Awoo.

Thoughts on modern Knuckles?

Connor

What do you mean by that?

I mean, that with all these options, apparently none of them seem to matter over making him either foolish or shoehorning. They've hardly tried to develop him since SA2 more than a decade ago, with what little he has been given treated as scraps or not even recognized compared to the bigger roles. So they seem to think in black and white for this character.

But regardless, how does her absence from Sonic Battle discredit the simple fact that Chaos very much exists in the game?

It doesn't. It was to point out how every idea you brought up had a hole that had more questions that needed answering.

Also...

But I'm sick of hearing people go on about how Knuckles needs to go back to guarding the Master Emerald! Why do people act like that's the only way to keep him from getting shoehorned into the games? I never cared about his role as a guardian anyway.

Modern Knuckles.. what can I say? I miss the guy

His description in every game he's played a role in describes him as a martial artist who's only goal is to protect the Master Emerald.. that's all good until the story started to drift away from the Floating Island (Angel Island).

He got his 15 minutes of fame, how many other Sonic characters can say they got their own spin off game? (3)

I believe a combination of fans complaining about too many playable characters with the constantly changing way we play Sonic games is a huge factor of his absence.

As for the Archie Comics Knuckles.. he is probably the character that has had the biggest development in the series. He started off naive much like his video game counterpart and has worked his way up to someone who thinks things through clearly, understands the difference between right and wrong, acknowledges he has feelings (sometimes landing him in trouble) and an excellent team leader. (Looking forward to the Knuckles/Chaotix Universe arc)

Knuckles future? I think it depends on the impact of his re-design for the new cartoon.. it might be a success and adapt over to other medias .. or could just be a one-off joke depicting him as a muscle-bound moron... with fingers.

I hope the new design doesn't get success and adapted into games! It would change the character completely! 

• Thumbs Up 1

But I'm sick of hearing people go on about how Knuckles needs to go back to guarding the Master Emerald! Why do people act like that's the only way to keep him from getting shoehorned into the games? I never cared about his role as a guardian anyway.

Well then that's your problem now isn't it. Excuse people for wanting to actually return the character to his former glory before he was degenerated into a meatheaded muscle guy. Honestly, the fact that you can't understand why people would prefer how Knuckles used to be compared to how he is now confuzzles me.

What do you mean by that?

Now that you mention it, I could probably come up with something based on her moveset in SA2. But regardless, how does her absence from Sonic Battle discredit the simple fact that Chaos very much exists in the game?

If I remember correctly doesn't it say in Battle that chaos only appears in times of great crisis? Not to mention that the canonicity of battle is questionable, if Chaos WAS the guardian of the Emerald in question why isn't he actually guarding it in said game rather than standing on an icy plateau looking at the death egg?

I don't like the direction SEGA is going with knux he's my favorite character and seeing him like this is makes me sad. I feel as if ever since sonic X he's been the butt of the joke(except if the episode is centered around him) and in the games he keeps saying "thanks sonic I didn't need your help I could if done it on my own better and faster" as clement would say knux has been reduced to an idiot. Out of all the characters that don't do anything in the games anymore I think he's the worst

• Thumbs Up 2

Personally, while I'll concede to the fact that Knuckle's gullibility has been over-exaggerated, much like Amy's crush on Sonic, I'm probably one of the few people who doesn't mind it too much. And I'll forever maintain the only game he ever was intentionally coming off as an idiot was in 06' if mostly because everyone else was except maybe Shadow.

I dunno, as grating as it is to some, I always found it to be a somewhat endearing little quirky flaw that made him a good character to me.

Overstays it's welcome at times? Oh yeah, no argument there.

But should it go away forever? IMO, no, not really. Just make it less blatant with each game he's in (or whatever future he'll ever be in that will be important), much like toning down Amy's crush in LW.

Its not so much that I hate Knuckles becoming more of an oaf, because he's always been the butt of some jokes more or less, but rather ignoring virtually everything else about the character to make him an oaf. Yea, Knuckles was never the sharpest tool in the shed, but he could still get shit done and had his own problems to worry about, instead of just tagging along with Sonic and talking about doing things that he never actually does.

I'd be less bitter if he was actually able to do something. He's barely done a goddamn thing in almost all of his appearances; even Amy has done more in recent years than Knuckles has, and she appears nowhere near as often.

Knuckles is basically the embodiment of everything I dislike about the series now; Wasted Potential.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I mean, like I said a few pages back, I don't mind the new Knuckles, though I have a bit of a fondness for SA1 Knuckles.  It's just that half the time he does so little that I don't even remember he's in the game until he comes back on screen.

He's basically a glorified cameo at this point. For all of his appearances, I'd rather they just don't use him period.

I'm beginning to feel like people hate me for wanting Knuckles to have as much freedom as Sonic...

I don't hate you, but that's what makes knuckles...well Knuckles, he is the guardian of the master emeralds and should be treated as such. sonic is the free spirit, Knuckles is the responsible tied down character. It makes him him and gives him something different to Sonic

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm beginning to feel like people hate me for wanting Knuckles to have as much freedom as Sonic...

Nobody hates you, we just feel its an underutilization of the character compared to before.

Here's the reason why people might not agree with you; Knuckles` entire schtick was being a foil to Sonic. Red to his blue, Strength to his speed, and stationary to Sonic's freedom. Its the contrast between the two that made Knuckles such an interesting character.  Giving Knuckles just as much freedom as Sonic arguably makes him somewhat less interesting because then he's more or less just another hero, rather than a reluctant one. And people who actually do like his guardian role want to see it explored, when it really hasn't for so many years.

Granted, this is just me and I'm pretty sure someone agrees with you about just nixing the Master Emerald altogether, I just don't really agree with your notion that its holding Knuckles back and therefore needs to be abolished.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think Shadow is somewhat responsible for Knuckles decline in a sense Sonic Team has decieded to give Shadow the role of Sonic's major foil and contrast.

While that may be true, the Shadow era has ended. Why didn't Knuckles get his shine back? (Not directed at you, but at ST's.. thought process) I can only wonder.

I think Shadow is somewhat responsible for Knuckles decline in a sense Sonic Team has decieded to give Shadow the role of Sonic's major foil and contrast.

Knuckles wasn't really suppose to fill that role entirely...but it was played up a lot after Sonic 3.

There's really no reason why both him and Shadow can't be foils to Sonic. Sonic Team are just lazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

There's really no reason why both him and Shadow can't be foils to Sonic. Sonic Team are just lazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree! Sonic Rivals, for once, did that right. They like to beat one another, even if they don't hate each other anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree! Sonic Rivals, for once, did that right. They like to beat one another, even if they don't hate each other anymore.

That's not really doing it right, the reason anyone fought each other in that game was because they were all being really stupid getting in each other's way and not working together to defeat the person they were ALL after.

That's not really doing it right, the reason anyone fought each other in that game was because they were all being really stupid getting in each other's way and not working together to defeat the person they were ALL after.

Well to be fair, at least it wasn't contradicting its theme of rivalry.

I know it's not really saying much, but the same can't be said of Heroes and its theme of teamwork while having the teams fight after meeting each other.

I know it's not really saying much, but the same can't be said of Heroes and its theme of teamwork while having the teams fight after meeting each other.

Saying something that's stupid is less stupid than another stupid thing, is kinda stupid :P

• Thumbs Up 1

That wasn't the point of Heroes. The teamwork aspect applied to the three members of each team working together, not the four teams consolidating into an army.

• Thumbs Up 1

That wasn't the point of Heroes. The teamwork aspect applied to the three members of each team working together, not the four teams consolidating into an army.

Even though they did at the very end of the game? The WHOLE overlaying point of heroes was teamwork, wether between individuals or groups. It was still stupid nonetheless, oh hi sonic I'm going to beat the crap out of you so you'll marry me! Oh look guys it's shadow he was dead last time we saw him, let's beat him up. Because THAT makes sense!

Even though they did at the very end of the game? The WHOLE overlaying point of heroes was teamwork, wether between individuals or groups. It was still stupid nonetheless, oh hi sonic I'm going to beat the crap out of you so you'll marry me! Oh look guys it's shadow he was dead last time we saw him, let's beat him up. Because THAT makes sense!

I never said the game was entirely logical, but at least it maintained the idea of teamwork throughout.

I agree with Electro here, while the overlaying theme was teamwork, doesn't mean they couldn't have a couple fights in there. Every Team has its hiccups. Of course the reasons were quite despicable. Like how having a common enemy means... Its a date to die for? I love that line but it does show poor writing. I always thought it was like, getting over differences to fight the enemy. Or something. Hah

Sent from my SCH-I200PP using Tapatalk