Awoo.

Sonic CD comes after Sonic 2?

iDEATH

Regarding Tails' absence; he has two spinoff games he could have been having while Sonic CD was going on, (three is you count Music Maker but I don't see why you would).

Also I consider Sonic 2 8-bit as occurring before Sonic 2 16-bit because Sonic didn't meet Tails during Sonic 2, all we know is that they met sometime before Sonic 2. So it could of been like; Sonic meets Tails on South Island, Tails gets kidnapped on South Island (Sonic 2 8-bit), Sonic and Tails travel to Westside Island (Sonic 2 16-bit)

It was days between Sonic 2 and Sonic 3. Not a direct "this immediately leads into the next" like Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles.

First, Tails not being in the game doesn't entail that he hadn't yet met Sonic.  He wasn't in SegaSonic the Hedgehog, either, but that doesn't mean anything in terms of continuity.

SegaSonic was almost certainly never really canon in the first place.

I've never understood why people are so certain that Tails' lack of appearance means anything. He's not in episode 1 of Sonic 4 so does Ep 1 take place before Sonic 2 and Ep2 after?

And if you're going to go down that track with Tails, then what about amy? She follows sonic everywhere right? So why isn't she in Sonic 2?

Tails does not have to be in every story after he is introduced (this can be reversed into a "where's Amy in Sonic2 - Sonic3&K" because she doesn't need to be in every story either),

Amy's lack of appearance pretty much by definition doesn't have the same weight as Tails' lack of appearance.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think you can use the "Tails was with sonic non-stop in the classics" argument. If there is a matter of minutes between 2 and 3&K it makes sense especially considering you end on the tornado in Sonic 2 and start Sonic 3 on the tornado. There is literally no way for Tails to not be there. It could be after 3&K as Tails wouldn't have seen sonic for a long time until Adventure. But it comes before Sonic 4 as Metal is stuck on Little Planet till ep 2, but in Adventure he is in a capsule.

So I think it goes

Sonic 1

Sonic 2

Sonic 3&K

Sonic CD

Sonic 4

Sonic Adventure

Not sure if you're replying to me, but I didn't say Tails was always with Sonic. But Tails was with Sonic in Sonic Spinball, Sonic 3D, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Triple Trouble, Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic Drift 1 and 2 (even though those are racing games). I know those are mostly not cannon, probably, but there still were many games where Tails was wtih Sonic.

Regarding Tails' absence; he has two spinoff games he could have been having while Sonic CD was going on, (three is you count Music Maker but I don't see why you would).

Also I consider Sonic 2 8-bit as occurring before Sonic 2 16-bit because Sonic didn't meet Tails during Sonic 2, all we know is that they met sometime before Sonic 2. So it could of been like; Sonic meets Tails on South Island, Tails gets kidnapped on South Island (Sonic 2 8-bit), Sonic and Tails travel to Westside Island (Sonic 2 16-bit)

Tails' spinoff games explicitly take place before Tails had met Sonic, and if Sonic 2 SMS actually happened it had to have been sometime after Sonic and Knuckles because Sonic 2 Genny was specifically about the events after Sonic first met Tails'.

• Thumbs Up 1

From Sonic Retro : Some time after stopping Dr. Eggman once again, Sonic the Hedgehog grows restless, deciding to do what he does best - travel the world, looking for adventure. Climbing into his trusty biplane, the red-and-white Tornado, the blue hedgehog begins flying the skies, looking for places unknown. On nothing more than an impulse, Sonic decides to land on an unassuming island, called West Side Island. Deciding to kick back and explore the isle, Sonic is completely oblivious to the legend connected to the island, and the similarities it has in relation to his adventures on South Island. According to legend, there was once a great and prosperous people who lived on its shores, who achieved their greatness through the use of mysterious, powerful stones. Their peace could have been everlasting if not for a select few who desired to use the stones for their own selfish gains, causing the gods to take away the stones and hide them away on the island...

A few days after landing, Sonic realized that he was being followed by someone. Looking behind him, Sonic spotted a young fox, who immediately hid from the blue hedgehog when he looked his way. Not thinking much of it, Sonic ran off, the fox once again following. The young fox's given name,Miles Prower, was overshadowed by his nickname, "Tails," derived from the fact that he possessed not one but two tails behind him. Often being ridiculed by his peers, "Tails" outlook on life changed immediately once he spotted Sonic running around his home, deciding that he had to follow and emulate his new hero, wanting to be just as cool and confident. No matter where Sonic would go, Miles would try and follow, Sonic eventually accepting the near-constant trailing of the young fox.

Not long after, during a brief moment when "Tails" was exploring the beaches of West Side on his own, he came across the Tornado, glittering in the sun. Spotting it in the distance, he became extremely excited, running as fast as he could towards it. Engrossed in its design, he wondered who the plane belonged to. He didn't have to wait too long when, out of the corner of his eye, the fox spotted the distinct image of Sonic, taking a nap under one of the wings. This newfound knowledge was not given much time to process in "Tails" mind when suddenly a loud explosion echoed through the air, shocking Sonic awake.

Looking beyond the Emerald Hill Zone, a large pillar of fire could be seen, accompanied by a new, yet familiar, army of mechanical robots. It only took a second for Sonic to guess who had caused the explosion, cursing Eggman's name and running into the thick of it. Without hesitation, Miles Prower followed behind, knowing that he had to be right at Sonic's side.

His laugh echoing in the wind, Eggman couldn't help but gloat over his newest plan, being grateful for having the foresight to follow Sonic to West Side Island. Learning of the legend of the island, Eggman came to the realization that the legendary stones talked of could only be the Chaos Emeralds, this island being the true resting place of not only the six from before, but of a seventh as well. Once again wanting the emeralds for himself, Eggman plans on using them to power his latest creation, the Death Egg, a flying fortress orbiting the planet with the potential to be his greatest weapon. With the desire to rule the world fueling the mad doctor, he prepares to once again engage with his greatest enemy, the one force that could possibly spoil his plans.

"The stage is set. Now it's time for you to bring the curtain to a close on this adventure once and for 

lol I'd totally forgot I'd made this topic :P Thanks to whoever merged them.

Anyway, another thing I just thought of. Tails has workshops all over the place, where he builds his rockets, gadgets, works on the tornado etc.

Couple that with the fact that in heroes Sonic clearly mentions that he hasn't seen tails in a while.

I'd say it's a pretty safe guess that Tails spends a lot of time in these workshops and sonic goes off on his  own for long stretches without him.

I think Sonic CD was supposed to be very similar to Sonic 1. I mean, this is clearly evident in the final game itself (and by this I  am not referring to the same sprite-style although this strengthens the fact further). 

Collision Chaos = Spring Yard

TIdal Tempest = Labyrinth

Metallic Madness = Scrap Brain

Many levels that are very similar to Sonic 1. It seems to be an intentional movement to draw a comparison to Sonic 1.

I also don't think Sonic CD was ever planned to fit into the Series chronology. There is a clear timeline with Sonic 1-2-3K. I think it is best to think of Sonic CD as something like Sonic 3D Blast or the Game Gear games, part of the mythology but not part of a chronological narrative.

Obviously the marketing of Sonic 4 has revised the role of Sonic CD, and Sonic Adventure's flashback scene before that (which is probably not intended as any more than an easter egg), but I don't get the impression that Sonic CD was originally meant to feed into the other games at all. It seemed to want to be its own thing.

Edited by Ultra Gako

From Sonic Retro :

Beware using Sonic Retro's Wiki as a source. There's nothing in that that I can see as wrong and they are generally right on the ball with everything, but there have been a few myths over the years that simply wouldn't die because Retro (among others) perpetuated them as being the truth and no one questioned them as a result (Mighty being a rejected Sonic design, Mobius as seen in AoStH and SatAM originally coming from a Yuji Naka mistranlation, etc.).

• Thumbs Up 1

lol I'd totally forgot I'd made this topic tongue.png Thanks to whoever merged them.

Anyway, another thing I just thought of. Tails has workshops all over the place, where he builds his rockets, gadgets, works on the tornado etc.

Couple that with the fact that in heroes Sonic clearly mentions that he hasn't seen tails in a while.

I'm talking about the classic era.

I'm talking about the classic era.

I don't see the difference. Tails is already independent in the classic era, with his two adventures before he even met Sonic.

There's still the tornado to work on, and the rocket he builds in fighters he's more than enough to keep him occupied while Sonic jumps of to save Amy.

Edited by Jake Bird

For the people saying that Sonic CD can't happen between 2 and 3, take these things in account.

•  Sonic 3 takes place days(so at least 2 or more) after Sonic 2
  • Sonic CD is about 3 days long.(Palmtree Panic is during the day, Collision Chaos takes place at night, Tidal Tempest is all inside, Quartz Quadrant is during the day, Wacky Workbench is during Sundown, Stardust Speedway is at night, and Metallic Madness is during the day.)
  • Tails' ship got hit by a laser in Wing Fortress so he could be spending the time during Sonic CD repairing it and making it stronger/upgrading it.
Edited by Dom

For the people saying that Sonic CD can't happen between 2 and 3, take these things in account.

• Sonic CD is about 3 days long.(Palmtree Panic is during the day, Collision Chaos takes place at night, Tidal Tempest is all inside, Quartz Quadrant is during the day, Wacky Workbench is during Sundown, Stardust Speedway is at night, and Metallic Madness is during the day.)
  • Tails' ship got hit by a laser in Wing Fortress so he could be spending the time during Sonic CD repairing it and making it stronger/upgrading it.

I'm pretty sure it can't happen between the two, Sonic 2,3&K are basically one big game. Far as I'm aware Sonic 3 kicks of right at the end of sonic 2, no more than an hour or two later, enough time for robotnik to convince Knuckles to help him.

It either takes place before Sonic 2 or after Sonic3&K

Edited by Jake Bird

I say it takes place after Sonic 1, since Sonic is learning to master the spindash,as it performs weaker than in Sonic 2. I know I shouldn't really take gameplay into consideration, but that's what works for me when discussing where to place the classics in the timeline. Also, Tails is no where to be seen ( I don't consider his presence in the taxman remake canon). My anser as to why Tails is missing is that it takes place after Sonic 1, where Sonic hadn't met Tails yet. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Robotnik was working on fixing the Death Egg between the two games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Far as I see it,

Sonic 1

Sonic defeats robotnik who has no real plan, just building up his army

Sonic 2

Robotnik builds the death egg which sonic destroys along with an old prototype of Metal Sonic

Sonic 3&K

Death Egg crashes into the floating island and Robotnik sets about repairing it while Knuckles deals with Sonic. Sonic deals with the death egg, it crashes into the island again. Robotnik steals the master emerald and uses it to power the death egg for a final time. Sonic stops him again battling the updated Mecha Sonic.

Sonic CD

Robotnik gives up on the death egg and changes plans. He perfects Metal Sonic and attempts to transform the entire little planet into a fortress but of course Sonic defeats him again.

Sonic 4

Robotnik goes for broke and combines his two plans into one, hoping that this time it'll finally be enough to stop Sonic. He builds a new death egg around the little planet itself.

...the only question now is where does Flickies island fit in?

I'd say Flickies' Island is after 3&K, probably after Sonic 4 aswell. It can't be before 3 because Knuckles is there and "helps" Sonic.(Cheap asshole, asking me for 50 rings just to take me to a special stage when they were free in Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles.) And it can't be before SA1 because Sonic & Co. already know about Flickies.(And Classic Designs)

I wanna know when Eggman will decide to let Silver Sonic or Mecha Sonic have another crack. After all they are both in stasis tubes in his base in Sonic Adventure and look rebuilt to me.

Unless he is just using them as interior decoration to show off to people he invites over for dinner :(

As for the placement of CD, I have always and probably will always put it before Sonic 2. Especially since thanks to an old trade show video we know that there was a CD version of Sonic planned in the demo reel showing off the upcoming Mega CD system. Then all those magazine articles saying that thanks to the ideas and development on Sonic 2 it ended up getting changed numerous times and delayed and finally the quotes from interviews saying that Sega decided to release Sonic 2 first even tho CD was ready to ship due to the install base on Mega Drive being much bigger and also fans being rabid for the next numbered installment.

Without looking at the actual stuff in game at all and going by all that I have always believed that Sonic CD comes before Sonic 2.

Edited by Tenko
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'd say Flickies' Island is after 3&K, probably after Sonic 4 aswell. It can't be before 3 because Knuckles is there and "helps" Sonic.(Cheap asshole, asking me for 50 rings just to take me to a special stage when they were free in Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles.) And it can't be before SA1 because Sonic & Co. already know about Flickies.(And Classic Designs)

Problem with that is that the cast have the modern sonic design in Sonic 4, generations shows us that classic sonic growns up, gets green eyes etc. so it can't be after S4

then of course there's triple trouble...chaos...sonic blast......

God damn it Sega!!

It's quite simple:

Sonic 1 - Sonic CD - Sonic 2 - Sonic 3&K - Knuckles Chaotix - Sonic 3d Blast  Sonic 4 never happened. It doesn't exist, it has no place in the Sonic universe! 

Sonic CD was due to be released before Sonic 2, but got pushed back to allow the numerical sequel to take centre stage. Whilst CD doesn't really fit in the Genesis games 'canon', it's easy to put the game between 1 & 2. No Tails in CD (original) and the level design, physics (speed-cap and charge up spindash) and difficulty is far more similar to Sonic 1. 

Found an interview with Oshima where he talks about how the Sonic CD and Sonic 2 teams talked during development meaning both were being developed at the same time. One in the US and one in Japan. He also states their original intention was to make a CD version of Sonic 1 like a remake almost.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4208/out_of_the_blue_naoto_ohshima_.php

I KNOW I have seen an interview or article talking about CD being ready for release before 2 but it was held back. Ill have to do some more hunting.

I can't believe that they had CD done before Sonic 2 when Sonic 2 was developed in a state of being a perpetual rushjob. Oshima was there throughout Sonic 1's development, and even taking into account he avoided the corporate politics that Naka drove himself into that led to Sonic 2 being made in America by S.T.I. and that Sonic CD was much closer in design to Sonic 1 than Sonic 2 was, it seems implausible that they would have had it done so quickly.

There's all kinda of weird stuff that make it seem like Sonic CD was further on or even finished before Sonic 2.

Green Hill in GG Sonic 2 having bits of "Toot Toot Sonic Warrior" (Sonic You Can Do Anything) in it. The earlier looking version of the spin-dash. Using Sonic 1's sprites. Sonic 2's Japanese manual having funny cross stitch looking shots of what could be construed as Sonic CD's intro.

There's even a few magazines that originally listed its release as being early 1992 as opposed to Sonic 2's late 1992. And interesting things like that old Japanese 1992 Sega Summer Catalogue listing it as upcoming with a strange blurb.

"Dr Eggman is burning with the ambition of world conquest. The peaceful world fell into chaos under Dr Eggman and his army corps. But the Super hero Sonic acquired time traveling abilities and stood up to him to regain peace. But what is the ultimate weapon the "Death Egg"?...What is Dr Eggmans weakness?...From the past to the future, Sonic and his new sidekick will begin an adventure that transcends time."

Almost sounds like Sonic 2 to me but its listed as Sonic CD. And even if it was Sonic 2 that it was talking about it clearly mentions Sonic's time travel and beating Eggman happening before he gets his "new" sidekick.

I remember reading somewhere on the Sonic Retro Wiki that, basically, at one point in time, Sonic 2 and Sonic CD were a single project, with the objective being simply to create a sequel to the original Sonic 1. But some conflicting ideas and some other shit happened, and the project split into two, Sonic 2 and Sonic CD.

And really, I don't think they were even taking the timeline into consideration.

Here's how I view the Sonic timeline:

Sonic 1

Sonic CD

Sonic 2

Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Sonic 4 never happened because it suxxorz

also who gives a shit about Sonic 3D Blast

I wouldn't even consider Sonic 4 canon because

1) It's made by a bunch of dimpwits

2) they got the timleline of Sonic 3 & Knuckles completely messed up (According to Dimps, while Sonic was up defeating Eggman at Doomsday, he was also saving Knuckles after Knuckles defeated Super Mecha Sonic at Sky Sanctuary, which means that while Eggman had the Master Emerald, the Master Emerald was also at Sky Sanctuary clearly visible during Knuckles's final boss, and while Angel Island was in the ocean, Angel Island was also in the sky, clearly visible in the background of Knuckles's final boss. Which basically means, according to Dimps: Sonic, the Master Emerald, and Angel Island can be in two places at once!)

Problem with that is that the cast have the modern sonic design in Sonic 4, generations shows us that classic sonic growns up, gets green eyes etc. so it can't be after S4

then of course there's triple trouble...chaos...sonic blast......

God damn it Sega!!

And there's also the issue of in Sonic Adventure, when playing as Tails, there's a cutscene that plays right after him and Sonic fall from the Tornado (during the first Sky Chase), and it's basically a flashback to when Tails first met Sonic (showing him being awed by Sonic's speed). And they're in their modern designs. Also at the beginning of Amy's story we see a very brief glimpse of a flashback showing Amy, Sonic, and Metal Sonic, heavily implying this is a Sonic CD flashback, yet they're in their modern designs

Sonic 3&K

Death Egg crashes into the floating island and Robotnik sets about repairing it while Knuckles deals with Sonic. Sonic deals with the death egg, it crashes into the island again. Robotnik steals the master emerald and uses it to power the death egg for a final time. Sonic stops him again battling the updated Mecha Sonic.

Sonic doesn't "stop Robotnik by battling the updated Mecha Sonic". The order of events are:

*Eggman tries to launch the Death Egg at Launch Base but it fails and lands on Lava Reef

*Sonic and Tails eventually travel to Lava Reef & Hidden Palace

*Eggman steals Master Emerald

*Sonic and Tails battle Mecha Sonic at Sky Sanctuary, and then jump onto the Death Egg

*Knuckles's story takes place after Sonic & Tails, which is why in Angel Island Zone, you see no ocean in the background, and in Launch Base, Lava Reef, and Hidden Palace you never see the Death Egg in the background (there's a page on Sonic Retro that thoroughly explains why this is all true)

*Knuckles is the one who defeats Mecha Sonic. Remember, he was Knuckles's final boss at a different part of Sky Sanctuary.

Far as I see it,

Sonic 1

Sonic defeats robotnik who has no real plan, just building up his army

Sonic 2

Robotnik builds the death egg which sonic destroys along with an old prototype of Metal Sonic

Sonic 3&K

Sonic CD

Robotnik gives up on the death egg and changes plans. He perfects Metal Sonic and attempts to transform the entire little planet into a fortress but of course Sonic defeats him again.

Sonic 4

Robotnik goes for broke and combines his two plans into one, hoping that this time it'll finally be enough to stop Sonic. He builds a new death egg around the little planet itself.

Aren't Mecha Sonic and Metal Sonic different robots? Weren't both in different capsules at the beginning of Gamma's Story in Sonic Adventure?

It is confusing when Sonic CD takes place...either before Sonic 2 or after Sonic 3&Knuckles. Didn't they mention somewhere that it happened before Sonic 4: Episode II, since Metal Sonic appears in it? I don't remember well...

I do know Flickie's Island happens after Sonic 3&K, considering both Tails and Knuckles appear there. biggrin.png

Edited by ₪►H3llhog◄₪

Sonic CD comes after Sonic 1; Sonic learns how to do the spindash in Sonic CD (As far as I know...) and he's Sonic 1-styled in Sonic CD. BTW, Sonic CD was planned to be relased before Sonic 2, but due to some problems I can't remember, it was relased after Sonic 2, making many people be confused that it comes after Sonic 2 rather than coming after Sonic 1.

• Thumbs Up 1