Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Not to mention, for a while, even being the only regular writer on the thing.

I'd say for Ian, it worked out better than even he could have hoped. With Penders, it turned out a lot worse.

That's because Penders thought he was really sticking it to Sega and Archie, that the comic was more or less done for without him writing it and he likely thought if he threw enough of a tantrum, that Sega and Archie would be forced to back down and allow him total free reign of the comic and the characters. What he didn't know was Sega likely consider the comic a very very small blimp on their radar and would have no problem ending it there and then, and the fact that they were just gonna get a new writer if he screwed his job up.

In other words, he likely screwed himself over when the editor began doing their job and he attempted to force Sega and Archie to do as he wishes. It really was great for the comic as it got a good writer and Penders got comeuppance for his over bloated ego, losing the only full on writer job he had because he couldn't stand even the slightest changes to his stories.

• Thumbs Up 7

In other words, he likely screwed himself over when the editor began doing their job and he attempted to force Sega and Archie to do as he wishes. It really was great for the comic as it got a good writer and Penders got comeuppance for his over bloated ego, losing the only full on writer job he had because he couldn't stand even the slightest changes to his stories.

The funny thing is, because of Gabrie's nonchalant attitude toward his job and the creative team, I don't think SEGA really cared what was going on in the comic. I believe there was an interview with Spaz, Butler, and Penders where the latter mentioned there was a point where SEGA hardly even looked at the comic, and then later on when Penders was the main writer again, they were scrutinizing it more. I'm betting this coincides when Pellerito took over, since he was the one who pushed for the book to utilize the game cast more (including making Shadow a king in the Future Mobius timeline) be more up to date with the brand.

The moment Pellerito came onto the scene was the moment Penders's days were numbered.

EDIT: Here's that interview: http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/?p=41452

Edited by Zaysho

Ironically, though, he did get back at SEGA and Archie with the whole lawsuit. Archie having to pour money into it, then getting his characters back, making Archie and SEGA paranoid with other former creators and deciding to ban their material from the comic along with Penders stuff. In the end, it was a financial and legal headache for both companies and we fans had to suffer the results of the case. So, Penders may not be where he wants to be, the legal victory is probably all that he wants and is willing to accept at this point.

Well, he got back at Archie, anyways. I doubt Sega even cares about the comic-exclusive cast.

It did almost cost Archie the license, though, if I'm not mistaken.

Remember that concern about Geoffrey being 21 and Sally being 14-15 from the Thanks, Ken Penders blog but there was never official proof?

Penders confirmed it.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/587282337999691778

That's right. He knowingly paired a 15 year old with a 21 year old in the comic. Penders, you idiot.

Remember that concern about Geoffrey being 21 and Sally being 14-15 from the Thanks, Ken Penders blog but there was never official proof?

Penders confirmed it.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/587282337999691778

That's right. He knowingly paired a 15 year old with a 21 year old in the comic. Penders, you idiot.

This is why I think that the specific ages of anthros should be kept ambiguous. At most, their age should be only described in broader terms (like "kid", "teenager", "adult", etc.). Because their ages might not work in the same way as humans, which may cause confusion.

But this assumes that there is some thought put into the writing, however by now it pretty much became clear that Ken did not plan stuff and was just making up things as he went along...

• Thumbs Up 4

This bit...this bit right here

Penders: It’s a lot easier to work on a title like Sonic after you’ve established to the editor, the publishers and the licensors, in this case Sega, that you’re not going to turn in material that presents the property in a damaging way. When I first submitted stories to Archie, it was pretty much like working on other licensed properties like Star Trek or The Green Hornet for other publishers. That is, you submit your script or artwork for approval and only after the licensor approves it does it have a shot of being published. If they’re unhappy with something, changes are requested that must then be made before the work can be published. Having worked on
Sonic for so long, I pretty much know what will sail through without any problems, thus keeping everyone happy.

So this basically explains why Penders was permitted to do such asinine things during his run such as shamelessly plagiarizing that Holocaust poem by Niemoller - He wormed around SEGA claiming he wouldn't pull-off any BS and used that liberty to do whatever the fuck he wanted.

Oh, and another sparkler;

Penders: ...1) we treat the characters with respect, 2) we’re constantly looking to improve and explore new aspects of the characters and 3) we always work to appeal to the broadest audience possible...

Pffft...hahaha!

Keep deluding yourself Penders.

• Thumbs Up 6

This is why I think that the specific ages of anthros should be kept ambiguous. At most, their age should be only described in broader terms (like "kid", "teenager", "adult", etc.). Because their ages might not work in the same way as humans, which may cause confusion.

That approach doesn't really work in a series where characters have had specified ages since 1994, though.

Was looking back through the numerous pics Ken posted on his Twitter and I found...whatever the fuck this is:

I1gTJgG.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

What the fuck are Sonic's legs even doing in that picture...?

Also... Basketball. Right. That's not Sonic-y at all. What the heck.

Oh, that's a bit of old news. But if you think THAT cover/story proposal was bad, you'll freaking lose it at seeing the OJ Simpson trial parody proposal.

Absolutely tasteless and disgusting.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, that's a bit of old news. But if you think THAT cover/story proposal was bad, you'll freaking lose it at seeing the OJ Simpson trial parody proposal.

Absolutely tasteless and disgusting.

Yeah. Stuff like that, combined with things like his theft of the holocaust poem and finding nothing at all wrong with a twenty-one year lusting after a fifteen year old, makes me wonder what goes on in his head that he cannot find anything innapropriate about his actions or what he does. In the case of the OJ trial and the poem, he almost seems innured to the feelings of others with regards to those events. I just don't get it. I dont get *him*.

The day we get him is the day we see pigs flying becoming a normal sight.

We have a dead cat helicopter. Does that count?

So, anything new on the Pen front about his copyright-infringing nightmare fuel or his inane Twitter feed? I kinda want to keep the conversation going, so we can get back our 200+ pages. So many good comments we lost.

So, anything new on the Pen front about his copyright-infringing nightmare fuel or his inane Twitter feed? I kinda want to keep the conversation going, so we can get back our 200+ pages. So many good comments we lost.

Ask, and ye shall receive. 

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/587713951518994432

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/587714089633193984

When asked about if the Lara-Su comic was gonna be CGI, he went off about 'laying the groundwork for the AP'... despite not even having the prequel comic out. 

Also, more tales of 20 Years Later as we are introduced to more prototype pages for the story that never was. 

zMaCWD2.png

Behold! Knuckles getting dressed! Riveting Action in THE FUTURE! 

• Thumbs Up 9

And then, the art is still pretty bad, even for Knuckles just getting dressed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, someone has suggested that the Sonic and Image crossover contains a Bill Clinton oral sex joke.

I would not get it as I am not so read up on American history.

• Thumbs Up 2

Also, someone has suggested that the Sonic and Image crossover contains a Bill Clinton oral sex joke.

I would not get it as I am not so read up on American history.

The closest I can find upon quickly flipping open my copy is Sculder saying "I hate to sound like some White House flunky--But I haven't any recollection!" (emphasis Penders's) when Particle knocks him and Mully out and he's asked where Particle went. That could be similar to Clinton saying he doesn't recall being alone with Lewinsky. It probably wouldn't be, or at least be less overt, if Penders didn't include "White House flunky," but the man's not known for subtlety.

Admittedly, it sailed over my head when I read the story (I was also fighting to stay awake because SSS#7 is just really fucking boring) until I saw this particular post, but after the OJ Simpson spoof pitch, I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case.

EDIT: It could be reference to something else the more I think about it. Or just Penders poking at corruption in politics. Someone more versed in this stuff could probably pin it down.

Edited by Zaysho

More then likely it's just him making a generic dig at politics in general. While there IS room for it to be seen as 'commentary' on the Monica Lewinsky scandal, and I really wouldn't put it past Penders given his obsession with being 'relevant', I would just file this one under unsubtle generic commentary. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Huh, besides the weird looking shading in that 20 Years Later drawing, it doesn't look that bad. I mean, Knuckles is actually well proportioned and doesn't have weird knobbly knees like he did during the Green Knuckles saga. S'okay.

• Thumbs Up 1

Huh, besides the weird looking shading in that 20 Years Later drawing, it doesn't look that bad. I mean, Knuckles is actually well proportioned and doesn't have weird knobbly knees like he did during the Green Knuckles saga. S'okay.

Yeah. Cept for the likelohood that all those backgrounds would probably be solid colors. 

That said though, it kinda just goes to show how *badly* he's degraded since that time, artwise.

Yeah. Cept for the likelohood that all those backgrounds would probably be solid colors. 

That said though, it kinda just goes to show how *badly* he's degraded since that time, artwise.

Or worse...photographic backgrounds. *shudder*

But yeah there seems to have been a point where his artwork was actually passable, but then it got worse and worse once Sonic got his modern look.

Or worse...photographic backgrounds. *shudder*

But yeah there seems to have been a point where his artwork was actually passable, but then it got worse and worse once Sonic got his modern look.

Doesn't help that his attempt to make the 'echyd'nya' realistic only combined the worst of his humans and anthros, and then proceeded to plunge headfirst into the uncanny valley. 

The close-ups aren't bad (particularly the one of his face on the bottom), but when he shows more of Knuckles, it gets pretty ugly IMO.

When Penders isn't not doing horrible Photoshop shading, he "shades" using these weird lines that don't make any sense. It bothers me. Other hallmarks of badness include over-exaggerated eyebrow ridges, knobby kneecaps (not as pronounced as it sometimes is, but still visible), and lower lips that look just plain bad on Sonic characters. Knuckles' muzzle is also pretty big and bad-looking. It's for these reasons and more that the "rough sketch" actually looks better than the final product in some ways...

Yukk. I'm glad Penders will never be able to "officially" draw Knuckles ever again. His really early work on Knuckles was fine*, but when he tries to add "details", I don't care for it at all. Maybe I'm a little extra sensitive because I'm a huge Knuckles fan.

But perhaps no one suffers more from Penders' drawings as much as Tails...

PendersTailsYukk_zpsrr8f2wwx.jpg

Dat combover. (And face in general.)

*See below:

PendersOkayKnuckles_zpszy8btlbm.jpg