Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

Hot dang, this track is chill.

Oh god I love it, it reminds me of the ambient chill as fuck menu themes you would hear in Sonic Mega Collection (Plus)and in that sense I really dig this.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 3

I made an account here just for this game. I'm loving it so far, and it's a wonderful port. I also wanted to note some of the gameplay changes from the Genesis version that I've found, in case anyone finds them interesting because I have no life (Sonic 1/2 were the only games I owned for 6 years!).

EDIT: Tapping SEGA rather than AGES also triggers the ring sound effect. Not sure what it does.

Green Hill Zone Act 1:
- Final two sdurfs have different initial positioning
Green Hill Zone Act 2:
- First two sdurfs have different initial positioning
Green Hill Zone Act 3:
- Red spring on bottom path hits Sonic back with less force. However, just like the Genesis version, after touching the spring Sonic will still roll back to the initial platform of the Act unharmed, as long as no buttons are pressed.
- Cannot attack Robotnik until he releases ball and chain

Marble Zone Act 1
- Sonic can no longer roll into blocks to push them
Marble Zone Act 2
- While riding a green block over lava, Sonic can no longer duck to pass through walls/purple bricks.
- Sonic will no longer do the awkward "
" when jumping after pressing against a one-brick-width wall.
Marble Zone Act 3
- New crumbling bricks before boss

Spring Yard Zone Act 1
- After touching the first red spring in the stage, Sonic can no longer jump off the wall in order to reach the hidden platform behind him. Player is forced instead to roll off wall.

Special Stage (All)
- Regarding the destructible color-changing blocks - Sonic can fit through a gap one block wide. In the Genesis version a gap had to be two blocks wide.
Special Stage 3 *MAJOR CHANGE*
- In the Genesis version of this stage, if you pressed nothing at all, Sonic would end up at the center of the stage where the emerald is. In the Taxman port, Sonic will instead touch a GOAL (Aw man...can't use my old trick). EDIT: I found that holding left immediately and not letting go will get Sonic to the center where the emerald is.)
Edited by philipawalker
  • Thumbs Up 3

Something I noticed, I may be wrong, but in the Final Zone, if you spindash Robotnik Sonic actually recoils, can't remember if that was in the original, just thought it was a neat side effect

I'm sure you guys are aware, but that intro is from the previous Vintage Collection releases, and the menu music is from the "press start" screen from the Vintage Collections as well. It's sweet music, but not new to this release.

• Thumbs Up 3

Something I noticed, I may be wrong, but in the Final Zone, if you spindash Robotnik Sonic actually recoils, can't remember if that was in the original, just thought it was a neat side effect

Happens when you jump at him too. Don't think it was in the original game.

You recoil from regular jumping, so it makes sense. It was in the original I think. 

Oh I've found my first actual problem with this game, and it's something that also bothered me with CD '11. When you complete the game, your save file becomes stuck on Final Zone. You can't go back to earlier stages and collect the emerald for a good ending if you missed them. You have to start a new file over. Not game breaking, but rather annoying.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm a little disappointed not only for no console support, but no windows phone as well.

I mean windows phone is a mobile device as much as IOS and android, so why can't they release it on it as well.sad.png

• Thumbs Up 1

This is how you handle the atmosphere of the Sonic series, guys. With class.

Wait, what does posting about the music have to do with the atmosphere of the series? Granted it's a great song and it reminds of of the Mega Collection/Mega Collection Plus style but still. 

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)

Anyone know how to play your own music from your phone's library over the game? I wanted to play Green Hill with the classic Gens remix, but it fades out when you go into the game, even with the game's music switched off. :/ Enderwoman had this problem too. Any suggestions?

Anyone know how to play your own music from your phone's library over the game? I wanted to play Green Hill with the classic Gens remix, but it fades out when you go into the game, even with the game's music switched off. :/ Enderwoman had this problem too. Any suggestions?

Only certain games, such as Sonic Dash, support the custom music feature.

Some games want you to enjoy their remastered OSTs you see. wink.png

Question!

Will this work on an iPod touch? I don't give a shit about all these fancy smartphones, but I have wanted an iPod touch since my Nano broke.

Wouldn't really mind a release of this version's soundtrack, really. Marble and Labyrinth have been made 100% more catchy with the added instruments.

And yeah, Solkia, it does. It works on anything in the iOS range.

I'm a little disappointed not only for no console support, but no windows phone as well.

I mean windows phone is a mobile device as much as IOS and android, so why can't they release it on it as well.sad.png

You and me both. I know that Windows Phone hasn't exactly taken off in a big way, but I hope to see it appear on there at some point (or at least a console/Steam version so I can play it at all). It took almost a year after the iOS/Android versions were released for CD to come to Windows Phone, but at least it's there now.

Edited by Pawn
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wait, what does posting about the music have to do with the atmosphere of the series? Granted it's a great song and it reminds of of the Mega Collection/Mega Collection Plus style but still. 

Menus are how game designers decide to represent a series and/or a specific game.

Jam, Mega Collection / MC+, and Gems Collection all gave the Sonic series this really 'classy' or 'mysterious' air that hasn't often appeared in the series since, with the games deciding to hire over a more hyperactive, bold and marketable 'Heroes'-esque approach (especially apparent in most of Generations).

Regardless of if the music was initially in Sega Vintage Collection or not, it really does a great job bringing that feeling back. That's what I was just praising.

Edited by Azookara
  • Thumbs Up 2

Question!

Will this work on an iPod touch? I don't give a shit about all these fancy smartphones, but I have wanted an iPod touch since my Nano broke.

If you mean the latest iPod Touch that just came out, then yeah I'd assume so.

Menus are how game designers decide to represent the series and/or a specific game.

Jam, Mega Collection / MC+, and Gems Collection all gave the Sonic series this really 'classy' or 'mysterious' air that hasn't often appeared in the series since, with the games deciding to hire over a more hyperactive, bold and marketable Heroes-esque approach. Regardless of if the music was initially in Sega Vintage Collection or not, it really does a great job bringing that feeling back. That's what I was just praising.

Ah, ok. I like the style for stuff like this as it does evoke a certain sense of nostalgia, but I prefer more upbeat, peppy stuff for regular Sonic games.  

I like upbeat and peppy too, but its not like that's really something thats immediately seperate from the 'classy and mysterious' either. Regardless, I don't really like how the series carries itself nowadays because it just seems really bland, while this feels really.. special, you know? 

I'm getting off topic though. XD I'm gonna check out S1iOS later today when I get my firmware updated. Can't waaaaaaaiiitttttttfdhfjds

Edited by Azookara

Yeah I really like the way Gems Collection presented everything over the other collections, it was so classy and mysterious yet gave a very nostalgia grabbing vibe to it as well. I'm glad the classic games are being represented like this and I'm even happier Gem's menu SFX are being used, I'd be so pissed if they used SA2's like Sonic 4 did.

I kinda wish the modern games went for this kind of approach really.

• Thumbs Up 5

Ugh God if I didn't run out of upvotes I would've upvoted Prof J's post above me so hard. LOL

Edited by Azookara

Yeah I really like the way Gems Collection presented everything over the other collections, it was so classy and mysterious yet gave a very nostalgia grabbing vibe to it as well.

Sonic Mega Collection Plus also went for this approach:

I like this much better than the original Mega Collection. The original Mega Collection music suits this version better, too.

Edited by XD375

iOS and apparently Android is getting a release today too... although in Europe it's nearly midnight and no release, so I assume they were referring to a US time zone?

I've been checking the Android store every hour for most of the evening. I've never been so excited to play Sonic 1 before!

...I honestly never thought I'd say that.