Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

So okay a few things. 1: I love he straight up confirmed that Geoff never really cared about Sally and only wanted to have sex with an underage Princess. 2: Geoff is literally just James Bond's Fursona. 3: Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Kintobor a trademark of Sega's? I mean the Kintobor origin story was created by Sega of America, right? Or is this falling under Ken's bullshit "They aren't using Mobius anymore" rule? 4: I love how this makes it sound like the series supposedly focused on Lara-Su is going to focus on literally anyone else.

Oh, man there's so much bad here.

• Thumbs Up 6

35 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

3: Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Kintobor a trademark of Sega's? I mean the Kintobor origin story was created by Sega of America, right? Or is this falling under Ken's bullshit "They aren't using Mobius anymore" rule?

I believe since that's kinda an old origin story, Sega doesn't really consider it worth copyrighting, nor do they really care about the Kintobor thing. I think it was first introduced in either an American or UK Sonic comic first, wasn't it?

So basically, in a nutshell, it confirms that St John was nothing more than a pervert piece of shit that only wanted sex with Sally, who is underage by the way, for shits and giggles, and basically tries to rip off any and all characters from Sonic that he can. 

Oh right I forgot. He "brought value to them" so that totally fixes any and all copyright issues. I forgot though, guess that means Ken's characters all belong to Ian, Archie, and SEGA, since his characters had fuck all value to anyone before Ian came along.

tumblr_md04a62TRj1rozj9j.gif

• Thumbs Up 6

Ehhhh, I'd be more surprised by how Geoffrey St. John is nothing but a flirtatious secret agent of Gary-Stu levels, if I didn't know already that that's how Penders has always written him. I've reviewed Issue #31, which is the one of the few so far I've seen him write with this character in it, and I can say for sure that the data file is basically how he was like in that issue alone.

No character development, no flaws whatsoever, and no character traits over than his always-smug and "perfect" personality...taken seriously.

• Thumbs Up 3

Really the whole thing with Sally being one of his *Ugh* Conquests is basicallyy just because James Bond treated Women as objects to rest his genitals so might as well make Geoffrey go full Bond now that there's no pesky Sega saying not to.

3 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Really the whole thing with Sally being one of his *Ugh* Conquests is basicallyy just because James Bond treated Women as objects to rest his genitals so might as well make Geoffrey go full Bond now that there's no pesky Sega saying not to.

Yep. This is truly a feminist series by a feminist. There's just so much feminism in his work that I'm growing a uterus. It's truly a forward thing in the depiction of fictional women to put focus on a man who lusts after a teenager whom he is meant to be subordinate too and treat her as a notch on his belt. SOMEBODY CALL THE PRESSES, WE GOT THE NEXT JOSS WHEDON HERE! 

• Thumbs Up 6

15 hours ago, Tenko said:

Ok, Izuka isn't brilliant, and there's plenty he could do to fix the franchise, but he is a damn sight better than what would become Sonic the Teenage Drama Hog under Penders writing and care. His art, writing and general understanding of the characters is a lot worse than what Izuka has ever given us, and that's saying something considering some of the hits the franchise has taken while Izuka has been in charge.

You mean the guy who left hundreds of great characters in a copyright limbo, killed the handheld games just because SRA and Rivals 2 underperformed, killed the Storybooks just because SBK underperformed, killed the fucking classics because E2 underperformed, greenlit the awful physics shitstorm of the first episode, hired Pontaff, ruined the main series completely with Lost World, destroyed Sonic's character,  nearly killed a company, greenlit the Comedy Chimp chronicles, and approved the franchise-killing Rise of Lyric?

Compared to those, Penders did nothing wront.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would love to see someone ask Penders how making Sally one of Geoff's "Conquests", is storytelling of a feminist.  Seriously, how the hell's he going to dig himself out of that kind of hole?  Actually, I'm being stupid.  Of course he'll figure out some way to defend himself, because the man will never apologise for anything, no matter how blatantly wrong he really is. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, The Very First Miru to Me said:

You mean the guy who left hundreds of great characters in a copyright limbo, killed the handheld games just because SRA and Rivals 2 underperformed, killed the Storybooks just because SBK underperformed, killed the fucking classics because E2 underperformed, greenlit the awful physics shitstorm of the first episode, hired Pontaff, ruined the main series completely with Lost World, greenlit the Comedy Chimp chronicles, and approved the franchise-killing Rise of Lyric?

Compared to those, Penders did nothing wront.

Most of these things are over Iizuka's head, though. And I don't understand how handheld games were killed when we had Colors DS, Generations 3DS, and Lost World 3DS for the main series alone. SEGA has prioritized mobile games, recently, sure, but I'd hardly say the handheld games are "dead" when there just isn't anything going on with the main games right now.

Certain types of games underperforming basically tells SEGA, the company, that they aren't worth investing the resources in to produce. Iizuka has made his fair share of bad decisions and even done some really stupid things (the script for Shadow the Hedgehog immediately comes to mind), but I don't think he has as a big hand in business decisions as you're making him out to have. Hiring Pontaff is strictly a SEGA of America decision--the writing on the Japanese side is Sonic Team's problem, and they have a big mess to clean up there, but I wouldn't blame Iizuka for the awful localizations Pontaff are doing. Boom is entirely SoA's effort with SoJ's blessing, since it's treated separately from the main brand, for example. Iizuka/Sonic Team might have had some approvals, and even created Sticks, but it never seemed like they cared about it.

I'm not sure I follow the "left hundreds of great characters in a copyright limbo" though. They still own Mighty, Ray, and whoever else hasn't seen the light of day in a game in years, they're just not using them. If you're referring to the comic characters, they're a separate problem, one created by Archie themselves because they didn't keep track of the paperwork.

Maybe get your facts straight before blaming one guy who happens to work for a company that made decisions that you don't agree with.

• Thumbs Up 1

We need to create a petition for the purpose, to achieve the strict prohibition of the sale of this book horrible by any means for any money. And those idiots who come to mind to sell the book in their store - sentenced to 20 years in prison.

"NUMBER OF CONFIRMED KILLS:

CLASSIFIED"

lol watch out, we got a badass over here!

ow_the_edge.png

(thanks retro)

His writing and artistic skills still seem to be in moribund town. I really can't help but think he's genuinely taking the mickey and that he's not actually making a comic, just sitting on the rights to his characters and pushing out stuff like this all because he technically legally can.

• Thumbs Up 7

4 minutes ago, Supt. Gabe said:

ow_the_edge.png

Oh pissing blimey is looks even worse up-close

4 minutes ago, Supt. Gabe said:

I really can't help but think he's genuinely taking the mickey and that he's not actually making a comic, just sitting on the rights to his characters and pushing out stuff like this all because he technically legally can.

Well, he has been showing Adamis bits for French translation, so there is stuff from months ago that we haven't seen.  Plus, even though I definitely can't call his work good, he does seem to be really interested in actually finishing it.  Granted, he also seems to be really interested in finishing The Lost Ones, which has been in pre-production for roughly six or seven years now...

1 hour ago, Mecha X said:

We need to create a petition for the purpose, to achieve the strict prohibition of the sale of this book horrible by any means for any money. And those idiots who come to mind to sell the book in their store - sentenced to 20 years in prison.

Indeed, a fascist regime and revocation of first amendment rights is just what we need in response to a book that may never even come out. Any other forms of totalitarianism we should usher in while we're at it?

Heck, we're even talking about it -- maybe we should all be chained up and receive 50 lashes?

Seriously, this is all manner of wrong.

Actually, you know what the craziest thing about this is?

It sounds just like something the original pre-reboot Dr. Robotnik would suggest.

• Thumbs Up 3

I wish I had a more interesting reaction to this, but there's just not a lot to say that hasn't been said about stuff posted by Penders in the past. The artwork is very poor, he's still keeping his stuff as connected as possible with the old Sonic comics (ugh, I just want him to leave that poor hedgehog and his franchise alone), and the profile description itself is boring beyond belief (I couldn't even be bothered to read it all). What else is new? Even the "blue Erinaceidae" doesn't surprise me, though it is hilarious.

9 minutes ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Indeed, a fascist regime and revocation of first amendment rights is just what we need in response to a book that may never even come out. Any other forms of totalitarianism we should usher in while we're at it?

Heck, we're even talking about it -- maybe we should all be chained up and receive 50 lashes?

If a moderator has already scolded someone for a post, it's generally for the best that it's just left alone and not responded to further.

• Thumbs Up 7

Sorry, it looks like some posts came up when I was making my response.

(Wow, looking back, I guess I left it open when I was doing something else. Again, sorry about that.)

• Thumbs Up 1

His response to the critique that a lot of people won't know what a Stone measurement is, is per the norm, ironically laughable.

He says he chose it because it was  the most universal. That at one point most of the world used it.

What he seems unable to take into account however, is that the last two generations, one generation of which are now todays adults, never used this system at all. Stone has been replaced with Kilogram and taught as the universal standard since the 1960's everywhere except the greater USA and a few others like Liberia and Myanmar. The rest of the world, which greatly outweighs the population of the USA, has been using Metric's for the last 55 or so years.

If he plans to market this worldwide as the translations suggest, and he isnt planning to market this to over 50's, then he is going too have to make a little tweek to his weights and heights etc via his translators or localization crew.

Granted its a little nitpick,  but it's really his constant up talk for his home country and the little put down jabs at the rest of the world that have irked me. Like when he was implying they should only aim the Sonic movie at American audiences, as the home country of the franchise and the rest of the world didn't matter as much in viewer numbers per population etc. Apparently Asia doesn't exist in his version of the world >.<;

• Thumbs Up 9

18 minutes ago, Tenko said:

His response to the critique that a lot of people won't know what a Stone measurement is, is per the norm, ironically laughable.

He says he chose it because it was  the most universal. That at one point most of the world used it.

What he seems unable to take into account however, is that the last two generations, one generation of which are now todays adults, never used this system at all. Stone has been replaced with Kilogram and taught as the universal standard since the 1960's everywhere except the greater USA and a few others like Liberia and Myanmar. The rest of the world, which greatly outweighs the population of the USA, has been using Metric's for the last 55 or so years.

If he plans to market this worldwide as the translations suggest, and he isnt planning to market this to over 50's, then he is going too have to make a little tweek to his weights and heights etc via his translators or localization crew.

Granted its a little nitpick,  but it's really his constant up talk for his home country and the little put down jabs at the rest of the world that have irked me. Like when he was implying they should only aim the Sonic movie at American audiences, as the home country of the franchise and the rest of the world didn't matter as much in viewer numbers per population etc. Apparently Asia doesn't exist in his version of the world >.<;

Speaking as an American here, I've never ever *ever* heard 'stone' used beyond weighing farm animals. Don't ask me why, I do not know the mind of farmers, but all I can tell you is that we use 'inches', 'feet', 'pounds' and 'miles'. Stone and Mark are both incredibly archaic terms not commonly used outside of a specific profession around here. His claim of it being 'universal' are even more laughable given that it's pretty much a subset of a subset. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think Ken gets that people are trying to point out that this bio and it's enormous skills list makes Geoffrey look way too perfect.  Flawless-seeming characters with an overabundance of positive qualities are just unrealistic and unrelatable.

• Thumbs Up 4

No kidding. It'd be reasonably easy to get the point accross without listing every little thing and making him come off as... well, the warped wish-fulfillment character that he is. 

Like, howabout: 

"Geoffrey St. John is a talented and experianced spy with expertise in combat and sabotage, demonstrating a particular affinity for crossbows. Quick thinking and resourceful, St. John's mind is his greatest asset against the enemies of the Kingdom."

Whaddya think, folks?

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm back after another hiatus, and, honestly, I'm surprised that Ken actually did something by releasing Geoffrey's bio.

And it is as bad as I expected. Ugh.

This just makes me think that, in addition to wanting reprint rights and the cash that'd come with it, the real reason Pen wants to buy out the old creators' copyrights is because, literally, he was too lazy to try to rewrite history without them.

And would someone, for the love of all that's good, please tell me if they're still supposed to be aliens or not, if Ech'chyd,nya is actually still a thing or what.

• Thumbs Up 5

3 minutes ago, biznizz said:

And would someone, for the love of all that's good, please tell me if they're still supposed to be aliens or not, if Ech'chyd,nya is actually still a thing or what.

They're still aliens. It's just that while Echidna get Klingon apostrophes, everybody else it seems gets the latin taxonimical denominations used in biology. Because you know, that's how 'Hard Science Fiction' works. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Oh my fish! What the hell keeps happening to Michael Taylors' FACE? Jeez Louise it's not that hard to keep as some what consistent face. Gross...

• Thumbs Up 1