Awoo.

IGN: A Tour of Sonic Lost World [Gameplay]

Carbo

I hope Eggman does at least appear in the game.  The Deadly Six look interesting, but Eggman is always a reassuring presence to have.

Oh and I'm surprised that Sega didn't partner with Nabisco or something.  All that ad revenue they could make off that candy level.  I'm getting ravenous just looking at it.

J8mOXIxl.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait.

Why is a level set in treetops full of honeycombs called "Desert Ruins"?

It means "Desert" as the type of food people eat. Not an actual "desert" (ex:sand, cactus, etc.)

I don't like the on-a-dime stopping and turning. Like, at all. That to me is incredibly disappointing in itself. XD

Everything else looks pretty incredible though. I'll give a more in-depth analysis later.

The thing with this. I do not suffer from motion sickness. I have been old wild rides out of my control, I have played hundreds if not thousands of games and done stupid crazy shit in them.

This is the first time or a LONG time I have felt a bit dizzy or sick when looking at a game.

Now it was only affecting me during Windy Hill Zone, and I think it's due to the way that zone is constructed since none of the other videos have made me feel dizzy.

So I think this might end up being a problem for some people, unless the dizzy effects are not so bad if you're playing the game and you know which way the stage will move since you control it.

This. I seriously cannot shake the feeling of being disoriented/dizzy when I see this game. It's really one of the main reasons I am not all that interested in it. 

Really liked what I saw on the whole. Only thing that really struck me as a possible mis-step is the use of the Wisps. Aaron completely flunked when he tried the Laser one.

NBXcw4H.png

Old habbits die hard eh Dimps?

Forget that, For some reason they brought back the fight pits that everybody loved to loathe from Sonic Rush. Who's idea was that?

The 3DS version has Dimps written all over it... however at the same time, the effort that went into the rest of it is quite promising.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

"DESSERT Ruins/ Desert Ruins" ....think outside the box 8p...
The tree level has nothing to do with either though...and a mixture of dessert/desert might have been acceptable but there's absolutely no resemblance between the candy level and the 3DS's Egyptian desert level. They're part of the same zone but literally the only thing they have in common is their name. Mario did a dessert/desert level but it was pretty visually consistent. This just seems random

It means "Desert" as the type of food people eat. Not an actual "desert" (ex:sand, cactus, etc.)

Then it should be spelled "Dessert", shouldn't it? And honeycombs only marginally relate to desserts.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's also possible the names are just placeholders? It would explain why they're so nonsensical.

• Thumbs Up 2

That second Desert level seems like a Mach speed section but slower with better control, that's what it seems like to me anyway.

So, did anyone see the aerial flash kick that sonic was doing in the 3ds version or the double jump back flip he did in the wii u version, I'm liking what im seeing right now, my only real nitpick is how on the sweet desert act 2 level that the running is automated the whole way through and its not more like generations and unleashed where you still have a pretty open path but with some actual control to it, but besides that though I am really hyped for this now, think I might actually get both versions for once (first time since unleashed).

• Thumbs Up 1

Cross-post time.

All right, so, I think I'm more hyped now than I was before. Few things:

Gameplay:

-I think the Parkour mechanic will do a great job of keeping the flow going and making sure the pace doesn't get broken.

-I feel a little better about the tiered speed thing. If it'll help with precision platforming, than more power to it.

-I'm not sure if I see myself using the kick attack often. It's likely I'll forget I have it more often than not.

Level Design:

-Looks like the best the series has had in a while. It seems to have that openness that people have been asking for for so long, but not to the extent that you don't know where to go. You just have a ton of ways to get there. Hell, even the Dimps version looks good.

Art Style:

-What do I wanna say? It looks Nintendo-influenced, but it still has that Sonic feel to it. Like, nothing looks out of place. Even the Desert Ruins Zone 2 on the 3DS version looks a lot like Tropical Resort from Colors.

Music:

-Seems like Tomoya Ohtani is back for this one. Windy Hill sounds very Rooftop Run-ish, and I think Desert Ruins Zone 3 had a remix of Skyscraper Scamper, or at least a song that sounded like it. Also, the Speed Up theme uses the drumbeat from Sonic Heroes. Sounds pretty good so far. Speaking of Speed Up...

General:

-This game seems to be really invoking the Classic feel, doesn't it? I mean, two of the elemental shields (one of which has a new attack) are back, we have Speed Shoes, capsules with animal friends, badniks being powered by animals, the spindash, the overall wacky art style and level design, levels being called "zones" again. Only thing it doesn't have is the actual Classic Sonic model. This might be the most "classic" game we've had since the series went to 3D.

Overall, I'm so ready for this game. Just need a Wii U first...

Also, a couple more things:

-I like how the Desert Ruins Zone 2 music in the 3DS version sounds like grinding music.

-I'm not sure I like how you use the Wisps with the GamePad. Just seems wonky and far too easy to screw up. Prove me wrong, Sonic Team.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well looks like I'm gonna have to get a Wii-U. Fortunately i already have a 3DS.

Edited by Hershel Layton

One thing I like is that there is no HUD obstructing your view of the game...like, once again, Mario Galaxy.

Have you guys watched this video yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLOvnAFC4OA

That stage is just... awful... Sorry but it really is.

It's just puzzle ball gimick after puzzle ball gimick after puzzle ball gimick. The music sounds like 3 notes on repeat... and that entire section at 2:35 - 3:05... just look at it... you go for that 10 rings box, you lose them because you can't get back in time and have to take a hit against boulder face.

Then at around 3:25 you see those 'animal gates' in action... a throwback to Sonic 3D which is not a welcome return at all.

Classic Dimps again at 3:50, the player gets an invincibility power up which has no use since the entire section after that has 1 enemy in it and it's boulder face.

And those boulder face switches seem like nothing but infuriating pains in the spiky arse!

• Thumbs Up 3

Looks like fun.. well windy hill anyway. I'll give the demo a shot @ Comic-Con

If all things go well and Nintendo announce the next Smash Bros and a WiiU price cut, I'll definitely on board

Oh yeah and I noticed this.

C0EUIxn.png

Why does that 1 up life remind me so much of Sonic 3D blast?

One thing I did forget to mention that PSI covered for me was that yeah that was totally the bounce attack I saw there.

C0EUIxn.png

Got me. Looks like the same graphic from Generations than 3D Blast.

Though it's probably for the best; the less 3D Blast throwbacks, the better.

Edited by Longshoreman X

Looks interesting, but.........

The movement is all wrong. I feel almost sorry to say that Generations had more nuanced movement than this game appears to have, which is weird. Why can you turn 90 degrees on a dime, with no loss of speed? Why? That doesn't enhance control, it just makes it easier for you to lose control. It'd be like going full pelt to the right in Sonic 3, then when you press left, instead of gradually slowing to a halt, before changing direction, you suddenly and explosively change direction with no loss of speed.

OK, when turning left, you shouldn't need to come to a complete halt, but at least have some proper weight to the control, so Sonic slows down just a little, the extent to which he slows down, being dependant on the sharpness of the angle he has to turn at.

Even in normal speed, Sonic appears to be changing direction like a housefly. It looks wrong and can explain why some are getting horribly disorientated by the way Sonic moves.

The acceleration too, looks buggered. When running, you just seem to already be at top running speed. There doesn't appear to be an acceleration phase, which is weird. Maybe I've not seen enough to judge, just looks like you instantly warp to a higher speed.

The parkour like stuff is interesting, but a little too....binary....if you could call it that. It doesn't make sense to me that Sonic, is abruptly able to run up a vertical wall, just by pressing the run button and moving towards it. Again it doesn't look right. You should need to first, build up some speed, and then perhaps time a button press to properly jump onto the surface you want to run on.

Maybe that is a little too hard, but surely it wouldn't be too difficult to get used to. Right now it just seems a little too easy.

• Thumbs Up 9

Actually, you know what's really intriguing?

During the 12-minute preview, Aaron reveals a secret where you fall, presumably to your death, but instead find yourself in a barrel where you are launched sideways, through a trail of rings, to another barrel which launchs you to another trail of rings, and then the process repeats until you're finally directed to a barrel that takes you onto solid ground.  Now, perhaps this is actually a more common game trope than I'm familiar with, but to me it seems very reminiscent of a very particular game.  A game that just so happens to be one of my favorite SNES games of all time.

D9pOsQCl.jpg

Also, I am aware that there is a lot of Mario Galaxy influence, but it comes across as more Sonic Xtreme than Galaxy to me.  Speaking of Mario, when Colors was new, I mentioned that the canons in Sweet Mountain are very similar to the Bullet Bill canons in Super Mario Bros. 3.  The same holds true of the deadly truffle canons in this game.

So many great game influences.  It's like everything I love about Sonic, Mario, and Donkey Kong all in one convenient package, minus the Mario and Donkey Kong being in it.  There is no emoticon to properly express my excitement!  All my love are belong to you, Sega!

• Thumbs Up 7

C0EUIxn.png

Maybe because it was also used for Gens?

• Thumbs Up 3