Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

wonder if we''ll get lucky and get an actual e-shop demo a month or two before release

• Thumbs Up 6

Disclaimer: I know nothing about game development.

But I'd imagine that, if they're in a position to place checkpoints and accurately assess level difficulty, then the levels, enemies, and obstacles must be in a fundamentally playable state.  That doesn't necessarily make them graphically complete, though, nor does it mean cutscenes or even the script might be totally finalised.  On the other hand, the game is meant to be out this year.  So all you can really say is that they're reasonably well along.

• Thumbs Up 2

Disclaimer: I know nothing about game development.

But I'd imagine that, if they're in a position to place checkpoints and accurately assess level difficulty, then the levels, enemies, and obstacles must be in a fundamentally playable state.  That doesn't necessarily make them graphically complete, though, nor does it mean cutscenes or even the script might be totally finalised.  On the other hand, the game is meant to be out this year.  So all you can really say is that they're reasonably well along.

I was going on with what Retro Studios said their development of DKCR was like. Yes they had a fair amount of levels already planned out and developed but they said that everything started to click and more development of unfinished levels came after going to E3. Plus world 9 is a great example of them running out of time to complete an actually bonus world and instead opted for a bonus level

wonder if we''ll get lucky and get an actual e-shop demo a month or two before release

They better do, because I want to try it out before buying it and I don't want another late demo release like SLW.

• Thumbs Up 3

I would probably think since the development for this game started in 2011 I'd say they're at about 75% so I'm sure that the game's not completed yet. 

A demo would be nice but it would be sometime after E3 maybe a month or two if that's the case. 

They are probably in the Alpha stage's of development ATM I think.  The game is probably already done and they just need to do a lot of tweaks here and their to get it ready for launch.

And yes.  Alpha do start at these times if the game is going to come out in October (I think it will come out in October since most Sonic games do).  You won't believe how long it takes for people to find glitches in games these days.

Within about three months time at least, we're bound to have playable demos at E3.

So Steven said in the interview that what was seen in the CryEngine 3 demo reel last year was more or less a tech demo, meaning that stuff like day/night cycles may not be in the final build. Considering the game was in development on PC, I don't doubt that they toned down the graphics a bit for Wii U in favour of performance. Which is fine, and the graphics we saw in the trailer are still a work in progress anyway.

The game will still look beautiful, I'm sure. It probably just won't look like what we saw in the demo reel, not at 60fps anyway.

By the way, where do you guys think the game is I'm development right now? I think they're probably doing the final levels and adding the finishing touches, as well as making an E3 demo.

Whoa! I should hope not considering it's due out this year!

The game will be complete in a sense that everything that's in the current build has the chance of being in the final game, in terms of levels at least. 

I think given what time it is right now and the expected release date, odds are the game will be more in the 'take things out/cut' things stage.' That doesn't include stuff like 'well lets add the texture to every part of the game now.' But what levels are there right now... that will be it, it's unlikely new ones will be made and added now.

Another thing they could be working on is connectivity with the 3DS version. Also there was that whole thing with the graphics being a work in progress, so maybe they are fine tuning the visuals a little. Judging by that tweet that Steven made, it seems that they are currently adding the finishing touches to the levels. So I think it's at least in the late alpha stage, maybe early/mid beta.

I'm curious what the NFC support is for....maybe cheats if you scan one of the toys?

I'm curious what the NFC support is for....maybe cheats if you scan one of the toys?

Where was this said?

So Steven said in the interview that what was seen in the CryEngine 3 demo reel last year was more or less a tech demo, meaning that stuff like day/night cycles may not be in the final build. Considering the game was in development on PC, I don't doubt that they toned down the graphics a bit for Wii U in favour of performance.

Considering this game was originally coming to Wii U, PS3, and the 360 as planned, why would they need to tone it down for the most powerful out of that three?

I think it's safe bet that the levels are finished and the graphics are mostly done as well. Now they just need to go through every inch of it all to make sure there are no glitches, balance difficulty, etc.

Considering this game was originally coming to Wii U, PS3, and the 360 as planned, why would they need to tone it down for the most powerful out of that three?

It was developed on a PC dev kit like most games are, so the graphics were probably better on there as it's a PC. Plus, it was never said that it was meant to be multiplatform. The platforms were probably decided last year.

It was developed on a PC dev kit like most games are, so the graphics were probably better on there as it's a PC.

No, it wasn't "developed on a PC dev kit". It was developed on PC as all video games start off these days. And if such were actually the case, the graphics would look better than the outcome on any other console too, 'lest they downgrade them.

Fair mistake. Sorry if I came off a bit harsh.

I know it's been up for a few days, but hardly annyone's commented specifically on how I did for my first interview. smile.png

What did you think of the questions, the way I asked them, etc?

You did wonderfully adapting the questions and distributing them. Your interview worked to grant us a trove of information!

• Thumbs Up 2

Hero, that was a really good interview, granted that we didn't got any new info but the questions are well made and very specific. Can't wait to see more of your interviews man!

• Thumbs Up 1

Fair mistake. Sorry if I came off a bit harsh.

It's cool :)

Another theory is that it was just a tech demo or something, and not actual in game footage. I actually think that's what Steven meant in the interview.

I'm sorry but SEGA must prove that this should end this horrible deal that does not make more sales on the Wii U. Still PS4 is still the boss in gaming ever since and Sonic's still missing in both the PS4 and XB1 Action.

Dude, thats just arrogant and kinda rude, also you do realize that in the 4-6 months we have until sonic Boom's release we have both MARIO KART 8 releasing, and quite possibly Super Smash Bros 4, both major system movers, not to mention hyrule warriors, and Bayonetta 2. Oh and the 3DS has a huge userbase thank you

Bingo. Plus sales have shown the 3DS version of Lost World aren't exactly leaps and bounds better than the Wii U version even though it has a bajillion times the userbase.

What should that tell you? People weren't receptive due to quality, not the platform.

If 3DS owners were not super receptive, PS4 and Xbox One owners wouldn't be either. And also as Sega themselves said, Nintendo is their best audience. And Nintendo is king of the target audience of the franchise; kids and families.

Somehow I don't see PS4 and Xbox One owners rushing out to buy a Sonic game, let alone one that was the worst reviewed entry since Black Knight (so... 4 and a 1/2 years?) if you don't count Free Riders which is likely the worst since '06 or maybe even worse.

Edit: Woah, Free Riders is just BARELY better, like ONE POINT; 47 for FR, 46 for '06 360 and 43 for '06 PS3, via Metacritic.

• Thumbs Up 4