Awoo.

Sonic Dash (iOS/Android)

Detective Shadzter

Sonic Dash has received a really good update:

Thanks for playing Sonic Dash! We have brand new features for you based on your feedback:

GLOBAL CHALLENGE

Take part in the first Sonic Dash global challenge and unlock some amazing prizes!

FREE RINGS

Want some free red star rings? These now litter the track so keep an eye out while running.

MORE POWER

Get a step ahead of the competition, you can now upgrade all your power-ups to level 6.

MORE VALUE

Live a longer life! Revives are now better value for the larger packs.

Plus improvements to the tutorial and game balancing.

Also, the camera is from a higher angle and the graphics have been improved. Now the badniks explode when you destroy them :P

Welp. Looks like it's time to finally get some more use out of the ole iPad!

Nothing on Shadow yet? Well darn!

• Thumbs Up 1

Double posting because I finally whipped it out and looked into all the new bonuses.

Graphics look better, red rings are randomly placed throughout the course now, and there's also a lucrative microtransaction: a free revive ever run in exchange for a one-time fee of 2 USD.

Most startling is the global challenge: if 100 laps are scored by August 5th, they'll unlock Shadow.

Now, I'm not exactly sure how this works... they were kind of vague. But, it's currently at 0 of 100 on my end, with a slight green starting to fill up. I'm guessing everyone has to race and hope the accumulated runs add to 100 worldwide. Let's do this, gents!

In Sonic Jump, the global challenge consisted of measuring everyone's jump heights and putting it together to form a distance between Earth and the Moon. So in Dash we have to run the equivalent of 100 times from Earth to the Moon...

That's 384,400,000 meters... so assuming they want that... we're looking at 38,440,000,000 meters...

However, the challenge shows a picture of Earth, so if we're going by circumference, that's 40,075,000 meters... which means we have 4,000,075,000 meters in total to run together.

Like I said, let's do this, gents!

As of writing this, I have 2,166,000 meters to my name. Let us see how many I can get for the team...

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

Liking the new graphics, looks a lot more classic style than generations style, very bright and colourful!

Also loving the new camera angle, makes it loads easier to see Rings ahead, especially when boosting!

And I also think I saw a new obstacle combo or two, or maybe just an updated one, its still new!

How do you see how many you have done Ogilvie?

Also loving the new camera angle, makes it loads easier to see Rings ahead, especially when boosting!

The camera angle really was a brilliant change overall. Less nasty surprises, which means your reflexes aren't as important.

Of particular note, the Choppers seem to be less of an issue despite being more common again... maybe they tampered with the sensitivity for the homing attack?

How do you see how many you have done Ogilvie?

Go to Options, then click Stats near the bottom. smile.png

Just tested it out and they've changed the homing attack for sure. You now just have to tap the screen absolutely anywhere to do it. Way better than the dodgy target system from before.

Edited by Blue Blood

That target system was the bane of my life when it came to multiple enemies. My panicked tapping was never completely accurate. Good to hear they've fixed it. And I'm on board with participating in this global challenge. Having a Shadow skin would be coolies.

You know what I'd love a global challenge for? Changing the character aura's. seriously it's wierdjavong a blue aura for all the characters, and it'll be super wierd with shadow!

"Get a free revive on every run"

Awesome, can't wait to buy it with red rin-

$1.99

In other news, Sonic looks really ugly now. For some reason they made him all glossy.

Edit:Oh boy, just crashed on me.

Edited by Autosaver

So what distance are we all trying to add up to? Laps around earth? Laps between the Moon and Earth?

...laps between the ARK and Earth?

They could have been more specific!

Just checked! The distance is around the Earth's circumference. We got this in the bag, folks! It's up to 2 out of 100 though, so let's keep it up!

I am tempted to get the 1.99 free revives... those would be very lucrative...

We have 4.4 billion meters to run in total, and we're up to 2 percent of that... we have only 17 days, though...

They could have given us more time. tongue.png

I wonder why this isn't on Android yet. No code has to be changed when exporting a Unity iOS project to Android instead. It's literally like 3 clicks.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder why this isn't on Android yet. No code has to be changed when exporting a Unity iOS project to Android instead. It's literally like 3 clicks.

Hardlight's a small team as I recall so I'm guessing they're so caught up in their other projects they aren't really focusing on Dash.

If it really is that simple, chalk it up to bureaucratic incompetence: SEGA's been good at that this year, so for all we know Hardlight already has an Android version ready, but SEGA's taking forever to approve it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Look what showed up recently http://www.seganerds.com/2013/07/18/heres-what-you-need-to-do-to-unlock-shadow-in-sonic-dash/

So Hardlight Studios didn’t make it very clear exactly what you need to do to unlock Shadow the Hedgehog in Sonic Dash, but we’ll try to make things easier to understand.

Like we mentioned in a separate post on the latest Sonic Dash update, a new global challenge has been issued that involves EVERY Sonic Dashplayer. The challenge is for players to run a combined distance equivalent to going around the earth 100 times by Aug. 5.

If the challenge is met, Shadow will be unlocked as a free playable character.

So, if you measure the circumference of the earth at its equator, that’s approximately 24,900 miles. Multiply that by 100, and you get 2,490,000 miles that must be ran.

However, Sonic Dash calculates its distance using meters, so if you do all the fancy math, that means we need to run 4,007,266,560 meters by Aug. 5!!!!

My total distance ran is a measly 825,390 meters after nearly 10 hours of total gameplay time. Must do better!

Get cracking people! we got quite a lot to do

Edited by kimplix

Gotta run fast, guys!

I wish this came out for Android so I could contribute. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I went on Global Challenge, but I just got a white screen and nothing happened. What am I doing wrong, the same thing happened to me on Jump too.

I got that too, I can't see anything :/

I doubt we WON'T get shadow if we don't beat it, but we,ll probably have to wait it something

I doubt they would put time and money into something we wouldn't get anyway. I could understand if it hadn't been made, but someone already found the shadow textures on the game :P

If you're not connected to the Internet then the global challenge pae won't open and you just be stuck on a white screen. If you are connected but still get that, then I dunno.

I've for about 2million metres to my name so far, and the global counter is at 3 laps. I dun think we'll win this.

It's such a shame Sonic Dash isn't on Android.....yet.

You guys are hardcore! It's good to know fans still love Shadow enough that you are prepared to run around the world just to be able to play as him. 

Edited by Sexy Ass -Bender-

Thanks Bender! Now to just hope every collective fan does their part, no group could do this alone!

As for the challenge: why would we be able to win it? Then they couldn't sell him to us as a DLC!

I'm more curious what the 25 and 50% prizes will be, as those are the ones we will reach based on current projections.

4 billion meters though... good lord! I've got 140,000 since the challenge started (I doubt they're counting lifetime meters, only meters run since the challenge went live), so that puts me at... 0.000035% of the total. WELL, it's a start!

I want to run 4 million in total so I can have 0.1% to my name.

Obligatory reminder that my gamecenter ID is Tanicius!

Well as of right now we are on 9 laps, nearly 1/10 of the way there!

Now off to work and play Dash on the hour train commute!!!

Hmm, 9 already? We might actually have a shot at reaching 100! We have 15 more days to go, so that leaves... 6 laps per day?

Man, I think 4 per day is hard enough.

Shame! But then again, it lets Hardlight release him as a buyable content. tongue.png

Really this all strikes me as a stunt to get us all playing the game again so we'll end up buying one or two things...

But that's the cynical businessperson in me talking! I'm up to 200,000 meters so far... if nothing else being 200/360,000 is a small sense of accomplishment!

Wait, is it all of us together counted as 9 laps then?

Correct!

Every time you run these next two weeks or so, it's added to the counter and measured as "laps" around the Earth. So every person is doing their part when they run!

I think I might offer free drawings to whoever runs the longest distance to my watchers...

• Thumbs Up 1

I had no idea how far I have run for the contest lol! I'm sure it's quite a distance.

I've also found that I'm playing differently now, usually I collect rings and bank them, keeping the boost gauge for my double points, however now I'm using the boost web I get it to push me forward more