Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

PSI Wind

The fight itself was great, but when I saw the face, I literally laughed at how ridiculous it looked. They could've made it so badass looking. But that face really did kill some of the experience for me. More like Mike Wazowski from Monsters Inc.

EDIT: Also did anyone notice how some of the music in this game sounds like Paper Mario music? Pretty cool.

Edited by lounge-mas
  • Thumbs Up 1

So I finished the game on hero mode and thought of something which might have been covered but I don't think I saw anything related to this. Does Skyward Sword cause another split timeline like OoT did?

endgame spoilers

Right after the final dungeon, Demise/The Imprisoned is killed. However then you go to the past and seal Demise into the Master Sword. So now that Demise is sealed in the Master Sword in the past, Skyloft doesn't have to be dropped on him in the future, because he isn't there anymore. There could also be a Ghirahim running around in the past wondering what to do since his Master is dead. So now there's a timeline where Link and Zelda return to the land below the clouds because of the event os Skyward Sword, and a timeline where they don't (or do for different reasons) because Zelda was never carried off by a tornado.

Actually, no, not really. Based on what I've seen and read:

All these events happen either way. Its a bid paradoxal in that Link defeats Demise in the past after defeating The Imprisoned in the present. Link seals Demise in the past, and in the present he breaks free until Link defeats him with the Master Sword. If Link DIDN'T go back in time, that would cause Demise to win. Instead, he just plays it out the normal way its supposed to, meaning that chronologically, Demise is defeated first by Link, and the Imprisoned is defeated last. It just so happens that the latter event leads Link to going back in time to defeat Demise like he was always intended to. Almost the opposite of Ocarina of Time, in a sense.

• Thumbs Up 2

Actually, no, not really. Based on what I've seen and read:

All these events happen either way. Its a bid paradoxal in that Link defeats Demise in the past after defeating The Imprisoned in the present. Link seals Demise in the past, and in the present he breaks free until Link defeats him with the Master Sword. If Link DIDN'T go back in time, that would cause Demise to win. Instead, he just plays it out the normal way its supposed to, meaning that chronologically, Demise is defeated first by Link, and the Imprisoned is defeated last. It just so happens that the latter event leads Link to going back in time to defeat Demise like he was always intended to. Almost the opposite of Ocarina of Time, in a sense.

I myself only just defeated Tentalus, but I've read through all the events of the ending, so it seems to be made pretty clear what happens.

Speaking of Tentalus, I agree. I don't even think the fight was good, though. It looks like a freak of nature and was extremely easy. Fi already told you how to defeat the tentacles on the way up. One look at the creature, and knowing the dungeon item you just received... yeah, its pretty obvious how to defeat it. I had a harder time against Scervo than I did against Tentalus. I actually had to exhaust one of my potions to defeat Scervo and then he took off almost half my bar again, but I barely lost any hearts to Tentalus.

Although, I gotta admit... the bow in this game is way better than in past titles. ^^

I don't get Groose's popularity, isn't he basically just Kuwabara without the character development?

Edited by Phos

Groose will be loved and remembered for the rest of the series by everyone.

I prefer Fi to Midna. Even though she states the obvious a lot. I do like that she calls you Master. It's nice to be respected like that.

Felt like Midna was the main character while I was the sidekick, which is also why I prefer Tatl as well.. Did anyone else find the 9000 rupee wallet useless? 5000 was more than enough for me.

Along with Tentalus, I don't like the designs of the 3 dragons. When I heard you had to meet up with the Water Dragon Faron, I was excited to see how cool it would look.

Have to say, I was hoping to see Volvagia in this game. I was expecting to see her in the Earth Temple especially after seeing dragon statues all over. I wonder if that myth took place before Skyward Sword. Probably during the very beginning of the world.

The 9000 rupee wallet was especially useless because chances are you aren't going to have it until around the end of the game when just about everything you need/want to buy is already paid for.

Also when I first saw Tentalus I swear it was going to notice I took the bow out of the ship and start singing "put that thing back where it came from or so help me!" XD

• Thumbs Up 1

The 9000 rupee wallet was uneeded, but speaking of rupees, I felt the money system was handled very well in this game. Unlike every other 3D game, I never felt I had too many or no need for rupees. There was always a new upgrade to pay for, a expansion for my wallet or adventure pouch, and so on.

And about the upgrade system, if it's included in future games, there should be more that follow the path of the slingshot and beetle, which get upgrades that are more noticeable in gameplay (ability to charge for spread shot, ability to speed up with A), rather than the others, which were "extend bar, hold more, hurt more".

Edited by Ekaje

Compared to the others, Tentalus was such a throw away boss. How can they make something as amazing as Koloktos (which was easily my favorite boss and one of the best in the series if you ask me) and then spit out a typical "aim-for-the-giant-eye-with-your-bow-and-arrow" boss. Did they run out of intuitive ways to make an archery boss after Phantom Ganon in OoT?

...Nintendo could have tried harder than that. -_-

• Thumbs Up 1

I thought Tentalus was a guy. That's a clearly masculine suffix, that and it's a play on the name "Tantalus", a Greek mythological character that was male.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

From what I've seen of Fi there are Chobits shaped tracks up one side of her and down the other. Everything about this game's setting and story that I've seen so far is just so derivative, like some kind of Las Vegas of Japanese pop culture, both the good and the bad. Thumb through the turgid dialog that could come from pretty much any anime, leap off the Skies of Arcadia reject of a floating continent, land on the bird (just like Avatar) that kind of looks like that one Pokemon and then dude that chick's the sword.

Tone: These two games are like ight and day. Twilight Princess has a very bleak and somewhat depressing tone, especially with how the world looks and the existience of the Twilight realm and the story behind it and the characters. The story behind Zant is kinda creepy especially with his design and the way he acts when you finaly face him.

With Skyward Sword, everything is bright and optimistic, the closest the game gets to being dark is the Ancient Cistern and the near end of the game. Most of the characters you encounter are goofy and often have personal quirks (Scrapper, the Mogmas) that paint a very pleasent, warm picture for the world of SS.

As for which I prefer, id say it's Skyward Sword. Which is kinda weird since Majora's Mask is my favorite game of al time, and that's a very depressing game. The thing is, Majora's Mask had a lot of deeper meanings to why its depressing and it all comes together nicely. With Twilight Princess, I feel that it's just being dark for the sake of it, and it's not really consistent either some parts are just normal and don't know what tone they want to be. With Skyward Sword, it's almost always consistent, and that's what I like about it, even the main villian (not Demise) has a quirky nature to him that makes him just as fun as the other characters.

Characters: Im only going over the main characters here. Twilight Princess has Link, Midna, Zant, and Gannondorf. Skyward Sword has Link, Fi, Zelda, Groose, Impa, and Ghirahim. With the characters of TP, it all felt very isolated, as it was mostly just Link and Midna doing their own thing, Midna gets some nice development along the way, Link stays static throughout smiling every now and then, and Zelda....what the hell was she even in this game for? I never seen Zelda have such a barebones role in an NES game since the NES days, she has almost no personality to speak of, she barely has any character other than the "holier than thou" apperence. I thought Ganon was a nice contrast that his alternate timeline self from Wind Waker. He has much more raw ambition and lust for power tha his subduded, envious WW incarnation, goes well with the split timeline thing. As a member of the "hijacked by Ganon" club, Zant was a pretty decet fake villian, especially when he goes completely bonkers at the end. And finally there is Midna, the star of this game. She starts off as a snarky bitch who could give less of a shit about you, but then her character develops into a person who cares about the protection of both worlds, in terms of helper characters, shes probably the lest offensive right above the King of Red Lions.

Now on to Skyward Sword, Groose is the main character, and the best character to ever grace a Zelda game. I love the way his character develops from a sterotypical jock bully into a hardend badass who can take on the evilest of beings without fear or shame. Hell even when the situation looks bleak you can always count on the guy to lend a hand, awesome character. Oh yeah, there is also Link, the guy destined to save Hyrule Grooseland from ceartin evil, he's a lot more expressive this time around, very much like his Wind Waker counterpart, I like him here, his reaction to when Groose sky rapes him is utter gold. Fi is the helper characters here, a literal robot with no personality and is THE most annoying helper character ever, thanks to her ungodly slow text boxes. We also have Zelda, who is actually a main character in this game! And also has a personality! She has a bond with Link that stayes consistent throughout the game, it's very sweet and makes her very likable in my eyes. Ghirahim is the most flamboyant villian you'll ever see in a Zelda game, and hes one of the most insistent, hes a lot more lively and and energetic than past villians, and he also has a constant role through the story and doesnt only appear 3 or three times to remind us that the game has villian. Impa is BADASS, even if shes kind cold to Link at first, she can hold her own against Ghirahim for gods sake! That earns my respect.

Well I think it's obvious which characters I like more here, Skyward Sword wins for having a laundry list of awesome or lovable characters. Hell, theres some more I left out from Skyloft like Pipit, Karane, and Beatrux. Twilight Princess doesnt really have the same appeal with the characters save for Midna and Zant, most of them are bland or don't really have that much emphasis on the plot. There are characters I like however, like that creepy bug girl, Telma, and that gang of...people (I forgot) that help you into the later temples.

Ill probably expand on this later, but this is all ill post for now.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...

I hated Skyward Sword, that's my opinion.

Anyways, here

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-08-miyamoto-zelda-wii-u-still-in-research-phase

“We’re seeing how the way that tastes are broadening in video games and you have some people who prefer more casual experiences, and you have some people who prefer sort of those more in-depth experiences. Obviously, as a company that’s been making games for a very long time, we tend to be more on the deeper, longer game side of things.

“But really what we continue to ask ourselves as we have over the years is, ‘What is the most important element of Zelda if we were to try to make a Zelda game that a lot of people can play?’”

Miyamoto might leave out Motion Controls in next Zelda game

“With the last game, Skyward Sword, that was a game where you had motion control to use your weapons and a lot of different items, and I thought that was a lot of fun, but there were some people who weren’t able to do that or didn’t like it as much and stopped playing partway through it. So we’re in the phase where we’re looking back at what’s worked very well and what has been missing and how can we evolve it further.”
  • Thumbs Up 1

While I believe the word "hate" is a bit strong, I find myself being unable to really get into this game. I dunno why, because the controls work fine with me and I'm interested in the story. :/

Oh well. I imagine that the multiple control schemes of the Wii U will counteract any problems with controls that people may find with the next Zelda.

• Thumbs Up 1

While I believe the word "hate" is a bit strong, I find myself being unable to really get into this game. I dunno why, because the controls work fine with me and I'm interested in the story. :/

Oh well. I imagine that the multiple control schemes of the Wii U will counteract any problems with controls that people may find with the next Zelda.

I haven't been able to finish it, I don't think is a bad game but like you I don't know why I get into it. Maybe I was expecting more?

Jesus, talk about a bunch of negative nancies.

It's not so much that is so much negativity but maybe something that kind of turned off some people from playing this game all the way. I mean even Miyamoto knows that people stopped playing partway, though saying that I don't think it was the motion controls that did that.

By the way I think starting today I'll finish the game since I need only need a little bit to finish it (I'm in the part where Girahim kidnaps Zelda), I don't want to disappoint the gods by leaving a Zelda game unfinished ohmy.png

I don't know how people stopped playing. I couldn't put it down. Best zelda since Wind Waker for me. Motion controls were perfect, beautiful story, addicting gameplay, actual difficulty. I don't want to go back to the regular control scheme :(

• Thumbs Up 4

Don't get me wrong, it's a technically fantastic game and I wish all video games could be anywhere near the length of this game. But for some reason, I'm just really bored with the game and I'm really having to push myself to play through it. I don't know what it is, because TLOZ is one of my favorite video game series to play.

Got Skyward Sword at Christmas, reached the Earth Temple then for some reason I just put the game down... for some reason it just didn't captivate me.

Recently though I got a new surge of inspiration to play it again. I'm already past the Earth Temple and I started again. It's strangely addicting now, and I don't know why. Either way, I'm currently engrossed in it and I can't wait to play more.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well here we are again it's always such a pleasure. I honestly think that the only stupid decision in this game was adding motion controls to completely unnecessary areas such as tightropes and swimming. Other than that I have absolutely no complaints. I actually think that the motion based swordfighting made the battles all the more fun and I liked the way the entire overworld was a big dungeon rather than a huge empty field. Even though Majora's Mask easily beats this game in terms of side quests and atmosphere, I still maintain that this is my favorite Zelda game ever.