Awoo.

Is Shadow the Hedgehog really a bad game? Or was a underrated gem?

Lange

I'm not really defending Black Arms themselves. (I again repeat my own words......). I'm against that bullshit that they do not fit in the game when they clearly do. I've repeated myself like.. 3 times already? So yeah. I've nothing else to add.

NO ONE IS ARGUING AGAINST THIS.

Don't pull this "no one reads my posts" shit when you're arguing against something no one has ever said. THE ENTIRETY of the argument about the Black Arms "not fitting" has been them not fitting in the series, not about not fitting in ShtH.

If you keep getting into stupid and frustrating arguments, blame yourself for being dishonest.

• Thumbs Up 6

I did read it that's why I uploaded a pic myself. Black Doom's eye doesn't look much different from the wisps and if it has uninspiring design so do the wisps. Logical?

This logic makes no sense. You're trying to tell me that because the Doom's Eye looks like  Wisp, the Black Arms are instantly disqualified for being crap? wut?

You said that.

It's really noticeable when people hate something just because the game it appeared in sucks. I'm not saying you all hate the Black Arms design because of that but for a few people it seems to be one of the main reasons for hating.

Here's a question, why do you care? It's an opinion, yet you're treating it as if it's the end of the world simply because it doesn't coincide with yours.

• Thumbs Up 3

So by your logic anything from any game should fit together? Well, I'm sure wisps do not fit in with the adventure games just like the concept of storybooks. And I don't think the realistic design of the adventures fits well with the classic games. And those are all canon!

I'm afraid it doesn't work that way. Did it not occur to you to put two and two together when people have absolutely no problem with the Adventures, the Storybooks, or the Wisps yet dislike how the Black Arms came into the picture?

And do you not realize that the people who happen to like the realism presented in the Adventures and even Unleashed which goes a step beyond and into photo-realism actually dislike the realism presented in Sonic 06?

And nevermind that the Classics had some real world inspirations to them, what with Sandopolis and Marble Garden being Egyptian and Greco-Roman respectively.

So in other words that makes Black Arms even more fitting for the game.

In other words, they didn't fit with the series. Which is what I said at the very beginning of this argument. You're criticizing others for not reading your posts, and yet you're doing the same thing dude. How about you take your own advice here?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 6

The Black Arms fit in Shadow the Hedgehog (the game), but Shadow the Hedgehog (the game) does not fit in with the entirity of the Sonic Universe. This is what we are trying to say.

.......Also the Black Arms have bland uninspiring designs, which just makes the whole situation worse.

.......Then there is the fact that Shadow, Sonic and Co don't fit in Shadow the Hedghog (the game) themselves because they're using the bright ultra-glossy-plastic models straight from Heroes, in a game, which uses dull colours, muddy textures and grim lighting. That makes everything all the more horrible.

.......And on top of that, you have a largly moody, forgettable soundtrack to compliment the moody, forgettable visuals

.......Not to mention the horribly contrived story, which digs a hole in Shadow's past, only to fill it with bile. There was no need for the Black Arms to exist. Apart from a few questions about Shadow's psyche and motives behind GUN's actions, Shadow's backstory in SA2 was pretty solid.

.......In addition we have the "Choose your side" gameplay design, which is made immediately irrelevant by the existance of a Last Story, and exists just so we can play Westopolis and the rest of the game 10 times over to get to the end of this clusterfuck.

.......Then there are the controls, which aside from the Rail-switching, are the same as Heroes, but even slipperier and imprecise. Don't even get me started on the bullshit camera and level design

Yeah, this game was bad....bad right down to the core. How exactly could this ungodly mess be considered an underrated Gem?

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 5

In other words, they didn't fit with the series. Which is what I said at the very beginning of this argument.

The Black Arms fit in Shadow the Hedgehog (the game), but Shadow the Hedgehog (the game) does not fit in with the entirity of the Sonic Universe. This is what we are trying to say.

No objections here. Um.. Sorry, I guess I got you wrong and I was continuing this because of that misunderstanding. My apologies)).

there is the fact that Shadow, Sonic and Co don't fit in Shadow the Hedghog (the game) themselves because they're using the bright ultra-glossy-plastic models straight from Heroes

I guess that makes the Sonic characters look out of place in their own game))).

I guess that makes the Sonic characters look out of place in their own game))).

Yeah, that is quite a huge problem. If you created a game in a long-running franchise, in which the main cast doesn't fit....well you have a problem...

Yeah, that is quite a huge problem. If you created a game in a long-running franchise, in which the main cast doesn't fit....well you have a problem...

I agree. I never liked Heroes models to be honest..If they could change them for Shth and change the dialogs so they would be more serious instead of failing to be dark, the game would become a bit better.

• 3 months later...

The only thing I come back to ShTH for is "Expert Mode".  It was the only part of the game I found mildly enjoyable.  One mission (mostly get to the goal ring), I can attack/shoot anything I want which means I can take advantage of both chaos powers. no annoying side characters, and for an expert mode it's not even that damn difficult.

I liked Shadow's game, it took the series down a darker roll, but it wasn't too bad. 

I also liked Shadow's Chaos Powers, the Chaos Blast was amazing. Too bad they reduced it to crap in '06. 

Theme song was good, this is rare, but I prefer the original version of "All Hail Shadow" to the Crush 40 version, a very rare thing for me to do. 

I really didn't like the Sonic Characters swearing, it just didn't feel right to me. 

Uh, let's see here. I guess I didn't like the AIs too much, I think I'd remember being on the Dark Side for a mission, but the people on the dark side would still try and kill me -.-

But, the last level was good, Devil Doom. 

Really kinda BS how they throw in Eggman's Confession in about (what?) 15 minutes into the level? Pssh. 

I liked how David Humphrey still voiced Shadow in this game, really cool. I think he was probably my favorite Shadow voice. 

About all I can think of at the moment. 

Edited by OmegaXCL

I liked Shadow's game, it took the series down a darker roll, but it wasn't too bad. 

I also liked Shadow's Chaos Powers, the Chaos Blast was amazing. Too bad they reduced it to crap in '06. 

Theme song was good, this is rare, but I prefer the original version of "All Hail Shadow" to the Crush 40 version, a very rare thing for me to do. 

I really didn't like the Sonic Characters swearing, it just didn't feel right to me. 

Uh, let's see here. I guess I didn't like the AIs too much, I think I'd remember being on the Dark Side for a mission, but the people on the dark side would still try and kill me -.-

But, the last level was good, Devil Doom. 

Really kinda BS how they throw in Eggman's Confession in about (what?) 15 minutes into the level? Pssh. 

I liked how David Humphrey still voiced Shadow in this game, really cool. I think he was probably my favorite Shadow voice. 

About all I can think of at the moment. 

Ummmm...... Humphrey recorded lines for this game, but was redubbed later before the game released with the 4kids cast. since the original cast was replaced in 2005. I guess you think Griffith's shadow is similar to Humphrey's. Personally, I think they sound nothing alike.

I'm pretty sure I've said this before somewhere on this topic, but I'll say it again anyway: I liked the Shadow the Hedgehog, even though it had its flaws.

Well.

I have a lot of decent memories of Shadow the Hedgehog. I used to play it JUST as much as Adventure 1, Adventure 2 and Heroes.

The story was pretty stupid, I'm not even gonna argue about that. But I think the gameplay was decent, and like some others, I do consider it to be part of the main series, considering it latches onto SA2 and Heroes. The gameplay is very much the same as the previous games also. 

The first Sonic game that really did turn me off was Riders, then I left when I despised Secret Rings, but I won't go on about those considering this is the wrong topic for that.

Overall, the story was stupid, but I don't play a video game for the story. Shadow never really angered me and I never really disliked it; in my opinion, it's an alright game.

I didn't find it as a bad game really. They did bring back some elements of Sonic Adventure 2/Sonic Heroes into the game, but I don't call it as a bad game.

People can like the game, but in no way is the game an "underrated gem".

In fact, its probably overrated by those who like it.

• Thumbs Up 1

It may be less broken than Sonic 06, but Shadow in just about every other way was an even worse game. The story was a COMPLETE disaster, ruining whatever good background story Shadow had; only further emphasized terrible characterization, terribly unfitting dialogue, script, music, art direction, everything.

Yes, 06 shared all of those traits too, but ShTH's were even more extreme, and that says a lot. 

Kinda funny that no one remembers it compared to the insane amount of publicity 06 gets. I guess because it was a spinoff, and not having 'Sonic' in the title? The public eye seems to have preferred just safely and quietly forgetting ShTH even happened, sweeping it under the rug and denying it's existence.

And you know what? I think I'm alright with that.

Edited by Azookara

So many people have bad opinions of this game, but i think it gives you a different view point of Shadow The Hedgehog's story and past. The gameplay may not be perfect, but it certainly is enjoyable. 

Well, I suppose it does give you a very different view of Shadow's story and past. You know, like how in SA2 game Maria was hunched over a console and sent Shadow's pod to Earth...

deadonconsole.png

... and then in ShTH she was a lazy ass bitch who wouldn't get up off the floor.

deadonfloor.png

Pretty crazy that she crawled all the way from the hallway she got shot in, helped Shadow lock himself in a tube, then shot it off...all while being mortally wounded.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I suppose it does give you a very different view of Shadow's story and past. You know, like how in SA2 game Maria was hunched over a console and sent Shadow's pod to Earth...

deadonconsole.png

... and then in ShTH she was a lazy ass bitch who wouldn't get up off the floor.

deadonfloor.png

With some plot holes as you just pointed out. 

I'd say that the best thing I found in ShTH was the fact that the AI teammates would actually try to kill the enemies.(By AI, I mean Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Espio, etc...)

I don't think I'm ever going to touch this game, unless I end up finding the xbox version at a garage sale for a dirt cheap price. Somecallmejohnny already convinced me not to touch it. I mean, seriously? I have to beat Westopolis 10 fucking times to get the true ending? What's the point of telling me my choices matter when they give you a canon last story anyway? Also, why do you have to kill every single enemy in a wide open level in the hero and dark missions? I constantly consider playing 06 to see how terrible it truly is, but Shadow? Just not worth it.

I'd say that the best thing I found in ShTH was the fact that the AI teammates would actually try to kill the enemies.(By AI, I mean Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Espio, etc...)

This was possible in Heroes as well.

Ummmm...... Humphrey recorded lines for this game, but was redubbed later before the game released with the 4kids cast. since the original cast was replaced in 2005. I guess you think Griffith's shadow is similar to Humphrey's. Personally, I think they sound nothing alike.

Oh man, how embarrassing. My bad, Bro. Somehow, I think I actually meant to say that, as common as that would sound when making a mistake. I feel so dumb now, haha. 

Wasn't this the first game that Jason Griffith recorded? I think I may have got that confused.  

Shadow in just about every other way was an even worse game.

My friend, there is no such thing as a game worse than Sonic '06. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Funny how ShTH does an excellent job of going the wrong way while Sonic 06 does a horrible job at trying to go the right way...

...I wonder if that makes this a paradox?

Oh man, how embarrassing. My bad, Bro. Somehow, I think I actually meant to say that, as common as that would sound when making a mistake. I feel so dumb now, haha. 

Wasn't this the first game that Jason Griffith recorded? I think I may have got that confused.  

Yes, this was the first game with the 4kids actors, even though it was around the same time as sonic x. Don't feel dumb, man. Apparently, Sonic Team left generic gameplay quotes from Humphrey in, such as " Chaos Control!" Did you hear this line and think that? Also, some of the 4kids actors sort of sounded like they were channeling the original voice cast ( Griffith sounded like Drummond at times.) Would have been interesting to hear some unused clips from the original cast in this games, seeing as how they recorded lines for it.