Awoo.

Which Sonic Game has the best soundtrack?

Chaos Incarnate

I'd say with confidence that Sonic Chronicles has the best soundtrack. Some of the tracks were out of tune, and did have a weird feel to them at times (Mystic Ruins), but ultimately I liked them. Not too sure if Bioware just pulled fan remixes for the music or if they just made the music last minute, but whether they did this or not I find the music to be incredibly enjoyable. Music like Blue Ridge Zone and Metropolis had a melancholy feel to them and it fit the theme of the game perfectly.

Some find the OST to be horrid, but I personally really like it. 

http://youtu.be/oOcYaPb3zDg

huh.png

Surely you jest?

This is how you competently compose that song;

Lovely 'dimension' to the sound, total lack of ear-jarring disharmonious symphony sound quality-wise and no off-notes.

Considering that the songs were allegedly just taken from Internet Midi sites and this has a fair amount of credibility considering some have an extreme resemblance to John Weeks AKA "Espiokaos'' Midi compositions, Chronicles' soundtracks amounts to little more than plagiarization. On top of that, a lot of the songs were not appropriate to the places they played to.

Tidal Tempest Past is in no way suiting of Metropolis Ground Zero.

MD Diamond Dust Zone does not suit Central City whatsoever.

MD The Final Fight does not suit Mystic Ruin.

A few cases are arguable but what ultimately lets it down is extremely weedy instrumentation and off notes. I honestly feel sorry for Richard Jacques, having his awesome songs taken and raped by Bioware into these disgusting parodies sleep.png I do wonder if he's heard Chronicles' soundtrack and what he thought of it?

• Thumbs Up 2

^Wow. Even though I always thought Metropolis was the only sub-par hub music from Chronicles, but that track was far better by comparison. Why did it take me so long to hear it just now?

^Wow. Even though I always thought Metropolis was the only sub-par hub music from Chronicles, but that track was far better by comparison. Why did it take me so long to hear it just now?

Blue Ridge Zone was also based off of Saturn 3D Blast's Diamond Dust Zone

Whilst the Kron Colony was based off of Saturn 3D Blast's Volcano Valley

I firmly believe that Jacques is too brilliant a composer to have settled for such a low quality soundtrack regarding Chronicles, which backs-up the notion that the final soundtrack is altered fan made Midi's.

• Thumbs Up 1

90% of Chronicles' OST is just stripped down MIDIs of existing Sonic tracks, mostly taken from Sonic 3D Blast (both versions), Sonic CD (JP), and Sonic 3 & Knuckles. The only original tracks in the game are the Battle themes and cutscene music.

As for my favorite Sonic OSTs, they'd have to be Sonic 3 & Knuckles, the Sonic Adventure series, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic CD JP, and Sonic Generations.

Yeah, as stated earlier, many people don't like the soundtrack at all, which I guess is pretty understandable. Personally though, I think it's very nice. It's hard to believe so many people dislike it so much but I can understand why.

The soundtrack appeals to me so much because it's so different. Despite being a minor form of 'plagarism' the soundtrack itself is fresh and different.

But that's just how I feel.

Edited by Rebelle
  • Thumbs Up 1

Unleashed soundtrack is probably one of my favorites, everywhere (well not everywhere because that werehog battle music just got tedious) ranging from the levels or even to the hubs or the cutscene music were just brilliant. I thought Unleashed made use of some excellent instruments and sound, Jungle Joyride Night with all its saxaphone glory is a perfect example. We also have songs very fitting to the locale of each stages, such as Holoska Night Hub, which is a calm, relaxing melody in a nice, cozy setting. The song itself is filled with an amazing tone that has honestly gone on to be one of my favorite non-vocal Sonic songs ever. Furthermore, we also have more bright and cheery songs such as the famous Rooftop Run Day or Cool Edge day, both rocking that guitar in a bright, cheery level. The energy in both of these songs are brilliant and overall add to the feeling you get while running through the buildings of Rooftop Run and the slopes of Cool Edge. And we also have the cutscene music. Combined with the excellent visuals and the fantastic animation of Sonic Unleashed, the music truly adds to the atmosphere, especially in the cutscene at Adabat Night, before the confrontation with Eggman. There's a brilliant piano and then later a mix of the World Map theme, and it just integrates itself into the cutscene very well.

Songs referenced:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nXIRim960k - Jungle Joyride Night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD1GEgkcCA8 - Holoska Hub World Night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0piixxCTmo - Rooftop Run Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa11tMeCqNE - Cool Edge Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crNoBnym31o - Sonic and Chip at Adabat Night (2:46 - 5:56; World Map mix begins at 5:15)

I do enjoy the soundtrack to Unleashed a lot. People hardly ever bring it up, but I have to say it's one of my favorites. Music in the cutscenes was beautifal, giving us an epic, orchestral feel, while the music in the actual levels and hub worlds reflected whatever part of the world you were in. For instance, Spagonia/ rooftop run makes you feel like you're visiting Italy and Spain, thanks to the spanish guitars and violins. I also really enjoy the Night music, even though we hardly get to hear it. The only track in the game I truly don't like at all is the werehog battle music, which gets old really fast.

Edited by Knightofthewind417

• 3 weeks later...

My goodness. Sonic has so great soundtracks it's really hard to pick just one to be my favorite.  I found myself going back and listening to so many of them.

But if I had to pick, I would have to say Sonic Unleashed (Sonic World Adventure) is my favorite in the series.  The environmental, theme-fitting, and high energy music tracks are just such a blast to listen to.  The softer, slower, moving tracks I highly enjoy as well (Played Holoska's nighttime hub music while writing this post). I loved every single piece of this game's music; from the levels, hubs, bosses (Perfect Dark Gaia boss theme FTW!), to the vocal themes, the Sonic Unleashed OST was just amazing. I love it so much!

• Thumbs Up 1

Probably a really unpopular opinion and I'm not saying it's the best one out there, but I've always had this little soft spot for Sonic 3D Blast, both Genesis and Saturn versions. The Saturn version in particular had a lot of tracks that I love, You're My Hero is also a little bit of a guilty pleasure for me.

It's hard for me to put into words why I like the Saturn version, honestly.

Oh man. There's a lot of Sonic games that have great soundtracks. But I think I'd choose Sonic CD and Sonic 1, because their songs were so upbeat, catchy and great to listen to for 16 bit themes. I especially love the classic Sonic 1 Green Hill Zone music, and the Sonic CD USA boss music.

Sonic Generations had a lot of remakes of classic songs from all the games and they were really well done.

And if I had to choose my favorite Sonic music. It'd be Seaside Hill's music from Sonic Heroes.

Edited by jazo123

A question like this is damn near impossible for me to give a 100% honest answer to. One day I'll say Unleashed, then the next day I'll say Sonic CD. With a few exceptions, nearly all Sonic games have a great soundtrack. Some tracks in some games I prefer over some tracks in some other games, giving one game a possible edge over the other one.

I like S3&K's soundtrack because there is so much variety, and all of the music in it sticks in my head. I like CD's(JP) soundtrack because of how energetic it feels. Whenever I listen to it, I feel like i'm in some kind of dance club. I like Unleashed's soundtrack for the same reason I like S3&K's soundtrack and more. You have all of your variety, from the calm and peaceful feeling I get from Cool Edge at night, or the epic feeling of running through a jungle while smashing into robots at 300mph in Jungle Joyride day. 

I think I've come to realize that I'll never have an actual favorite Sonic soundtrack. There are so many options to chose from, and I have my own little personal favorites in all of them.

I'm leaning on Sonic Adventure.

The levels have great music, one of my favorites being Emerald Coast.

The Invincible tone is amazing.

Open Your Heart is probably one of my favorite songs from the series.

Also, the character themes go perfectly with them. I love how they all describe the character perfectly, Big's is so fun to listen to!

I love so many of the soundtracks from games it's hard to answer, but I can try.

Of any of the modern 3d games I'd have to say Hero's. I really love the music throughout the game and think it's overall some of the best "recent" music...To be fair I'm horribly biased to Hero's in general though.

Of the classic games Sonic CD JP. I hated the US soundtrack, but loved the Japanese one. The music is very upbeat and exactly what I'd expect from a Sonic game. For me the soundtrack of Sonic CD is a make or break thing, I just won't play it with the US music.

While not really a proper Sonic game (I guess) I love the Music from Knuckles Chaotix. Overall it has to be my single favourite game in terms of music in any Sonic game.

While not really a proper Sonic game (I guess) I love the Music from Knuckles Chaotix. Overall it has to be my single favourite game in terms of music in any Sonic game.

Really? wow. I've never heard anyone praise the soundtrack of Knuckles Chaotix. Although, usually everyone is too busy complaining about how bad the actual game is, but still.

Really? wow. I've never heard anyone praise the soundtrack of Knuckles Chaotix. Although, usually everyone is too busy complaining about how bad the actual game is, but still.

Yah really smile.png

I know most don't, but I love more or less the entire game. I think the music is excellent, I like the style of graphics and I really like the game play.

The music in particular I like because it still sounds very MD-ish, but at the same time the added audio capabilities of the 32X give it its own unique sound that I find very easy on the ears.

I don't know why I like the game so much, but something about it really appeals to me and I love sitting down and spending some time playing it.

Maybe that's what I should put down in that guilty pleasures topic smile.png

(I also like the 50hz PAL version of Sonic 1's music so I might just be crazy)

Edited by SkyLlama

• 3 weeks later...

I'm gonna have to say either Heroes or Rush.

What's funny is that I remember myself about a year ago screaming and covering my ears whenever I heard the Rush soundtrack. I have no idea why. I love every single track from both of these games.

I'll also throw in that for my money, I think Shadow has the best vocal tracklist. I love every single song on there. When it comes to SA1, SA2 and Black Knight, there's like 3 songs that I just can't listen to over and over again. With Heroes, I really don't like This Machine that much. But with the Shadow one? I'll start off I Am All of Me, and listen all the way to the end. 

• 1 month later...

Unleashed for me, its really lovely especially jungle joyride night stage, its got a nice feel to the whole soundtrack, love shamar and empire city music to, and the ending song is really nice, i think black knight is brilliant is well, such instruments.

After a couple months, the soundtrack to Unleashed has grown on me tremendously, and is my absolute favorite Sonic soundtrack of all time. Adventure and Cd's japanese soundtrack do rank close, but Unleashed has the most diversity out of any Sonic soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-CJ3kPrZrU

This is the title theme of the game, and man, what an amazing way to start off the music. Sega hired the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra to compose this track. It feels triumphant and heroic, getting you ready to save the world from Dr. Eggman and Dark Gaia. 

The cutscene music in this game is my favorite out of the whole series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLzOu-Xcfu8

I can't get enough out of this track. It starts out feeling a little reserved and has a melancholy feel to it. Dark Gaia has been defeated, and the whole world is cheering that they've been saved. However, Sonic is in a bit of a tight spot at the moment. The song closes with a triumphant melody, making you feel like you've accomplished something. I could say that about nearly every cutscene song in the game: booming, melancholy, and triumphant.

Now we move on to the hub world music. Much of the tracks in the day hub worlds sound cheery and light hearted. Night Tracks are more reserved, and remix the melody of the day tunes to fit better with the darkness. I prefer almost every single Night hub world song, but the day themes are enjoyable as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83UetU7TjT4

My favorite hub world song. "It's so sweet and tender."

Now we move on to the stage themes in the game, easily the most diverse out of any Sonic soundtrack. Day themes can generally be described as fast pace, heart pumping songs, each with their own genre of music. For instance, Dragon Road day comes off as oriental, due to being similar to China, while Skyscraper Scamper Day is urban jazz, due to being similar to New York City. That's what I love about this soundtrack. Each song gets the genre from the location, and fits perfectly. My favorite would have to be Rooftop Run Day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0piixxCTmo

Easily the most energetic day tune, next to Skyscraper Scamper Day. I give the edge to Rooftop Run, because I'm a sucker for the electric guitar.

Night themes are nice as well. I enjoy them, but prefer the day themes for two reasons. One, they're a bit too slow for my liking, and aren't exactly catchy to me. Two, I hardly ever get to hear them, because of that damn battle theme, which gets old really fast. Because of that, I don't have as much appreciation for them. My favorite night theme would have to be foot tapping, Broadway-jazz Skyscraper Scamper night theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2BWQjLacuo

Boss themes are pretty sweet. I love the night boss theme, because it reminds me of the old Chips Ahoy commercials back in the day. Stage clear music is sweet, even though it's just the shortened world adventure theme. The E rank music is hilarious, though. It really tells you how much of a failure you are at the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yODLkaF8F-Y

Final boss theme is nice. Taking cues from Solaris Phase 2, it's an orchestral remix of the main theme of Sonic Unleashed, "Endless Possibility", by Jaret Reddick of "Bowling for Soup". Speaking of, I love this song. It perfectly describes the events of the game through Sonic's eyes. Really fitting, and nice vocals to go along with it.

What can I say? I really can't get enough out of this soundtrack. It features the most diversity out of any soundtrack, seeing as how each location/stage draws from the culture of whatever it's inspired by. The orchestral songs are really powerful, driving home a lot of emotions in me. "Endless Possibility", is one of my favorite vocal songs in the whole series. Congratulations to everyone who worked on this soundtrack, especially Fumie Kumatani and Tomoya Ohtani.

Edited by Knightofthewind417
  • Thumbs Up 4

It's really hard to pick my favorite, but I especially like these: Sonic CD (JP/EU and US), Sonic 2, Sonic 3D (Saturn and Genesis), Knuckles Chaotix, and of course Sonic 1 (16-bit and 8-bit) smile.png Though almost all Sonic games have kick-ass soundtracks smile.png

Edited by SonicDude
  • Thumbs Up 1

After a couple months, the soundtrack to Unleashed has grown on me tremendously, and is my absolute favorite Sonic soundtrack of all time. Adventure and Cd's japanese soundtrack do rank close, but Unleashed has the most diversity out of any Sonic soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-CJ3kPrZrU

This is the title theme of the game, and man, what an amazing way to start off the music. Sega hired the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra to compose this track. It feels triumphant and heroic, getting you ready to save the world from Dr. Eggman and Dark Gaia. 

The cutscene music in this game is my favorite out of the whole series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLzOu-Xcfu8

I can't get enough out of this track. It starts out feeling a little reserved and has a melancholy feel to it. Dark Gaia has been defeated, and the whole world is cheering that they've been saved. However, Sonic is in a bit of a tight spot at the moment. The song closes with a triumphant melody, making you feel like you've accomplished something. I could say that about nearly every cutscene song in the game: booming, melancholy, and triumphant.

Now we move on to the hub world music. Much of the tracks in the day hub worlds sound cheery and light hearted. Night Tracks are more reserved, and remix the melody of the day tunes to fit better with the darkness. I prefer almost every single Night hub world song, but the day themes are enjoyable as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83UetU7TjT4

My favorite hub world song. "It's so sweet and tender."

Now we move on to the stage themes in the game, easily the most diverse out of any Sonic soundtrack. Day themes can generally be described as fast pace, heart pumping songs, each with their own genre of music. For instance, Dragon Road day comes off as oriental, due to being similar to China, while Skyscraper Scamper Day is urban jazz, due to being similar to New York City. That's what I love about this soundtrack. Each song gets the genre from the location, and fits perfectly. My favorite would have to be Rooftop Run Day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0piixxCTmo

Easily the most energetic day tune, next to Skyscraper Scamper Day. I give the edge to Rooftop Run, because I'm a sucker for the electric guitar.

Night themes are nice as well. I enjoy them, but prefer the day themes for two reasons. One, they're a bit too slow for my liking, and aren't exactly catchy to me. Two, I hardly ever get to hear them, because of that damn battle theme, which gets old really fast. Because of that, I don't have as much appreciation for them. My favorite night theme would have to be foot tapping, Broadway-jazz Skyscraper Scamper night theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2BWQjLacuo

Boss themes are pretty sweet. I love the night boss theme, because it reminds me of the old Chips Ahoy commercials back in the day. Stage clear music is sweet, even though it's just the shortened world adventure theme. The E rank music is hilarious, though. It really tells you how much of a failure you are at the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yODLkaF8F-Y

Final boss theme is nice. Taking cues from Solaris Phase 2, it's an orchestral remix of the main theme of Sonic Unleashed, "Endless Possibility", by Jaret Reddick of "Bowling for Soup". Speaking of, I love this song. It perfectly describes the events of the game through Sonic's eyes. Really fitting, and nice vocals to go along with it.

What can I say? I really can't get enough out of this soundtrack. It features the most diversity out of any soundtrack, seeing as how each location/stage draws from the culture of whatever it's inspired by. The orchestral songs are really powerful, driving home a lot of emotions in me. "Endless Possibility", is one of my favorite vocal songs in the whole series. Congratulations to everyone who worked on this soundtrack, especially Fumie Kumatani and Tomoya Ohtani.

That's great what you said, i feel the same way about the soundtrack to, my favourite song on that must be dear my friend and jungle joyride music.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic CD (JP) and Sonic Adventure are tied for me, without a doubt.

SCDJP has probably some of the best composed music in the entire series; and definitely a bold entry for it's time as well. It was some of the first mixtures of western House and acid music with that J-pop sound, and it mixed just about perfectly for every track. Lots of sampling, breakbeats, synths and presets combined with wonderfully intricate melodies and progressions unlike anything the series had before or after (regardless of how good it all has been).

Meanwhile, Sonic Adventure I think defined how a more down-to-earth Sonic game should feel with higher tech than a Genesis soundchip. Lots of variety, but all the 'Sonic' sound. Very strong and atmospheric tracks, ranging from driving rock, big band jazz, heavy metal hiphop, electronic pop very remnant of SCD, bubblegum pop, and various other wild genres. And everything is just... so so catchy and well done. It compasses how I feel Sonic should sound.

Under these games, I have four games that also tie:

- Sonic 3D Blast Saturn; which has a beautifully high quality soundtrack based around one consistent melody,

- Sonic Unleashed; which is easily the most purposefully atmospheric of all the Sonic OSTs,

- Sonic Advance; which has this indescribable magic feeling that could be related to how much smooth jazz influence it seems to have,

and

- Sonic 2; which is such an influentially memorable soundtrack that it's basically a sin to not mention it

Runner ups below these would have to be Sonic 3K, S3D Genesis, Sonic Advance 2, Sonic Adventure 2, and Sonic R.

Edited by Azookara
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 definitely had the best music BY FAR. Oh gosh, Chemical Plant, don't get me going!

In terms of 3D games, I'd say Sonic Colors. It was definitely a smart decision to replace Crush 40 with Cash Cash for that game.

Sonic CD JP soundtrack is by far the most intelligent and also the best.

Almost all Sonic games have a KICKASS soundtrack though!

Sonic is fucking amazing!!!! biggrin.png

The first two Genesis games are tied for first for me, with Sonic Colors close behind.

Marble Zone, Chemical Plant Zone, Green Hill Zone, and Aquatic Ruin Zone stand out to me in the Genesis games as matching not only the theme of their respective levels but also the flow of them from a gameplay standpoint. I absolutely love playing those games on my Nomad with a nice set of headphones one. There's really not a bad track on them, and the boss music from both is permanently burned into my brain. Absolutely iconic.

As for Colors, I think it's the first time in the 3D series I liked every track. All of them have at least two or three that I love but Colors is so consistent, and so entirely committed to the concept of the game.

• Thumbs Up 1