Awoo.

Metroid: Other M

SuperStingray

It's quite possible what he said was misinterpreted/mistranslated, when he said "on-rails" he could well have meant "2.5D", because that kinda is on-rails in a way.

It's quite possible what he said was misinterpreted/mistranslated, when he said "on-rails" he could well have meant "2.5D", because that kinda is on-rails in a way.

How exactly would "2.5D" be similar to being "on-rails".

2.5D is essentially 2D with 3D models, so it's not something you can claim to be on-rails in anyway lest you deem every other 2D game in the past to be on-rails as well.

Regardless of how you look at it, Metroid is not anything that was made to be an on-rails game. It's always been about exploration, and if you take that away and limit where the player can traverse in the game, you're likely to have a pretty poor Metroid game.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Wow and here I thought the users of this forum couldn't get anymore reactionary.  Appearently, my computer is being stupid and not displaying the contents of the full editor; so, either way here's a better description of Sakamoto's Keynote: http://wii.ign.com/articles/107/1076861p1.html

Did you read what it said? Let me spell it out for you: (I can't even get bold to work, stupid laptop.)

side-scroller

I swear, it's like no one remembers this is the man behind SUPER METROID! Seriously, no one had any complaints at the hands-on a while back, as far as I know, except for the VAs. But who plays a video game for voice acting and not, oh I don't know... gameplay. I guess cutting my teeth, quite litterally, on the C64 taught my to enjoy the games for the fun and not the specticle. Ugh.

Edit:

Team Ninja stepped in to work on the project and was selected because the team played off the Nintendo-based team extremely well, bouncing ideas back and forth throughout the development. Sakamoto used a specific instance as an example: he insisted that the game would be an on-rails side-scrolling adventure that used the Wii remote exclusively like an NES/Famicom controller. But Team Ninja really wanted to make it a nunchuk-analog controlling game for 3D foreground/background exploration. Sakamoto stood firm on the Wii remote exclusivity. When the Team Ninja came up with an idea that could incorporate Sakamoto's Wii remote focus into a non-on-rails design, he was skeptical -- but when he finally saw what they came up with, he thought the solution was perfect. They called it "Famicom Game Plus."

He also made the first Metroid, Fusion and Zero Mission, you slag. Metroid 2 was the only installment produced by Gunpei.

Edited by Spirit of Vengeance
  • Thumbs Up 1

I swear, it's like no one remembers this is the man behind SUPER METROID!

This always entertained me with the Brawl development too. Sakurai had the exact same involvement with Melee... lol.

Watched the trailer though staying away from the full intro for spoilers. The voice acting is okay, I wasn't expecting anything amazing. As long as the general cut-scenes are good and not just her spending ages moping in front of a big window I'll be happy. Lol.

I swear, it's like no one remembers this is the man behind SUPER METROID!

And Fusion, which imo > Super. I was like one of the only people who remembered how great he "was".

However when I heard "on-rails", I immediately lost faith in him. Just because he was awesome back then, who's to say he will be now? Remember all the Sonic 4 rage at that guy from Sonic Team who worked on S3&K? Noone wants him to work on Sonic 4 because people think he's lost it. It's not like people who are great at making games will continue to be great at it forever. People can mutilate their own franchises (Sonic Team), and people can lose sight of what gaming is (Miyamoto on Wii Music, the "hardcore game that sold badly for reasons they couldn't understand")

• Thumbs Up 1

And Fusion, which imo > Super. I was like one of the only people who remembered how great he "was".

However when I heard "on-rails", I immediately lost faith in him. Just because he was awesome back then, who's to say he will be now? Remember all the Sonic 4 rage at that guy from Sonic Team who worked on S3&K? Noone wants him to work on Sonic 4 because people think he's lost it. It's not like people who are great at making games will continue to be great at it forever. People can mutilate their own franchises (Sonic Team), and people can lose sight of what gaming is (Miyamoto on Wii Music, the "hardcore game that sold badly for reasons they couldn't understand")

The only problem with Iizuka is that he became a game designer when all he's good for is level design, barrels not withstanding. And Wii Music was a casual game, if you can even call it a game period. Miyamoto still works on other actual games.

I don't see the problem with an on-rails installment anyway. Metroid was never meant for pinball and look how fun that turned out.

Unless a series was born on-rails it should never be on-rails. That's how I feel.

Fucking EA and Capcom. Bastards. >:\

Edited by speedfreak
  • Thumbs Up 1

Unless a series was born on-rails it should never be on-rails. That's how I feel.

Fucking EA and Capcom. Bastards. >:\

Don't be dissin' Dead Space Extraction.

I don't see the problem with an on-rails installment anyway. Metroid was never meant for pinball and look how fun that turned out.

The thing is, Pinball just screams party game. It's not like a huge entry in the Metroid series is going have some weird pinball based plot is it? Just like it shouldn't be like a huge entry in the Metroid series is something that pretty much goes against what Metroid has always been about (exploration and puzzling landscapes above all else)

Well, that's why it was Metroid PRIME Pinball, just a re-telling of the first game. Speaking of DS, where the hell is the DS 2D Metroid?

On a side note, Other M looks nice, but that guy is crazy to want on-rails. I know Fusion was linear, but it wasn't on rails.

Edited by Semi-colon e

Speaking of DS, where the hell is the DS 2D Metroid?

I've been thinking that for ages; I love the 2D Metroids. I'm not as keen on the 3D versions because I'm not a fan of playing FPS styled games, though I do understand how good they must be to those that do enjoy such games.

• 2 weeks later...

It's different. Very different. I like it, though. Switching to first person still seems a bit odd, but it looks like it can work. And those environments are beautiful. This is looking good.

It's different. Very different. I like it, though. Switching to first person still seems a bit odd, but it looks like it can work. And those environments are beautiful. This is looking good.

That... that was beautiful.

At the end there, is that Samus' voice? She sounds like I would expect, not the high pitched Japanese voice like from the first trailer.

Eh. Gameplay looks OK, but I've been sticking up for the graphics for a while now and...

The lava, and the trees, they all look horrible and pixellated. Maybe this will look worse than Prime.

1:15

Urgh.

Don't get me wrong, it looks "nice", but this wouldn't be a problem if Prime hadn't done so much better like seven years ago :S

Edited by SuperLink

Eh. Gameplay looks OK, but I've been sticking up for the graphics for a while now and...

The lava, and the trees, they all look horrible and pixellated. Maybe this will look worse than Prime.

1:15

Urgh.

Don't get me wrong, it looks "nice", but this wouldn't be a problem if Prime hadn't done so much better like seven years ago :S

That is video quality you know. Everything looks pixelated because the video is low quality and has to pixelate everything.

... How... How did you think it would actually look like that? This is Team Ninja and Nintendo. Nintendo has made the best looking games on the Wii, and Team Ninja's games look pretty damn nice also.

That is video quality you know. Everything looks pixelated because the video is low quality and has to pixelate everything.

No it's not? None of the other textures in the video are that badly pixellated, and the CGI looked hardly pixellated at all in comparison

The leaves on the trees will probably not look much better in the final game. The video quality was pretty good even.

EDIT: Aaaah screw it. Maybe I'm just used to playing PS360 games. Still, I swear Prime didn't even look that bad in gameplay footage.

I'd like for someone to prove me wrong.

Edited by SuperLink

Holy fucking shit I came. Also there's an ice level. It looks stunning, but is it up to the epic standard of Phendrana Drifts?

I need a wii ;_;

No it's not? None of the other textures in the video are that badly pixellated, and the CGI looked hardly pixellated at all in comparison

The leaves on the trees will probably not look much better in the final game. The video quality was pretty good even.

EDIT: Aaaah screw it. Maybe I'm just used to playing PS360 games. Still, I swear Prime didn't even look that bad in gameplay footage.

I'd like for someone to prove me wrong.

The video quality is the problem. Anything small, or with much detail, will be blurred or pixelated. Even so, Prime's tree leaves and grass were straight up sprites that looked horrible up close. Hell, fucking Xbox games still have some parts that look pixelated. But the main problem is the quality of video. We can't really tell until we get a good hi-def video.

Edited by Nathan Speed

We can't really tell until we get a good hi-def video.

I hope you're right.

With Prime, you never really saw things up close though, they looked great from a distance. However in this it looks like you'll be looking at everything up close because of the FP mode.

Which I still hate the sound of ;-;

Also, the vid was on youtube. I made a video with camstudio and it looks much better on my computer, and my computer isn't even hi-def!

I hope you're right.

With Prime, you never really saw things up close though, they looked great from a distance. However in this it looks like you'll be looking at everything up close because of the FP mode.

Which I still hate the sound of ;-;

You thinking about Prime 1-2? Because half the time I was right up next to a wall, or jumping around small rooms. You saw everything up close. Half the time, however, the bad textures (not a lot, but there were some) were unseen due to movement and the way the camera worked. It's easier to notice in Trilogy, the camera works better.

But this is up to Corruption quality graphics, at the least it'll be better than Prime 2. Nintendo does not make many bad games, and they're great with Wii graphics. If anything Team Ninja would need some work, but even they make good-looking games. This'll be fine.

2j3nplv.gif

Looks fucking class, and my only hope for this now is that it has lots more of the twisty, pully, pushy stuff from Corruption that I fucking loved.

I want this more than Galaxy 2.

• Thumbs Up 1

This... looks amazing, the gameplay seems to work well and switching to FPS looks like it'll be a great addition, and it's graphics look nice.

But I am still worried about that auto aiming will make the game too easy, and I'm still wondering how the physical attacks work, probably pressing a button when an enemy is close/weak/stunned.

Edited by Ekaje