Awoo.

Capcom Capcom. What's wrong with you?

Remynaka

The reason the latest Ace Attorney is digital only outside of Japan is because its sales weren't up to snuff prior. That should speak volumes about the performance of the franchise.

You have to think more deeper: lower sales were dictated by the fact that DS games were extremely easy to pirate. Now, with the 3DS it's another story (for now at least).

They made a 2? And that made money to support a THREE? 

Lost Planet 2 is 3 years old at this point: sorry for the rudeness, but where have you been for all this time?

• Thumbs Up 1

The reason the latest Ace Attorney is digital only outside of Japan is because its sales weren't up to snuff prior. That should speak volumes about the performance of the franchise.

It is Digital only? Well there goes a ton of sales out the window. I know I haven't bought any ace attorney games for awhile, but the ones I did play were ok. This digital only thing I still think is going to cost companies lots of sales in the long run. There are still tons of people that do not like downloading games, me being one of them. If it is digital only, I wait for a physical copy or don't buy it. Simple as that.

Capcom just doesnt seem to be listening to their fans is all. When you start ignoring your fans, you start becoming EA, and garnish even greater hate, which Capcom already has these days.

As for if they close and get auctioning off their old series if they can still do that, I do think anyone would be better at this point. Imagine if Nintendo or Sega got ahold of Megaman. Likely, new games would follow rather quickly I bet.

You have to think more deeper: lower sales were dictated by the fact that DS games were extremely easy to pirate. Now, with the 3DS it's another story (for now at least).

Lost Planet 2 is 3 years old at this point: sorry for the rudeness, but where have you been for all this time?

lol No worries. I honestly never heard of the second one. I never played the first one. And actually I've been gameless for 3 years until this past july. :/ Being homeless kindof does that. But yeah, I barely even heard of the first Lost planet.. seeing it's getting a 3 is news to me as I didn't think the first one did all that well. My mistake. :c

A physical release of PW5 was obviously not worth it. Why waste a bunch of money on that if you know you won't get enough back?

• Thumbs Up 1

A physical release of PW5 was obviously not worth it. Why waste a bunch of money on that if you know you won't get enough back?

Because to me, taking the choice away from the customer is going to cost you a bunch of sales as well. You are only getting half of your crowd usually.

Think about how much it takes to make a game tho. To us that's a shit load of money. YES. But to a company where a game can cost up to 30 million to make? Capcom is in trouble. 

"Up to?" Hah, that's funny. $30 million for a big-budget AAA release is considered quaint these days. Granted, this is mostly for all the wrong reasons, but still.

• Thumbs Up 4

I think PW is niche enough to have fans that will buy it either way, some will jump off, but not enough to really hurt it, while making a physical copy may win a few new fans, but not enough to make it worth the costs. This topic shows that Capcom have little money and have to spend intelligently.

Of course the game can still completely bomb, but if it does, it probably won't have all that much to do with it being digital only.

"Up to?" Hah, that's funny. $30 million for a big-budget AAA release is considered quaint these days. Granted, this is mostly for all the wrong reasons, but still.

If it's MORE than that then Capcom really IS in trouble. D: SHIT. 

In a wacky world, Capcom goes under and then Comcept buys them out, leaving Keiji Inafune to run the joint.

• Thumbs Up 4

Digital-only, in a lot of ways, is a smart move for a series as ailing as Ace Attorney.

There's no limited run and the game will remain on the eShop for as long as the eShop is around. There will never be a point at which copies are taken off shelves and only the most dedicated fans would know of its existence. It also eliminates second-hand sales which might not be good for a collector looking to find a good deal on a game that's been out for a few years already, but good for Capcom to ensure that they'll get money from anyone who is interested in playing the game. It also helps that the 3DS has yet to be reliably hacked and so piracy is not an issue like it was during the DS's life.

Even if you hate Capcom, give credit where it's due. At least we're getting the game and at a relatively cheap price considering they could have just been assholes and priced it at $40. I too have massive problems with the company, but I really wish more people were selective with their criticisms. Localizing AA5 is an admirable effort and more people need to support this.

And people need to get over their preoccupation with having retail games. Myself included. It's perfectly fine to prefer retail over digital, but digital is steadily finding a permanent spot in modern gaming and if you're so against it that you 100% refuse to buy digital games, then you need to accept then that you're falling behind the times.

• Thumbs Up 8

I too have massive problems with the company, but I really wish more people were selective with their criticisms. Localizing AA5 is an admirable effort and more people need to support this.

Ditto 

I don't hate Capcom as much as I strongly dislike their stupid decisions, which is why I want to see them get better and get off of that stupid arrogant attitude of their's.

Also, one thing i forgot: the new Strider game looks promising; it's also targeting nostalgia fans of both Strider and the MetroidVania genre, so Capcom can take back a little credit with this.

And no, i honestly don't think that being developed by Double Helix is a big problem.

If it's MORE than that then Capcom really IS in trouble. D: SHIT.

Nowadays, you can spend up to $100 million on an AAA. In the near future, I wouldn't be surprised if one cost more than what they have in cash.

While myself is barely interested in Capcom franchises due to that one that apart from Street Fighter and Resident Evil, the rest of the games were not as big in UK/some parts of Europe* and were more of a niche like Kirby is for Nintendo so I don't have memories of playing DuckTales or Mega Man 2 like many people in the US/Japan who grew up on the NES/SNES era did plus the fact many games just don't interest me, however for many people it is their favourite developer so it is a big thing.

For the fans, yes what Capcom is doing is very wrong. Treating Mega Man who is their mascot poorly, putting DLC on disc and charging for it [they aren't the only company doing it but it is focused on them], Westernising games losing some of the touch that the series did have so the diehard fans complain [Namco is also guilty of this regarding Ace Combat and Ridge Racer], not localising important games in the series [other companies are guilty of this too] and poorly marketing promising games. Plus having mistakes (Capcpom, Revolaitons, the IGN watermark) shows that Capcom do not have a high enough quality control. Capcom is a business and businesses usually have several goals to make in a year from maximising profit to pleasing the shareholders to maximise market share, pleasing the fans is usually pretty low in priority unless someone passionate high up listens to them. Some of this could be Japanese culture and have no clue regarding their practices, even then much of the key people from Capcom have left to form their own companies [e.g. Platinum Games, Dimps in terms of Street Fighter since they were formed by some ex-SNK members too, Comcept] so the people in charge aren't the same people who made the classics that people remember.

For Ace Attorney, Capcom thought that the series is niche so they put it as a digital download and for them it saves on making the 3DS cards [that might have locked saves ala Resident Evil: Mercenaries], the packaging and distribution costs. While a retail version is a sound idea, business wise Capcom thought that it wouldn't make a profit so logically using the digital route. Then again, if the sales aren't to their (probably high) expectations then that means no more Ace Attorney games in the US/Europe.

* - That is due to before Capcom formed their own European publishing end, their games were either handled by Nintendo, Virgin Interactive, Sega or other companies. Nintendo publishing the classic Mega Man games might be a theory why Europe didn't get the Mega Man collections.

The only solution for them that i can see is that they should start some Kickstarter projects.

Oh wait, they explicitly said they don't want to do them for some reason. Ok, they're screwed.

But to be honest, we all know that the next Ace Attorney game will most likely give them some better sales then DmC and Remember Me did.

Btw, how is Lost Planet 3 going?

Last time I checked Lost Planet 3 is doing not very good, not sure about the US though. Currently it is 38 in the PS3 only chart, 23 in the 360 only chart and not at the Top 40 at all in the UK charts. In Japan, it is number 15 with 5516 copies sold last week so it is doing better than the UK but by comparison, it isn't selling has much as say Splinter Cell: Blacklist (Ubisoft, no.2, 22,425), Final Fantasy XIV (Square-Enix, no.5, 12,336), Mario & Luigi (Nintendo, no. 7, 11,466) or even Killzone: Mercenary (Sony, no. 8, 11,053). To put it into perspective, a PSP music game was the highest seller that week at 68,000+ copies sold.

lololololol

So if they go under. how many people will be out of work? Will other devs be able to purchase the rights to IPs? Does this mean I won't have to pay for Mega Man 9?

Edited by Solkia

Capcom have burned people so many times, yet there are still people who basically give their wallets away to them. It's incredibly stupid...

Maybe but the chances of another company not only buying your fav series over the others that make more money on name alone, AND treating that series with the care and respect that it has already is very rare. 

Hey speaking of "rare", how's Rare been doing lately since getting bought by Microsoft?;)

Sorry I couldn't resist the joke.

Edited by Jovahexeon
  • Thumbs Up 1

Capcom have burned people so many times, yet there are still people who basically give their wallets away to them. It's incredibly stupid...

Sorry, but i think it's more stupid generalizing in this way.

I still haven't regretted to have bought UMvC3, Bionic Commando and Dark Void, and i will be more then happy to buy in the near future Dragon's Dogma and Remember Me. Sure, a lot  of Capcom games recently have been terribly bad (Resident Evil 6 and DmC for examples), and some of the buisness practices have been downright stupid (the whole DLC fiasco), but to say that there's no redeeming factor and people who are supporting the good games are "giving away their wallets" and are "incredibly stupid" it's a long stretch.

• Thumbs Up 4

What makes you think any other company would be interested in Ace Attorney? Street Fighter would definitely get bought, but Ace Attorney? Not likely. Also, there is no guarantee that it would be made by the same people and it is almost as likely that it would be made by a completely different team if it were bought out.

Actually, if Capcom went under, I could see Level 5 buying up the AA license to run alongside their Professor Layton series.

I just hope this isn't the end for new IP's from the AA creator's, Ghost Trick was one of the best fucking games I've played since forever.

• Thumbs Up 4

If Capcom goes under, the only series I can think of that I care about that won't get bought by someone and will just die will probably be the MvC games. Man...Hope they can get one more MvC title at least out.

Compared to the other video game companies out there, I can easily see why they're doing so poorly. I don't think I've even played a Capcom game in the last two years...

If Capcom goes under, I hope Mega Man gets sold to Nintendo. If he's popular in Smash 4 then I'm sure they would make high quality Megaman games. I also want MvC and Street Fighter to go to good homes, not sure I have anyone specific in mind though.

Pipe dream: Sell Devil May Cry to Platinum Games and have them make a game in the old canon and not in the crappy reboot canon. I mean, Kamiya was the director of the first game............ 

Edited by Chaos Warp