Awoo.

VGX 2013 Thread of Over-hype and Bad Hosting

Detective Shadzter

...No, Tearaway lost. The handheld game of the year is The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

Really....aw well; both are wonderful games and even with Tearaway being as great as it is, a true sequel to the classic that is A Link to the Past that nails everything that was great about the original and adding some really great changes to the Zelda formula that make it better is something that deserves an award :).

Still, I wonder if Tearaway will get any awards from the many gaming sites online when they post their gaming awards; it really is a special game and it would be a shame for it to be ignored like other platforming classics like Psychonuts :(.

Oh? Ah.

I haven't actually played Link Between Worlds so I can't comment on whether that win was deserved or not.

Oh? Ah.

I haven't actually played Link Between Worlds so I can't comment on whether that win was deserved or not.

I didn't play it either, but from the glowing reviews all over the web and the fact that its a Zelda game, I have a felling it should get some award for its quality :).

So aside from Cranky Kong, was there anything else of value in the VGX?

• Thumbs Up 1

Cranky Kong has value?

Metro was robbed. Fuckin' robbed. Bioshock Infinite may be many things, but a great shooter it is not.

Two Titanfall trailers, No Man's Sky announcement and debut trailer, a brand new Destiny trailer, a wee bit of Quantum Break footage and some Broken Age.

Two Titanfall trailers, No Man's Sky announcement and debut trailer, a brand new Destiny trailer, a wee bit of Quantum Break footage and some Broken Age.

Hmm, not bad.

Cranky Kong has value?

Cranky's certainly in no short supply of value (by the powers of the badass grandpa trope and whatnot) and even if he didn't have any before, compared to the bulk of the VGX he was a fucking crowning jewel admist a sea of typical VGX-crement. cool.png

If I'm a company looking to drum up sales and hype for my floundering console by doing something at an awards show that's getting a decent bit of attention, I would think that I would want to show off a whole new never-before-seen game, or perhaps just tease one, or even show a trailer teasing a few of the next year's big releases (already announced and previously unseen). Announcing a new character in a second/third tier* game which is almost out seems, well, rather a redundant move, likely to demoralize everybody other than those who are really into the game in question (in this case, a less than vocal minority of fans).

This was a good platform from which to get people excited for the Wii U in the new year. It was not taken advantage of. Reggie, I am disappoint.

*Personal opinion here. I know some consider DK first tier.

• Thumbs Up 6

Reggie DID tease one, though. Metroid. People were too busy raging over the obvious Cranky Kong announcement rather than the bit where he was wearing a Samus pin and almost let it slip that a Metroid was in development.

Reggie DID tease one, though. Metroid. People were too busy raging over the obvious Cranky Kong announcement rather than the bit where he was wearing a Samus pin and almost let it slip that a Metroid was in development.

Indirectly teasing something people actually want to see isn't good marketing either. Sorry.

He got death threats after hearing about a possible Metroid: The Other M sequel reveal so he had to zip it.

Indirectly teasing something people actually want to see isn't good marketing either. Sorry.

Not saying it was, but did people seriously expect them to show off their big guns at the abortion that is the VGX? Tropical Freeze is literally their first Wii U game of 2014, so of course they were going to show it. I mean, look at what else was shown. Except for the Indie title, shit we already knew about and an enhanced port of Tomb Raider. Whoop-dee-shit.

Not saying it was, but did people seriously expect them to show off their big guns at the abortion that is the VGX? Tropical Freeze is literally their first Wii U game of 2014, so of course they were going to show it. I mean, look at what else was shown. Except for the Indie title, shit we already knew about and an enhanced port of Tomb Raider. Whoop-dee-shit.

You can frame it any way you want to. Point is, the Wii U was dying and this was their chance to show something off to the mainstream audience and they failed.

I really don't think the VGX is as important as you think, but whatever.

It's not a central thing, no, but it's an opportunity. One they could have taken advantage of.

And do what? Waste whatever momentum they would have gotten by showing off the new Zelda, and the supposed Metroid, at a point where they're not in the ether? The only other thing they could have really done is show Smash. Whenever they've shown off something too early, people just get overhyped and get even more pissed off than with this.

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, it would probably be not the smartest idea to waste an "epic" surprise at a crappy event.

Then if that's the case, they shouldn't have gone at all.

Who goes all the way to an event to show off fucking Cranky Kong?

• Thumbs Up 1

Simple reason for that. Nintendo has a habit of pushing their games wherever they can now. Even if it's the VGX, they might as well show off the next product they want you to know about.

• Thumbs Up 1

Simple reason for that. Nintendo has a habit of pushing their games wherever they can now. Even if it's the VGX, they might as well show off the next product they want you to know about.

Nintendo had the opportunity to show off its upcoming games to an audience which normally steers clear of them. All they could show off is frickin' Cranky Kong like its something we've all been waiting for, when we could've been getting new glimpses at X, Bayonetta, or hell, a new game. Crazy, I know. 

I have no doubt that DK will be a good game, but what a waste of time to show that.

What system(s) is it going to be on?

Unknown at this point, but I expect at least a PC release.

• Thumbs Up 2