Awoo.

Rey Skywalker-Ren

Ironically, having Tails do less would have been the better move.

If it meant that the game wasn't designed around arbitrary, unfun and forced gimmick moves, then I absolutely agree. 

• Thumbs Up 2

What I want to know is, why is Tails a multiplayer-exclusive playable to begin with? Did they think they could have their cake with the "Sonic-Only" crowd and eat it, too?

Ironically, having Tails do less would have been the better move.

They should have allowed you to play as Tails solo.

• Thumbs Up 2

They didn't do that because Tails can literally do everything Sonic can do, except open the little warp-machine-things in Sky Fortress 3. HA areas he can fly over (or jump bounce off of the enemies), and snow in White Park requires the combo spindash. Basically, S4E2 doesn't need Sonic. Tails can just do it all himself.

Just try it. Boot up a local co-op game in E2 and just control Tails.

Because Tails can literally do everything Sonic can do, except open the little warp-machine-things in Sky Fortress 3. HA areas he can fly over (or jump bounce off of the enemies), and snow in White Park requires the combo spindash. Basically, S4E2 doesn't need Sonic. Tails can just do it all himself.

Just try it. Boot up a local co-op game in E2 and just control Tails.

So, they were too lazy to bother with learning to character balance to not make Sonic look so meh in comparison. Okay.

So, they were too lazy to bother with learning to character balance to not make Sonic look so meh in comparison. Okay.

More or less. I mean, they had the issue in S3K, but it's not something they couldn't have really fixed big time in S4.

We understand your stance a little better now, don't worry about it. Please just be careful with your wording. I understand there may be a language barrier as well, so I guess that may account for a lot of stuff.

Just keep in mind the situation you've put yourself in. First of all, and this has been said to you many times by pretty much all of us in both the threads and the status updates, it is perfectly fine for you to like and enjoy Sonic 4 over the other 2D Sonic games, even the original ones on the Genesis. That should not be an issue in any way, and I want you to know that of all Sonic-related forums on the Internet, over here we take greater care in respecting each other's opinions. We even appreciate that you realize that most of us here do not like Sonic 4 the way you do, and that should be fine as well. There are no hang-ups regarding this, so this shouldn't be an issue.

Which Im sorry for not expressing myself right. And Im also sorry for taking it personally. I did because I say I like Sonic 4 on Sega and people say that people like me are the reason we have bad Sonic games. And I cant even say I hate the Advance games without someone attacking my skills and calling me spoiled.  So i thought you guys were doing the same when you got angry when I didnt like the classic games. but i was a misunderstanding on my part and Im very sorry.

I hope you can forgive me.

No harm done! People saying that fans like you are the reason we have sub-par Sonic games are only kidding themselves. The fault ultimately lies with the developers and directors, not the consumers.

You're totally fine.

This game, particularly episode 1, embodies a certain failing that most newer Sonic games share in a very pure sense, that the controls lack a level of fluency that this sort of game needs. When you aren't playing it in the way the designers seem to have intended, namely a very homing attack and spin dash dependent style, there's no life to them, they're very sluggish that leaves you relying on the new moves (really the spin dash as seen here is basically a new move), it's not a fluent style, your character is jerking around propelled by parts of the level and whatever unseen force causes the homing attack.

They also share the same problem as every other recent 2D Sonic game, no sense of place. This issue actually started showing up as early as Sonic 3's less savory levels in fact, a complete lack of any sense of place within the levels. How parts of levels are laid out has no bearing on where they are in that level. Flying battery zone is an example of this done well, low in the level you actually traverse structures on the underside, high in the level you can actually get on the roof. That sort of logic has gone missing. Not every level needs it (Labyrinth Zone comes to mind) but many types can benefit from it.

• Thumbs Up 4

This game, particularly episode 1, embodies a certain failing that most newer Sonic games share in a very pure sense, that the controls lack a level of fluency that this sort of game needs. When you aren't playing it in the way the designers seem to have intended, namely a very homing attack and spin dash dependent style, there's no life to them, they're very sluggish that leaves you relying on the new moves (really the spin dash as seen here is basically a new move), it's not a fluent style, your character is jerking around propelled by parts of the level and whatever unseen force causes the homing attack.

They also share the same problem as every other recent 2D Sonic game, no sense of place. This issue actually started showing up as early as Sonic 3's less savory levels in fact, a complete lack of any sense of place within the levels. How parts of levels are laid out has no bearing on where they are in that level. Flying battery zone is an example of this done well, low in the level you actually traverse structures on the underside, high in the level you can actually get on the roof. That sort of logic has gone missing. Not every level needs it (Labyrinth Zone comes to mind) but many types can benefit from it.

This "sense of place" is something I've really started to miss in the 3D games as well. Regardless of the actual quality of their gameplay, I always felt appreciation for the level design in Sonic Adventure and Sonic Unleashed. I felt both really nailed the level design in this regard.

More or less. I mean, they had the issue in S3K, but it's not something they couldn't have really fixed big time in S4.

I'm pretty sure it's also because having Tails playable solo would essentially require designing levels suited around his abilities (namely more expansive level design), which judging their work seems to go against their MO on having level design that isn't expansive or automated as well as making game mechanics that did not dictate how the game would be designed. Making him a compulsory co-op character was not only the easier route, but would also keep him on a leash so he was in bounds of their game design philosophies.

With the knowledge of Episode I's gameplay and level design essentially being designed around the use of the Homing Attack, I recall speculation back at the Sega Forums on how Dimps would implement Tails in the second episode. Some were speculating that they would give him the Homing Attack like. Others were Sonic and Tails to be separately playable, but without the co-op. Nobody was speculating for him to be implemented as as a mandatory co-op character until the screenshots were released, and most people that did consider the idea around that time immediately discredited it as completely absurd.

This lack of fluency is practically what I was trying to say above regarding Tails and Episode II. Tails made playable with his flying abilities intact in Sonic 4, without some sort of trade-off, would transcend how Dimps designs their games and how they want people to play their games. ST/Dimps decided that trade off would be the ability to play the character by himself, so he was chained down to Sonic as a compulsory co-op character.

No harm done! People saying that fans like you are the reason we have sub-par Sonic games are only kidding themselves. The fault ultimately lies with the developers and directors, not the consumers.

You're totally fine.

Can I (in the right way) explain why I dont like the classic games like this one?

I'm actually kind of curious on how you dislike the Classics, so please do!

I'm actually kind of curious on how you dislike the Classics, so please do!

Its the feel of them. I play Sonic 4 for my first 2D Sonic game and then I play Sonic Colors DS and Sonic Rush games and then I play the old games. For examples:

v053Y9n.jpg

i had some trouble getting up the slopes in all 3 games if they were to up wards. and it was a pain to bo back and try to run a full speeds so i can get up the slopes. This was the big thing with the Advance games and loops and slopes. Its like even if i run at the full speeds i cant get up those things without spindashing or if I was Amy I was stuck until I go back. Im not a unskilled Sonic player. I can do this no problem in Sonic 4, Sonic Rush and Sonic Colors DS. I can get up those things just fine.

pqpTBHH.jpg

The water levels in the old games drag. Im usually good with water levels. I like water levels... especially from Sonic 4 and Sonic Colors (3D) but the old games dont have the same water speeds at those games. I just drag and I had trouble jumping in aome parts.

I will say, I think the spindash from Sonic 2 3 and Knuckles, 4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> spindash from Sonic Advance. God, that was horrible. if they make the spindash useless why put it there?? this is my opinion only.

this is all my opinion only its nt fact.

Its the feel of them. I play Sonic 4 for my first 2D Sonic game and then I play Sonic Colors DS and Sonic Rush games and then I play the old games. For examples:

v053Y9n.jpg

i had some trouble getting up the slopes in all 3 games if they were to up wards. and it was a pain to bo back and try to run a full speeds so i can get up the slopes. This was the big thing with the Advance games and loops and slopes. Its like even if i run at the full speeds i cant get up those things without spindashing or if I was Amy I was stuck until I go back. Im not a unskilled Sonic player. I can do this no problem in Sonic 4, Sonic Rush and Sonic Colors DS. I can get up those things just fine.

pqpTBHH.jpg

The water levels in the old games drag. Im usually good with water levels. I like water levels... especially from Sonic 4 and Sonic Colors (3D) but the old games dont have the same water speeds at those games. I just drag and I had trouble jumping in aome parts.

I will say, I think the spindash from Sonic 2 3 and Knuckles, 4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> spindash from Sonic Advance. God, that was horrible. if they make the spindash useless why put it there?? this is my opinion only.

this is all my opinion only its nt fact.

Yeah, it is quite difficult to maintain speed in Sonic 1 but that's where the rolling physics come in. Having trouble going up a slope? Roll around to get around it. That's why a lot of people likes the rolling physics. It's the next best thing to the spindash. All water levels in the classic games were pretty slow-paced except Hydrocity, and it makes ense since Sonic and water don't really mix. The spindash from Sonic 4 is arguably more useless than the spindash from Advance since you just jump dash to achieve max speed but I digress.

• Thumbs Up 1

its hard to get speeds in all the games Sonic 1 2 3 and Knuckles. its good in Sonic 2 but the others is very hard to even get up a slope. Same with the Advance games but their pacing was the slowest in my opinion

Again, it's a great feeling when you overcome that obstacle with the rolling physics. 4 doesn't give you that pleasure since you can already achieve max speed by jump dashing. I prefer having some sort of difficulty in a sonic game, that's my problem with the recent games like Generations. They're way too easy to beat and 100%, I want to be challenged to complete a game and when I do, it gives off a strong feeling.

*claps*

What a beautifully made post you have made, Indigo! You pretty much said everything anybody was going to say about the matter! Sonic may be about speed but that is only the tip of the iceberg for the overall experience. If you can understand this, Sonikku! You can truly appreciate the classics!

• Thumbs Up 1

Haha, I didn't even touch on the sense of exploration. tongue.png

I like to break it down like this:

Sonic 1 focuses on platforming.

-Not a lot of speed sections and a few more platforming sections in comparison to later games

Sonic 2 focuses on speed.

-Lots of speed sections and fewer platforming sections in comparison to earlier and succeeding games

Sonic CD focuses on exploration.

-Fairly balanced speed and platforming sections, but heavily focused on finding time warp posts and robot generators

Sonic 3 & Knuckles has a perfect balance of all 3

-Equal and complimentary balance between speed and platforming, and lots of added benefits for playing as other characters or seeking out the hidden Warp Rings

All games incorporate speed, platforming and exploration into their level design and maintain the gameplay philosophies I mentioned earlier. Speed through reward and skill, platforming through timing your jumps and complimenting your speed, and exploration through finding alternate paths and hidden secrets, some of which also require speed and careful platforming to access. 

The sense of exploration was made equal with speed and platforming with Sonic 3 & Knuckles with the addition of extra characters and by hiding the Warp Rings in certain areas of the levels, some of which you can only access by playing as another character. There's a whole new dynamic when it comes to playing as other characters as well, as they have their alleged strengths and weaknesses. Best part is, half the time it's optional if you'd rather just blaze through the game straight forward.

tl;dr: Sonic 3 & Knuckles perfectly demonstrates everything I mentioned in my previous post, as well as emphasizing the essential element of exploration without compromising speed and platforming.

tl;dr2: Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the perfect Classic Sonic game.

tl;dr3: Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the perfect Sonic game.

tl;dr4: Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the perfect game.

:P

• Thumbs Up 5

I liked Sonic 4. Both episodes, though I never played Episode Metal, since I had the WiiWare version of Ep. I, since I was under the mistaken assumption that Ep. II would be on WiiWare as well. Not too long after getting my PS3, I ended up getting that version of Ep. II, because I wanted to play it.

I do agree they're not as good as Sonic 3 & Knuckles, though. Or Sonic CD, for that matter, but again, I felt they were good. Of course, not everyone liked them, and that's fine too.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd like to throw in that in Aquatic Ruin, if you're good enough, you can take a route that lets you skip the water completely (I've never been able to stay on that route, so I always just end up in the water anyway).

• Thumbs Up 2

I respect the classic morre now. I dont like them and I think they are dull games in my opinion. But I respect them.

I respect the classic morre now. I dont like them and I think they are dull games in my opinion. But I respect them.

Hey as long as you repect them, it's doesn't matter if you don't like them.