Awoo.

PEGI now sole UK game rating system

Detective Shadzter

"He fell into my Wii remote, he fell into my Wii remote ten times!"

I think you may be confusing the Wii Remote with a singularity, a black hole.

For the discussion about understanding the symbols... It really is not important for a child to understand it, it's the people selling the product. On top of that, it's the same universal rating we have for movies here - it makes sense to use the same standard way of displaying the rating.

PEGI have revealed the new ratings and the symbols that will appear on the back covers. The ratings seem to be a mix of PEGI and BBFC symbols and they've added a new symbol for Online gameplay for those parents who don't want their kids playing with strangers online.

149.gif

PEGI 3

The content of games given this rating is considered suitable for all age groups. Some violence in a comical context (typically Bugs Bunny or Tom & Jerry cartoon-like forms of violence) is acceptable. The child should not be able to associate the character on the screen with real life characters, they should be totally fantasy. The game should not contain any sounds or pictures that are likely to scare or frighten young children. No bad language should be heard and there should be no scenes containing nudity nor any referring to sexual activity

151.gif

PEGI 7

Any game that would normally be rated at 3+ but contains some possibly frightening scenes or sounds may be considered suitable in this category. Some scenes of partial nudity may be permitted but never in a sexual context.

154.gif

PEGI 12

Videogames that show violence of a slightly more graphic nature towards fantasy character and/or non graphic violence towards human-looking characters or recognisable animals, as well as videogames that show nudity of a slightly more graphic nature would fall in this age category. Any bad language in this category must be mild and fall short of sexual expletives.

155.gif

PEGI 16

This rating is applied once the depiction of violence (or sexual activity) reaches a stage that looks the same as would be expected in real life. More extreme bad language, the concept of the use of tobacco and drugs and the depiction of criminal activities can be content of games that are rated 16+.

156.gif

PEGI 18

The adult classification is applied when the level of violence reaches a stage where it becomes depictions of gross violence and/or includes elements of specific types of violence. Gross violence is the most difficult to define since in a lot of cases it can be very subjective, but in general terms it can be classed as the depictions of violence that would make the viewer feel a sense of revulsion.

269.gif

Bad Language

Game contains bad language

270.gif

Discrimination

Game contains depictions of, or material which may encourage, discrimination

271.gif

Drugs

Game refers to or depicts the use of drugs

272.gif

Fear

Game may be frightening or scary for young children

273.gif

Gambling

Games that encourage or teach gambling

275.gif

Sex

Game depicts nudity and/or sexual behaviour or sexual references

276.gif

Violence

Game contains depictions of violence

274.gif

Online gameplay

Game can be played online

Extended Consumer Advice

This is specific information explaining why a game received its classification. A number of examples are listed below:

Contains: extreme violence, criminal techniques, glamorisation of crime, strong language

Contains: comic violence

Contains: nudity, strong language, unrealistic violence

Link -

http://www.pegi.info/en/index/id/33/

So look's like their basically going to use their current ratings minus the + and are going to use BBFC's colour scheme along with their Extended Consumer Advice. Adding the Online gameplay symbol will work for parents who miss the Xbox Live, Playstation Network and Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection logo's I guess.

Oooh I like shiny new stuff. Wonder when we'll first start seeing them? :D Colour is always nice. Should be helpful for those more familiar with BBFC too. I don't think it can get much more clear than that ^^

So when will PEGI start receiving law enforcement (if ever)?

Oooh I like shiny new stuff. Wonder when we'll first start seeing them? :D Colour is always nice. Should be helpful for those more familiar with BBFC too. I don't think it can get much more clear than that ^^

So when will PEGI start receiving law enforcement (if ever)?

I'm pretty sure the new PEGI system is going to be law enforced -

Today’s decision will ensure that games ratings stay relevant and adapt to the changing nature of videogames for many years to come. Retailers will now have clear, legal backing to help them prevent access to unsuitable content by children.

Link -

http://www.videogamer.com/news/pegi_become...stem_in_uk.html

EDIT:

Oh and VSC will be given power to ban games -

http://www.videogamer.com/news/video_stand..._ban_games.html

I think colour in the PEGI logos looks ugly. D=

It's good that they're putting an actual word description under the content descriptors though, even if they are fairly obvious anyway.

Oh, ew. Colored PEGI age raring logos makes them much more intrusive. They look like our bus system ffs

275.gif

Sex

Game depicts nudity and/or sexual behaviour or sexual references

Bayonetta is going to be sex.

In more than one way. :3

Edited by Dobkeratops

even if they are fairly obvious anyway.

No they arent. I had no idea what they meant until that post there.

No they arent. I had no idea what they meant until that post there.

Then you may wish to look in the manuals for you games every now and then. That's where they're all explained. The age ratings are undeniably obvious, but the little symbols should have always come with a little description beneath them like these new ones have.

I'm also glad to see each icon will have that one word explanation underneath it now. I mean, discrimination? That one confused me until I read it in the manual. Most of the others could be figured out quite easily, but when it comes to oblivious parents I want EVERYTHING spelled out as plainly as possible for them.

Sure, I doubt it will stop the vast majority still being idiots, but if it covers the game industry's collective arse a bit more, then we're all the better for it. The online gameplay icon is a decent idea too, though I have a nagging feeling some will misinterpret this as "game must be played online - your precious child will ALWAYS be at threat from predators!"

I think the 7+ is slightly redundant though, can't see there being too much difference between that and 3+.

But yeah, overall, anything that covers the industry legally is a plus.

That's probably why I found them obvious- I read them in the manual back when they were first introduced and I guess I just kinda took them for granted since.

I've no idea if that post is tongue in cheek but the spider icon stands in for horror.

It pretty much was, I was just alluding to how they chose to represent horror in the form of a spider. "Fear" makes a bit more sense, but when I think of horror I'd think of a hand holding a knife or something, considering your average spider isn't really all that dangerous or horrendous.

Anyway, the new plan sounds good. Let's face it; the average person/parent doesn't look in the manual, and combined with the picture ratings not being all too clear - not everyone is going to know what they mean. In that sense the little text underneath really helps. I'm really not too sure about adding colour to the ratings though; since them being in black and white often made them stand out more on colourful boxarts, but because of the seperation it never really took anything away from the art itself. Now if the ratings are in colour and the art is in colour, I have a feeling they may blend together quite nastily in some cases.

Edited by Tombi

I think you may be confusing the Wii Remote with a singularity, a black hole.

Um, OK...

I like that the PEGI ratings won, although I'm not totally sure how I feel about the recolours. The black versions seemed... simpler. At least it's a good compromise of the two styles though.

The thing about the colours is that they will now stand out much, much more. That should only serve in getting idiotic parents to look at the games they're buying.

Nobody falls into a Wiimote. Ever.

Like... colliding into someone or something? Meh, I'm not an English genius like you probably are so I wouldn't really know...

Woulda been nice to have blue or pink ratings for a change T-T

PINK! Just imagine all the straight guys picking up the boxes and seeing a big pink 12 on the front! :P

Like... colliding into someone or something? Meh, I'm not an English genius like you probably are so I wouldn't really know...

Okay...

"He fell onto the Wiimote, which was lying on the ground"

"I hit him with my Wiimote"

"The Wiimote hit him"

"He was hit with the Wiimote accidentally"

"The Wiimote collided with him"

Etcetera and so on.

It's basic English, man. You live in Coventry. Didn't they teach you these things down there?

• 2 years later...

PEGI finally set to become the sole UK game rating system

Current hybrid system also featuring BBFC classifications to be abolished this summer

By Tom Ivan for computerandvideogames.com

The much-delayed implementation of PEGI as the sole UK video game rating system will finally happen this summer.

The new system will replace the existing hybrid one featuring BBFC and PEGI classifications, and is expected to be rolled out in July, three years after it was first approved by the government.

The Video Standards Council (VSC) will rate games to PEGI's specifications while enforcing compliance among retailers, the BBC reports.

screenshot_282531.jpg

For the first time, any retailer selling a game to a child under the age advertised on the box could face jail.

Creative Industries Minister Ed Vaizey said: "It will give parents greater confidence that their children can only get suitable games while we are creating a simpler system for industry having their games age-rated."

Jo Twist, CEO of games industry trade body UKIE, said: "We are also in the planning stages of a major awareness campaign to help the public understand the system and other aspects of responsible gaming as soon as PEGI become law in the UK."

Richard Wilson, CEO of industry trade association TIGA, also said: "The fact there are criminal sanctions in place will mean that retailers will want to train and support their staff."

http://www.computera...-rating-system/

EDIT:

CVG seriously need to stop watermarking things that don't need one. They should also change said watermark so it 's transparent or something.

EDIT 2:

Here's the covered one:

274.gif

Only when this is enforced as rigorously as anti-underage drinking laws will retailers give a shit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay that means every-time I buy a Game myself I have to carry my passport! sleep.png

I advise getting a Citizencard. I have one. It's a government approved ID and proof-of-age.

http://www.citizencard.com/