Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Solid SOAP

Just finished it 100% on my multiplayer file (with my brother).

Erm, maybe it's just me, but is there

absolutely no reward whatsoever for 100% completion besides getting five stars on your file?

Just finished it 100% on my multiplayer file (with my brother).

Erm, maybe it's just me, but is there

absolutely no reward whatsoever for 100% completion besides getting five stars on your file?

Seriously?! Are you serious? I hated that crap on SMW. What is this? Kindergaten?

I thought you unlock a stage in World 9 when you 100% Star Coins in a world, or do you just unlock all World 9 stages by beating the main game?

Edited by Hero Of Fate

You unlock world 9 by beating Bowser in world 8. You unlock the levels in world 9 by collecting all the star coins from the previous worlds (all star coins from world 1 unlocks 9-1, and so on).

Of course, beating everything in world 9 and getting the star coins from those levels is part of getting 100%, so no, there's no 100% reward besides the fifth star (and infinite mushroom house use).

• 1 month later...

So after playing this game with my little brother since Christmas I can safely say this game can go fuck itself.

It is impossible for me to enjoy this game, not because it's a bad game, but because the multiplayer mode is only as fun as the people you play with. I'm not afraid to say that my 7 year brother is a twat when playing this game, screaming at me and going off in a hissy fit for stupid reasons. So far I've been told to NEVER get power ups because he wants to get them for the score (which is shared anyway), if I do get a powerup I have to kill myself immediatly, I am never allowed to have more extra lives than him because 'it's not fair', he always has to pass through the end of level flag before me, I'm not allowed to get checkpoints, I have to let him steal all my turns in Mushroom houses and I have to lose on purpose in 1-Up houses.

It is PAINFUL to play this game with him, I imagine it'd be quite fun with people my age but with a 7 year old devil child it's a horrible experience.

So after playing this game with my little brother since Christmas I can safely say this game can go fuck itself.

It is impossible for me to enjoy this game, not because it's a bad game, but because the multiplayer mode is only as fun as the people you play with. I'm not afraid to say that my 7 year brother is a twat when playing this game, screaming at me and going off in a hissy fit for stupid reasons. So far I've been told to NEVER get power ups because he wants to get them for the score (which is shared anyway), if I do get a powerup I have to kill myself immediatly, I am never allowed to have more extra lives than him because 'it's not fair', he always has to pass through the end of level flag before me, I'm not allowed to get checkpoints, I have to let him steal all my turns in Mushroom houses and I have to lose on purpose in 1-Up houses.

It is PAINFUL to play this game with him, I imagine it'd be quite fun with people my age but with a 7 year old devil child it's a horrible experience.

Hahaha thats totally true! I enjoy playing this game alone and also with some friends and it was awesome fun, but my 8 year old cousin came to play and oh my!!! what a pain in the a$$! its hard to have fun when he doesnt let you do anything @_@

Have you played it in single player?

Since I got the game (around launch) I have gotten about halfway through World 2 in single player, choosing not to play it in favour of various RPGs and action games. So my "a few months later" opinion is that NSMBW in single player is pretty average "fun", a solid platformer, but that's all.

In multiplayer it's brilliant, but yeah depending on who you play with. Also thanks to the lack of online I can rarely play more than 2 player.

Is it worth forking out full price for this or should I wait till it comes down in price? I'm really that interested in this game, but I'd be up for playing it as a 'just so I played it'.

Have you tried hitting him?

...okay, so that's not always the solution. Is there anyway you can play it alone?

Oh my god I have a brother like this. You know what to do? Everything he tells you not to do. He can get over it or fuck off. Hell, start throwing him into the pits if he really starts being stupid about it.

I don't care what anyone says, best thing you can do is just not give a shit if they start whining. Unless you're the one being an ass of course.

Anyways, game is great. The levels are wonderfully hard (Except all of World 3. God I hate ice worlds.) and it's quite fun. I'm at World 5 right now, haven't played in a while. Also some of the Star Coins are really well hidden, it's kind of annoying.

Damn, there was nothing amazing and special to unlock after all, and I hid away from this topic til I was 100% done, haha.

Things I loved:

- Hint movies. I beat the whole game 100% without having to look up a guide when I got stuck and potentially spoil unlockables, which is awesome. They also seem to know EXACTLY which exits/star coins are unreasonable to find and add hint movies for.

- World 8. Man what a well-balanced, fun and exciting finale. The best in any 2D Mario game without a doubt.

- More varied music. I love the NSMB theme, but glad they added plenty of new music too, and snowy-fied it up for World 3.

- Multiplayer is good fun too.

- Level design while not quite as varied as NSMB, is on the whole very good, with lots of nice surprises and rewards for those who learn what clues to look for in aesthetics when searching for secrets.

My only dissapointments?

- The truly final level isn't quite as epic as Mario World's, though good effort.

- Multiplayer does feel a bit cluttered. It does at times feel more like you're just ALL playing at the same time rather than co-operatively. It's well thought out though, the bubble system alone does wonders for players of different skill levels. Though Free Play does get kind of old. There's something more fun about going through a whole adventure together. Coin Battle is only really fun when everyone is at equal ability.

- Not very user-friendly. You kind of have to constantly explain stuff to non-Mario-savvy friends as you play (this might be why the above comment on multiplayer rang true for me). You'd be amazed just what kind of things us Mario fans take for granted that casual gamers are a bit flummoxed by (having to hold a button to run for example, as well as the curious controls for picking up and throwing objects).

Still, I think it's a perfect difficulty level for Mario veterans indeed. It was tough but fair, and I'm VERY proud of my glittering 5 stars on my file, even if I did use hint movies to find some hidden stuff.

Played through it in single player, meh, it was quite average for a Mario game. Still exceptional no doubt, but I've been playing alot of Mario Advance 3 and 4 lately (Yoshi's Island and Mario Bros 3 lol) and it feels too far detached from the old Mario games for me to properly enjoy it.

Yeah there's a certain novelty in making a modern game just the original game but Mario Bros 1 (or Mario World) is arguably the dullest Mario game ever released, it wasn't stylish at all. Whereas SMB3 and Yoshi's Island really gorgeoused up the Mario style with some slick design features an art styles, to see all that tossed out and replaced with... dullness is quite irritating. Even the features from later games they've reintroduced are coated in boringness, once you've played one Yoshi level you've played them all.

The power-ups are shitty and handed to you on a plate, you get ALL OF THEM in World 1, nothing is held back for later levels. In SMB3 you couldn't get the frog suit until World 3 (or 2 if you knew where the secret mushroom house was), the Tanooki suit until World 4 and the Hammer Bros suit until World 6. In this game it's like 'HERE HAVE ALL THE POWER UPS ENJOY'. You get the Penguin Suit and the Ice Flower within only stages of eachother, which is annoying because the Penguin suit is to the Ice Flower what the Tanooki suit is to the Leaf, exactly the same bit with an extra effect (in this case the ability to slide across water).

Music is annoying, the NSMB theme isn't classic, it's just shit, I don't like it being used for essentially every level that isn't underwater or in a cave.

The boss battles were amazing, the castles were not. I would have liked abit more variety rather than 'climb to the top of this long ass tower while giant fuckoff spiked poles try to knock you down' over and over. Kamek boss fight was the highlight of this whole game for me, was completely unexpected and I'm glad to see him and the Koopalings return as main characters.

Wall jump needs to fuck off and die, it's great in 3D Mario but in 2D Mario it kills you more than it saves you.

Overall a great game, just a very lacklustre Mario game.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's hard to believe how exactly opposite I am of your opinion. o_o

Yeah there's a certain novelty in making a modern game just the original game but Mario Bros 1 (or Mario World) is arguably the dullest Mario game ever released, it wasn't stylish at all. Whereas SMB3 and Yoshi's Island really gorgeoused up the Mario style with some slick design features an art styles, to see all that tossed out and replaced with... dullness is quite irritating. Even the features from later games they've reintroduced are coated in boringness, once you've played one Yoshi level you've played them all.

Mario 3 had a unique style? (Ignoring Yoshi's Island because it's as much a Mario game as Wario Land is). I actually find NSMB reminds me of Mario 3 WAY more than it reminds me of Mario 1. Both are very standard Mario style. I guess Mario 3 had a few surreal textures but NSMB has that in truckloads too if you really look at stuff, like the brickwork in the fortress stages, for example.

The power-ups are shitty and handed to you on a plate, you get ALL OF THEM in World 1, nothing is held back for later levels. In SMB3 you couldn't get the frog suit until World 3 (or 2 if you knew where the secret mushroom house was), the Tanooki suit until World 4 and the Hammer Bros suit until World 6. In this game it's like 'HERE HAVE ALL THE POWER UPS ENJOY'. You get the Penguin Suit and the Ice Flower within only stages of eachother, which is annoying because the Penguin suit is to the Ice Flower what the Tanooki suit is to the Leaf, exactly the same bit with an extra effect (in this case the ability to slide across water).

I don't see what's wrong with the power-ups, the ice flower lends itself to lots of nice new gameplay, especially puzzles to get star coins. I think they did a pretty good job making them nice and original this time. Not a single one felt pointless or gimmicky (as in, they all had many alternate uses depending on the situation).

Music is annoying, the NSMB theme isn't classic, it's just shit, I don't like it being used for essentially every level that isn't underwater or in a cave.

Annoying is subjective, but in the game's defense, it plays the main overworld themes way less than any previous Mario game has ever done, thanks to the desert, jungle and lava stages all having their own unique themes too.

The boss battles were amazing, the castles were not. I would have liked abit more variety rather than 'climb to the top of this long ass tower while giant fuckoff spiked poles try to knock you down' over and over. Kamek boss fight was the highlight of this whole game for me, was completely unexpected and I'm glad to see him and the Koopalings return as main characters.

Not much to say about this one. I thought the castles were plenty varied, though they did use the giant spiky poles set piece a LOT, I agree. If anything my only disagreement here is that the bosses were too easy because of a retro handover. The whole thing of them jumping into their shells after every hit makes the bosses stupidly short if you just learn the timing and jump on them again after they finish spinning in their shells - just like in the old days.

Wall jump needs to fuck off and die, it's great in 3D Mario but in 2D Mario it kills you more than it saves you.

This one though, couldn't disagree more. Wall jump has done nothing but save me from falls that would have killed me in the old games. I don't even know HOW it could kill you in a situation where you weren't about to die without it anyway.

Not attacking you in any way of course. I always feel compelled to respond to people when the ole case of "seriously, did we play the same game here?" differing of opinion kicks in.

Edited by JezMM

I love how Nintendo was like 'LOL LET'S PUT YOSHIS ON THE COVER' and Yoshis are in a grand total of six fucking levels out of like 90+. What a kick in the balls.

The game is pretty fun, but after playing Castle Crashers for the first time just before playing this, it almost seems bad.

I dunno Castle Crashers was awfully repetitive.

But if you had said 'Splosion Man I might have agreed with you ;)

And yes, as a big Yoshi fan I am deeply insulted.

Mario 3 had a unique style? (Ignoring Yoshi's Island because it's as much a Mario game as Wario Land is)
The whole game is set up like it's a play on a stage, if you didn't notice.

The whole game is set up like it's a play on a stage, if you didn't notice.

I obviously noticed the intro screens and stuff but now all the texture choices and slightly "wooden" feel make complete sense. Damn that's actually pretty cool, I take back my comment about that. I still find Mario 3 to be my least favourite Mario platformer, but that has made me like it a little more than I did before.

(Ignoring Yoshi's Island because it's as much a Mario game as Wario Land is).

Not really, it's a prequel but still a main series game, it was subtitled Mario World 2. I suppose it's like the ShTH of the Mario series, except you know... good.

I don't see what's wrong with the power-ups, the ice flower lends itself to lots of nice new gameplay, especially puzzles to get star coins. I think they did a pretty good job making them nice and original this time. Not a single one felt pointless or gimmicky (as in, they all had many alternate uses depending on the situation).
Theres nothing wrong with them (except maybe the Propeller Mushroom which makes everything so much fucking easier ) it's just that, like I said, they are handed to you on a plate. There are only two Mushroom houses in SMB3 which contain Tanooki suits, beyond that they can only be obtained by getting a gameover and going back to said Mushroom house (hindering your progress) or by finding them in incredibly well hidden places in certain stages. If you want a Propeller suit in NSMBWii you go back to the first level and within seconds you are given one.

Not much to say about this one. I thought the castles were plenty varied, though they did use the giant spiky poles set piece a LOT, I agree. If anything my only disagreement here is that the bosses were too easy because of a retro handover. The whole thing of them jumping into their shells after every hit makes the bosses stupidly short if you just learn the timing and jump on them again after they finish spinning in their shells - just like in the old days.

Oh yeah they were easy, no doubt there, but seeing Mario Bros 3 boss fights given a Yoshi's Island makeover was the highlight of the whole game for me.

This one though, couldn't disagree more. Wall jump has done nothing but save me from falls that would have killed me in the old games. I don't even know HOW it could kill you in a situation where you weren't about to die without it anyway.
I'm just too used to classic Mario controls xD. But things like cogs in castles have killed me because I've stuck to the side of it instead of just falling to where I've wanted to go.

Not really, it's a prequel but still a main series game, it was subtitled Mario World 2. I suppose it's like the ShTH of the Mario series, except you know... good.

Just a marketing gimmick unfortunately. The game had no such subtitle in Japan. To be honest (as much as it pains me to say it because it was my first, and still a favourite, video-game) Super Mario Bros. 2 is likewise not -REALLY- part of the main series.

The gameplay differences are way too evident. Besides, ShTH still had the same sorta gameplay behind the guns. Yoshi has egg throwing, totally different enemies, power-ups and combat, encourages major exploration etc.

To the rest of your post... I give a collective "Ah I see, that opinion makes more sense to me now." X3

Edited by JezMM

Not really, it's a prequel but still a main series game, it was subtitled Mario World 2.

"Subtitle"? Yoshi's Island is the subtitle of Super Mario World 2. xD As of why Yoshi's Island is the most commonly used title, I have no idea. It was called by its full title when it came out here, by both my friends and I and the stores (as far as I know): Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. =9

I also agree with the wall-jumping. I cannot think of a single time it has killed me, contrary to always being a life saver and adding gameplay and ways to reach new places and secret areas. Really, I would have died so, so much more without it. Hehe. *Imagines the dying sound just now* X_X;

Just a marketing gimmick unfortunately. The game had no such subtitle in Japan. To be honest (as much as it pains me to say it because it was my first, and still a favourite, video-game) Super Mario Bros. 2 is likewise not -REALLY- part of the main series.

Super Mario Bros. 2? believe you are confusing that with Super Mario World 2. Super Mario Bros. 2 was just a cheap rip-off from a Mario-unrelated Japanese game, whilst the real Super Mario Bros. 2 was outside Japan titled as Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels. =O

"Subtitle"? Yoshi's Island is the subtitle of Super Mario World 2. xD As of why Yoshi's Island is the most commonly used title, I have no idea. It was called by its full title when it came out here, by both my friends and I and the stores (as far as I know): Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. =9

What he was saying is that "Super Mario World 2" was never in the Japanese release. It was added later to the American release to add sales. Just like Sonic was added for Sega Allstars racing.

I don't see Yoshi's Island as a mainseries game. Why do people care? Nowadays the Mario spinoffs have far more depth than the mainseries games anyway...

Super Mario Bros. 2? believe you are confusing that with Super Mario World 2. Super Mario Bros. 2 was just a cheap rip-off from a Mario-unrelated Japanese game, whilst the real Super Mario Bros. 2 was outside Japan titled as Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels. =O

I'm well aware of the origins of Mario Bros. 2 and Lost Levels, that's why I was saying it's not really part of the main Mario series, just as Yoshi's Island isn't. Lost Levels, or JP Mario Bros. 2, is of course.

Also, *covers Mario 2's precious ears* Cheap rip-off nothing. 8I That game introduced hundreds of awesome and key elements into the Mario series. I think it was a good call to release that instead of Lost Levels for western audiences. Of course as said, it was my first game, so I'll defend it to the grave.

Anyway yeah, essentially, if collecting mushrooms doesn't make you big, I feel it's not part of the main 2D Mario series.

Edited by JezMM