Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

6 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

And again, I guarantee that if this movie was entirely animated and Sonic's design was never weird looking, but everything about the plot was kept the same, suddenly, automatically, more people on this thread would magically think that it looks good. But the fact that it's live action, everyone's freaking out.

It amazes me that it keeps getting brought up again and again, time and time again that people are sick of detractors not giving the film a chance, or commenting on how they’re never happy, or more my specific point - why they feel the need to constantly comment on what they feel are the film’s shortcomings...

...and then said “repeating” of points being completely justified by posts like this. If you’d read these arguments from detractors of the film, you might begin to realise how utterly ridiculous this is and how incredibly wrong it also is. If you’d bother to even read and understand the viewpoints of people who have an issue with the film and the problems displayed in the trailer, you might understand that the issues far exceed the visual design of the movie, and they’d still be pointed out if it was fully animated or not.

The Lorax was also incredibly faithful with its visual design and to Dr. Suess’s books, that didn’t stop the movie being a complete load of corporate bullshit that ruins the original story and shockingly managed to miss the entire point of the movie and it’s lesson, to the point where marketing material literally contradicted the original lessons about environmental damage and corporate greed by having the Lorax himself trying to sell cars and other such things.

Words don’t even begin to describe the flaws with this strawman argument and I’m getting really sick of it being trotted out to try shut down people who have a problem with the film. The visuals are one element of the film and changing the visuals will not fix the metric butt ton of problems with it.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/31/2019 at 1:01 AM, Myst said:

Liking a tweet doesn't really mean anything though. Paramount handles all of the marketing materials for the film. Marza just does the animation. Even Ben Schwartz has said he doesn't know when the trailer is coming.

But I do think we will probably get it next week anyway, given it's Sonic's original release date.

Wait, MARZA is animating Sonic in the movie? How did I not know this?

On 11/6/2019 at 11:56 AM, WittyUsername said:

I'm of the opinion of, "Yeah. Sure. He looks better. Cool. That's it."

This movie looks plagued with more problems than just how ugly Sonic was. I expect it to have its typical live-action/CGI licensed product issues. Stupid jokes (I expect at least one poop joke), story more focused on the human character and his human life and somewhere there's going to be a relationship subplot, and weird dance numbers.

Yeah, this trend will keep crawling around on the floor of cinema, with films like this, Dumbo, and the like.

3 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

It amazes me that it keeps getting brought up again and again, time and time again that people are sick of detractors not giving the film a chance, or commenting on how they’re never happy, or more my specific point - why they feel the need to constantly comment on what they feel are the film’s shortcomings...

...and then said “repeating” of points being completely justified by posts like this. If you’d read these arguments from detractors of the film, you might begin to realise how utterly ridiculous this is and how incredibly wrong it also is. If you’d bother to even read and understand the viewpoints of people who have an issue with the film and the problems displayed in the trailer, you might understand that the issues far exceed the visual design of the movie, and they’d still be pointed out if it was fully animated or not.

The Lorax was also incredibly faithful with its visual design and to Dr. Suess’s books, that didn’t stop the movie being a complete load of corporate bullshit that ruins the original story and shockingly managed to miss the entire point of the movie and it’s lesson, to the point where marketing material literally contradicted the original lessons about environmental damage and corporate greed by having the Lorax himself trying to sell cars and other such things.

Words don’t even begin to describe the flaws with this strawman argument and I’m getting really sick of it being trotted out to try shut down people who have a problem with the film. The visuals are one element of the film and changing the visuals will not fix the metric butt ton of problems with it.

5 hours ago, Sean said:

So what do you guys make of Sonic Underground? Are people who wrote it off due to it not being anything remotely like Sonic not giving it a fair shake, because it dared to set out and do its own thing divorced from any other previous incarnation? Why is it okay to hate Sonic Underground but not this movie

Sonic Underground made Sonic's design more accurate to his original JP one (without the mohawk) compared to AoStH and SatAM, and people still think it's the worst of the DiC cartoons by a country lightyear.

The design doesn't mean shit.

4 hours ago, Celestia said:

Well, yes, it would at the very least "look" good, in the literal sense, eh?

Everything about this movie even aside from Sonic's design does not appeal to me, and I suspect I--and a lot of people--would still feel that way. The design happened to be THE most immediate problem, but people aren't exactly wowed by the writing or anything either.

Guys...I never said the film is going to be good. I'm just saying that if this movie wasn't live action, and the design looked accurate, people wouldn't be making such a big deal out of it or hoping it would be bad. Even if the script was exactly the same.

In an alternate timeline we've read the reviews, disected the interviews and right now people are heading into Thursday previews.

• Thumbs Up 2

I wonder if they will adapt the script to fit this Sonic that now looks like Sonic, because actually looking like Sonic from the games kinda implies he is Sonic from the games and not some humanoid blue abomination that vaguely resembles the once beloved and highly recognizable SEGA mascot. Where I want to get is: maybe they re-write that "alien raised by an owl" bullcrap and give Sonic a new origin story, say, like he's from an island people never heard of... sorta like a Bermuda Triangle thing... or just the Sonic X route where he gets in our world through a space and time rift (not necesseraly Chaos Control, as it would imply Chaos Emeralds are in the movie). Becasuse really... you don't have to write a new origin story for a 30 years old video-game character. One can argue you don't have to change its iconic design either, but hey :V

They're not going to change his origin story, that'd require even more reshooting and re-animating, and they likely would've written the same kind of backstory regardless of how their original design looked. He's still movie Sonic, not game Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Guys...I never said the film is going to be good. I'm just saying that if this movie wasn't live action, and the design looked accurate, people wouldn't be making such a big deal out of it or hoping it would be bad. Even if the script was exactly the same.

I understood that.

FWIW I think if the movie was fully animated and looked good...it's just hard to imagine everything else pissing people off (the premise, writing, characters, etc.) being the same in the first place. But if that somehow had happened, yeah, I guess I could see it not taking off as much in the general public. I think fans would have complained just as much though, especially in circles like this that are really tired of bad writing in the franchise.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

I would strsight up admit to this being true and I'm not sure what point youre trying to make here. Do you think its shallow to care about the visuals?

The art design is such a key part of the appeal franchise and a key part of what makes movies enjoyable to begin with. A super stylized verion of this premise would at least bump this up to a rental and for good reason: even the shittiest story can be propped up into something decent with proper framing and presentation. 

At the very LEAST "Its really pretty but has a bad story" would align it with most of the games. 

• Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Eh, vocal minority doesn't stop being a thing.

14 hours ago, Sean said:

The design doesn't mean shit.

I wouldn't say it doesn't mean shit, I mean it certainly helps when showing the main character(s) on screen doesn't want to make you throw up, but it certaintly is not a guaranteed good movie maker. It's just an element among many others you have to get right in order for the movie to work.

2 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

I wouldn't say it doesn't mean shit, I mean it certainly helps when showing the main character(s) on screen doesn't want to make you throw up, put it certaintly is not a guaranteed good movie maker. It's just an element among many others you have to get right in order for the movie to work.

That wasn't the context of my post.

Well, today is the day when the movie was supposed to be released. Thank god, that they delay it for a good Sonic. Anyway, only 98 more days left.:

• Thumbs Up 4

A user on ResetERA called PiPSmallie, who apparently works in the movie industry, says the leaked picture is real and that we can expect a new trailer next Monday. Whoop! 

As for my opinion regarding the new design, it’s obviously WAY better than the original! He actually looks like Sonic from the games, wears gloves and looks more appealing too (cute actually!). Still not a fan of the blue arms though, but eh. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't have work that day. I'll be buying popcorn for the occasion. 

Oh, not the trailer. The inevitable discussions afterward. 

raw

• Chuckle 2

Can some of you seriously not go for one day without spamming this topic with "I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE TRAILER!!" posts?

I'm really tempted to lock this topic until the trailer drops. We also don't need updates on every single Twitter rando's impressions or whether or not they're going to see the trailer/movie in advance so please cut that out too.

• Thumbs Up 7

3 minutes ago, Demondeano18 said:

I think people are just excited to hear some news/updates is that a problem? 

The problem here is that people are just bumping the topic in order to express for the umpteen thousandth time how much they need a trailer.  It's not a problem that they're excited, but when it gets to the level of repetitiveness that it's gotten in the past few weeks, it quickly becomes spammy.

• Thumbs Up 6

7 minutes ago, Demondeano18 said:

Fair enough. I thought the post about the lady going to see the test screening was pretty cool to hear. Bit shit everyone has to walk on eggshells about what they post. This topic not up for general movie chat amongst members? 

I don't want to hear this from someone who just the other day tried to pull the "unpleasable fanbase" card and also acted extremely rude to others explaining their issues with the film and/or design, because all YOU care about is having this thread all to yourselves to gush about the film. So you can knock this shit off.

• Thumbs Up 5

Protip, for future consideration to people posting in this thread specifically after yet another cleaning (but not targeted specifically at anyone still posting in here): Slathering your posts with super clever amounts of ironic detachment and saying "lol" all the time isn't the cheat code to be a condescending shit and not be noticed.

Also learn what white knighting is before accusing people of doing it. Certainly before accusing people of doing it when they are doing pretty much the opposite.

• Thumbs Up 2

I want to shit post so bad, but I'm genuinely interested in seeing exactly how much they've improved Sonic. Hopefully the new trailer will include many of the same scenes from the original trailer. I want to get a good look at Sonic's proportions, the way that his limbs bend and, of course, his mouth.

Personally speaking, I don't really like Ben Scwartz' voice for Sonic. It just doesn't mesh. I wonder if this trailer might change now that his Sonic won't be painful to look at.

• Chuckle 1

I want to shit post and I will, mods stop me >:V

Seriously tho', I'm also curious to see the thing moving and what else changed. Hopefully the new trailer will have new scenes as well as old ones to compare. I'm a little bit optimistic TBH.

• Promotion 1