Awoo.

What kind of music do you want in this game, and who'd you want to compose it?

Shiny Gems

Erm, what? SA2's soundtrack composed at least half of rock for Sonic, Tails, Eggman, and a couple of Shadow's level tracks. I'd rather see a more Unleashed/Colours/SA1 style soundtrack where the focus is variety.

To be fair, all four types of rock were diverse in themselves.  You wouldn't mistake any character's music for any other character's music.

If we ever did get multiple characters like in SA2 again though, what I'd love is each envioronment to have the same theme, but to be remixed in each characters style slightly, or at least have a unique instrument that only appears when playing as that character.  For example, Sonic would have rock guitars, Knuckles would have the percussion replaced with a reduced tempo hip-hop beat (but same song otherwise)... that sorta thing?

But that's a whole kettle of fish not worth opening until we know whether this is solo sonic or not.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 4

All I'm hoping to see is Fumie Kumatani. If she's a no-show yet again, I'm going to seriously worry that Sega is phasing her out.

A pipe dream of mine is also to get Tomoko Sasaki to work on a Sonic soundtrack for once.

• Thumbs Up 2

All I'm hoping to see is Fumie Kumatani. If she's a no-show yet again, I'm going to seriously worry that Sega is phasing her out.

A pipe dream of mine is also to get Tomoko Sasaki to work on a Sonic soundtrack for once.

She's only been a no-show once, and that was in Generations. She was very much involved in Colours, but focused on just the non-gameplay elements unfortunately.

I just find it utterly bizarre that, even ignoring her previous gameplay music work, we got such forgettable cut-scene music from the person that brought us stuff like this:

I hope she just took the lighthearted story in Colours as a cue for a lighthearted soundtrack, or that she was under some enforced direction from the main music person, whoever it was.  But it still just clashes with the rest of the game for me which has music as "Sonic" and badass as ever.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 2

I couldn't count cutscene music to be honest when forgettable, lighthearted event music like Colors's is not where her talents shine the most. And as Jez mentioned above, she's done much better work in other games. As far as I'm concerned Kumatani didn't contribute anything meaningful to Colors.

Do I even have to say that I want Skankfunk, Tomoya Ohtani and Hideki Naganuma on this (or any Sonic game)? Like really? XD Those three are my personal favorites ever at SEGA. Mix in Kenichi Tokoi and Naofumi Hataya and you've got yourself the most funky hip hoppin' soundtracks ever. I really miss the atmosphere of the original Sonic Rush, to be honest. I really loved how stylized that game became just by adding in the music and the breakdancing moves at the end of each level.

There's so much more to Naganuma and Skankfunk than just Jet Set Radio and Air Gear, too. <3

Edited by SKANKFUNK

Apparently Woun beat me to it and went ahead and asked Ohtani-san if he is working on Sonic Lost World. 

Ohtani-san answered with this: Sorry, I still can not answer. Please wait for the official announcement!

Interesting that he didn't deny his involvement in the title or he just played it very very smart.

In any case i love Ohtani-san music so i hope he is the Sound Director for this :D

I want something fresh. Like this.

...and Crush 40^^. because I love rock music and there have been not so many rock tracks in recent years.

Also, Riders style music would be cool also. Like, Techno or Psy trance.

Like this amazingness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgcC4G4oeC0

Fits Sonic perfectly IMO. Of course if the level trope is suitable.

Edited by ArtFenix

Also, Riders style music would be cool also. Like, Techno or Psy trance.

The thing with Riders is, it had the futuristic theme to back up the "why techno". And they also deviated enough to make it unique and fitting for the levels, but it was still techno for the base.

However, this kinda thing is far from what this game is going for. A computer level, yeah, then I'd say we may see it. 

But honestly, besides those digital based levels or machine based levels, it'd be real unfitting. 

So hope with reason, hope with realism.

The thing with Riders is, it had the futuristic theme to back up the "why techno". And they also deviated enough to make it unique and fitting for the levels, but it was still techno for the base.

However, this kinda thing is far from what this game is going for. A computer level, yeah, then I'd say we may see it. 

But honestly, besides those digital based levels or machine based levels, it'd be real unfitting. 

So hope with reason, hope with realism.

Sonic games always have something futuristic. Sonic Colors has friggin' Space Elevator! And the levels with techno-like setting are not so rare. Eggmanland? Final Egg. Death Egg. Eggman levels fit this perfectly and space-themed levels do just as well! And why only futuristic theme? Like, half of Riders levels weren't futuristic at all, so this point about unique theme in Riders that is not present in main 3D games is only partially correct.

BTW old games like CD or 3D Blast had a lot of techno music influences.

Edited by ArtFenix

Sonic games always have something futuristic. Sonic Colors has friggin' Space Elevator! And the levels with techno-like setting are not so rare. Eggmanland? Final Egg. Death Egg. Eggman levels fit this perfectly and space-themed levels do just as well! And why only futuristic theme? Like, half of Riders levels weren't futuristic at all, so this point about unique theme in Riders that is not present in main 3D games is only partially correct.

BTW old games like CD or 3D Blast had a lot of techno music influences.

Not always. Sonic 2. there ya go. 

Eggmanland seems for fitting for wacky styled orchestral rock, not all base levels work with techno, and space themed levels do. 

Did you realise something though? This is a game about a Lost World. It's not set in space. Again, hope with limits. 

The levels weren't futuristic. Yup, and those levels where the one where there was a techno base but there were a lot of influences from others. But the techno is justified, you do realise hoverboarding in itself is futuristic enough right.

Influences are alright, I'm not saying that techno is bad, if I said so I won't be the guy do a freaking Sonic Riders 4 style album as my debut album. I'm just saying it won't fit everything and the chances of it in Lost World is pretty low from what we have seen.

This is a game about a Lost World.

Thing is, we don't know a thing about that this Lost World actually is so...)))

But the techno is justified, you do realise hoverboarding in itself is futuristic enough right.

Sure but in Sonic games there is a whole lot more futuristic than just hoverboards. Did I mention a Space Elevator? Oh yes, I did.

I'm just saying it won't fit everything

I never said this music should be in every single level but adding it to the mix would be great! I'm getting tired of same styles, same genres of same composers. Colors OST was amazing, but I don't want a Colors OST V2 from Losw World. You know what I mean, right?

I get your point but I'd rather they do an Unleashed so that the music fits the levels rather than making an ok sounding piece with Techno to give us more genres. (In using Techno in an example as its the current discussion point, I say the same about any genre)

Fumie Kumatani mainly, in hope that she returns to the Sonic Adventure style of composing.

You just don't get music like this in Sonic games anymore. Adventure had the perfect soundtrack, it felt like everything Sonic was about. It was adventurous, it was varied, hectic, natural, unique. I absolutely love it. It had a perfect, natural mix of real instruments and electronics, and everything fit the atmosphere perfectly. I was so sick of the whimsical and forced nature in Unleashed since it felt so out of place for a fast-paced game as that, and while I much preferred Colors, save for Planet Wips it lacked a lot of subtlety.

If Sonic is going to go on another adventure through worlds unknown, this ought to be the kind of music to set the mood.

• Thumbs Up 8

Thing is, we don't know a thing about that this Lost World actually is so...)))

sonic_lost_world.jpg

It's the closest thing we've got and it has no futuristic influence at all, whatsoeva.

The space elevator was in one cutscene. One cutscene. Are you saying we should have had techno for an intro cutscene and give it importance when there is no point denying the fact that it's the intro and it should set a welcoming pace. Oh wait before you talk about Terminal Velocity. You have the whole thing crashing and a giant purple hole sucking everything in, it just spells out P.A.N.I.C and not T.E.C.H.N.O. For a zone that is a chase sequence, and is full on running at high speeds, it's best to compose for the mood than the surroundings, which mind you weren't futuristic that much. So orchestral rock was a good choice.

I'm not saying it should be everywhere either, and I don't think I said I did. Adding it to the mix, yeah, if you're doing some music and there's a lot of genres for it, well, good for you. But if you're doing an OST to the game, it's more of what will fit the game's mood, atmosphere, levels, gameplay.

No OST can be classified as V2, it's almost like considering Sonic 2 and 3&K V1 and V2 of OSTs. There's obviously gonna be new melodies, there's gonna be new instruments, and since they're scoring for different moods and levels, there's obviously gonna be a lot of difference, there shouldn't even be a comparison.

Why yes, there may be like similarities between songs, that's rare within a franchise itself (unless it's a remix) and even if it did happen, that does not qualify it for a V2 of X OST.

I love my musical variety, I like my diversity, but trust me, I'd rather have a fitting OST that is amazing as usual than them trying to do something forced and just doesn't work.

Everyone. I want everyone to make music for Lost Worlds, and every Sonic game after that.

All of the different composers, Senoue, Ohtani, Kumatani, Tokoi, Jaques, etc, all have something unique to offer to a soundtrack. Variety is the spice of life, and Sonic has always had very varied musical styles. Though Kumatani wasn't around in Generation, that soundtrack as a whole, showed how awesome a soundtrack can be when almost everyone contributes in some way. Heck, I even want Cash Cash and Runblebee to return and do a couple of tracks here and there. 

• Thumbs Up 5

It's the closest thing we've got and it has no futuristic influence at all, whatsoeva.

It's just a general look of the art direction. Are you really expecting the levsls to look EXACTLY like on this art? I sure don't.

The space elevator was in one cutscene. One cutscene. Are you saying we should have had techno for an intro cutscene and give it importance when there is no point denying the fact that it's the intro and it should set a welcoming pace.

The Space Elevator is just an example because you previously stated that it'd be hard to make techno music for main Sonic games because Riders are like unique and have that special futuristic theme when it is present in almost every game more or less. That was my point.

Terminal Velocity music is OK. I'm just saying the games need more genres and variety.

I love my musical variety, I like my diversity, but trust me, I'd rather have a fitting OST that is amazing as usual than them trying to do something forced and just doesn't work.

Sure. But they could've made the music tracks more..different. Like.. Every composer has their own style and sometimes you can tell what composer wrote this or that song. What about that Unleashed video I posted above? The music fits PERFECTLY but has a different style than all Unleashed music.

BTW, Lost World from Sonic Adventure is MAJESTIC!!! But this is so awesome! Hearing any similarities?)))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dACj8AhMHeQ

If I didn't know where these came from I'd think they are remixes.

Edited by ArtFenix

It's just a general look of the art direction. Are you really expecting the levsls to look EXACTLY like on this art? I sure don't.

The Space Elevator is just an example because you previously stated that it'd be hard to make techno music for main Sonic games because Riders are like unique and have that special futuristic theme when it is present in almost every game more or less. That was my point.

Terminal Velocity music is OK. I'm just saying the games need more genres and variety.

Sure. But they could've made the music tracks more..different. Like.. Every composer has their own style and sometimes you can tell what composer wrote this or that song. What about that Unleashed video I posted above? The music fits PERFECTLY but has a different style than all Unleashed music.

Yes, and what does the art direction show you? The atmosphere. What does the atmosphere link to? The mood. Look, it just doesn't work. 

Yes, your point still doesn't stand it still doesn't work. It's not just the where, it's the when, how, why, who, what. 

>Perfectly

Oh totally man, groovy urban jungle sounding track fits Asian deep jungle ruins. 

It's not perfect. It fits to an extent yes, but not perfectly.

And you do realise that Jungle Joyride is actually already techno and now you're complaining about too little techno and you change a techno sounding song to this and you're still compla- Wow.

BTW, Lost World from Sonic Adventure is MAJESTIC!!! But this is so awesome! Hearing any similarities?)))

It doesn't give me majestic. I'm sorry but nothing that's not custom made for that specific kinda level doesn't fit.

Yes, and what does the art direction show you? The atmosphere. What does the atmosphere link to? The mood. Look, it just doesn't work.

Well the mood is lighthearted so? Can't electronic music be lighthearted? Or is it grimdark for you? What.

Yes, your point still doesn't stand it still doesn't work.

Yeaaaah, Riiiight.

Oh totally man, groovy urban jungle sounding track fits Asian deep jungle ruins.

Damn. Have you even checked the original level for this music? It's from Tekken 5 and has nothing to do with Urban Jungle and it sounds absolutely nothing like some Urban jungle. It's just you. And YES. It does fit perfectly.

And you do realise that Jungle Joyride is actually already techno and now you're complaining about too little techno and you change a techno sounding song to this and you're still compla- Wow.

I was talking more about the different style of music. I know that there are a few techno tracks in modern Sonic games but you can't even tell it's techno because of the subtlety in style.

It doesn't give me majestic.

Of all things, could you at least not argue about this? I just expressed my opinion by saying I think the level (Lost World from SA) and it's music gives me majestic feel. You don't get that? Fine. There is no reason to argue about that. I'm getting tired of your snobbish attitude.

Edited by ArtFenix

Going back to the subject of SA1, that game undoubtedly has the most perfect soundtrack in the series. Everything about it just oozed with personality and class, and nothing has come close to matching it since sans

that just matched the style of SA1 to a tee. That particular track is courtesy of Kenichi Tokoi, who are responsible for much of the "jazz" in the Adventure series. The rest of the staff is as follows:
  • Composers: Takahairo Fukada, Fumie Kumatani, Jun Senoue, Masaru Setsumaru, Kenichi Tokoi
  • Arrangers: Takahairo Fukada, Fumie Kumatani, Jun Senoue, Masaru Setsumaru, Kenichi Tokoi
  • Performers: Johnny Gioeli, Hiro Honma, Yutaka Minobe, Jun Senoue, Naoto Shibata, Takeshi Taneda, Kenichi Tokoi

No sign Tomoya Ohtani, but he's been contributing just as much awesome as Tokoi and Kumatani have been since joining in SA2. Ohtani has contributed so much awesome over the years, especially when he directed the soundtrack for Unleashed and '06. Naofumi Hataya too. He did the original Japanese soundtrack for CD, and lost of the Classic remixes in Generations more recently.

I think the SA1 soundtrack was created by a real dream team and the more members from it the better (especially Fumie Kumatani, like omg please SEGA), but I couldn't say no to more from Ohtani. Just don't let Senoue take centre stage like he did in Black Knight and SatSR, or even Generations were he butchered almost everything he touched by slamming his guitar against it. He's fantastic when working with others (see SA1 again, Sky Sanctuary Modern) but dire alone.

And on a final note, I'm having a really hard time imagining Crush 40 returning for this game. I'm expecting Cash Cash or someone else to give us another pop theme tune.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 4

Going back to the subject of SA1, that game undoubtedly has the most perfect soundtrack in the series. Everything about it just oozed with personality and class, and nothing has come close to matching it since sans

that just matched the style of SA1 to a tee. That particular track is courtesy of Kenichi Tokoi, who are responsible for much of the "jazz" in the Adventure series. The rest of the staff is as follows:
  • Composers: Takahairo Fukada, Fumie Kumatani, Jun Senoue, Masaru Setsumaru, Kenichi Tokoi
  • Arrangers: Takahairo Fukada, Fumie Kumatani, Jun Senoue, Masaru Setsumaru, Kenichi Tokoi
  • Performers: Johnny Gioeli, Hiro Honma, Yutaka Minobe, Jun Senoue, Naoto Shibata, Takeshi Taneda, Kenichi Tokoi

No sign Tomoya Ohtani, but he's been contributing just as much awesome as Tokoi and Kumatani have been since joining in SA2. Ohtani has contributed so much awesome over the years, especially when he directed the soundtrack for Unleashed and '06. Naofumi Hataya too. He did the original Japanese soundtrack for CD, and lost of the Classic remixes in Generations more recently.

I think the SA1 soundtrack was created by a real dream team and the more members from it the better (especially Fumie Kumatani, like omg please SEGA), but I couldn't say no to more from Ohtani. Just don't let Senoue take centre stage like he did in Black Knight and SatSR, or even Generations were he butchered almost everything he touched by slamming his guitar against it. He's fantastic when working with others (see SA1 again, Sky Sanctuary Modern) but dire alone.

And on a final note, I'm having a really hard time imagining Crush 40 returning for this game. I'm expecting Cash Cash or someone else to give us another pop theme tune.

Hey! I liked Chemical Plant Modern, one of the more unique interpretations of that track. Green Hill was pretty blegh. Aside from Sky Sanc, Chem Plant and Green Hill, I don't really remember anything else he did.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 1

"I'M GONNA REACH THE LOST WORLD, AND YEAH I'M ON A PLANE YES

I'M GONNA RUN ON THE SKY, COS I AM SANIC. I don't know"

Yes, that's the theme song for Lost World if pop singer does it.

But hey, I'm totally fine with it, cos I liked Endless Possibility and Reach for the Stars. Don't dig Zebrahead though.

But hey, if I a man can dream, then Crush 40 could be nice. Live Life is pretty much Generations' theme song, it goes together real well in the final boss.

And yeah, man, now we'll just keep dreaming, we're getting an awesome OST no matter what! :D

EDIT: YES CHEMICAL PLANT MODERN IS BEAST.

Edited by Faseeh
  • Thumbs Up 2

Hey! I liked Chemical Plant Modern, one of the more unique interpretations of that track. Green Hill was pretty blegh. Aside from Sky Sanc, Chem Plant and Green Hill, I don't really remember anything else he did.

Chemical Plant Modern is like the only exception because it's awesome. Green Hill was shit, Speed Highway and City Escape were the originals with more electric guitar that went way over the top and Seaside Hill... didn't sound any different. Sky Sanctuary was a collaborative effort between Senoue and Richard Jacques. 

Edited by Blue Blood

I really like Modern Green Hill. =P Speed Highway, City Escape and Seaside Hill were just more of the same though, I agree. On the subject of Adventure; it is also my favourite soundtrack, so I'd of course love to see that same team get together again for another game.

Modern Speed Highway I loved so much, the heavier guitar, bass, louder voice samples and harder drums sounded awesome even if not too noticeable in gameplay. Considering it barely changed, it sounded fantastic.

Seaside Hill though I literally can't distinguish from it's original form (though from Ohtani's end, Egg Dragoon goes the same way, though he did fantastic remixes for Rooftop Run and Crisis City, I love this guy's work).

I would like variety, have the Colours stuff with Cash Cash techno, have the mysterious doomy SA1 Lost World, have the jazzy stuff like SA1 and Terminal Velocity, have the Ohtani stuff (so, almost anything), especially some violin stuff, have all the styles as long as they're done well!

Edited by Semi-colon e