Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

Mayor Knuckles was a funny episode for me. I laughed at how Knuckles kept approving every law request, Sticks sleeping peacefully, and being rudely awakened by contruction was a funny moment, along with her annoyance with both Knuckles and the government. I also cracked up at the part where Eggman was wondering why the garbageman hasn't taken his trash yet, only to show that flashback with Knuckles approving the garbageman to take a vacation, along with that long pause of Knuckles asking "what could go wrong with that?". 

Eggman the Auteur was another great episode, and was probably my favorite of the 7 episodes aired recently. I loved so much from that episode, Eggman trying to make a movie, and him wanting Sonic to be part of it, only for Sonic to decline. I love how Sonic ended up joining the movie, after Amy pointed out who Eggman hired to play as Sonic.

Amy being Sonic's acting manager was also a nice touch to the episode, that was one episode where Amy wasn't being too demanding with trying to coach someone. She even had a point in this episode, she wanted to point out how all actors need a manager, and Sonic doesn't even object to that. I also liked how Amy wasn't bossy in this episode, and was instead concerned about Sonic staying safe (to Knuckles's expense though.)  Let's face it, that's the only reason Amy wanted to manage Sonic's acting, she didn't want Eggman to hurt Sonic.

The highlight of the episode for me, was Knuckles. Knuckles being Sonic's stunt double was just too funny, especially the tea party part.

I noticed how this was the first episode since Guilt Trippers (and technically Dude, Where's My Eggman) to not include Sticks. It made sense though, she really didn't have a role that would have kept the episode going. If she were in it, she just would have likely went on about Eggman's movie being an evil plot, but we've already seen Sonic and Tails question that, so Sticks really didn't have a role that would have suited her character. 

Unless it's just a placeholder, I got some bad news. It looks like when Sonic Boom returns to having Saturday Morning premieres 2 Saturdays from now, it looks like the show will still be on as early as 6:00, with no reruns on weekdays... That stinks, I was loving being able to get up and watch an hour of Sonic Boom a day, yet CN can't be bothered to at least show it for 1 or 2 episodes a weekday at a decent time? It's also a bummer that Sonic Boom will go back to it's horrible Saturday and Sunday timeslot. I really hope this 2 week streak of new episodes will give the show great views and ratings, and cause Cartoon Network to realize it would be a mistake to keep the show at a ridiculous Saturday Morning time slot.

Edited by SpongicX
  • Thumbs Up 1

It looks like tomorrow's episode will be my favorite of the French versions I've seen "A normal guy". Can't wait to see the English dubbed version!

Eh,  I didn't really care for today's episode. Felt too childish.

But my inner fanboy squealed when Eggman said 'I Hate that Hedgehog'

BTW,  I turned on the DirecTV Active Channel, which displays the top 5 most watched programs on DirecTV,  and Sonic Boom was at Number 4. I don't think Sonic Boom ever made the top 5 before.

BTW,  I turned on the DirecTV Active Channel, which displays the top 5 most watched programs on DirecTV,  and Sonic Boom was at Number 4. I don't think Sonic Boom ever made the top 5 before.

If that's true, then CN would really be foolish to return the show to a 6:00 AM Time slot on Saturday Mornings, with no more weekday reruns. CN should air new episodes of Sonic Boom at 11:00 or 12:00 on Saturdays, and show at least 30 minutes of reruns on weekdays, otherwise they're just asking for lower ratings on their network. 

For those in the UK, new episodes are being shown at 8am and repeated at 3pm. The last 3 episodes have been Double Doomsday, Fortress of Squalituide, and Sleeping Giant. 

"Eggman the Auteur" was a great episode-definitely my favorite out of the new ones so far as it had me laughing all throughout the episode with me wondering where and how Dr. Eggman's evil scheme would make itself known. I definitely wasn't expecting to be what he said it was supposed to be even if it did backfire on him. I noticed that that Sticks wasn't present in this episode. I don't see how she would of contributed to the plot any but I thought maybe I would of saw her among those viewing the film by means of a cameo appearance at the very least. That doesn't make the episode any less enjoyable though.
There was plenty of observations on my end with this episode but among those I would like to point out are the following:

kL0wOj0.jpg?2
The Enerbeam is back! Sonic and Tails use it for a showdown with Obliterator Bot :P

trjBC9p.jpg?1
Loving Dr. Eggman's beret there :) And of course the director's chair and script book has his logo on it!

5xJMXAh.jpg?1
Dave the Intern posing as Sonic...hilarious! Of course the one time Dave makes me laugh he isn't even being himself!

3wrHwhh.jpg?1
"Yeah, so?" Dr. Eggman and Sonic not only saying the same thing at the same time, but they have the same exact body language to go with it! :P

PAWXfbe.jpg?2
Sonic walking away with that big smile on his face and waving to Knuckles, who served as Sonic's stunt double! :D Definitely reminds me of that Blue Knuckles glitch:

zVwh6S0.png?1

UbF2V37.jpg?2
Tails editing Dr. Eggman's script while Sonic looks on :)

CgzvfSf.jpg?2
Make-up! Orbot and Cubot getting Dr. Eggman ready for filming the next scene! ;)

vYIZqJo.jpg?2
With all the cameras taking picture so him, Dr. Eggman is a star! :D

oM2ci2q.jpg?1
And the film brings some laughs to Knuckles, Sonic, Tails and the rest of the viewers! :D

From Dr. Eggman taking his director role super seriously to Sonic getting mad at Dave the Intern playing Sonic to Knuckles posing at Sonic's stunt double to the awesome reference of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and Dr. Robotnik's catchphrase of "I hate that hedgehog!", "Eggman the Auteur" was a really good episode with plenty to enjoy and laugh about. Looking forward to seeing what "Just a Guy" brings to the table! :P
  • Thumbs Up 2

Highlight of today's ep was definitely the random live-action shot. Wasn't expecting that.

• Thumbs Up 2

Highlight of today's ep was definitely the random live-action shot. Wasn't expecting that.

When i watched the french version i expected them to cut that out of the english version, but they didn't so kudos to them.

Just a Guy was another great episode. I loved the callback to the Eggman Unplugged episode. Someone needs to put that baby walrus on a leash, or teach that mama walrus a thing about parenting, lol.

I can imagine season 2 would have an episode where the mama walrus needs a baby sitter, and Amy volunteers. The whole episode would be about Amy keeping a careful close watch on him, only to have him suddenly disappear when Amy has her back turned for a short second. Then the episode would have Amy calling everyone up, and asking for help with finding the baby, only to have the gang running around like crazy trying to get him back.

Although it's a cliche plot, I think an episode like that in Sonic Boom could be really funny. Everyone but Amy would be clueless about looking after kids, it could give some funny scenes with Knuckles playing with the baby, or getting attacked by the baby. They could make it where the baby is scared of Sticks for some reason. It would be funny to see the baby walrus somehow end up wandering to Eggman's lair, and have Sonic question, "Oh, come on! How did he get to Eggman's lair!?" 

• Thumbs Up 1

I Liked the episode, I Kinda hated the way the townspeople acted after Mike got injured. Sonic getting angry was crazy. Thats the angriest I have ever seen Sonic in the show. BTW What is with Mike's Voice? In Chez Amy and Dude, Wheres my Eggman it was low pitched. Now it sounds a bit like Orbot kinda.

They changed it because he wasn't an actually developed or used character yet, I think they said that

That IRL Sonic....best joke of the season so far. I couldn't resist from clapping when Sonic had his angry rant either. He had every reason to be upset and after many episodes of being treated like a jerk regardless of whether it was deserved or not it was nice for Sonic to speak his mind there. It's rather unfortunate that no one apologied to Sonic for their actions though and in fact Amy tried to take credit for things at the end. No one learned anything. But the comedy more than made up for it. XD

Edited by SSF1991
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's rather unfortunate that no one apologied to Sonic for their actions though and in fact Amy tried to take credit for things at the end. No one learned anything. But the comedy more than made up for it. XD

What do you mean? the old monkey told Sonic "I guess we were wrong, you are better than us." and they showed gratitude. That's kind of an apology, admitting you were wrong and complimenting someone can count as an apology. Also, I didn't think Amy took credit for anything, all she did was mention how they felt he needed time to cool down, but we knew you'd come back. How is that taking credit, it's not like she said "You can thank me, I'm the one who told Sonic to save you guys." How was telling someone that I figured you needed some time alone to calm down, considered as taking credit for something?

Sorry if this is beating a dead horse, but I thought the writers might at least make Knuckles somewhat sympathetic since they described him as a nice guy and a nature lover, but he's just a tired gag; no-ones supposed to sympathise with him, he's supposed to deserve humiliation and pain just for being a bit dim.

What do you mean? the old monkey told Sonic "I guess we were wrong, you are better than us." and they showed gratitude. That's kind of an apology, admitting you were wrong and complimenting someone can count as an apology. Also, I didn't think Amy took credit for anything, all she did was mention how they felt he needed time to cool down, but we knew you'd come back. How is that taking credit, it's not like she said "You can thank me, I'm the one who told Sonic to save you guys." How was telling someone that I figured you needed some time alone to calm down, considered as taking credit for something?

Because that wasn't their original point. Sonic, to them, wasn't being sensitive enough. And at first, to be fair, he wasn't. Eventually the episode became less about that and more about Sonic just being unable to do anything right even it was what they wanted him to do in the first place. And then you had other characters be even more insensitive or, in the case of Amy, have an ego which felt out of character in my opnion. Amy didn't condone Knuckles for saying Sonic "opened his dumb mouth" but because he talked bad about her. In other episodes Amy probably would've at the very least given Knuckles a glare for it. She said "oh this whole time I really kept you alone because we knew you'd save the day". Even Sonic mentioned that was taking credit. Not to mention it wasn't even possible considering how quickly events played out.

No one learned anything. Nothing really got resolved and everyone was being a jerk. Nevertheless the comedy hit really home for me and it really made up for the awkward subject matter the plot took which isn't something I expect from a show like this. Still the comedy was very memorable and that I'll remember.

Edited by SSF1991
  • Thumbs Up 4

"Just a guy" was another episode that was really good. I felt bad for Sonic in this episode and I was definitely annoyed with the townspeople acted being angry and over-dramatic (Soar the Eagle's cameo included) starting off simply because of something Sonic said but that goes along with how they have been treating him throughout the show which is messed up as that is no way to treat a hero as he saved the village repeatedly! Dr. Eggman, Knuckles and Amy getting in on it as well didn't help matters. That said, I definitely could not blame Sonic for getting as angry as he did.

Additional observations/highlights for Episode 34:

mEktdEP.png?2
Team Sonic: UNITE! And of course, Knuckles had to ruin it :P

M4qvDCV.jpg?2
This pow-wow with Team Sonic wasn't the least bit pleasant. Especially with Amy's over-exaggerated criticism of Sonic

hWflxi8.jpg?2
Comedy Chimp and Fastidious Beaver join Team Sonic in Amy's Sensitivity Training Seminar! With "sensitivity hats" with cute little drawings on them! :P

W7r99dR.jpg?2
Got a group therapy session going on here! ;)

0nXJoE1.jpg?2
Group hug! :)

NLqkwK9.png?2
The show always seems to have something in these episodes that I definitely wasn't expecting...The random live-action shot has to be at the top of the list :P

8yduwHR.jpg?2
Mike's got it all wrong! That's not what you do in a battle! 

8DUcUTA.png?2
The Lightning Bolts Society: stupid and obnoxious per usual! :P

NDpuzS0.jpg?2
Nice cute catch, Sonic! :D I'm glad Lady Walrus acknowledged that her baby needed saving again as this is what, the third time (Episode 4 "Buster" and Episode 28 "Blue With Envy") this happened?

5Q2QYrP.jpg?2
Not buying Amy's nonsense, Sonic gives credit to whom it was due in not only giving it to Mike but calling him a hero as well. All with a smile from Sonic and genuine gesture with his hand on Mike's shoulder. This to me was the best moment in a really good episode.

Again "Just a Guy" was a really good episode IMO. Plenty of laughs, some surprises with Sonic's angry outburst and the live-action shot, an unlikely hero in Mike and some good and realistic (sans the short-lived quitting/retiring from being a hero part) characterization of Sonic had this being an episode I enjoyed very much. I'm definitely curious to see what "Two Good to Be True" is all about! :)

• Thumbs Up 1

After watching Episode 34. I swear, the writers of Sonic Boom are trying to make me despise these townspeople.

This episode has the exact same problem as Blue with Envy had. A new character that's introduced solely to make a idiotic plot go along. Mike acts like a oversensitive baby, and Sonic does absolutely nothing wrong, other than state the obvious. Mike is a guy. He has absolutely no powers, no skills, no abilities, and would be screwed in a battle. Sonic has every single right to tell him he's just a guy and can't go into a battle because he has nothing to defend himself with. Sonic has speed, Tails has flight, and smarts, Knuckles has strength and fighting skill, Amy has leadership skills and her hammer, and Sticks has her boomerangs and agility. Mike has absolutely none of these.

But the problem is every single character, including the townspeople, Amy, Knuckles, Sticks, Eggman, and even Tails of all characters calls him out saying what Sonic said was rude and nasty, despite the fact that it's fucking clear the only reason Sonic said that was to keep Mike out of danger. Amy is full of crap, because Sonic doesn't even say it in a bad tone or anything. He says ''You can't go to the battle, you're just a guy!''

Oh, but Amy's a whole new story. I fucking hated her here. She constantly acts big headed, never calls Knuckles or any other characters out on insulting Sonic, yet anytime they mention her group in any negative way, she gets defensive about it. She tries to steal credit from Sonic for the fight at the end of the episode, and she was just totally annoying here.

But what happens next is what really makes me hate the townspeople. After Amy's stupid lessons, Sonic decides to tell Mike he's sorry and tells him he can come to the next battle. What happens? Surprise, fucking surprise, he gets injured by Cubot. What happens? All the townspeople and Amy's group all treat Sonic like complete shit, telling him that he shouldn't have taken him to the battle, and I quote ''He's just a guy''

No. I don't fucking care if this is meant to be a joke. Seeing a character constantly be dumped on by idiots who never get their comeuppance is unbelievably annoying. It's been a growing trend ever since Don't Judge Me, that's been getting more and more out of line and this is the bottom of the barrel area with it. This is where these townspeople have officially hit Modern Spongebob territory. Congratulations Sonic Boom, you've managed to this area in less than a freaking year. 

And no, the townspeoples' ''apology'' doesn't redeem them either. They've clearly haven't learned their lesson, especially when they tell the lighting bolts that they're just people, and the second The Lighting Bugs tell them ''Why don't you try it?'', the townspeople go right back to their normal bullshit present in the rest of the episode.

That's not to mention the fact Mike is just then randomly shoved into the ending so he can tell Sonic to look out, and then Sonic wins. Then they try to claim Mike deserves credit because he randomly appeared and said ''Sonic look out!'' (If characters could gain heroic credit for that, then every character in Generations must be a superhero because they say ''SONIC! THAT LOOKS LIKE A HOMING MISSILE!'')

The worse thing about it is, if they hadn't been there, I would have at least called this episode decent. There is some laughs (The live action shot's been mentioned already for example) but these townspeople make me hate them so much, that this episode goes straight into the bottom of the barrel alongside Buster, and Blue with Envy.

Edited by Ryannumber1gamer
  • Thumbs Up 4

This is where these townspeople have officially hit Modern Spongebob territory. Congratulations Sonic Boom, you've managed to this area in less than a freaking year. 

That's an over-exaggeration if I ever did see one. Modern Spongebob is Every Episode with a maybe 1 episode break in between. This is every few, which is more in line with Movie-Era Spongebob, not bad, but not good. That being said I view this episode as Social Commentary and find it hilarious because of it. The over-sensitivity of the modern day is satirized in a fun way that doesn't involve turning Knuckles into a drooling idiot. A+ Episode all around in my book.

That's an over-exaggeration if I ever did see one. Modern Spongebob is Every Episode with a maybe 1 episode break in between. This is every few, which is more in line with Movie-Era Spongebob, not bad, but not good. That being said I view this episode as Social Commentary and find it hilarious because of it. The over-sensitivity of the modern day is satirized in a fun way that doesn't involve turning Knuckles into a drooling idiot. A+ Episode all around in my book.

That's not the point. It doesn't matter how many times they appear in these episodes. The point is any time we even get an episode based around the townspeople, let it be Don't Judge Me, Blue with Envy, or Just a Guy, they act the exact same way. They never appreciate any of the stuff Sonic does to save their asses on a weekly basis (Which is thankfully addressed here, even if briefly), they always overreact and act like complete assholes, especially towards Sonic, especially in Blue with Envy and this episode especially. They act like a massive bunch of jerks and I at the very least wouldn't mind it if it was a one episode occasion, but it has been 3 or 4 episodes by this point where they act the exact same way. They act like a bunch of entitled jerks, who do anything to complain and insult about Sonic, and treat him like crap. They may have less episodes where they appear, but they are still in the same annoying, entitled, jerky attitude that's featured in Modern Spongebob.  

• Thumbs Up 1

If there's one thing I liked in this it's Sonic's personality. To me, when he "retires" he acts like a toned down OVA Sonic. He's still a good guy but in a more passive way and is somewhat snarky even if it isn't entirely called for. I wouldn't actually mind if Boom Sonic was more like this normally. I do like that they tried to distinguish him from SEGA Sonic by having him be more sarcastic and relaxed but I found today's take on him far more interesting.

• Thumbs Up 1

Amy said ''Its not what you said Sonic, Its how you said it'' She is saying that Sonic should have said it in a different way, Because it made the People think he was saying that he is better that him. Sonic should have said it in a different way. I Don't Get why Amy sets up a Sensitivity school anyways. Sonic wasent even mad when he said it, I Could understand if he was mad and things dident come out right. But why? Modern Spongebob is way worse than this, When Squidward got tortured. Nothing redeeming happened to him in the end anyway. And the torture was just there in the show. It wasent anyones fault. Sonic did get something redeeming in the end. The Lightning bolt society actually said something bad. He said ''Lets see you do better!'' Thats literally saying your better than someone. Which is mean to the townspeople. Not saying the townspeople are good though because the way they act when Mike gets injured is fucking stupid. At least Sonic Boom isent Modern Spongebob. We only have had 2 Bad Episodes. (Buster and This.) I Like the episode though, Funny Moments were funny. But some spots in the episode are bad.