Awoo.

Chaos Emeralds

Scar

The magic part of the emeralds comes from their unlimited energy (BIIIIG physics breaker there) and their ability to do pretty much f*cking anything. Up to and including time travel and raising the dead (as stupid as it is).

Those cryogenics folks are proven correct! Success! XD

But yes you make a good point. With enough energy all the laws of physics get curbstomped...

• 1 year later...

Supposedly they are supposed to have limitless energy right? Well if that's the case wouldn't someone in a super transformation be more powerful than what we've seen? Maybe I'm taking the description of the emeralds to literally? 

It's also said that it transforms thoughts into power? Wouldn't that make someone omnipotent unless there was some unspecified limit that I didn't know about. Also if they have limitless energy, wouldn't a person need only one of them? How could they power machines? Wouldn't the power be too much for the machines to handle or something?

A little help here please? 

Edited by Diz
Topic Merge: About the Chaos Emeralds -> Chaos Emeralds

At the end of the day, the Chaos Emeralds are plot devices only limited by what the story needs them to do, so I wouldn't worry too much over things like Eggman's planet buster not getting fried from so much power.

Edit: Also about the master emerald, it can nullify or enhance the other emeralds powers, but how do you enhance what is limitless? Also sorry for making a new thread, didn't know about this one. 

I'd assume that while the power of the emeralds is infinite, it doesn't necessarily mean that the user has access to all of that infinite power. It could be that the Master Emerald makes the emeralds allow more power to the user.

Even if they describe the emeralds' power as infinite, it's not clear in what sense it's infinite. If you imagine a bottomless well, for example, no matter how many buckets of water you take out, it'll never run dry...but you're still only pulling out a bucket at a time.

So the power of the emeralds can be infinite even without people having the ability to use it all at once. One emerald alone can produce incredible amounts of power in the hands of a person/machine who can access and use it, but there's still an upper limit of power per second.

Having more emeralds at once would mean more power per second even if each individual emerald was still outputting the same amount, naturally. Though it's not really clear why Sonic gets no apparent benefit out of having 6 emeralds, but can turn Super when he has 7. You just have to accept that that's how it works.

What bugs me over the Chaos Emeralds is how they've simply become "collect us to win" gimmicks and haven't really been used as a decent plot device since S3&K & Adventure/2

I don't know if I agree with that or not.

While they have had their share of times not feeling so useful, there's also been times after Adventure 2, like in Sonic Unleashed, that had a pretty good plot concerning the Chaos Emeralds. I mean, it did help Sonic put the planet back together, not to mention helped him defeat Perfect Dark Gaia, because we all know Chip didn't do that much.