Awoo.

On the Psychological Sonic Drought of 2012

Tani Coyote

See? We're still going strong on Sonic Generations jokes and complaints, so it can't have been that long ago.

Two years, two schmeears.

Edited by Emmett L. Brown

Man, just be glad we don't have a Sonic game in development hell. Lord knows you guys would be crazy if that happened. :lol:

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting points all around!

I never approached it from the nostalgia cashin angle, but that's correct. Transformed's a ton of old stages, Generations is a ton of old stages, Sonic 4 is a ton of old stages...  so we really have been deprived of some new title for nearly 3 years.

The point about a disrupted news flow is also correct I think. When you get used to some sort of perk it's very hard to adjust to having it taken away. Now that they're more secretive about their projects rather than announcing them shortly after the latest release, it's going to take some getting used to...

To be honest I'm getting slightly more hopeful that the next Sonic game will be a bigger deal with more overall effort in it, like Unleashed. After sitting on the thought for a while I'm just gonna guess that Colors and Generations were the weaker games regarding immersion and storyline because of how they were being worked on nearly simultaneously for a while, in a year apart of each, no less. I really just hope it delivers me more content and incentive to keep playing this time.

This is an interesting way to think about it. Maybe this title has been slowly being worked on since 2009 and such, and got full steam once Generations came out? It really could be the longer title we've wanted for some time... what with being asked to raise our expectations. Whatever mad scientist Iizuka's cooking up in his laboratory, I get the feeling it's going to be beautiful.

"Enjoy your future. It's gonna be great."

Is that what he meant? No more games ever?

I would cry myself to sleep every night.

To be honest I'm getting slightly more hopeful that the next Sonic game will be a bigger deal with more overall effort in it, like Unleashed. After sitting on the thought for a while I'm just gonna guess that Colors and Generations were the weaker games regarding immersion and storyline because of how they were being worked on nearly simultaneously for a while, in a year apart of each, no less. I really just hope it delivers me more content and incentive to keep playing this time.

As for the inevitable S4E3 or whatever, I couldn't care less. 2automated4me.

If you're implying that not much effort went into Sonic Colours and Generations, I have to say I disagree with you. While they lacked in the immersion and story factor, it's clear that effort went into refining and improving the gameplay, with Colour's improved controls, great gameplay gimmick in the Wisps, more balanced boost and more platforming (at least in 2d), and Generation's even more improved controls and great level design for the Modern Stages in both 2d and 3d. 

Just because a game doesn't have the same sense of scale as another game doesn't mean it doesn't have effort put into it.

I'd like another storybook game in the meantime, that'd be nice.

Preferably one that's fun this time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Preferably one that's fun this time.

Preferably one that does everything right that the other Storybook games did, plus actual good gameplay.

Legacy of Kain fans represent! biggrin.png

The series wasn't finished; it's last game ends on a cliffhanger and the final game was cancelled a year after development.

sad.png

There's been talks of a Soul Reaver Reboot but any word on it has been non-existent for a year...

Sonic and the Black Flag.

I'd play it.

Pirates would be good if they didn't already do it in the first game.

Sonic in feudal Japan, make it happen.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic and The Last Samurai?

Where Sonic replaces Tom Cruise, and Eggman replaces Timothy Spall?

And Espio is Ken Watanabe, of course..... :B

Edited by MamboCat

Oh, we've had a drought alright - of main titles that offer something new. Generations was great and all, but it's still a big nostalgia trip. What the fans want is something different.

And hell yeah I want a Storybook game too.

What the fans want is something different.

Oh, don't those words have to be very carefully utilised.

Sonic and the Journey to the West for the next Storybook game.

Now that would be epic.

Edited by Gabz Girl
  • Thumbs Up 7

Sonic and the Journey to the West for the next Storybook game.

Now that would be epic.

You have no idea how much I want this.

• Thumbs Up 3

Least there's like ten Half-Life games as is (what with all the spin-offs and such).

NiGHTS/Mother/JSR fans have what, two, three games tops?  With absolutely no hope of a sequel?

Must suck.

OH WAIT IT DOES

The spin-offs (sans Portal which became it's own thing and only had the Half-Life link to springboard it advertisement-wise) are debateably canon and the last game ended on a cliff-hanger.  We are suffering waaaaaaaay more.

I mean it's not like the Sonic series is currently hanging on after a decidedly inconclusive endi...

ep2ending.png

...Grrr...

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

I would also like a new sonic storybook game though I really want another modern game that makes use of heroes' team mechanic and has different skills for all the characters not just flight, speed, and power.

• Thumbs Up 1

The spin-offs (sans Portal which became it's own thing and only had the Half-Life link to springboard it advertisement-wise) are debateably canon and the last game ended on a cliff-hanger.  We are suffering waaaaaaaay more.

I mean it's not like the Sonic series is currently hanging on after a decidedly inconclusive endi...

ep2ending.png

...Grrr...

It's kinda hard to tell because I don't think Generations was a hundred percent on this, but Generations follows Colors, the Time Eater brings him back from wherever it was that he ended up.  

Of course Generations couldn't seem to decide if it was canonical or even trying to tell a story or not, safe to say this franchises writing still isn't in a good place.

It's kinda hard to tell because I don't think Generations was a hundred percent on this, but Generations follows Colors, the Time Eater brings him back from wherever it was that he ended up.  

Of course Generations couldn't seem to decide if it was canonical or even trying to tell a story or not, safe to say this franchises writing still isn't in a good place.

...I don't see how that is a response to my post at all.  Is there a confusion here or did you quote the wrong post or...  D=

But that screenshot's not from Colors, it's from the credits of Sonic 4: Episode 2, where the Death Egg mk.II which was built around Little Planet was just left floating there after you defeat the Death Egg Heart thingie or whatever.

I'm assuming the idea was for Episode 3 to relate to Little Planet more or at least something to get rid of that thing, but I also have the feeling they're not really into making an Episode 3 now. I'm sure Dimps is too busy being put to work on "SUPER NEXT GEN SONIC TITLE: WATERED DOWN 3DS EDITION" anyhow.

EDIT: Rewatching the ending, at the very least they do seem to imply the Deat Egg mk.II is out of commission, as each of the lights slowly turn off. So there's simply a giant deactivated metal shell around the whole planet.

Edited by Someguy

I have too felt this craziness inside due to lack of Main Sonic Games.

But, it does take time to make a good one, and from how SEGA is taking so long, I feel the wait will be worth it. 

Maybe this new "Adventure" that SEGA is cooking up will make Sonic Fans' Jaws drop across the globe.