Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

9 minutes ago, PaddyFancy said:

Is it that good? A good lesson? In the first Shrek we learn that it isn't what's on the outside that counts, but what's inside. Then Shrek 2 comes and "what if its inside that counts"? Whaaaaat??? Possibly responsible for why we have The Big Bang Theory and The Emoji Movie. Simon Cowell acting like... Simon Cowell. My point is, it may be a critically and commercially successful film, since it relies on a reference as good as a joke, it set the ball rolling for its less than well recieved sequels, and for the likes of The Big Bang Theory and The Emoji Movie.

Incredible box office takings is not a sign of quality.

Are you serious? Shrek 2 is part of the reason we have The Big Bang Theory and The Emoji Movie?

Alright, first things first - the lesson isn't about that at all. The lesson in the first Shrek movie is not judging a book by your cover. Right, fair enough. However, the inherit point of Shrek 2 is it's not as cut and dry as that. The film is about social norms and what people consider acceptable. Their prejudice is the entire spring-board of the film's narrative, that even after Shrek got what he dreamed of, the world has deemed that he does not deserve it.

When he gets to Far Far Away, the kingdom despises him for not being the conventional Prince Charming they expected. He is seen as an extension of a curse that has ruined Fiona's life. The film itself is about the concept of people's prejudice, and if you will change to accept their traditional viewpoints, or if you stay true to yourself no matter what. Shrek starts the movie shouting that he will always be an orge, and then due to his own insecurities, self-hatred, and fear that he's ruined Fiona's life, he decides to change everything about himself if it will make him more traditionally beloved to the kingdom, and to fix Fiona's life.

Harold ties into this, allowing himself to be deluded constantly into thinking that him killing Shrek, and trying to force his daughter to fall in love with someone else altogether is for her benefit, because he did the exact same thing. Harold is what Shrek would be if Shrek continued down this line of thinking. Harold changed himself from a frog to a human through the Fairy Godmother, and ended up in debt to her for a long time, and creating a cycle of prejudice that would continue until Fairy Godmother pushed him so far that he would stop.

There's better people who've explained it than me, but this is a fantastic video that goes more in depth and words it a lot better than I could ever hope to imagine:

But anyways, this is starting to go off topic, so that's the end of that. 

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, KHCast said:

So we’re now going the Forces route regarding people’s complaints. The “wait and see, play the game/watch the movie, to see if you’re right” argument is really ridiculous.

It's just the tutorial trailer!  The real thing will be completely different, just you wait and (pay money and) see!

• Thumbs Up 7

Looks like Dreamcast Guy and Reddit leak both got vindicated, and the film is on track to be a merchandise machine for kids. City Escape sequence will probably be fun.

Still going to see it. Can't critique it/clown on it if I don't see it. 

Sonic will floss in the movie.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1
  • Absolutely 2

I wonder how Robotnik gets the technology to build Transformers-esque robots. Also there's apparently a scene where Sonic dodges missiles in a similar style as this scene

Holy crap that sounds awesome! So apparently Sonic needs Tom to help him save his planet. What I'm curious about is whether Robotnik ends up looking more like his normal self before the end of the movie because rhe leak said it was only in a mid credits scene where he's stuck on some alien planet 

• Thumbs Up 3

33 minutes ago, Sr101 said:

YMCA is a song about... um...yeah.

off topic, If this is about the gay thing, why do you feel the need to come off awkward about it as if saying it is weird?

On, topic, I’m gonna agree with Ryan that at this point I don’t see much reason a trailer is gonna change much when we’re gettibg descriptions about them and what is going on in them. The only difference is to me is that we can attach a face to each of the cringey prices of dialogue 

So maybe a throwaway reference to other characters?  Because if Eggman is investigating creatures like Sonic, maybe he could discover a trace of Tails or Knuckles?  Or maybe he could start a prototype of Metal?   Or maybe one of those robots is the Death Egg Robot?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, tailsBOOM! said:

So maybe a throwaway reference to other characters?  Because if Eggman is investigating creatures like Sonic, maybe he could discover a trace of Tails or Knuckles?  Or maybe he could start a prototype of Metal?   Or maybe one of those robots is the Death Egg Robot?

I certainly hope so! I kinda wanted Metal Sonic to be the final boss of this movie. Robotnik is seemingly losing his grip on sanity over the course of the movie. Which is a fitting arc for him. 

The other creatures are going to have to be from Sonic's world too and Sonic's planet is likely in a terrible crisis. Hence why he needs Tom to help him save it 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, KHCast said:

off topic, If this is about the gay thing, why do you feel the need to come off awkward about it as if saying it is weird?

On, topic, I’m gonna agree with Ryan that at this point I don’t see much reason a trailer is gonna change much when we’re gettibg descriptions about them and what is going on in them. The only difference is to me is that we can attach a face to each of the cringey prices of dialogue 

Again, because it's a debate about what something actually means. You can twist anything to mean anything, I could say this movie is a live adaptation of Sonic X because sonic is from a different planet. People aren't too fond of hearing that it isn't the anthem they argue that it is. 

Edit: this is an off topic discussion, so this is my last post about it. Please stop asking and google it

2 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

I really don't know why anyone thought it'd look significantly different, if at all. 

That was from a merchandise style guide. That stuff's about as final as it gets.

Because there was the follow up image of Sonic, and that muppet looking image of Sonic running towards the camera that looked to be from the film? Both of which look worse than the already ugly looking merch guide design I should add 

The merchandise guide one looks kind of cute tbh.  

I also find it ironic that no one's breaking up the tranq.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would still wait until we see the trailer for ourselves before commenting on the model being the same as the marketing guide. Again - a CGI model rendered to be realistic can look really different to an slightly animated illustration of said model where details can be more exaggerated to express a balance between cartoon and realistic.

Granted, the marketing model still isn't very good, it's just the least bad one we've gotten.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Because there was the follow up image of Sonic, and that muppet looking image of Sonic running towards the camera that looked to be from the film? Both of which look worse than the already ugly looking merch guide design I should add 

It's the same design. One is a (bad) drawing, the other is a (blurry) in-action snapshot and the third is an (off-screen) pre-rendered pose. 

That's just kind of how it works. Modern Sonic's illustrations, in-game models and pre-rendered models can look different, but follow the rules of the style guide. Same goes for Classic Sonic or Boom Sonic. When Mr Lussier said that's what Sonic looks like, then that means we have that two-eyed muscular Sonic. Simple.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Promotion 1

I actually remember liking how Chun-Li looked in MvCI's gameplay. Only in the cutscenes did something feel off. Since then, I've told myself that I shouldn't be judging a 3D model until I'm seeing it in the intended use and placement. 

Also, waiting this long to release a trailer is a yikes. It was literally trending for me and it's already dying down. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, CaptainRobo said:

This is an ironic twist from the last time Jim Carrey played a villain in a popular franchise. Given the last time was the Riddler, and Tommy Lee Jones' words to Jim Carrey was "I cannot stand you, I cannot sanction this buffoonery". 

Keeping in mind that the same man who said he can't sanction this buffoonery is this guy:

Still, it's nice to see Jim's second try at a villain role like this has him alongside some good co-stars who enjoy being with him.

Y'all really gonna forget Count Olaf?

oKIAOuo.jpg

When I heard that Jim Carrey was going to be Robotnik, this is immediately what came to my mind.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, Indigo Rush said:

Y'all really gonna forget Count Olaf?

oKIAOuo.jpg

When I heard that Jim Carrey was going to be Robotnik, this is immediately what came to my mind.

I’ve never seen the Unfortunate Events movie so that one totally slipped my mind lol. Doesn’t help it’s been overshadowed by Netflix’s show.

3 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I’ve never seen the Unfortunate Events movie so that one totally slipped my mind lol. Doesn’t help it’s been overshadowed by Netflix’s show.

As an Unfortunate Events fan, I'd say it's very helpful indeed...

3 minutes ago, FFWF said:

As an Unfortunate Events fan, I'd say it's very helpful indeed...

Seriously. The Netflix show is the dream for adaptations of longrunning book series, versus the kind of chopped-up and blended mess that was the film (which I actually kind of still enjoy but whatever).

• Thumbs Up 1

I do not like what it sounds like this movie is. It sounds like one of those movies that you watch, then can't remember about the details the next day.

Call me a Sonic fan who can't handle change or whatever, I stayed positive during Sonic's worst moments. Sonic Boom, I accepted with open arms, it looked decent. Sonic Forces, I thought looked like a return to form (other than Classic Sonic). But this film, I just can't bring myself to be excited, because there's nothing to be excited for. There is no essence of Sonic in this. There is a soul in this film, just not Sonic's.

Bring on the trailer, because I want to see what this is. Not out of excitement, but out of the need to finally get this film out of my mind, for me to know what this really is.

• Thumbs Up 2