Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Oh goddamnit. I was looking for an excuse to post that later when it would actually be relevant. Welp, no point now. >.>

Is it bad that I hope sakurai does something almost exactly like this and just reveals that ridley is an assist trophy while the real playable character is pac-man (or whatever other character people don't care about).

• Thumbs Up 2

Lol the video doesn't really ring true to me considering there's been no hints of Ridley or switcheroos or tricks that make us think he might be coming.

Name me a single newcomer video that had an opening that made you think "oh this is so gonna be Ridley".  As much as I enjoy the jokes that spawn from it, you guys are doing this to yourselves.  =B

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe he started showing hidden characters after the Japanese release, seeing how videos were going up on Youtube and other video sharing sites rapidly showing said characters off anyway.

There, now THAT makes more sense. And we haven't even heard anything about any release yet. And considering how slow they're giving us newcomers, I don't expect to see much; I think they'd focus on new franchises before newcomers for existing ones. Ridley's popular enough that they might announce him as a starter, but its questionable. We'll have to wait and see.

I wouldn't care if they reveal all characters before release.

Usually for these games I'd like to know the roster and stages like mario kart 8 and sonic transformed.

I wouldn't care either, I'm just saying that this did not happen for Smash Bros. Brawl so I don't think it'll happen here, either.

Man, personally, I miss playing Melee as a kid and having characters like Mr Game & Watch be a total 100% surprise due to lack of spoiling things and such beforehand...

Its nice and all, but most people want to know who is playable in the game and what other features are in the game before they are willing to buy it.

Its nice and all, but most people want to know who is playable in the game and what other features are in the game before they are willing to buy it.

Yeah, but it kind of ruins the surprise factor that you'd get from seeing it yourself (always feel pretty good).

I also dunno why characters and stages would affect someone's buying decision THAT much.  It's fucking Smash Bros you either buy it or you don't.  I can't imagine what sad minority skipped a game just because it didn't have x character in.

• Thumbs Up 5

I also dunno why characters and stages would affect someone's buying decision THAT much.  It's fucking Smash Bros you either buy it or you don't.  I can't imagine what sad minority skipped a game just because it didn't have x character in.

I was under the impression Smash Bros. is supposed to be a celebration of Nintendo that lets you pit your favourite Nintendo characters against each other. The "favourite characters" bit is a pretty important part of that. If the game doesn't have the characters I want then what obligation am I under to buy the game instead of just sticking with the old one? 

A significant portion of the community also asks for Goku of all people.

I get that this is a fanservice game first and foremost. but Sakurai's gotta draw a pretty clear line somewhere.

• Thumbs Up 8

You would be surprised how many people either buy or don't buy a game over one character when it comes to games like these, its a sad truth but its probably what sells these games more than the actual gameplay does.

It's more a matter of convincing people that they need to buy this particular iteration of the franchise rather than just playing Brawl some more. The more new characters you reveal before release, the more different and worth owning the game seems.

You would be surprised how many people either buy or don't buy a game over one character when it comes to games like these, its a sad truth but its probably what sells these games more than the actual gameplay does.

It's true! A good example of this? Look no further than Playstation All Stars Battle Royale. Not only did it not sell well because of its crappy marketing, but it was also because of the selection of playable characters. Of course almost everyone wanted to see Crash and Spyro and when it turned out they would not be playable in the game, hardly anyone bought it.

The amount of people that were ready to skip this game just because Sonic might not have been in it still baffle me.

• Thumbs Up 3

I personally feel like anyone whose investment in a crossover game like this rides entirely on just one or two characters *coughcoughSoniccough* is just kind of being prissy about it. Buying a game just because this character is here seems like a waste more than anything else, and if nothing aside from that one person interests you, you're better off skipping the game.

This franchise is defined by its characters. If its character selection doesn't appeal to people then they're not going to buy it, because why the fuck should they when it offers nothing that the previous game didn't? I think it's a lot more "sad" to just blindly buy the game because "smash bros lol"

It's true! A good example of this? Look no further than Playstation All Stars Battle Royale. Not only did it not sell well because of its crappy marketing, but it was also because of the selection of playable characters. Of course almost everyone wanted to see Crash and Spyro and when it turned out they would not be playable in the game, hardly anyone bought it.

To be fair, Playstation All Stars Battle Royale was more of a marketing stunt than anything. Most of the characters had new games recently released or soon to be released. Raiden (MGR:R), Big Daddy (Bioshock: Infinite), etc.

Well, that's how I've always seen it.

This franchise is defined by its characters. If its character selection doesn't appeal to people then they're not going to buy it, because why the fuck should they when it offers nothing that the previous game didn't? I think it's a lot more "sad" to just blindly buy the game because "smash bros lol"

Yeah, but after brawl I see like this, the character roster can be as good as it can get and if people like the game because of those characters, more power to them but if the gameplay doesn't hook me then the characters won't really matter in the long run, especially if I already know who all is going to be in there since I can at least play a game until I unlock everything and know what all it has to offer but if I already know everything thats coming up anyway, whats the point. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a good bit of the cast revealed before the game comes out but revealing completely all of it is a really big motivation killer for me if the game itself isn't at least all that fun to me (which thankfully this one seems to be leaning away from that thought).

But yeah, I know the main selling point is the characters and what not but a bit more restraint isn't a bad thing when it comes to revealing all the games secrets. 

I was under the impression Smash Bros. is supposed to be a celebration of Nintendo that lets you pit your favourite Nintendo characters against each other. The "favourite characters" bit is a pretty important part of that. If the game doesn't have the characters I want then what obligation am I under to buy the game instead of just sticking with the old one? 

It's more a matter of convincing people that they need to buy this particular iteration of the franchise rather than just playing Brawl some more. The more new characters you reveal before release, the more different and worth owning the game seems.

I would've imagined any seriously discerning Smash player who needs significant differences to consider an upgrade would consider the game engine - something you can only experience for a decent length of time by purchasing the game - far more important than the new content alone (of which there's already been plenty of evidence that we'll be getting just as much new as Brawl).

To be fair Playstation doesn't have the kind of strong franchise loyalty that Nintendo does.  If you are a Nintendo fan you will be satisfied with Smash Bros, but Playstation fans are significantly less likely to know all the characters and franchises featured since hardly any of them are from famous, decades old franchises.

And skipping out on characters like Crash and Spyro would be like skipping out on Mario or Kirby in Smash Bros which would never happen in a million years.  And having Raiden but not Snake would be like, I dunno, having Shiek but not Link.

• Thumbs Up 2

because why the fuck should they when it offers nothing that the previous game didn't?

I think this is an ignorant assumption when you seem to forget everything else that this game has to offer. It's sad if all you see is a couple of character, and judge it entirely on that, despite the many changes to said characters, along with the changes to overall mechanics and what not. There're also new stages, items, modes, bosses, and yadda yadda. Hell even if it had the exact same cast as Brawl, if they still rehauled each of those characters to make them feel fresh and new, then how exactly is that nothing? I can understand this coming from someone who doesn't know much about the series, but if you actually care about what the games have to offer, the characters themselves should not decide your purchase entirely.

• Thumbs Up 6

I would've imagined any seriously discerning Smash player who needs significant differences to consider an upgrade would consider the game engine - something you can only experience for a decent length of time by purchasing the game - far more important than the new content alone (of which there's already been plenty of evidence that we'll be getting just as much new as Brawl).

I don't think the average person is ~seriously discerning~, though. Characters aren't all there is to Smash for sure, but they're easily the most-discussed thing about it, and they're a more tangible difference to Joe What's-An-L-Cancel than the game engine.

Character reveals are easy hype, and we're living in an age where Nintendo went out of their way to tell everybody about 3D World's secret character in a Nintendo Direct. I'm just not expecting a ton of secrets outta this one.

I mean, character secrets. Secret characters. Y'know.

I think this is an ignorant assumption when you seem to forget everything else that this game has to offer. It's sad if all you see is a couple of character, and judge it entirely on that, despite the many changes to said characters, along with the changes to overall mechanics and what not. There're also new stages, items, modes, bosses, and yadda yadda. Hell even if it had the exact same cast as Brawl, if they still rehauled each of those characters to make them feel fresh and new, then how exactly is that nothing? I can understand this coming from someone who doesn't know much about the series, but if you actually care about what the games have to offer, the characters themselves should not decide your purchase entirely.

If Smash Bros. had original characters instead of existing Nintendo characters it would not be near as succesful. If Smash 4 replaced all the existing characters with generic characters with the same movesets there would be outrage from fans of the series. No, I don't give a shit if Bowser plays slightly differently or if it has a load of random characters from games I've never played. Please give me an actual incentive to shell out £40 for this game.