Awoo.

Disney Princess

The Disney Dork

I don't know if I should be scared or excited for Anna and Elsa's re-designs...

I was thinking the same thing!!!!!  

Anna NA delsa actually have like, normal proportions. pretty soon when they join the ranks they will be tinier in the waists and have huuuge hips an busts like the rest of them... it is scary! :o. I like them the way they are, Merida and Rapunzel too :(

So, have any of you heard about this film named "Moana"? It's going to be directed by Ron Clements and John Musker (Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, etc) and it's going to feature Disney's first Polynesian princess? And plus there are rumors going around that Disney will be adapting "Rumplestiltskin" and it will feature Disney's first hispanic princess (no, Sofia the first doesn't count). I'm really looking forward to these! It's always nice to have some diversity in this line up.

573e268d-cc79-4f38-850c-3926d4db5001_Moabda7e789-0fe5-4c26-9162-cfc00e465641_102

Actually, if we're taking word from a photo leaked from a press conference, it's been renamed to "Spirited".

tumblr_n2k67pJIl71r1j2wfo1_400.png

...If this is true, seriously? The fact Disney keeps changing to names of their princess films to gender-neutral adjective titles is annoying, especially how they (partially, anyway) blamed Princess and the Frog not being the big hit they wanted it to be for it having "Princess" in the title. =/

So if this is true then I guess we should just sort of ignore all the concept art that comes out since it won't be even remotely the same. Just like last time! :P

*runs*

"Spirited", seriously? Oh well It's not that big of a deal to me as long as the movie is good.

Rapunzel to Tangled

The Bear and the Bow to Brave

The Snow Queen to Frozen

Moana to Spirited

...really, Disney? Oh well, if it's making them more money than the princess-y titles than so be it, as long as the movie itself is good.

This happens all the time with most films (and games, and books, and TV shows, etc) it's very normal to change the title. As for the Princess thing, sadly that's a reflection on our society.

I don't like the Princess line personally because I find it very shallow, it's a cash cow and it ignores other fantastic female characters such as Nani and Lilo.

• Thumbs Up 1

Changing titles is hardly something to get worked up about. In terms of films like Tangled and Frozenm the new names are much more interesting than simply titling the films "Rapunzel" and "The Snow queen" and kinda sets them apart as the Disney reimagining of the classic stories.

Moana was more than likely just a working title anyway *shrug* don't see what the big deal is as long as the final product is good,

Who's your favorite forgotten/rejected princess, everyone? Here are the "dropped" or "rejected" princesses:

Tinker Bell (Peter Pan) : Was a DP from the very start, but started appearing less and less until she was officially dropped from the franchise...she does have her own franchise now, though...Disney Fairies:

Proof: Tink appears in the very first line of DP dolls.

$T2eC16dHJGIFFozoSh!DBSKRKphWMg~~60_1.JP

Esmeralda (The Hunchback of Notre Dame) : Another princess since the start of the franchise. She appeared in many DP products and events until 2004 until she disappeared for good in 2005. No one knows why, really...but some say it was because of the controversy of the movie, the controversy of the character herself, or her looking too much like Jasmine.

Proof: Esmeralda appears as a doll in the first DP doll line (pic above). Plus, here she is on the official DP magazine: 

PRINCIPESSE_DISNEY_050.jpg

Jane Porter (Tarzan) : She was introduced as the newest princess in 1999 in the official magazine, but ever since then, she was ever talked about again and never entered the franchise. Apparently, the biggest reason is that she looked too similar to Belle (same color dress and hair). 

Proof: Here she is on the magazine.

8539891103_38f3f3fc7.jpg

Alice (Alice in Wonderland) : She served as a "test princess", appearing on the official magazine and many products with the others. She was eventually removed for unknown reasons, but probably because she was a child.

Proof: Here is Alice on the official magazine.

IMG_0790.jpg

Giselle (Enchanted) : Giselle was THIS CLOSE to becoming a princess. Disney had everything set up for her to become the newest addition since Mulan...but decided to not go through with it since they'd have to pay life long rights to Amy Adam's image (Giselle is played by AA in live action and based on her in her animated form). Because of this, Giselle was forgotten. I don't have a picture for proof, but it's pretty universally known that she was supposed to be a princess (her whole movie is a "tribute" to the original princesses, after all). 

Megara (Hercules) : Another "test princess" just like Alice. Her products did not sell well so she never entered the franchise. I can't find any pictures, but she appeared as a doll under the princess name along with a music album ("I won't say I'm in love" is included) and a pin set.

Kida (Atlantis) : Just like Giselle, there were plans...but the movie did really poorly at the box office so she was never included.

Those are all of the ones that were pretty much known to be in the franchise temporarily or at least considered to be...there are some other debatable ones but there is no proof of them ever even being considered.

While I don't think there exists any proof that she was going to be a part of the line, there was also that princess, Elionwry, I think her name was, from the Black Cauldron. But it should be pretty obvious that her being a part of the official line was tossed out when the film was a financial flop much like the Kida example.

That, and her being a princess really didn't mean anything in the overall film. She just says she is one, and that's it.  

Surely most of those characters didn't make the line purely because they're not princesses? Characters like Jane especially, only seem to be in the magazine because of some promotional reason (Tarzan had just come out), I'd hardly say it's proof that they were intended for the line and were dropped.

As for Eilonwy, I'd love to see her included. It's obvious why she isn't, most people haven't even heard of the black cauldron and the film famously flopped. I still think it's a decent film though and I'd love to see it get a little ore recognition.

Edit: Just noticed the tagline for the magazine "Every girl can be a princess", which kind of defeats my point....

That said though, if literally any disney female can be in the princess line, I demand a doll of Aurora Miranda for....personal reasons....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B1XkUZYHos

tumblr_m8vqbnFJWP1qicfexo1_500.jpg

^Mulan has been a part of the franchise from the start and she has absolutley no connection to royalty whatsoever.

I find it a shame that people say that all the Princesses look the same. It's really just how that marketting portrays them, because in their original films, they all look fairly unique in their own way. Take Snow white for instance; she actually has a normal body in her movie.

These days, it's impossible to tell her apart, aside from her hair and dress.

This is really the whole point. The original movies aren't the problem. The problem is they ruined them after they added them to the Disney Princesses line and tried to make them look more "appealing" in the Disney Princesses line.

Edit: Just noticed the tagline for the magazine "Every girl can be a princess", which kind of defeats my point....

At least that explains why Mulan is in the line. It also means that pretty much any female character capable of becoming popular could end up being in the line, though mostlikely they'd change them horribly from their original appearance and its probably best for that to not be the case.

Although really, I think Eilonwy would've been a great addition. I always liked the Black Cauldron and I think Eilonwy is a very good character. Then again, as I stated before, they'd likely ruin her anyway. Granted, most aren't TOO bad... the one they easily ruined most is definitely Merida. Eilonwy would still likely get a redesign since she is much younger were they to ever add her (which won't happen at this point).

Who's your favorite forgotten/rejected princess, everyone? Here are the "dropped" or "rejected" princesses:

Jane Porter (Tarzan) : She was introduced as the newest princess in 1999 in the official magazine, but ever since then, she was ever talked about again and never entered the franchise. Apparently, the biggest reason is that she looked too similar to Belle (same color dress and hair). 

Proof: Here she is on the magazine.

8539891103_38f3f3fc7.jpg

Alice (Alice in Wonderland) : She served as a "test princess", appearing on the official magazine and many products with the others. She was eventually removed for unknown reasons, but probably because she was a child.

Proof: Here is Alice on the official magazine.

IMG_0790.jpg

Those are all of the ones that were pretty much known to be in the franchise temporarily or at least considered to be...there are some other debatable ones but there is no proof of them ever even being considered.

Alice could've been done well really. Just look at the new Alice in Wonderland movie. Saying that Alice was dropped because of her being too young is a bit odd. Well, I don't know how well received the recent live action Alice in Wonderland movie was but I really liked it.

As for Jane, a better reason for Jane being dropped is that she was a licensed character. Half the time Jane isn't wearing a dress, either (I forgot she even did wear a dress when she first appeared), although I admit that her dress does resemble Belle's.

As for Jane, a better reason for Jane being dropped is that she was a licensed character. Half the time Jane isn't wearing a dress, either (I forgot she even did wear a dress when she first appeared), although I admit that her dress does resemble Belle's.

Well, she did wear one when she first appeared in the movie:

jane_02.jpg

I kinda get where they were coming from with the whole "dress is too similar to Belle's" thing...but really, it's only similar in color. It has enough differences, especially if they always showed her with the hat and white gloves...but I guess they just didn't want a character from Tarzan to be mixed up with the main protagonist from one of their much more famous movies. Oh well.

The one I'm most disappointed about is Esmeralda. I love HBOND and Esmey was my favorite character...plus she would of added some more diversity to the group. But the whole theme of her character in that movie along with all the controversy of the film itself is a good reason for why she's not included, I guess. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The problem with her is that the marketing department probably thought they couldn't make her dolls look unique from Belle without spending too much money. That and they probably couldn't give her big sets that look "enchanting".

It's probably for the best. Those artists who make the official Disney Princess art are some of the worst when it comes to neutering designs by sucking out all creativity.

It's probably for the best. Those artists who make the official Disney Princess art are some of the worst when it comes to neutering designs by sucking out all creativity.

The art itself is really good, it's just really bad at representing who the characters are...well, some of them. The only ones I really have problems with are Pocahontas and Mulan.

Here's Pocahontas:

d01862faebcf4db1ba87eb80ab19ceaf.jpg

Is it bad? No...she looks beautiful and I do really like the design. The problem is that Pocahontas never actually cared about looking pretty or whatever, not that she really had the option to, anyway. The boots kind of annoy me because her being bare footed always screamed "free spirited and adventurous" to me. Now, my biggest complaint is the necklace. Anyone who watched the movie would know that her necklace was her mothers, it was all she had left of her, and it was an important symbol in the movie. They replaced it with a new one in the redesign, and not that it's bad, but it's just so unnecessary.

Now, here's Mulan's:

Pngmulan.jpg

Again, is the art bad? No, she looks beautiful and the dress is very detailed and pretty...but the problem is, the whole movie was about Mulan going against the gender stereotyping. She was a tomboy, she didn't like wearing makeup or elegant dresses or acting graceful or anything like that (just like how everyone raves over Merida for, which is why I hate Merida, but that's a subject for another time). Mulan felt very uncomfortable in the matchmaker outfit, and I'll say it again: Her whole character is pretty much based off the fact that she goes against gender stereotyping. The main song of the movie "Reflection" is all about her conflict in which she wants to be herself, but doesn't want to disappoint her family either. Then Disney goes and puts her in this big and loud dress, lengthens her hair with accessories in it and puts makeup on her and calls it a day. Can't say I'm surprised they did this, since Disney hates all their ethnic princesses except Tiana, but even she is not that common to see on merchandise and whatnot. There's a ton of people complaining about this redesign, and they have been since it was released, but did Disney do anything about it? No. People did the same thing with Merida, and it got on the news and everything with kids and parents talking about, with Disney releasing an official statement and then redesigning her redesign. Ugh.

You chose the most visually unique of the group, who have very culturally different dress design to them. 

And I never said the art alone was bad. It's bad for generalizing the girls into a mess of sparkles. 

600669_495364107187855_55073600_n.jpg

Rapunzel_new_dress.png

58423_501667083224224_386104244_n.jpg

546892_502014056522860_1748241076_n.jpg

I'll give Ariel some credit for having a dress that matches her hair this time.

Did you notice they all have such a similar smile?

^Yeah, I was agreeing with you, I should've worded it better. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder when Anna and Elsa's coronation is going to be....I can't wait to see their 2D DP re-designs...

Got to a top 13 list. 

Princess Anna- She's my fave, because she's brave, adventurous, a bit dorky, and just to be happy with her sister and less alone. She never really let's sadness or anything get to her, unless it's just too much to handle, and she's quite adorable.

Belle- I just like like how she's able to see through Gaston's shallowness and doesn't fall for him just because everybody does else. She's different, and she doesn't follow the crowd and she tries to at least see the good within everybody.

Mulan- She's brave, kick-ass, strong and was willing to risk everything so her Father wouldn't die due to his weakness and injury, being unable to fight in a war. She doesn't really fit in society's box, and struggles because of it, but she finds her own way, and ends up becoming a stronger person because of it.

Elsa-  Brave, mentally- strong, a good role model, and she's quite intelligent. I think that she's a healthy role model for today's society, for to just, to love yourself and not really care too much what other people think, as longs as your happy with who you are.

Cinderella- I may get hate for this, but I like Cinderella because I really believe personally that she's mentally-strong as Elsa, and doesn't let her Stepmother's abuse or Stepsisters abuse get to her, that's pretty mentally-strong and tough. Also I think that alot of people forget that Cinderella didn't go to the ball, just to get herself a man. Cinderella wanted a dress, a day off, and to have a fun time with her Step-family.

Jasmine- Jasmine is pretty smart, intelligent, and it's nice how she wanted to marry for love and actually soft of know him first. Sadly they ruin her character, by not letting her fight and battle Jafar and just trap her within a suffocating sand hourglass. 

Pocahontas- It's nice and awesome how she wants to fight for rights of the earth, animals, life and race. She becomes a good teacher to John Smith and she's a nice role model for children and even older viewers too. Though I just personally find Jasmine a bit more interesting.

Tiana- Again like Jasmine they destroy her character by the end, because like Tiana was ambitious and hard-working and she didn't need a man to help her get her dreams, but in the end, she needs a man ???  She could of been a much stronger character, but imho, her needing Prince Naveen's aid, her character and message sort of gets lost. Though she's up higher than some other princesses, because she still manages to keep some of good character points, and the message that family love is important. She's also one of the princesses that defeats the villain.

Ariel- I don't hate Ariel at all, but her character and giving up her voice, it's just a bit of a iffy message, because even though Ariel wanted to be happy and everything within the human world, just feel uncomfortable with the way it was done. Though that is how the story goes originally, the mermaid gives up almost everything, though Disney makes it happy, while the original story, is much sadder, but deeper. She's not awful Disney Princess or anything, just, yeah almost giving up everything on true loves kiss ? yeah, urm....

Snow White-  Like Ariel and Anna she's a bit naive, but unlike Anna her naivety doesn't have a message to be this naive and why, and same with Ariel, she gets rewarded for being too innocent. Though she's kind-hearted and sweet, and quite mentally-tough for a young teenaged girl that's been hunted down by her murderous and envious Stepmother. So many people would break down, and let it take over their lifes, but nope, Snow tries to focus on the good. She's awesome for somebody who was created so long ago.

Rapunzel- Yeah just don't like her all that much sorry. Just hate how she modern speaks too much. BEST. DAY. EVVVER. She just feels too DreamWorks-y than Disney. Like trying to be pop culture to be cool. I find her annoying. Anna modern speaks sometimes too, though imo, she sounds less annoying.

Merdia- Just didn't like her character, and found her to be a bit whiny, childish and bland. Though she is unique.

Aurora (Sleeping Beauty)- Didn't do much expect sing song, look pretty, dance and then get under Maleficent's spell and then sleep.

Speaking of Anna and Elsa, I heard that a certain ice- harvester and scheming Prince is going to be at their coronation. Anybody know if this is true ???

I don't mind the princesses that much though some of their redesigns do look a little off, the only thing that really bugs me is that they are all slender, why can't Disney make a princess that isn't slim?

• Thumbs Up 1

Merdia- Just didn't like her character, and found her to be a bit whiny, childish and bland. Though she is unique.

Aurora (Sleeping Beauty)- Didn't do much expect sing song, look pretty, dance and then get under Maleficent's spell and then sleep.

Speaking of Anna and Elsa, I heard that a certain ice- harvester and scheming Prince is going to be at their coronation. Anybody know if this is true ???

I totally agree with you on those last two! Merida is by far my least favorite princess. I give the three originals (Snow White, Cinderella and Aurora) a pass since things were different back then and so were gender roles/expectations for women...but Merida, I can't stand her. I agree, she just came off as a whiny teenage brat to me. They made a big deal about her being "tough" or whatever with the bow and arrow that she never really used for actual combat anyway....what annoys me the most about her? The hype/publicity. "Merida is the first princess that fights!" Merida is the first princess that doesn't sit around waiting for a man!" Merida's this, Merida's that...but everyone seems to forget that a certain someone did all of these things (not to mention did them better) wayyyyy before this brat.

mulan__png_by_brokenheartdesignz-d6dkrm8

Everyone praises Merida for those things, yet Mulan did all of those things better and before Merida. I guess it's really Disney's fault, since Mulan (along with the other ethnic princesses) are under promoted/advertised. 

Oh, and where'd you hear that Kristoff and Hans might be at the coronation? I didn't hear anything about them being face characters, though I wouldn't be surprised due to Frozen's popularity. If they do make Hans a face character, I'm gonna feel kinda bad for the guy playing him since he will be kicked by so many people...that is, unless they'll only be for the coronation and not meet-able.

I don't mind the princesses that much though some of their redesigns do look a little off, the only thing that really bugs me is that they are all slender, why can't Disney make a princess that isn't slim?

I also want them to make a princess that isn't a typical skinny girl. They probably won't though...

• Thumbs Up 2

The only problem I could foresee with a chunky-looking Princess is that people will give Disney flack for advocating obesity.

Don't tell that wouldn't happen. Almost anything can happen should Disney try and get out of their comfort zone to shake things up, given how people have already made gay parallels with Elsa because she didn't get her Prince Charming at the end of Frozen.

She doesn't have to be fat. But there's nothing wrong with a princess with an actual body again. 

If Dreamworks could give a major female character one, why not Disney?

Chel.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1