Awoo.

Sonic Lost World - Previews

Carbo

Is it really safe to assume that the eighth world would be a full world and not just, say, a single stage followed by the final boss?  SLW still wouldn't be doing badly on the figures, though.

I can see it being a new world in the sense that Terminal Velocity was a new world, and all that had was two acts of running away from things and the final boss. Still kicked ass though.

I think it's also safe to assume that Sonic won't be going super for the final boss, as the Chaos Emeralds are outright confirmed to be locked away in bonus missions for collecting Red Rings. Unless they're mandatory to unlock the final boss, then we've got another Sonic Colours scenario on our hands, which I for one will welcome with open arms.

Aaaaaand my hype just got knocked down a few pegs.

There's no open map system on the 3DS version? That's not cool guys. Generations 3DS uninspired level select screen was "old school enough." Map screens like in Colours DS shouldn't take up too much space, right guys?

At least my thoughts on their Special Stages remain the same... Sonic 2's, but with Gyroscope. Meh. Now that I think about it, the Special Stage card in general needs some revamping, and something other than that damn halfpipe Unless the wording was off and there really is the glorious return of Blue Spheres, I doubt they'd be all that Special.

On the plus side, a new zone is always a plus in my book. I really do hope it's in space. I frigggin' love space levels.

I think it's also safe to assume that Sonic won't be going super for the final boss, as the Chaos Emeralds are outright confirmed to be locked away in bonus missions for collecting Red Rings. Unless they're mandatory to unlock the final boss, then we've got another Sonic Colours scenario on our hands, which I for one will welcome with open arms.

Colors DS, Generations 3DS, Heroes, the Rush games and S3&K all had Super Sonic final bosses. Colours Wii was the only game with collectible chaos emeralds that didn't have a Super Sonic boss figh

Colors DS, Generations 3DS, Heroes, the Rush games and S3&K all had Super Sonic final bosses. Colours Wii was the only game with collectible chaos emeralds that didn't have a Super Sonic boss figh

What about Sonic 4?  Neither of the episodes had a Super Sonic end boss.

What about Sonic 4?  Neither of the episodes had a Super Sonic end boss.

You'll have to excuse that one. Dimps must have made a mistake. And we all know how much herp de derp there can be at times.

Seriously though, good point. You never know though.

Those games didn't have playable Super Sonic on regular levels though, which is why it makes sense to assume the final boss won't be a Super Sonic fight. Unless this games gonna go all S3&K on our asses...

So wait? How do we get emeralds in the Wii U version again? I thought special stages were exclusive to 3DS? I've probably missed a key part of the conversation here but could someone fill me in?

I think I heard it in the reveal article or an early interview, so they may have changed it, but I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere, no worries didn't know the special stages were on the Wii U version , that's a nice surprise. :)

I never heard that the special stages were exclusive to the 3DS version. Maybe you're getting it mixed up with Generations 3DS?

Nope. Taken from the Gamestop info page:

3DS Exclusive Features

• The first handheld Sonic game ever to feature fully realized 3D levels.
  • Unleash Color Powers exclusive to the 3DS version.
  • Exclusive Special Stages! Tilt using the Motion Sensor to navigate hair-raising levels and obtain the elusive Chaos Emeralds.
  • Create and customize radio controlled gadgets to help Sonic.
  • Race against friends locally through ad-hoc and online through network play.

PLUS: Share your gadgets between the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS versions.

The Chaos Emeralds in the Wii U version will probably pull a Colours in that respect.

Oh yeah, I forgot about how Colors handled the emeralds. That's probably gonna be how it is I guess. It's a shame 'cause I really hated those stages. There was really nothing "special" about them lol.

Oh yeah, I forgot about how Colors handled the emeralds. That's probably gonna be how it is I guess. It's a shame 'cause I really hated those stages. There was really nothing "special" about them lol.

I know how you feel. Still, they really were not special stages at all to me. I saw them as "extra stages" more than special stages, if you know what I mean.

I actually preferred the Game Land stage concept to pretty much every other special stage. It's a twist on the existing gameplay rather than some random gimmick. Execution left much to desired and there were too many stages but in the grand scheme of things I still preferred them over basically all the other special stages.

• Thumbs Up 6

I actually preferred the Game Land stage concept to pretty much every other special stage. It's a twist on the existing gameplay rather than some random gimmick. Execution left much to desired and there were too many stages but in the grand scheme of things I still preferred them over basically all the other special stages.

Pretty much this. The concept was so much better than any other special stage ever, but the execution made it feel like I was just playing them to get it over with, not to have fun.

Say what you will about Game Land (I do like it but I'll agree that more could have been done with it), but it did give us those awesome remixes.

Also, maybe they meant that the Special Stages in the 3DS version are "exclusive" in the sense that they're different from the ones in the console version, not that there aren't any at all in "SLoW U". But, personally, I'd rather see a successor to Game Land than the traditional special stage where the gameplay is completely different. *shrug*

Edited by ElementofChaos

The Sonic Rush Adventure Special stages(for both sets of emeralds)were basically running off existing game-play(in the game)as well, they weren't that great.

It was pretty lame padding if I was honest, the only thing enjoyable in them were the 8-bit remixes of the level music.

• Thumbs Up 2

S'not really padding if it was for optional chaos emerald extras....

Either way they weren't terrible, but I thought they added a decent amount to the game imo (also had some neat level gimmicks here and there).

When it comes down to it, I think Game Land was the right idea for Special Stages. They just weren't as great as they could have been. There were some cool levels, though, particularly the later ones.

On a slightly different note: this game's special stages, or whatever they are, seem to be symbolized as circus tents in the hub, right? So, I'm wondering if that's a hint to what they'll be like. Hmmm.

Edited by ElementofChaos
  • Thumbs Up 2

If we have Game Land like levels again then I hope they're fun. Because even though they were a neat idea, I'm just saying that Game Land really wasn't fun at all to me. :v

• Thumbs Up 2

Game Land was the definition of a good idea with poor execution. If it does return again I atleast hope they've realized that you can't go from ice and candy stages to a rather barren one colored stage with floating cubes in the background.

Edited by Master Zik