

It's an older piece than my Capcom Picture. and I wanted to test different painting skills out when Photoshop wouldn't work right on my computer.

They are a few OCs I made from a sudden idea that come from nowhere. Rock n' Roll Rabbits from the VHS Quadrant.

From left to right: Bite, Yukiko, Abigail.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like the interaction and dynamic between the characters in this piece. If I had to make a critique or two, I think the muscle shading could be a little more subtle. The perspective of the bottle Bite's holding is also a little bit unclear - the lip is a bit straight particularly, and doesn't seem to match the direction of the rest of the bottle. Or maybe I'm looking at it wrong.

Otherwise, it's a good piece and it makes me want to know more about these characters (it implies that there's a history between these characters and I want to know more about it XD)

Right, here's my entry. An OC: Flynn, the fox. Trying out a different shading method. I also tried to limit how many different colors I used, and further limited myself to just two hues (except for the outline).

I also learned a new method of drawing twisting humanoid forms, which is where I got the inspiration for the pose.

oc__flynn_by_killamaaki-d8x3tr6.png

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

Nice drawing KillaMaaki. I don't know if it's me but that right arm is looking a bit weird to me (I could over-analyzing it). Other than that, nice job. 

17687_1464265803889697_58622100567629247

I was brainstorming one of creature transformations for my comic series. Heavily inspired by the wonderful creatures, "birds of paradise". I ended up liking option B but I'm not done with the markings. I feel like they should be better. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Sooo. Critique.. *sees absolutely no flaws* Mmm... Hmmmm... I know you say you feel the designs should be better.. but I can't see how they can be better. :V I do like design B better, though, if that helps. I feel someone else should've talked about this because I really have no idea how you can improve these. :L But by now I think you've included them in your comic, right? Well anyway, I think it's a very interesting and unique design. I think the only time I've seen bird people is in Wind Waker, and those were a lot less interesting, design wise. So yeah. I'm kinda interested in reading this comic now..

But er, right. I have an art piece too. At first I told myself to not touch digital art until my tablet comes but since my order got cancelled and the economic situation doesn't seem to be getting better, I pretty much just went back to using my mouse. :V But I feel good about this one, and I think I'm starting to figure out this whole shading stuff so, um, have a Sonic. Because I noticed I never shared any Sonic drawings on here before.

Kq3PY8p.png

I had no idea what I was thinking when I came up with this pose, but it was like "You're not Eggman!" or.. something like that. 

• Thumbs Up 5

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo. Critique.. *sees absolutely no flaws* Mmm... Hmmmm... I know you say you feel the designs should be better.. but I can't see how they can be better. :V I do like design B better, though, if that helps. I feel someone else should've talked about this because I really have no idea how you can improve these. :L But by now I think you've included them in your comic, right? Well anyway, I think it's a very interesting and unique design. I think the only time I've seen bird people is in Wind Waker, and those were a lot less interesting, design wise. So yeah. I'm kinda interested in reading this comic now..

But er, right. I have an art piece too. At first I told myself to not touch digital art until my tablet comes but since my order got cancelled and the economic situation doesn't seem to be getting better, I pretty much just went back to using my mouse. :V But I feel good about this one, and I think I'm starting to figure out this whole shading stuff so, um, have a Sonic. Because I noticed I never shared any Sonic drawings on here before.

I had no idea what I was thinking when I came up with this pose, but it was like "You're not Eggman!" or.. something like that. 

All right, Swi - I mean, ElectricAngel. Time to do something that I like: looking at fanart.

So this is mouse art, right. Cool! Right off the bat, the expressiveness you've given Sonic is pretty snazzy. The pose has a pretty great flow to it, prompting my brain to actually see the motion. Reminds me of the Sonic Genesis playthrough by Brainscratch Comms. Combined with the more zany style (that makes me think of Animaniacs for some reason), you have a goofy and charming little piece that brings a smile to my face. 

With that said, I do feel that the motion itself can be further accentuated. I can make out the motion myself, but bending Sonic's body further forward or back would place much more emphasis on the facial expression or finger respectively. I know this isn't an animation, but I think it would be even more dynamic if you exaggerated the pose a bit more. Either way the charm is unmistakable. Great job here.

GbjNElS.jpg

This is something I made earlier today, after listening to a mashup of the Gorillaz' Clint Eastwood and Space Lion from the 1st Cowboy Bebop OST. Consider it a practice piece for Phase 1 artwork, as this is my second time really drawing any of the Gorillaz outside of 2D.

• Thumbs Up 2

This is something I made earlier today, after listening to a mashup of the Gorillaz' Clint Eastwood and Space Lion from the 1st Cowboy Bebop OST. Consider it a practice piece for Phase 1 artwork, as this is my second time really drawing any of the Gorillaz outside of 2D.

That's pretty cool looking! Each of the characters seems to have a distinct personality and the whole thing has a lot of character to it.

I will say though, the blue one on the far left is quite dark and a bit difficult to see compared to the others. I wish it was brighter so I could see it better.

scenery___shading_test__warrior__by_kill

Here's my entry, which I just completed about 10 minutes ago. Took me a couple of days, I wanted to try out a new method of shading and also went quite far outside my usual comfort zone and drew a background. Not quite sure what I was thinking with that hand pose though.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 3 months later...

Rise from your grave. /AlteredBeastReference

I think your new shading technique for this picture paid off, KillaMaaki. I think it looks very nice. You've also got some really nice lineart for your character and background too. The only critique I can think of is that maybe the lighting doesn't match with the sky, but since the sun isn't in the picture I don't think it's too big of an issue.

Here's a piece I recently made.

platformer_concept_18_by_yeow95-d9etago.