Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

On 9/12/2017 at 10:25 PM, horridus said:

Well, funny thing actually- initially, Julie-Su WAS pink, as is the norm...

latest?cb=20130104090415

And of course looked like a Sonic character still. Why the color shift, I have no idea- could be copyright, could be a vain attempt to differentiate the LSC incarnations of the characters from their time on Sonic, but point of order is, Penders decided THAT was the look he wanted to go with. H

Oh yeah, I remember that when this first started. What was the tagline on that one and the Lien-Da one again?

On 9/12/2017 at 10:25 PM, horridus said:

His justification for Julie's rather radical shift was that he wanted to depict her as a 'working mom' instead of a 'party girl'. What prompted this and why is anybody's guess. 

Wait...what? When exactly was she a party girl?

On 9/12/2017 at 10:28 PM, CleverSonicUsername said:

Yes, knowing the characters are prone to consuming their young is an excellent expansion on the lore established in the game series. Applaud this man, he gets it!

What?!

On 9/12/2017 at 11:01 PM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Oh shit! That's a backwards CHAIR Skunk-boy is sitting on.

I thought that was... something else...

...A guitar?

On 9/13/2017 at 7:42 AM, RedFox99 said:

There's also the fact stealing the Chaos Emerald to begin with led to Sally's roboticization (and Silver's disaster as a result) by dividing the Freedom Fighters to where only Sonic and Sally could get in the Death Egg, and possibly the crossover which dragged Megaman and Blaze's world into the crossfire.

Wait, how?

• Thumbs Up 1

@DabigRG

He made a tweet a while ago about how in his version of Mobius, feral instincts sometimes take over, and an example he used was that parents will occasionally eat their young.

1 minute ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

@DabigRG

He made a tweet a while ago about how in his version of Mobius, feral instincts sometimes take over, and an example he used was that parents will occasionally eat their young.

The hell, man? What purpose could such a world building element like that serve?

19 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

The hell, man? What purpose could such a world building element like that serve?

Well Penders is a garbage storyteller and an idiot, so, none.

14 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

@DabigRG

Don't animals only do that when they are overly-stressed or think the young is not theirs? It says occasionally, but I wonder how it work?

Is it

" Honey, I just...ate our daughter"
"It's ok dear, it was an accident. it had to happen. Don't worry, we can have another one"

or

"Doctor, my husband tried to eat our only son."
"His feral instinct are kicking in. It happens occasionally."
"Is there a cure for this? Any modern technology, medication..."
"I'm sorry ma'am, our society is advanced in all levels, but we never bothered to invest in fixing ourselves."

• Chuckle 1

17 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh yeah, I remember that when this first started. What was the tagline on that one and the Lien-Da one again?

Right here-

tumblr_lz09ibTduh1rnsvazo3_540.png

tumblr_lyub2xpQOz1rnsvazo3_540.jpg

"Domestic Mate". As opposed to any other kind of mate, of course.

18 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Wait...what? When exactly was she a party girl?

Never. She was never a party girl. But evidently Penders thought people felt she looked like one, and so, gave her the horrid redesign and specified that she is a Working Mom and a DOCTOR now. Because you know, she always demonstrated such an aptitude and interest in medicine and the like... 

10 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

To repulse and nauseate people while illustrating his complete and utter lack of skill as a writer. 

He later tried to claim he 'only' meant the people of Mysterious Cat Country (better known as the Felidae thanks to FLynn), which frankly doesn't change how gross it is or the fact that he chose a 'jungle people' to be the callous cannibals of the world. All kinds of nasty implications to read into there. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

"Honey, I got a little spooked because I thought I heard someone was outside so I ate our daughter, also I'm arbitrarily gay now, you know, for the novelty I guess." - Rotor

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 2

On 9/14/2017 at 11:04 PM, horridus said:

Right here-

"Domestic Mate". As opposed to any other kind of mate, of course.

Hmm, curious...--trying too hard or not hard enough?

And yes, I thought the same thing there.

At the very least, I actually like this design here.

Never. She was never a party girl. But evidently Penders thought people felt she looked like one, and so, gave her the horrid redesign and specified that she is a Working Mom and a DOCTOR now. Because you know, she always demonstrated such an aptitude and interest in medicine and the like... 

Honestly, what was she? Not to say she was necessarily a bland or forgettable character, but I honestly have a bit of a hard time immediately describing her. 

Right here-

Ah yes, her "Diva-ishness!" Not really sure what the mindset was here.

And I have memories of someone making a necrophiliac joke because of this tagline. 

To repulse and nauseate people while illustrating his complete and utter lack of skill as a writer. 

He later tried to claim he 'only' meant the people of Mysterious Cat Country (better known as the Felidae thanks to FLynn), which frankly doesn't change how gross it is or the fact that he chose a 'jungle people' to be the callous cannibals of the world. All kinds of nasty implications to read into there. 

That makes a little more sense, horrifyingly enough, but he really should've thought that through before he said anything about it.

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Hmm, curious...--trying too hard or not hard enough?

And yes, I thought the same thing there.

At the very least, I actually like this design here.

Given that it's barely altered from the original design and still looks explicitly like a Sonic character, that's reaaally not a surprise. 

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Honestly, what was she? Not to say she was necessarily a bland or forgettable character, but I honestly have a bit of a hard time immediately describing her. 

Julie-Su was a former Legionnaire of the Dark Legion, who escaped from them and joined with the heroes. In theory this meant she was a kick-ass, action oriented sort. However, in practice she was ultimately JUST a love interest for Knuckles- even he reason for leaving the Legion was ultimately due to that inspid 'soul touch'.

By the time 25YL rolled on by, she looked like this-

latest?cb=20090629002859

And despite her background as a soldier in a technology worshipping terrorist cult, and despite Penders' insistences that she would 'still be badass' and touting the 'unconventional' nature of her union with Knuckles in that time (a common law marriage, not unlike the kind Penders himself has), she was pretty much an utterly cliched example of a domestic homemaker who contributed nothing to the plot. While I am obligated to say there is nothing wrong with being a homemaker, everything about this was out of left field and unnatural feeling, and came despite assurances from Penders otherwise. 

I suspect that his claim of redesigning her to 'not look like a party girl' and making her a doctor was done in response to the criticism the 25YL arc had over how little Julie did and how little say she had in that story, but Penders being Penders, he hasn't really addressed the core of the issue. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

On 15.9.2017 at 5:04 AM, horridus said:

Right here-

These pictures date back to 2011. The year Sonic Generations got released. 6 Years... 2011!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Teeensy weensy status update... for the App, natch.

Insert the usual comment about how it'd be nice if he'd just focus on getting the thing out on the one platform, or anything at all for that matter, before deciding to expand outwards. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

Originally it was 'Coming Soon in 2012!'

That timetable has since been scaled back to 'It's finished when its finished'. 

So likely never, by this point. I'll be legit shocked if its out before 2020. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

I legitimately think those preview pages are the entirety of what he has to show. I've run around in a lot of webcomic circles where most people spit out concept and teaser art and talk incessantly about their ideas, yet produce actual pages at such a glacial pace they might as well be doing nothing at all, and Penders I could see fitting that bill to a T.

Edit: I think for me that's what it all comes back to, the one thing that elevates Penders from "internet weirdo" to being actually kind of infuriating. It's one thing to be as smarmy and self-important at he is while drawing at a level that is genuinely disconcerting, it's a whole other to operate like that while being wholly incapable of actually putting something substantial out. Do something or quit.

• Thumbs Up 6

...wait, what? Whaaaat? You mean... he really HAS been focusing more of his time and energy on the friggin prelude and the app than he has on the book itself? And that he will start ACTUALLY focusing his attention on the actual *product* once the other stuff is completed?

You know, I kinda suspected, but seeing it confirmed like this is still kind of shocking. I mean holy God. Plan the release first, work on the book later. It's... incredible. Jaw dropping, even. 

• Thumbs Up 5

22 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Wow... just wow.

Yeah, that sums it up pretty nicely. This man goes on and on about how much of professional he is and about his 'business insight', when he's focusing the bulk of his efforts on things that should only matter once he has a *finished* book to release. It defies all common sense and logic. 

• Thumbs Up 4

It's really baffling because I'm pretty sure he's a professional writer and artist who actually managed monthly deadlines for several years. So I would've thought that would be the bit he'd get stuck into…

• Thumbs Up 7

1 minute ago, DoubleXXCross said:

It's really baffling because I'm pretty sure he's a professional writer and artist who actually managed monthly deadlines for several years. So I would've thought that would be the bit he'd get stuck into…

Not exactly. If you've managed to read the hundreds of pages this has stretched on for, you'd know that Penders was known for having difficulty finishing his work according to deadlines, a problem that only worsened when he worked for Archie because his editor wasn't doing their job and pretty much leaving him with far more freedom than he knew how to use effectively. This pretty much bled into his current work ethic (or lack of) where he's spent over 5 years rambling about doing things while doing jackshit.

• Thumbs Up 4

Kind of sad actually come to think of it. I hope he manages to get something done sooner or later. Though I think it won't really work in the way he thinks, but then again I have no Idea about how he stresses over things...

49 minutes ago, horridus said:

...wait, what? Whaaaat? You mean... he really HAS been focusing more of his time and energy on the friggin prelude and the app than he has on the book itself?

I would suspect no because I don't think he's actually put really any work in this at all so much as he's thought about it a lot while pissing into the abyss.

• Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, DoubleXXCross said:

Oh boy, it's just the opposite actually- working for Archie actively damaged his work ethic and abilities as a writer. He's admitted several times that Archie would publish stuff on time regardless of how complete it was, and for a long stretch of his career he could pretty much do whatever, and no matter how bad his work got it always sold thanks to the Sonic connection. He was in a very unusual situation that allowed him to flourish, and since that time he's pretty much demonstrated that the only thing that gave him a career was Archie's lack of oversight and real standards. Heck, he LEFT the job because he had to deal with an editor who expected better from him and told him to make more of an effort when it came to incorporating game stuff. 

• Thumbs Up 8