Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I'm highly inclined to feel that any film will indeed be Boom-based. Boom is a reboom of the franchise in all but name.

What makes the article seem fake is that for one, SEGA would never make Sonic "dark and edgy" or live-action. That would not only drive away the target audience, but it would also ruin the blur's image. Now what makes this article so obviously fake is that is says it's been confirmed. Confirmed by who? A 10 year old boy? A guy working on the film? It doesn't say. And not only that, it states it's being made by Colombia Pictures. We already know very well that Sony Animation were the ones who registered the domain, so it's highly unlikely, no- impossible for Colombia Pictures to be producing the film.

• Thumbs Up 1

It’s recently been confirmed that a movie adaptation of SONIC THE HEDGEHOG is in development at Columbia Pictures, with the studio going for a dark, edgy version skewed towards older audiences! NOT ONLY this, but the studio plans to make it a mix of live-action and animation, allowing the much loved character to really meld with reality.

So assuming this rumor/source has actual merit (which I highly doubt), Sony is basically making Sonic The Hedgehog 2006: The Movie.

9acf46eba879705e9ff0f3c7a288cb88.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm inclined to think that they won't do anything that could risk tarring the Boom relaunch by assocation.

Well, one month isn't a long time in the scheme of things. This information could easily be old, if you were to believe it to be true in the first place. But it sounds fake to me anyway, not least because skewing any Sonic media to older audiences flies in the face of everything SEGA has been doing for the past few years and trounces over the very point of launching the Sonic Boom brand.

That, and I can't see SEGA taking Sonic down the dark route again. Unleashed, Colours, Generations, Lost World, Boom, etc.

But on the subject of Sonic having a dark side;

BjRK43eCQAA7Qxo.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I really don't know why Tapatalk decided to double post this over an hour after I posted originally... Could it be deleted, please?

Yeah, seriously, until new legitimate information comes out that says otherwise, I'm calling shenanigans.

...Okay, I'm never one to cry afoul anytime anything regarding Sonic is announced, be it games, TV shows, or what have you, but I've gotta say that I'm with the majority here calling bullshit on this whole thing. It sounds like something that SEGA might have allowed during the "Dark Age of Sonic", especially around the time of Sonic '06, but really, now: "darker & edgier to appeal to an older crowd"? "Fusion of live action & CGI"? This sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen!

That being said; I'm not against the idea of a movie like this. If this is something that SEGA has allowed and is actually in the works, then I'll hold off judgement until I see the final product as I always do. But until we get more information & SEGA themselves confirm this as being real, then I'm gonna assume this is fake and not worry about it. But if it is, then let's hope it sticks to the source material.

*COUGH*not likely*COUGH*

• 2 weeks later...

A huge bombshell was potentially dropped by The Tracking Board, a reputable Hollywood insider site, a few days ago. According to their inside sources, a Sonic feature film is currently in development at Columbia Pictures, with Sega financing the project. Major points from the article are reproduced below:

It’s recently been confirmed that a movie adaptation of SONIC THE HEDGEHOG is in development at Columbia Pictures, with the studio going for a dark, edgy version skewed towards older audiences! NOT ONLY this, but the studio plans to make it a mix of live-action and animation, allowing the much loved character to really meld with reality. 

Original Films and SEGA are onboard to finance, with Neal Moritz and Toby Ascher producing. Hannah Minghella and Foster Driver are overseeing the project as executives at Columbia.

The only thing to do now is find a writer for the project, and an awesome shortlist has already been put together with some real heavy hitters:

Brad Bird (“Incredibles, “”Wall-E,” “Brave,” “Toy Story 2,” “Up”)
Wernick & Reese (“Deadpool,” “Monsters Inc,” “Zombieland,” “GI Joe Retaliation”)
David Berenbaum (“The Spiderwick Chronicles,” “Elf”)
Phil Johnston (“Wreck it Ralph” and “Nebraska”)

This project currently in development... ... will bring an entirely new edge to the story, revealing the darker side of the blue hedgehog. Someone at Columbia is either a huge fan of the hedgehog themselves, or they just have a really good sense of the current market. Either way we are not complaining, as the movie could be a really big hit if development continues in this direction.

I think this was proven to be false. Like, ages ago.

I mean seriously, Sonic Team/Sega likely will not be doing dark and edgy Sonic stuff, certainly not after the disasters that were Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic '06.

Columbia is a subsidiary of Sony Pictures Entertainment, which fits right along with the other thread we had of Sony registering the domain name. As such, there's probably more to it than just rumor, but until something is outright confirmed I'm just going to merge this with the original topic.

EDIT: Also, live-action/animation is a bogus direction. Only redeemable if you get Brad Bird (but he's working on Incredibles 2 so lolz). Sony stahp.

• 4 weeks later...

So Sony has registered domains for BioShock as well...

Why is this relevant to Sonic?

Well, to date, all five confirmed films - Last of Us, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Heavenly Sword, and Gran Turismo - have been Sony-exclusive games. So while this is unconfirmed... it reinforces the idea they're looking beyond the Sony-exclusive brand. Sonic thus becomes VERY viable as an option. He already fits the line of platforming adventure furries with Ratchet and Sly, for bonus points.

Overall... I have more reason to be optimistic. They clearly are trying to cover all the bases. I think the only reason we haven't heard of Nintendo films is that Nintendo's pretty protective of its brand.

Are you guys just not sure if this is Sonmanic/Aknotholeresident trying to hog at the domains and attention to make his Sonic movie?

Joking aside, as long as it isn't too much like what we've seen turned into movie format (e.g Mario) and probably more on what Sonic the Hedgehog OVA came out like, then yeah, I can do that. I'd actually like to see the Sonic Boom style of animation, but the character designing, eh. Let 'em decide, fellas.

Sadly, I think I'll regret ever saying "let 'em decide" sometime down the line, if this is legitimate.

We're sure. They're registered by Sony's official domain registrar. These domains are legitimately registered by Sony, if nothing else.

It just remains to be seen if anything comes of it.

If this is true then the only thing that'll suck is LIVE ACTION. WHY? Just hire the japanese guys who did unleashed and make the movie FULL CG. Why must things be in LIVE ACTION to be worth a fucking damn? What happened to animation being you know... ANIMATION. As far as the dark shit goes, I don't care. Again this is if it's TRUE. If it's written well why NOT? Shit it's not like sonic games haven't had some fucked up shit in them anyway. I don't care how you spin it.. blowing up the planet is DARK. I think as long as whatever it is just rolls with it and not try to slam dunk all the dark or light or whatever down our closed openings and doesn't take itself SO SERIOUS then it could work. 

Again this is if ANY of that info is even true. Tho for the record..... I want a fucking GOOD, action adventure, awesome sonic movie damnmit! >:o make it happen SONY. 

I'm strongly inclined to think that if Sony's involved in any way, it's likely to be pure CGI. As I recall all the confirmed films are pure CGI, which lends hope that the same direction will go with this one.

Of course, it remains to be seen exactly how much of a hand Sony would have in a Sonic film. Would it merely be distributing it and such, or would it have an active hand in it?

I'm hopeful for the latter. It looks so far like they're making all the right movie choices in terms of design. Not trying to turn humans into furries for Ratchet or Sly Cooper makes me feel they should probably handle Sonic as well.

Never mind the fact Dennis Hopper is tragically no longer among us to star as Eggman, complete with cartoonish proportions and mustache.

So, assuming it's even real, this movie's supposed to be live action/animation with a darker and edgier tone? When I saw that, thought of Roger Rabbit.

A live action Sonic movie. This, I'd have to see. Even if it sucks, I have to see this.

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually really like the idea of CGI/Live action. If executed properly, who knows? Not that I'm expecting anything along the lines of Roger Rabbit, but you never know- CGI has advanced so far it's pretty much expected. If they can successfully take us to the world of Sonic, then they've done it. If not, I hope it isn't as bad as A:TLA.

I hope they'll use the game cast..