Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

Also, correct me if Im wrong, but didn't Tails only fight with Chaos once? In his Chaos 4 form? And I think he also fought Gamma and Knuckles, again, all these three he was fighting with Sonic on his side, so he probably wasn't developing that much of a confidence by that time, only when he had to fight alone that he had a major development.

For the record, I'm not degrading Tails. I'm arguing against the explanations for the reappropriation of his role. Frankly, I don't think Sonic Team have given this much thought to this, insomuch as his modern incarnation was probably created in response to the fact that he isn't following Sonic around in the gameplay anymore so they threw him some other tasks to do to justify him still being there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tails not being much of fighter and instead being more of the inventions and information guy is fine by me. It at least feels a bit like they decided to take Tails' little development in the Adventure games to put Tails in a position where instead of being Sonic's little flying shadow, he's treated moreso as an ally with his own expertese that provides something which Sonic can't do himself. Ergo, he's closer to an equal than an apprentice now.

The only problem is that the way he's been handled in recent games hasn't done much to help get rid of the negative ideals of Tails' character. In Unleashed he's introduced in the game as just that, a weak, helpless, and cowardly little Fox who could do nothing more than fly away and hide from a few enemies, instead of trying to find a way to get rid of them. Though at the very least he did play a vital role in being Sonic's pilot, since Sonic alone was incapable of crossing the gaps between world fragments. Though, if I'm remembering correctly, Tails' roles in both Colors and Generations was pretty invaluable (outside of the Toxic Skies mission I guess). He mostly just sat around waiting for Sonic to do his thing and then popped by to tell Sonic pretty basic information that he could've figured out on his own or gone on with his adventure without knowing.

Tails' problem is the same as every other character's in the franchise, bad writing and missed potential. All he needs is a more avid role in the plot itself, even if he doesn't do any direct combat. Have him invent items and machines that assist Sonic in gameplay, give him his own special cutscenes showing him salvaging infromation through investigating Eggman's servers or spying on whatever enemy they're facing or even hindering Eggman by hacking or puting his inventions against Eggman's. Just something substantial, please.

• Thumbs Up 2

Tails is kinda part of the gameplay, In the 3DS and (maybe) Wii U version, Tails can built Items to help sonic out, like tails can build a RC helicopter to get out of reach items, but only the 2nd player can use it though.

I actually enjoy the way Tails is right now, in the classics and the Adventure games it felt like he was ''That fanboy trying to be just like Sonic'' who's only personallity is being shy and trying to not only impress Sonic but be just like him.

Its good to see that he is not a fanboy anymore, he's an EQUAL to Sonic, he doesn't idolize him, he actually pokes fun at him when possible and isn't impressed so easily by his actions, yes he isn't jumping into action, but you know what? I always thought Tails never wanted to jump into action and fight, no, he just wanted to prove to Sonic he was good enough and wanted to be just like Sonic. I like this new Tails because he isn't trying to be Sonic, he's being his own self.

• Thumbs Up 1

I personally think the game where he truly was horribly treated was Sonic 06. All he ever did in that game characterwise is point out the painfully obvious right after it happens.

"It looks like the princess was moved to another location" - Well no shit Tails.

"A chaos emerald! You've already found one!" - Tails, we're not blind, we can see that.

Edited by Noctis Caelum

I personally think the game where he truly was horribly treated was Sonic 06. All he ever did in that game characterwise is point out the painfully obvious right after it happens.

"It looks like the princess was moved to another location" - Well no shit Tails.

"A chaos emerald! You've already found one!" - Tails, we're not blind, we can see that.

But to be fair, it wasn't just Tails, Sonic did that a lot, and I think at least all of the cast pointed the obvious at least once in that game.

But to be fair, it wasn't just Tails, Sonic did that a lot, and I think at least all of the cast pointed the obvious at least once in that game.

Yeah but Sonic at least got that badass moment in the opening where he actually acts like Sonic. The other characters also did some stuff plotwise, like Rouge helping Shadow and Knuckles delivering Eggman's letter. If you removed Tails from the game nothing would change plotwise.

Yeah but Sonic at least got that badass moment in the opening where he actually acts like Sonic. The other characters also did some stuff plotwise, like Rouge helping Shadow and Knuckles delivering Eggman's letter. If you removed Tails from the game nothing would change plotwise.

The same could be said for Knuckles. Outside of that letter, he literally adds NOTHING to the story at all.
  • Thumbs Up 1

The same could be said for Knuckles. Outside of that letter, he literally adds NOTHING to the story at all.

He hits his head on the floor and runs in the wrong direction smile.png (don't get me wrong, I like 06 a lot, I reaaly do, but Knuckles is pathetic in that game as he is in all other recent main titles).

Edited by ArtFenix

I think something needs to be clarified; I don't think people are arguing against Tails` personality, but rather his current role(Or lack thereof) which is mostly inconsequential despite his supposed importance. Yes, he has more personality now, yes he's treated as an equal partner to Sonic, and yes its nice to see him and Sonic interact....but he honestly doesn't have much importance in terms of the plot itself, which is my primary problem. 

He's...there, he sits idly by while Sonic is smacking robots doing nothing until he's done, and then talks some exposition, and then its back to the sidelines. Maybe he could be gathering some information on his own, maybe he can think of things that Sonic can't, maybe he can outsmart Eggman so they can one up him. something. I don't even care if he never fights again, I just want him to do something and something plot relevant might I add. Its just annoying as hell to have him show up all of the time, but then do next to nothing for the entirety of the game.

Also, him being afraid of the Gaia Spawns is dumb as shit; even if he was afraid, he could have least did something to take care of them instead of just hiding. 

• Thumbs Up 3

If Dark Gaia's Fragments (Minions) are the embodiment of Darkness and Hatred then every enemy you encountered in Night stages are Spectral Creatures since they possess people and cause pandemonium throughout the stages, Maybe tails couldn't hit them because they are transparent like ghosts and he couldn't have done damage since his attacks go right through them, Weresonic only defeats the fragments of Dark Gaia because he too is exposed to dark gaia energy which means he could take them out without no problem, tails wouldn't have stood a chance without sonic

I agree with you, dude. I wish it was a Walk trigger instead of a run trigger. I think everyone expects Sonic to run by now..

I agree with you, dude. I wish it was a Walk trigger instead of a run trigger. I think everyone expects Sonic to run by now..

Why in the world would you hold a trigger button to walk when you can just lightly tilt the control stick forward? Even racing games don't work that way.

It's more of that I'd rather do Parkour by default and slow down using a delibrate button/trigger..I'm not sure how long I'd want to grasp onto the trigger constantly..it's a comfort thing...

I don't see how a walk trigger would make more sense.  How many games have you played where you need to hold a button to move slower/move at walking speed where the faster, running speed is the norm?  I can't think of any to be perfectly honest.  On the other hand, a run button is something that's been done in platformers before.  It hasn't been done in a Sonic game sure, but it's not too uncommon a concept in platformers or even games in general (heck even Call of Freakin Duty has a run button).

• Thumbs Up 3

It's more of that I'd rather do Parkour by default and slow down using a delibrate button/trigger..I'm not sure how long I'd want to grasp onto the trigger constantly..it's a comfort thing...

I'm sorry but this is a laughable excuse since triggers have been used as main buttons in some genre of video games since... they were pretty much implemented, racing games come to mind where you need to hold down the trigger to accelerate, you hold down the button for the entire duration of the race depending on lap length, whilst mildly depressing it when taking tight corners.

This game is no exception, and I honestly beg to differ if you need to hold the run button at ALL times, I bet there will be instances where you need to judge and calculate your movements that require tact & coordination rather than senseless speed, like the laser wall sections in frozen factory, or the mine cart/rail jumping section, or now I think about it, the supposed stealth section in Silent Forest with the owl search lights.

I honestly can't see why it's a big deal that they've moved essentially what acts as a semi boost button from the face buttons, to the triggers when most of us held down boost in Unleashed & Generations from start act to end act.

Edited by Super Soniko
  • Thumbs Up 2

The run button is like a psuedo boost which you can't control the character just like the boost use them on straights, but slow down when platforming to avoid frustration