Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

So, Cabin Fever has just finished airing. Here are my thoughts on the new (Well, sort of new considering it was shown at the Sonic Boom event last year) episode:

That was a pretty funny episode. Highlights were the part when they were reading the play script and when they were performing the play at the end. I also kinda felt this felt a bit like a horror episode. Overall, a pretty funny episode. Also, that music during the montage scene. I was laughing during that part.

P.S. Can someone upload or make a gif out of the scene where they're performing the play at the end of the episode? Please. Anyone.

Edited by Inkling Spooker
  • Thumbs Up 1

My thoughts on Cabin Fever. I didn't like it as much as I hoped. The episode felt a bit too mean spirited, especially towards Amy. Some parts were funny though, and it was mostly because of Knuckles. I almost loved the ending, since it showed how sorry the gang felt for disrespecting Amy's hospitality and ruining her living room. Then the ending had to tear up that almost happy ending by having Amy happy to see what her friends did for her, only for them to ditch her, and drag the entire village to take shelter at her house. Wow... Is that supposed to be funny? The writers made an episode that mistreats a character throughout, then right when she's given an act of kindness, the writers just tore up all heart that was left at the end.

I felt so bad for Amy, it's no wonder she wrote a play with parodies of her friends, since they treat her so inconsiderately. I'm just glad the show has been renewed, maybe the writers can make episodes that rely more on light hearted and witty humor, instead of poking fun at one's misery. Keep in mind that this is the third to last episode, and how it's the last episode of season one to have Amy as a main character, it would have been sad to know the last episode starring her in the series,would have had a lackluster ending for all she puts up with. At least the show got renewed, so maybe season 2 can fix that, while also not mistreating any other characters.

• Thumbs Up 3

Every week I read this topic… it half the time often seems like it’s just mostly couple people complaining about how mean spirited they think the show is in their opinion…. I mean I know this show is mainly targeted towards kids… But I swear some real babies are watching this show.  =P

Compared to most other TV-Shows the way the characters treat each other here is pretty normal I’d say. And anybody who is seriously hoping next season will have the characters be nicer… I can say without doubt you won’t be getting much of that.

As for my opinion on today’s episode. It was ok, but kinda boring in my opinion… Tails’s phobia of thunder and then jumping into somebody’s arms reminds of  Scooby doo jokes. I find what Sticks does and doesn’t have paranoia of a bit confusing at times… It’s like she both fears machines, yet also likes some machine/devices… I can’t get over how she trusted that robot dog a long while back, her paranoia really should had made her want to stay away from stuff like that... I guess there must be different concepts of her character among the multiple writers.

Could've been a bit better if Amy told everyone to just go to Eggman's place at the end, just for the sake of Eggman appearing at the end.

• Thumbs Up 1

This episode highlights the problems that was mocked on last weeks episode. Just one word can describe it; Irresponsible.

It was set out to be like that MLP episode "Look Before You Sleep", but because this series is set from the get go that actions don't get reasonable consequences, the conclusion becomes this mean-spirited mess of a story. It's almost Family Guy levels of mean-spiritedness. Almost. And to top it of, let's dig up a late 80's/early 90's trope, because this episode thinks it's ok that a simple stage-play is good enough of an apology to Amy after all of this. And she somehow accepts it, which just makes her appear incredibly shallow.

Sorry, just wanted to let that out of my mind.  

• Thumbs Up 2

It would be cool if they used the Sonic X VAs, but how Jetix is now Disney Channel...it wont happen

Edited by Diamond Knight

Every week I read this topic… it half the time often seems like it’s just mostly couple people complaining about how mean spirited they think the show is in their opinion…. I mean I know this show is mainly targeted towards kids… But I swear some real babies are watching this show.  =P

Compared to most other TV-Shows the way the characters treat each other here is pretty normal I’d say. And anybody who is seriously hoping next season will have the characters be nicer… I can say without doubt you won’t be getting much of that.

As for my opinion on today’s episode. It was ok, but kinda boring in my opinion… Tails’s phobia of thunder and then jumping into somebody’s arms reminds of  Scooby doo jokes. I find what Sticks does and doesn’t have paranoia of a bit confusing at times… It’s like she both fears machines, yet also likes some machine/devices… I can’t get over how she trusted that robot dog a long while back, her paranoia really should had made her want to stay away from stuff like that... I guess there must be different concepts of her character among the multiple writers.

Well excuse me, there's no need for insults or name calling, just because some of us don't find it funny to see beloved characters acting mean and out of character. It also doesn't help that the show's writers can't give poor Amy a break.

Too many episodes have the gang mistreat Amy, or portray Amy as an annoyed sasser. Yeah, some episodes mistreated Tails, but Tails had some of the most episodes where he's the focus and saves the day, to the point where the show gives him most of the hero glory, over Sonic even. Heck, each character had their own moment of saving everyone in the end of an episode, except Amy. The closest we got to Amy saving the day, was Don't Judge Me, but she was still missing throughout 95% of the episode, and didn't do much, plus the ending was horribly rushed.

I just want to see Amy be portrayed more like she was in the first 8 episodes. Back when she was kind, caring, helpful, compassionate, and a bit of a goofball. I hate seeing the gang constantly ignoring her, moaning at her, or ganging up against her, and I'm sick of the episodes that constantly give Amy an annoyed look, crossing her arms, being sarcastic, and bossy. 

Amy's not the only one that needs improvement on portrayals.Sonic needs to be more excitive, less bored and less easily annoyed. He needs to quit being a self absorbed jerk towards his pals. I like it when Sonic reflects his ego onto Eggman, but I get annoyed when he acts like his friends are worthless to him. Knuckles needs to show more of his tough guy side, and a little less of his brain dead side. They should balance Knuckles out to be moree even with his dumb moments and tough guy moments. I'm actually fine with howTails and Sticks are, though.

Welp, guess it's now or never to do Role Models and Cabin Fever. Double the Reid Harrison, double the fun! And I just realized these are the last 2 Reid Harrison written episodes..... Season 2 can't come any sooner, or shall I say can't get any sonar? .....yeah never mind.....

Role Models is another great episode, poking fun on over-protectiveness of reckless behavior. I guess it helps that Lady Walrus' criticism looses credibility when she said that her baby will play near a cliff. Hypocrisy at its finest!

D. B. Platypus is only doing his job but even then, he's an annoying little bugger regardless. Just love how Sonic and friends grow more and more sick of him and his "precautions", helps make the audience sympathize with them. Eggman trying to a get trophy of his own is hilarious as well and both plot lines intertwine just as well as it did in Tails' Crush. Also Eggman taking advantage of Platypus' supervision to screw them over is both funny and pretty smart of him.

Sticks coming in and save the day is a great moment for her as well!

Overall, a great episode and another one of my top favorites!

Now we got Cabin Fever. 

I can't say that it's great but it's a pretty good episode. It was a bit slow-paced at the beginning part and then quickly goes into the play itself but as Amy said in Robot Battle Royale, "a bit of filler before the actual plot kicks in".

Though again, love it how Sonic and the gang just have fun doing silly things like playing forts, pillow fights and typical silly behavior. I know I did most of that stuff as a kid as well. And when the gang realizes that the characters in Amy's play are just cartoon versions of themselves is kind of a commentary for those who feel like the Boom characters aren't 1:1 to the Modern cast, it doesn't ridicule the fans who liked the Modern cast but rather accept to their cartooniness. 

And I just love how Sonic reacts to when Knux said "Television? Who needs it?", he was so TRIGGERED!

Overall, a really good episode!

Now we only got the episode where we're introduced to Charlie the Archaeologist and the season finale with Edgy the Hedgy!

I kinda like how they took Tails' fear of lightning from the OVA. Unless it shows up somewhere in Heroes, I don't think it's ever been brought up in the games.

1) Did you really need to insult people who think like that? I mean, it's fine if you don't have a problem with it, but calling people who do "babies" is just unnecessary.

2) I completely understand why people have a problem with Sonic acting like a jerk to his friends. I mean, the Sonic Boom games talked about how important Sonic's friends are to him, and it's pretty weird to see him talk about how his "friends are his strength," and then see him act like a dick to them, in my opinion.

Besides, there's nothing wrong with not wanting every Amy episode in Boom to be mean-spirited toward her.

Edited by D.H
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes, the way characters treat each other in Boom isn't that much different from other cartoons on now, but here's the thing: it's a jarring change from the franchise that espoused the "Super Power of Teamwork". I mean, seriously, compare this with how the cast treats in general treats each other in say... The Archie comics? At the most, you get some light teasing between friends, not the abrasiveness that we see in Sonic Boom.

• Thumbs Up 1

Happy Halloween, guys! I slept in and missed today's episode. Thank goodness for YouTube! I've been waiting for Cabin Fever since the table read at the Boom event last year. The idea of the main cast stuck in a house together and getting at each others throats is so funny to me. Plus, it's nice to see the main group take a break from fighting Eggman and just hang out. Overall, it was a good episode that didn't disappoint. It was interesting to see Sonic and Tails fight, albeit very briefly. They're always so buddy-buddy, it would be nice to see an episode where they disagree on something and are at war with each other. Anyhoo, back to Cabin Fever. This episode reminded me of the fun of being a kid. The group made sandcastles, built forts and even got in a pillow fight! Tails fear of lightning reminded me of my youth too. My favorite bit was Sonic talking to Tails from his fort and accepting his gift of paperclips. As for the comments on the show being mean-spirited, I disagree. Sonic's a bit egotistical, but that's just his personality. He genuinely cares for his friends, as evidenced by the end of the episode.

• Thumbs Up 4

1) Did you really need to insult people who think like that? I mean, it's fine if you don't have a problem with it, but calling people who do "babies" is just unnecessary.

2) I completely understand why people have a problem with Sonic acting like a jerk to his friends. I mean, the Sonic Boom games talked about how important Sonic's friends are to him, and it's pretty weird to see him talk about how his "friends are his strength," and then see him act like a dick to them, in my opinion.

Besides, there's nothing wrong with not wanting every Amy episode in Boom to be mean-spirited toward her.

thanks for understanding. 

Just because people are best friends doesn't mean they can't be jerks to each other sometimes. That's just reality. Plus, comedy is partially about tragedy so you need to have a confrontational situation at times. 

Besides, it may have been wrong to trash Amy's house, but wasn't it wrong of Amy to make a play with insulting versions of her friends? The thing I love about this show is that the characters are flawed. VERY flawed at times. It makes for a more fun show. 

Considering how the gang ignores her house rules many times, and mistreats her, I think she has every right to make herself feel appreciated. It's better than going around and demanding everyone to be nice to her. 

Just because people are best friends doesn't mean they can't be jerks to each other sometimes. That's just reality. Plus, comedy is partially about tragedy so you need to have a confrontational situation at times. 

That's the thing though, reality can be depressing, and tv should be an escape to relieve that, not reflect that. If the characters have moments of weaknesses in episodes, fine, but don't just end the episode without them apologizing, or have them do something nice, only for the writers to just ruin it. The ending to this episode was a bit depressing for Amy. She had to put up with her friends trashing both her, and her house, and now she has to put up with most of the village doing the same thing. It's not funny to see someone get punished, when they really didn't do anything wrong. It's also a shame when an episode tries making a light hearted ending, only to stomp all over it in the end, at another character's expense. 

• Thumbs Up 1

While it can get annoying if it's always mean spirited, or if the character has not done anything to deserve it, I honestly think you guys take mean spirited too lightly. I mean no offence, but it feels like if there's even a hint of someone acting like a jerk, you guys write it off as mean spirited. 

As for Amy, she kind of deserved the events of the episode. She was acting like a total control freak, she wrote an extremely insulting script based on her friends, while making herself sound perfect and popular, and then on top of that, she restricted all access to food. Even if the group ate them at the beginning, that's what Amy made them for. For the group to eat. It's kind of a really asshole move to take away access to food.

It also doesn't help that she was taking part in the entire thing in the first place. She made her own fort, she was restricting access to food, same way the others were restricting the TV time and such, and she had an active role in the fort thing. If she had simply given Knuckles the food, then none of what happened later would have occurred. The fact that she never learned her lesson and still acted like a complete and utter control freak isn't good either. The group made up for what they did by reenacting her hurtful play. Amy did nothing of the sort, and will almost definitely still act like a complete and annoying control freak. 

• Thumbs Up 8

While it can get annoying if it's always mean spirited, or if the character has not done anything to deserve it, I honestly think you guys take mean spirited too lightly. I mean no offence, but it feels like if there's even a hint of someone acting like a jerk, you guys write it off as mean spirited. 

As for Amy, she kind of deserved the events of the episode. She was acting like a total control freak, she wrote an extremely insulting script based on her friends, while making herself sound perfect and popular, and then on top of that, she restricted all access to food. Even if the group ate them at the beginning, that's what Amy made them for. For the group to eat. It's kind of a really asshole move to take away access to food.

It also doesn't help that she was taking part in the entire thing in the first place. She made her own fort, she was restricting access to food, same way the others were restricting the TV time and such, and she had an active role in the fort thing. If she had simply given Knuckles the food, then none of what happened later would have occurred. The fact that she never learned her lesson and still acted like a complete and utter control freak isn't good either. The group made up for what they did by reenacting her hurtful play. Amy did nothing of the sort, and will almost definitely still act like a complete and annoying control freak. 

I personally don't have a problem with there being an episode or two where Amy acts like a control freak and paying for it, but I do find it a bit annoying when nearly every episode that was centered around her this season, has her acting like this.

Hopefully next season they find more to do with Amy-centered episodes than just "she's a control freak who bosses around others, and then pays for it." 

• Thumbs Up 2

No guys, just no. You can't seriously think that this episode was okay and that the protagonists are friends. Because it's clear that they are NOT.

This guys are just complete a**holes towards each other. You can't possibly defend Sonic and the gang for breaking into Amy's privacy and causing a mess into her house and blame Amy. What wrong did she do? Is she to blame because she wants her "friends" to join her in her activities? Is she to blame because she wrote a PRIVATE fanfiction in which the characters are EXACTLY like the real counterparts?

Come on, in this episode Sonic, Knuckles, Tails and Sticks were complete, utter, undefendable jerks who can't even come up with a proper amend for their disasters.

Oh, and about a general problem with this poor excuse of a cartoon (yes, I said it), how can anybody ship Sonic and Amy together? When they interact, like in this episode, in Bro Down Showdon or in Fuzzy Puppy Buddies, Sonic is always mocking and/or disrespecting Amy's interests. And when it's implied that they are a couple, they always deny with an ashamed and/or angry tone. How in the world are those two even remotely shippable?

• Thumbs Up 1

No guys, just no. You can't seriously think that this episode was okay and that the protagonists are friends. Because it's clear that they are NOT.

This guys are just complete a**holes towards each other. You can't possibly defend Sonic and the gang for breaking into Amy's privacy and causing a mess into her house and blame Amy. What wrong did she do? Is she to blame because she wants her "friends" to join her in her activities? Is she to blame because she wrote a PRIVATE fanfiction in which the characters are EXACTLY like the real counterparts?

Come on, in this episode Sonic, Knuckles, Tails and Sticks were complete, utter, undefendable jerks who can't even come up with a proper amend for their disasters.

Oh, and about a general problem with this poor excuse of a cartoon (yes, I said it), how can anybody ship Sonic and Amy together? When they interact, like in this episode, in Bro Down Showdon or in Fuzzy Puppy Buddies, Sonic is always mocking and/or disrespecting Amy's interests. And when it's implied that they are a couple, they always deny with an ashamed and/or angry tone. How in the world are those two even remotely shippable?

Jeez dude, you act like the characters are always mocking each other and act like they were never friends to begin with. 

They are friends, the characters have flaws (Sonic's ego and arrogance, Tails' naivety, Knuckles' stupidity, Sticks' paranoia and Amy's control freakness). So when friends have flaws, you can bet your ass there's gonna be some fights. 

I really don't why you're always so angry about this show. You act like people DON'T invade other people's privacy when they're bored. I know I did, does that make me Hitler then?

Also poor excuse? Fucking really, dude it's obvious you're taking this show too seriously. Just chill out and think about it afterwards.

• Thumbs Up 2

Actually I can defend it. Doing one asshole thing doesn't defend another asshole thing. Friends do annoying and stupid stuff to each other. It's a fact of life. They screw up. Amy was in the wrong for not actually asking the group what they wanted to do, and instead treated them like a bunch of five year olds who weren't old enough to do anything. The others clearly said they didn't want to do Arts and Crafts, and yet she shoved it down their throats. 

As for the fanfiction, it's still incredibly hurtful, and still was over the top. Amy portrayed herself as perfect, with no issues whatsoever, despite the fact she's a control freak, and condescending. It may be private, but it can still hurt to find out your friend sees you like this. On top of that, It's a play script, not a diary, which means it's possible Amy could have tried to turn it into a play as well, considering other episodes have shown her hosting events in the village, and as Sonic himself says in the episode, the entire thing is about all of them, and Amy can't deny that. Even Knuckles, the idiot of the group figured out right away who "Shoulders" was supposed to be. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Amy wasn't a control freak, it was her house, and she didn't like seeing her friends break her stuff, or make a mess. She wasn't strict at first, but the gang kept overwhelming her with their demands and whining, that she started throwing house rules around. It's no wonder Amy wrote that play, it was her way of relieving stress for all she had to put up with in the past. It was never meant for the gang to read, and it's not like it made them look bad. They even agreed at the end that they were just cartoons of them, and not who they really are. The gang trashed Amy's cooking earlier in the episode, yet ate it all without saving some for Amy, so why is it wrong for Amy to block off food from the rest of the crew, when they trashed both it, and her? Amy did nothing wrong in this episode, her friends barged into her house, started mocking her and her house, and wrecked the place, yet you're saying Amy is the bad guy?! What is wrong with you?! How would you like it if a friend barged into your house, started breaking your stuff, eating all of your food, and kept digging through private property? Amy had every right to set some rules, yet her jerk friends were too inconsiderate of her feelings. 

Edited by SpongicX

The group literally didn't break anything until the very end of the episode after Amy forced them all to do what they did. Knuckles broke one thing, and that was over an accident. Amy was being a control freak because she was literally telling the group every single thing they had to do. No one trashed Amy's cooking either. Knuckles was too stupid to understand that she was getting snacks, and then they simply ate the snacks she brought them to eat. They did no mocking whatsoever. They told Amy that they didn't want to do the activities she had planned, and they still went through with it for her sake. 

But no, of course you're right. What's wrong with me? How dare I try to look at both sides of the argument instead of outright claiming that Amy's totally in the right, despite half the things you are claiming to have happened were direct consequences of what Amy herself did. The group were literally sitting down doing nothing when Amy began with all her rules, and forcing them to do things that they didn't want to do. When you bring friends to your place, you all agree on an activity that everyone finds fun. Not shove a stupid activity that no one wants to do down their throats.

• Thumbs Up 6

I didn't mind it. It was pretty funny. I especially like how Tails was scared of the lightning though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, I admit, Amy is a control freak who treats Sonic & co. like indisciplinated children.

But Sonic & co. on the other hand do nothing but confirm that they are, in fact, indisciplinated children who prefer to trash the house of their caretaker (which is basically Amy's role in the gang) instead of politely prove that they are better than what Amy thinks they are.