Awoo.

Lost World: Discussion, Impressions and Fan Reviews

Carbuncle

it feels Classic level speed to me really. Think Classic Sonic in Generations without the spin dash and a bit faster.

So Lost World Wii U really is that slow?

Dang. sad.png

That's still much faster than most other platformers on the market.

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree that Sonic's running speed should have been a lot faster. On the other hand, I actually think the Spindash is fine, though I wish charging it had a more noticeable effect on how fast it goes, unless I'm just doing something wrong...

Oh, and parkour would have been a lot more satisfying in some areas if it was a lot faster-paced.

It's stuff like this that makes me wish the Skills system from Generations was in this game, there'd probably be skills for faster running/spindashing and parkour and stuff, thus giving the player options depending on how fast they want Sonic to be in different situations. idk, just an idea

Edited by ElementofChaos
  • Thumbs Up 1

This games feel like a undercooked hodgepodge trying to appeal to classic Sonic fans, modern Sonic fans, AND Mario fans all at the same time.

Eh, I think the speed complaints are overblown. Sure, it could (and probably should by the next game) be faster, but those speedruns? Definitely fast enough, and incredibly satisfying to do, much more then the boostboostboost speedrunning in Generations. Speed isn't everything. 

I think that the run function should be outright removed and Sonic should just accelerate to his run button speed normally, then I think the speed would be fine. He is a bit sluggish while walking. Spindash could stand to be faster if you charge it up for a while too. 

But overall I'd say the complaint is overblown IMO. 

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 2

The only thing that really kills flow is bouncing on enemies. Seriously, bouncing is supposed to keep your momentum, not loose it. That's the whole point of choosing bouncing over homing attack.

Other than that, though, this game flows like a dream.

Edited by The Deleter

Eh, I think the speed complaints are overblown. Sure, it could (and probably should by the next game) be faster, but those speedruns? Definitely fast enough, and incredibly satisfying to do, much more then the boostboostboost speedrunning in Generations. Speed isn't everything.

If the top running speed in a Sonic game feels slower than the top running speed in a Mario game, then no, it's not fast enough.

I don't see how it's any more satisfying than boosting; running in Lost World works pretty much the exact same way: you continuously hold down a button to move at your max speed.  There's just as little challenge to maintaining it as boosting.  Sure, continuously running at mach 1 may not be the ideal way to achieve satisfying movement dynamics, but in a game where I'm playing as the so-called "fastest thing alive," I'd rather be able to run too fast than too slow.

• Thumbs Up 1

If the top running speed in a Sonic game feels slower than the top running speed in a Mario game, then no, it's not fast enough.

I don't see how it's any more satisfying than boosting; running in Lost World works pretty much the exact same way: you continuously hold down a button to move at your max speed.  There's just as little challenge to maintaining it as boosting.  Sure, continuously running at mach 1 may not be the ideal way to achieve satisfying movement dynamics, but in a game where I'm playing as the so-called "fastest thing alive," I'd rather be able to run too fast than too slow.

Alright, I know for a fact that that's BS. SLW is not that slow. 

And even in a game about a mach speed hedgehog, I'd rather go too slow then too fast because in the end the game is a fast PLATFORMER, not just a fast game. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, I don't know where the "slower than mario complaints are coming from" he definitely moves faster in this game and I honestly want some of you to play this game and a mario game side by side and see if that statement is still true cause sonic definitely doesn't run that slow.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, I don't know where the "slower than mario complaints are coming from" he definitely moves faster in this game and I honestly want some of you to play this game and a mario game side by side and see if that statement is still true cause sonic definitely doesn't run that slow.

Especially when you compare it to Galaxy, which is what so many people compare it to.

Mario is in no way faster. Not even close. Anyway after finishing Lava Mountain I would say the game is very good. I had fun with it all the way until Lava Mountain actually, though I did appreciate the difficulty and atmosphere. I can see why it is divisive though, because it takes patience to get into the way the game feels, and even then some stll might not be able to get into it because it is very alien. Despite that, in the best levels the controls and system really shine.

• Thumbs Up 9

Finally had the time to form up an opinion of what I think but it turned into a novel of a review. XD

I don't expect agreement with everything. In fact I'd be shocked if I got even one agreement with a single sentence in this. Either way I reviewed both versions of the game, having played both. Feel free to check it out whenever.

http://sonicparadox.net/topic/6732738/

There's no theater mode in the Wii U version?

Oh screw you Sonic Team. You give me a story I actually enjoy and then make it impossible to re-watch it? The hell is this bullcrap? D:

• Thumbs Up 2

Gotta admit, the special stages in the 3ds version  are actually pretty fun and the controls aren't too hard to get down either, heck ive already gotten 3 of the emeralds with 2 s-ranks. Only thing I hate is how you have to turn your whole body to move, it would've been better if they made it circle pad controlled so I could do these at anytime instead of only being able to do them at home.

• Thumbs Up 1

Feeling slower than Mario is probably a comparative thing that is more to do with expectations from how fast one expects Sonic to be COMPARED to Mario.

Put one hand in hot water (Mario) and one hand in ice water (Sonic Unleashed Trilogy) and then dip both hands into lukewarm water (Sonic Lost World), and tell me that the hand that is used to the Sonic Unleashed water doesn't feel like the Lost World water is actually Mario water.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just played generations and Mario Galaxy within the last few weeks and I don't think LW is comparative to Galaxy in terms of speed. :|   Anyway, SSF. Nice review.

Well I have just finished Lost World Wii U. And heres my

Opinions of...

Story

Not that bad. Great to see banter between Sonic, Tails, and Eggman, as well as conflict between Sonic and Tails that kinda tests their friendship. I was a little disappointed that the Zeti were kinda inconclusive. I mean yeah, they were defeated but, at least show some sort of "Man, we lost. Next time, Sonic ours.)"

Controls

Ok...now a lot of people went nuts over this and...I can kinda see why. The control setup is something to get used to. I didn't realize the homing attack charges up in power until I was fighting Zavok and I still have to get used to other techniques that I barely used. (Parkour, Spindash.) It's not hard to get down but...you just gotta practice that's all.

Bosses

The deadly six were not really a challenge...Ok, the first five weren't a challenge...Zavok can bite me. I got the patterns down quick and thus, took them all down with ease. Zavok took a little longer because I kept getting confused when trying to land the final strike. Giant Zavok is where things kinda let up, but that was still a nightmare. The final boss, not gonna lie, SUCKED A-S-S. It was too easy, too predictable, it was just a lame letdown. I guess it was the game's way of saying, "Yeah we put you through enough shit. This is a cakewalk."

and now for the one thing I have quite a complaint with...

Level Design

84331-Hurley-OH-MAN-gif-HIMYM-How-I-6kdC

Yeah, you saw this coming...Some levels, not that big of an issue. Others, I really got annoyed, angry, disappointed, ragequitty, or just flat out more interested in my homework. (Whoa...) Sky Road and Lava Mountain are the chief culprits here. I can't count how many lives I dumped on these stages. I mean good God man, I'm not a miracle worker. I'm not stressing because it's hard, it's because of bare knowledge on the controls and evilly designed stages just get me every time. Lava mountain was just a real brain lobe burster, and whoever made act 3 needs to be put on trial. Now what I do like about this game, re-playability. Collecting tons of the small animals and red rings is something I have left to do because this game was testing my shit. 

Overall.....

2500826-i_like_it.jpg

I deem it..Ok. Not too bad, not too good. Nothing to hate in 7 years, passable.

I give it Taz's pimp stamp of approval.

Someone get me a stamp gif because I'm pretty sure I'm pushing it with two pics....

Edit: Oh and the music's awesome. done.

Edited by Abominal Taz
  • Thumbs Up 2

So far, the only stage I despise is Tropical Coast Act 4, but I'd still play it over Planet Wisp Generations any day. And really, I only started hating speedrunning it.

Just finished Desert Ruins 2 on the 3DS  version. So I'll talk about each.

Desert Ruins 1:

I like Desert Ruins 1, but if there is one thing I didn't like it was that sandworm. My goodness was it confusing on where I needed to attack it. I would go for the head and I would either hit it or get hit. then I hit the bottom yellow ring and It kind of got me itched off that it wouldn't die quickly. And mind you I didn't mind and actually like the electric catakiller from Windy Hill. I found indigo asteroid wisp fun to control and play with. I like how some enemies require the indigo power to have a bigger ring to take them down.  I loved the semi-Mach speed section where Sonic had to dodge those cactus while going forward. And I loved the top view where you used the asteroid wisp to fight the giant sandworm, tornadoes, and motobugs. Overall I enjoyed this level

Desert Ruins 2:

Who cares about speed. This level was entertaining for me. Reminds me of Marble zone from Sonic 1 with the puzzle solving. I was very willing to sacrifice going fast for this level. Took me a little to make the ball stop in some of the switches.  Plus I loved playing an indoor sand level trope since its been a long time since I've  one of these level tropes. Overall I enjoyed this level, obviously  I will enjoy it more when I get the drill wisp and return to this stage. 

Edited by Dreamy Luigi

The only levels I particularly dislike are the snowball level for being kinda boring (I don't find it that hard, honestly), Sky Road Zone 3 + Tropical Coast ? because the "flying" controls are bad, and Lava Mountain's grinding level. And the last one's mostly because it was really annoying to get all the Red Rings in a Zone that's already difficult enough.

Lava Mountain Zone 3 is a butt, despite having cool atmosphere for the final stage,

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

Alright, I know for a fact that that's BS. SLW is not that slow.

I said it FEELS slower than Mario.  Sonic's core movement mechanics and level design create some minimum expectations that I don't have for Mario, so Sonic's issues are magnified.  There are so many ways SLW artificially slows down gameplay because it's afraid I'll hurt myself or miss something, like the abundance of locations where you have to find and kill every enemy to proceed (particularly planet with the giant pink Caterkillers where I basically have to wait patiently for 5-10 seconds to kill EACH of them), how sluggish he is when he turns around in 2D, and the stealth section with the robot owl.

And even in a game about a mach speed hedgehog, I'd rather go too slow then too fast because in the end the game is a fast PLATFORMER, not just a fast game.

What difference does the genre make?  When I hear Vanquish, I think fast shooter.  When I hear F-Zero, I think fast racer.  When I hear Sonic, I think fast platformer.  If they're going to play it safe and underplay "fast" part to make the "platformer" part work, they might as well just use a different franchise.

Edited by Stingray 64

Just finished the main story, minus getting all red rings and the bonus world. I have to say, I really liked this game!

• Gameplay was great. I'd love for Sonic Team to continue working with this way that Sonic moves and controls. I like the speed settings, spindashing, and the parkour. The parkour could be better, but it was good for a first try.
  • I liked the story. Definately better than Colors and Generations, IMO. Deadly Six are very cool.
  • Difficulty was high at times, sometimes unfair, but banking up to get 99 lives helped greatly. I would have never passed the later levels without doing so.
  • I actually liked the bosses. Despite being easy, they were fun.

Overall, a great game, probably a 7.5 or 8/10 in my book for the main part. The red rings may or may not be another story...

Well i finally got and beat the Wii U version.

Plot - Still sucks aside from 2 or 3 funny moments. Discoid did a fantastic job explaining why so i won't repeat what has been said already.

Controls - I honestly hate this control scheme. It's too complicated for a Sonic game. It feels so awkward and the complete lack of tutorials of any kind doesn't help. By the time i got somewhat used to them It was too late as the level design was too dickish to be enjoyable at that point. Oh and controlling the wisps through motion controls was so terrible it completely killed any enjoyment from using them.

Levels - OMG. This game is so horribly designed it's amazing. I will now go through the levels:

Windy Hill was classic Sonic fun even if still too Marioesque. Unfortunately like in the 3DS version it all goes downhill from there.

Desert Ruins was ok. I thought the mach speed stage was fun, though i still hate that annoying ink spitting robot.

Tropical Coast 1 was kinda fun, 2 was cool even if uninspired but godamn Zone 3 can go die in a carfire. Why are there so many instant kills? So suddenly rings only protect me from certain things? Also the timing required to hit the door opening switches is ridiculous.

Frozen Factory was just shit. Confusing level design, Shitty snowball stage and dick enemy attacks.

Silent Forest 1 is....eh....not bad i guess, but not very interesting either. Rails and basic platforming. Also why is there stealth in my Sonic game? How does it fit into the series theme of speedy platforming and why is it so unforgiving?

Sky Road...has slow platforming and annoying enemies...also why does it look exactly like Windy Hill except for zone 4? Did Sonic Team run out of ideas?

Lava Mountain is half boss rush half actual zones.Sigh....Lava Mountain 2.....I......Just Why?........

I could be more specific but honestly i don't want to spend more time thinking about it. The levels are full of confusing and dickish design choices. Combine that with the fact that the game doesn't give the player instructions on the mechanics or clues as to what hazards are coming, and you get an unfair and frustrating experience.

Bosses - They range from ok to terrible, just like in the 3DS version. I hate Zavok's fight in SR4 so much. Whoever thought this charged homing attack bullshit was a good idea should be fired for negligence. It rarely works for me.

Graphics - They look pretty nice, even if the level tropes are bland.

Also seriously? Required animal grinding? Yeah it's nowhere near as bad as medal grinding but why does Sonic Team keep finding the need to use this bullshit way of padding the game out? It's not needed.

Also like Blue Blood said, this game shares Sonic 4's biggest problem: It doesn't have an identity of its own. 80% of this game is a collection of stuff riping off 3D Mario games. The game is so slow too.

Overall, as far as I'm concerned both versions are terrible. Both versions have a metascore of around 60? That's too nice imo. This game is a 4/10 for me.

I'm sorry but i guess i am just gonna be a LW hater. I seriously hope the next game actually has an identity, focus and good design.

Edited by Noctis Caelum
  • Thumbs Up 4

Silent Forest 1 is....eh....not bad i guess, but not very interesting either. Rails and basic platforming. Also why is there stealth in my Sonic game? How does it fit into the series theme of speedy platforming and why is it so unforgiving?

I do have to ask... what stealth are you on about? There's a part when you have to avoid a searchlight, but all is does is scroll from left to right as you do. If that qualifies as stealth, then so does DR4.

Not that I'm defending the stage in any way, but it really isn't stealth.