Awoo.

Sonic games that you consider guilty pleasures

Chaos Incarnate

I guess I would say, if I must call it a guilty pleasure, I would agree and say Sonic shuffle. I've tried to beat story mode at least three or four times in the past, but I never have done it yet. Due to the cheating computer, winning a game is really tricky and can make you have to spend loads of time playing another game just for another shot at it.

Maybe I'll pull out my dreamcast eventually again and play it to beat it finaly, but could be awhile before I do so again.

I'm sort of tempted to say Shadow, but I haven't played it in years so I don't think I'm the best judge of that. So instead, I'll go with Black Knight. The controls and general design of the game is quite bad when I think about it, but when it does actually work I find myself having a lot of fun. Plus the game has such a pleasant charm to it. Good art direction, good music, and I dig those watercolor cutscenes.

I'm also a sucker for fantasy settings so there's that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Shadow the Hedgehog.

Its the only one I play to really consider that. I don't enjoy playing through the game normally(or any game)but I would go back to play around in the levels if only because I like to do my own thing when playing back through levels and like to just experiment with what I can do in the levels. Even though its my least favorite Sonic game, I will at times go back to play it.

No question that Sonic R is a guilty pleasure of mine. Regardless of the awful gameplay, the game was my first experience with Sonic in 3d and the music is just sooooo nostalgic!

In the Sonic Adventure games, raising chaos was such a guilty pleasure. The replay value of those games for me were awesome.

For me, it would have to be Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06. Both games are horrible in there own special way, but they have some fun elements and in the case of Shadow, some great level themes/design hidden in the garbage controls/physics, making them fun to go back to every now and then. Of course, its always fun to glitch around in Sonic 06 and see how much you can break the game, but there are some great bits (Kingdom Valley's Mach Speed Section, some of Crisis City, the music, Blaze) that make some parts of the game fun to play, even if the package as a whole is a broken mess.

Sonic Adventure DX and Knuckles' Chatiox with co-op.

SA is game that gets worse every time I go back to it, but is so hilarious that I don't mind replaying it. As for Knuckles' Chatiox, I played it once with my cousin and we would literally fly around all over the stage trying to get back next to each other.

• 1 month later...

Now that I've finally completed the game since buying it this January and can offer a complete opinion on it:

Sonic Unleashed HD, without a shadow of a doubt in my mind. The night stages overstay their welcome by a couple minutes, and the Day stages can be really dickish with you the first time you play it by expecting you to have amazing reflexes. Also, I loathe the sun and moon medal system. The final boss is incredibly frustrating as well, I kept failing to press the X button 60 times and I had a problem with the snake monsters creating the shield around Perfect Dark Gaia.

So why do I enjoy this game and cut it a lot of slack? The story, art style, soundtrack, and sense of speed are all top notch.

sonic_unleashed_Apotos_by_reggiebullock.

Sonic_and_Chip_Best_Friends_by_Shadow_Hu

All the locations inspired by various places in the world are gorgeous, the facial expressions are very animated and the best I've ever seen in any Sonic game, the soundtrack goes back and forth with Colors as my favorite Sonic soundtrack, all the 4Kids actors are at the top of their game here (at least until Black Knight), I have fun upgrading the Werehog, and the day stages are a joy to replay once you've mastered and had them memorized.

For a lot of the things Sonic Team did wrong, they also pleased me with a lot of aspects. I can't hate this game no matter how hard I rage, Sonic Team really seemed to put their heart and soul into it.

Edited by Chaos Incarnate
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sonic R. I can play that game for ages and I'll play it over Sonic & Sega All-star racing (transformed) any day.

Also, Shadow the Hedgehog.

But there are unpopular games that I do not like, like Sonic 3D Blast, Tails' adventure etc...

Sonic Heroes and Sonic R

Sonic Heroes has that fun teamwork appeal and after you're done you get to work with another team or screw that you could just play with your favorite team over and over again if you want. It's fun and a bit unique.

Sonic R yeah it's a bit messy and not the best racing game in the world and the tracks could do with some work and it has sloppy controls, but I love characters are hard to control but it's fun and I love the music. Can You Feel The Sunshine is one of my jams. And it's always something that I enjoy to listen to on YouTube. 

Yeah, yeah laugh all you want....

• Thumbs Up 1

As I have said before, the only standalone game in the series I consider bad is Sonic '06.

There are terrible ports of other games in the series (Sonic Genesis on GBA, Sonic Heroes on PS2, Spinball on GG, etc) but I think if each game is taken on their own merits they're at least decent.

The most commonly hated games aside from '06 are:

Sonic Labyrinth: this one gets a lot of hate because it's really slow and Sonic can't jump, but it's not really a poorly designed game. It's not supposed to be a platform game; it's not supposed to be a traditional Sonic game at all. It's a maze game ala Marble Madness and if viewed through that lens it's perfectly competent. Certainly nothing special but not worthy of mention with Sonic '06.

Shadow the Hedgehog: the gunplay is ridiculously stupid but luckily it's pretty optional for the most part. My biggest complaint about this game is the length. The level design isn't all that much worse than Sonic Adventure 2 in my book. The frame rate and controls could have been tighter but it was an average 3D platformer in my opinion.

Sonic and the Black Knight: the swordplay is shallow and the game is too easy. No argument there. But I like everything else about the game. The presentation is top notch; the menu design and interface is beautiful, the graphics were incredible for a Wii game of the time, the soundtrack is awesome, and the story was much better than its Storybook predecessor Secret Rings. This game seems to be a victim of the same thing Labyrinth was: people marked the game not for what it was, but for what it wasn't

Sonic Blast: Aside from the one terrible zone which may be the worst in the 2D series, I didn't see what the big problem with this game was. Sonic controls differently than in other 2D games but I didn't find it hard to play because if it. It's still responsive and reliable. Slower than your average Sonic but that's okay by me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still never understood why you have to feel guilty that you like some of these games. If you like them, you like them. Just because the popular opinion may not be in your favor, that doesn't mean you have to feel ashamed or guilty about liking them.

I still never understood why you have to feel guilty that you like some of these games. If you like them, you like them. Just because the popular opinion may not be in your favor, that doesn't mean you have to feel ashamed or guilty about liking them.

One doesn't HAVE to be ashamed of liking a certain thing, but one may feel this way anyway because they themselves have an understanding of how the subject of their affection would be considered something of low-quality.  Hence why something would be considered a guilty pleasure.

If no one felt guilty about liking certain things, then guilty pleasures wouldn't be a thing 

I feel like Secret Ring and Unleashed are really big guilty pleasures for me... There not good, there silly and I like that in a sonic game. 

• 2 months later...

Now that it's been about a month since I completed the 3DS version of the game...sonic_lost_world_boxart_3ds.jpg

I feel like I should hate this game, and want it to burn in the lowest depths of hell. Frozen Factory act 3 and numerous other levels are a pain in the ass, forcing us to use the Wisps all the time instead of them being optional in Colors, and the horrible gyro controls make this one of my most rage-worthy Sonic games.

Still... I really like how Sonic controls in this game, it feels a bit floaty and has some of the best Sonic physics since Adventure IMO. Its also got its fair share of levels that are enjoyable, like all of Windy Hill, Frozen Factory act 1, and a fair bit of Tropical Coast. The game also looks like a marked improvement over Generations 3DS in the graphical department. I had sporadic moments of fun with Lost World 3DS, and while believe me, I truly get the burning hate for it, I feel like Dimps put a lot of effort into it. Lost World 3DS is definitely one of the biggest guilty pleasures in recent Sonic history for me.

Sonic R, definitely. Mostly because of the amazing songs! Umm...and I suppose Shadow the Hedgehog is another guilty pleasure. I do enjoy some of the stages and the different paths you can take. Mm hmm.

Surprised that I never posted in this topic.

People that know me well enough will expect me to say Sonic Labyrinth, but that implies that I would ever feel guilty for enjoying that game. B)

Shadow the Hedgehog...I'm surprised that game has been mentioned so much in this thread. It's a guilty pleasure of mine, and I thought I was alone in that, but I guess not? I may hate the story for a lot of reasons, particularly characterization, but I can enjoy the gameplay at times. I'll always be fond of Lava Shelter and a few other levels.

There's also Sonic Adventure 2...to an extent. I love that game and don't regret it at all, but the treasure hunting and shooting stages are sort of a guilty pleasure rather than 100% loving them.

I can't really think of any other "guilty pleasure" games. :U

Despite it's many many flaws, I enjoy Sonic 06 and I am saddened that I have misplaced my disk. It is the only game where I can play as my favorite character and have fun. (Sonic Rivals can go to hell)

614SOlM9a7L.jpg

It's no secret that I adore this game and personally consider it the best 2D game in the series.

The soundtrack, the level design, the sailing, the story-- oh, and the BOSSES... To me, it's so unimaginable for a Sonic game made by Dimps. This game has my favourite set of bosses in the series (Machine Labyrinth and Haunted Ship's ones come to mind) and the story and level design are TOWERS above the first Rush in my opinion. 

• Thumbs Up 5

I'd say Sonic Chronicles. I admit, it has a lot of flaws(most notably the music and some of the dialogue options), but I still got enjoyment out of it. and of course, who could forget the part where shadow approaches you and makes a weird turkey sound

Also I kinda like the designs of the alien races in the Twilight Cage. Especially the Voxai. They remind me of Wisps for whatever reason. I've even made a new Deviantart account named after those things.

I'm one of those who doesn't feel guilty for liking any game.

I don't even feel guilty for recommending Sonic and the Black Knight to someone else a few years back.

I don't like using the term guilty pleasure like this. I don't feel guilty about enjoying games, if I'm having fun, I'm having fun, and I see nothing to feel guilty about for that. I'll only feel guilty about it if it's harming someone else.

That said, a Sonic game I like playing that I recognize as being not very good is Sonic and the Black Knight. The controls are bad, the design is basically straight lines filled with the same damn enemies again and again, the story's kind of a mess, and of course, it's Sonic playing with a sword. Sonic ain't supposed to use a damn weapon, that's no good! But you know, somehow I have fun seeing Sonic and pals take part in Arthurian adventures and for some reason enjoy taking down those same enemies again and again, and I like doing that thing where you spin around in the air with the sword for some reason.