Awoo.

Would you say you're OBSESSED with Sonic?

SnipSnap

My dorkdom is kind of divided between Sonic, Pokemon, Winx Club, and MLP (plus several older cartoons no one really cares about anymore). Sometimes Sonic is on my mind, other times pokemon. So I wouldn't call myself a super mega fan of Sonic. Nor am I a sonic expert either. I mean, there are still a couple classic sonic games I have yet to play. Plus I am a bit of a sonic game maverick. I fool around in the game instead of trying to get good scores. Sometimes I stop and look at the scenery or the music. And there are times I enjoy the thrill of sonic running fast and finish a level way too fast without trying to collect coins or anything else. To me I try to enjoy the games I play instead of stressing about good scores.

I am obsessed with the music of Sonic, and video game music in general. Sometimes I more look forward to the soundtracks then the actual games. Like with lost worlds I am thinking things like, "When will the soundtrack come out on iTunes? I hope crush 40 sings a new songwub.png " instead of what normal sonic fans get excited about (the actual game). Im sure I am going to love lost worlds when I play it, I am just getting hyped up over the music instead of the game at the moment. I am even guilty of getting Sega soundtracks off of Itunes for games I have not even played yet. Someday nights into dreams I shall play your game but until then I shall listen to your soundtrack again and again (BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!biggrin.png ).

Edited by Neon The Hedgehog
  • Thumbs Up 1

Gonna echo what Verte and Sapphire said and say that I'm moreso passionate about Sonic as opposed to being obsessed.

An obsession is a fixation on anything to a point that it prevents you from performing your daily tasks in a normal manner, and can really hinder your lifestyle. For example, if I made a point to own every possible system to play Sonic games on at the expense of money which I need for food and rent, that would be an unhealthy obsession. I don't think I've ever gone that far.

Now, I do spend plenty of my free time thinking about the series in general. Future game ideas, how a character could be developed, new mechanics, ways to implement old ideas into a new era, etc. I feel that I can spend time simply thinking about Sonic frequently without running the risk of becoming obsessive. I would never hold it above other more important things in my life, such as my friends, family and my Faith. 

I'm definitely a fan, a serious one at that. But then again, I've never attended a convention dedicated to Sonic, nor have I immediately dished out my hard-earned cash for a new game without careful consideration. 

It's all about maintaining a healthy balance. 

Well, In that light, I am not obsessed. I am , however, a super fan of the game, so I do tend to say "I am obsessed" with a slightly different meaning than obsessed really has. I guess I am overly passionate about Sonic games!

• Thumbs Up 1

Heck yes.

I flew to St. Louis, a city I have no real knowledge of or interest in (no offense to residents!) to attend Sonic Boom 2013, and then I turned around and immediately roomed in Anaheim, California for two nights to attend Sonic Boom West. I've spent God knows how many hours trying to help set up Sonic meetups all around the world in recent weeks, as part of my desire to see fans everywhere have a place they could go to besides the internet to converse with their fellow diehards.

I often find it very hard to talk about subjects besides Sonic; it's what compelled me to forcefully expand my game collection last Christmas just so I could be less bland.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've always liked the cartoons (SatAM and AOSTH) and I enjoy playing most of the games. I have rekindled my love of Sonic over the last year and a half, and I will always be a fan of the Blue Blur. Sonic is only one of many game franchises I enjoy playing. 

I'm also a SEGA fan. I think it's exciting seeing what SEGA are currently doing, and what they have planned for the Sonic brand. I am very nostalgic about the series. The games in the 90's were (and still are) magic. 

Obsessed? Nope. I am a proud Sonic fan. 

Edited by -Bender-

Ah, I can see the confusion in my wording.>.<

I was actually not being sarcastic.

Ok, ALSO, I can't see that you're obsessed until you give me some details that could qualify you in that level.

Like this:

Do you wear Sonic shirts in public?

How much Sonic merchandise do you have?

How often do you play Sonic games?

What about your room?

You computer desktop?

Do you find yourself talking about him at times?

And other stuff that I'm missing.

Edited by speedyblue334

I don't consider myself obsessed with any fandom, or indeed, with any thing, at all. Obsession is sometimes playfully used in a hyperbolic way to denote passionate interest in a hobby, but even in that context, I don't like using it as a self-descriptor.

I like the Sonic games, and Dr. Eggman in particular is my favorite fictional character. It's all lots of fun, but at the end of the day, it's still just a hobby. Anyone who is truly obsessed with a hobby - to the detriment of their career, education, relationships, hygiene, and personal responsibility - really shouldn't be proud of that.

• Thumbs Up 3

Honestly, the reason I hang around a Sonic forum so much is partly because I'm not obsessed with the little blue guy. That sounds stupid, but bear with me.

Any of you see how flustered I get over whatever Zelda or Metroid mishap may come up? I'm a giant fan of both of those, so when something either idiotic or brilliant comes along in those series, I feel it a thousand times more keenly than with any other. I may like both of them for perfectly logical reasons (or not, depending on who you ask), but because they lie so close to the vest you're much more likely to receive one very polar reaction from me. It's rather terrible and childish, I admit, but I would be lying if I said I did otherwise.

I hang around Sonic because, as a series I simply enjoy instead of cherish, I can weigh its strengths and weakness with less bias, provide more varied and popular discussion, and overall just sit back and enjoy talking about games with less stress. Of course, I also have the benefit of being in a lovely community, so that has its share of the blame as well. :P

• Thumbs Up 4

Obsessed with Sonic? Me? Noooo...

Let's think about that... I have Sonic T-shirts, a plushy and some other random merchandise stuff in my room. Adding to it, my walls are pretty much covered in Sonic pictures I painted myself. I draw Sonic stuff. I write insanely long stories about that hedgehog and his pals. I have almost all the games. Heck, I sometimes dream of Sonic stuff.

No, I really am not obsessed with Sonic at all. ph34r.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I would probably say that I'm obsessed...

• I have a list of Sonic games that I need to buy (and every time I buy one, I cross it from the list),
  • I'm currently buying tons of Archie Sonic comics (and I have a subscription to Sonic The Hedgehog, and soon hopefully Universe),
  • Own a Sonic backpack, 
  • Have some Sonic action figures that I had since elementary school
  • Own many of the Sonic games (probably own majority of the games that has been released, including digital titles)
  • Got a Genesis and Dreamcast to play Sonic 1/2/3/Adventure/Shuffle/Adventure 2 (and Jet Grind/Set Radio)
  • My friend imported Sonic The Hedgehog CD 20th Anniversary Soundtrack for me (never opened it)
  • And I have a Facebook photo album dedicated to all the Sonic games/comics/whatever that I buy (I just took a picture of Sonic The Hedgehog comic #0 and uploaded it to the album today)

I just love the franchise so much. I do, however, play other games other than Sonic (BlazBlue, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Shin Megami Tensei, Fire Emblem, few other SEGA games), buy other stuff other than Sonic, and talk about other things other than Sonic. Many people who knew me in High School would call me that Sonic fan, but at the same time, they would call me that Anime fan because of how much I love to buy/watch Anime. 

Honestly, when I think about it, I haven't really played a Sonic game in awhile. Lately just been playing Wonderful 101, or other RPGS that I need to finish... 

Edit

Ok, ALSO, I can't see that you're obsessed until you give me some details that could qualify you in that level.

Like this:

When I saw this, I remembered that I had Sonic shirts/hats and wear them in public.

Edited by Sonic CD

Obsessed with Sonic? Me? Noooo...

Let's think about that... I have Sonic T-shirts, a plushy and some other random merchandise stuff in my room. Adding to it, my walls are pretty much covered in Sonic pictures I painted myself. I draw Sonic stuff. I write insanely long stories about that hedgehog and his pals. I have almost all the games. Heck, I sometimes dream of Sonic stuff.

No, I really am not obsessed with Sonic at all. ph34r.png

I can't tell what you're trying to say...

Like this:

How much Sonic merchandise do you have?

How often do you play Sonic games?

What about your room?

You computer desktop?

Do you find yourself talking about him at times?

And other stuff that I'm missing.

Going by this quote... I'd say without a doubt, passionate about my enjoyment and knowledge of the series, but in no way obsessed.

I have like two Sonic shirts which I do wear in public sometimes; very occasionally, though. I have quite the bit of Sonic merchandise, but then again... that's just being passionate. I don't actually play Sonic games that often; unless it's the classics, Generations or Rush Adventure. Those ones I revisit all the time; but the others... meh.

My room has the two posters of the main cast stuck on the walls; this one

Sonic_Cast.jpg

and this one;

sonic_cast_maxi_poster_raw.jpg

but that's it in terms of wall decor unless you count a clock with Sonic's 06 face on it that doesn't even work (hey, just like the game!) or three road signs I collected which form ↑ & ↓ & ↺ ("up n' down n' all around from Speed Highway, in case you're not aware).

My computer desktop...

rDX6phg.png

Heh... guilty as charged, really. But then again; that's just being passionate. I mean, come on, who doesn't have their favourite series or whatever as a wallpaper.

Do I find myself talking about him? Very occasionally; I hate admitting my enjoyment of the series in real life in fear of being considered "childish" and shit. Sometimes a subtle reference here or there like a Sonic 4 physics joke or "STRANGE ISN'T IT", but that's about it. xD

All in all... not obsessed, but very passionate.

Edited by Super Spindash

I'd say I used to be obsessed, though that's undoubtedly died down over the years. I certainly have my fair share of Sonic memorabilia, and I make an effort to get the new games and comics when they come out, but it's been such a natural part of my life for so long that I do it more out of tradition than out of obsession. That's not to say I don't like what I'm playing/reading, just that I'm not superdy-duper excited whenever the next comic or game comes out.

I will say I get giddy whenever a new soundtrack CD comes out though. Love me some Sonic tunes.

I definitely used to be when I was a kid, but absolutely not anymore, no. I still care about and enjoy the games, but not really anything else. I used to doodle pictures of Sonic whenever I was bored in class, but I haven't actually done that in a while. Not on purpose, but I just don't really think about Sonic much anymore.

I spend a lot more time on NeoGAF than SSMB nowadays, I have a girlfriend now, I'm playing other games, and I'm finally in college. I have other stuff on my mind and feel like I've outgrown my enormous amount of passion for Sonic to an extent. I don't keep up with the news anymore, I'm not a living encyclopedia of knowledge like I used to be (well, at least not to the same extent anyway), and I just don't care to talk about Sonic much anymore.

Maybe a future game will excite me into caring again, but I can't imagine I'd ever regress into an obsession again. There are better things to devote myself to.

No, I wouldn't say that I'm obsessed. I'm just a casual fan in most senses of the term.

I do own copies of most of the main series games, but I never buy new consoles just to play new Sonic games, which is the reason why I've never played Sonic Colours and won't be getting Lost World (even stuff like the Mega Drive and the Dreamcast, I mainly bought for non-Sonic games, even though I did end up buying most of the main-series Sonic games for those platforms anyway).

I don't collect merchandise as a rule, but I have a few bits and pieces, such as a few shirts and figures, as well as one of those yearbooks by Grandreams

The only Sonic cartoon I like is AoStH, and even then, I haven't watched every episode.

I rarely use Sonic desktop wallpapers or screensavers or anything like that. 

However, I do perform other actions that may count as obsessive. For example, I'll go to sandbox.yoyogames.com, search "Sonic" and go through all the results, even playing the ones that look awful, because I like stuff that's so bad it's funny.

And despite what I said about not buying old Sega systems for the Sonic games, in fairness it was the Sonic games that introduced me to those systems (albeit via emulation to begin with) 

There was a time I was obsessed with the Archie Sonic comics back in the 90's to mid 00's. I read and purchased every issue up to 2005. But after that I sort of fell out of love with the series. The comics, to me anyway, was getting progressively worse and the games weren't really that interesting.

Now, I would say my obsession is fairly moderate. I can say that I'm a fan once more but I don't have that same crazy obsession I did back then. But recently, my interests in the series has really grown thanks to this forum. Now I know who to blame when I become unhealthily obsessed with the blue blur.

I think my love for Sonic is getting higher...

Because now I listen to Sonic music whenever I use this computer, and now Sonic is my wallpaper for my new iPad... and I learning to draw him and other characters...

Oh no, I hope I don't end up like Sonikku-Kiah...

EDIT: Actually, who cares if I AM obsessed? NOW I already am, but I guess I do not care about whether or not I am.

Sorry, Sonikku-Kiah!

Edited by SnipSnap
  • Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't say that I am currently obsessed with Sonic, but I admit that I was obsessed with Sonic in my younger years back when I was 7 years old up until I was 11. I loved the games and eventually I had Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic Spinball in my collection and played them all fairly often. I really enjoyed the games but it was the cartoons that really got me into Sonic, especially Sonic SatAM. I was so into the cartoon that I would record the episodes and watch them repeatedly every day. I also started drawing, painting, crafting Sonic and the SatAM characters (as well as Knuckles) with whatever materials I could get my hands on. Any assignment in school that required me to draw a picture I would incorporate Sonic in it somehow. But my main thing that I was doing in regards to Sonic was writing fanfictions. And I wrote a lot of them, be it short or long stories, with or without pictures.

I was so into writing my fanfics that I would sneak a pen and paper in my pocket when I had to go outside to the park to play. I would sit behind a huge tree and I would continue my writing instead of playing with my siblings and friends. Then I bought a mini blue flashlight that I used at nighttime to continue writing my stories after my family was asleep, so I could write in peace. Any money that I earned went towards buying writing paper, black ink pens and batteries for my mini blue flashlight. Some nights during the weekend I would pull an all-nighter as I would watch Sonic SatAM followed by more writing. I forget how many stories I had written, but I had hundreds of pages of writings and my drawings all based on Sonic. To say I was obsessed with Sonic is an understatement, as I admit I was definitely obsessed with Sonic. My then obsession with Sonic was nipped in the bud by my father, with the consequences of his actions causing me to leave the Sonic series for 15 years.  

Now that I am back and into Sonic again, my efforts to make up for lost time have deemed me borderline obsessed with Sonic, as I am spending a lot of time learning about and engaging in different facets of the Sonic series and currently collecting a ton of Sonic merchandise as well. That said though, I'd say what I am doing is along the lines of being passionate about all things Sonic while trying to play catch up, to be honest as opposed to being obsessed. I am definitely an involved and passionate Sonic fan, but all my free time isn't consumed by all things Sonic like it used to be when I was younger. My current involvement with Sonic and love for the series does not inhibit me from doing things that I have to do as a near 30 year old adult and even from other things that I want to do. It's all about balance. smile.png

I think my love for Sonic is getting higher...

Because now I listen to Sonic music whenever I use this computer, and now Sonic is my wallpaper for my new iPad... and I learning to draw him and other characters...

Oh no, I hope I don't end up like Sonikku-Kiah...

What do you mean you don't want to end up like me? I'm awesome! But seriously, in what sense you don't want to end up like me? With the fact that I became harmlessly obsessed with Sonic in my younger years or are you referring to the not wanting that to happen to you?  I'm just wondering what you meant as I am aware that you read my story about that.

Edited by Sonikku_Kiah
  • Thumbs Up 3

I would say I'm definitely obsessed, without a question. A lot of my thoughts are turned to Sonic, 75 % of songs on my Ipod are Sonic related, and I give a lot of thought and detail into the story elements and aspects of the characters. I also make an effort to replay his games every once in a while, whether I like them or not.

Sonic is my favorite video game series of all time, and he was one of my biggest early childhood icons(still is today). Am I ashamed that I'm obsessed with Sonic, and it's a big part of my life? Nope, not at all. 

I have quite a few obsessions, but Sonic is unfortunately not one of them. As it is, I'm really only a fan of the Genesis games and resulting tv shows/comics. But I can definitely say that AoStH Robotnik and Wes Weasley (and maybe just the show in general) are a 'temporary' obsession, meaning it's something I'm constantly deeply interested in, but my interest will occasionally spike up into an obsession.

Does that make sense?

• 2 months later...

I'm obsessed with being just like Sonic personality-wise, but I have almost nowhere to buy merch and little money, so I only have games. Other than merch, I am obsessed undoubtedly. Sonic's attitude, his environment, the energy of the levels and music, the Sonic universe is entirely perfect, so I try to bring that to life via imitation in order to have an incredibly happy and accomplished life. If I had the opportunity, I'd leave Earth right now and meet Sonic in Green Hill Zone to start a life of incredible adventure, high speed, and more! It. Would. Be. Perfect.

The above comment exists. Fact.

• Thumbs Up 2

Obsessed with the character? No, with the franchise? Yep, with Doctor Eggman? Oooh boy that's a massive yes.

I enjoyed Sonic as a kid but I don't remember being obsessed with it, that sorta happened as I got older and found other ways of appreciating the games and character more than just "Robonik builds robots to take over the world, Sonic runs really fast and stops him".