Awoo.

What game are you currently playing?

HelenBaby

BoxBoy + BoxGirl! (Switch) - The unexpected fourth title in the series, and the first for the Switch!  The 3DS trilogy dragged a little in the middle, but was great overall, and this new title carries over the best elements.  As ever, on its most basic level, it's a minimalist-aesthetic block-pushing puzzle platformer, but the presentation, side-material, and number of gimmicks manages to keep the game fresh even over a pretty large number of levels; and for long-time players there's the extra challenge of S-ranking, playing each level in as short a time and with as few boxes as possible.  And then there's the story - but we'll come to that.

There are a few changes overall, the biggest being that the game this time is split into three campaigns - a classic single-player A Tale For One, a two-player co-op that can comfortably be played single-player in A Tale For Two, and at last the ability to play as the bizarrely-shaped third character in the trio in the postgame A Tall Tale.  ATF1 openly declares itself the main story, and as such is the longest campaign and the one with the most gimmicks.  It's also the mode which I felt was strangely unnecessary.  If the series has one flaw, it's that the games can recycle too many gimmicks, and so the campaign at times can feel like a bit of a level pack, slowly reintroducing all the old themes yet again.  But there are some new tricks this time, too; a few new gimmicks, some more exploitable than others, and even fresh abilities - which I don't feel are classics, but which I think were worth experimenting with, though I won't cry if they're gone by next time.  Notably, not all gimmicks or abilities appear in the other, shorter campaigns, perhaps because the developers thought they'd reached their limits with them in single-player; but this is a bit of a shame, as I think it's the different gameplay offered in ATF2 and ATT that really make this game stand out.

There are a few overall changes, such as completion now ranking you according to how many crowns you collected and a target number of boxes, rather than boxes and crowns being interlinked; each rewards you with a separate currency allowing you to buy in-game items.  These items now include cheap assist items, which can do things like increase your speed and box limit - cheats, essentially, ones which I won't use but some less able players may need, so that's fine; also the customary music and comics, and the expected bonus challenges, here tasking you with using your abilities to pop balloons within a time limit.  Costumes are now split into head, eye, mouth, and body parts, and doled out by a pachinko machine; there's an enormous amount of stock, but not being able to choose your rewards may rankle.  Currency carries across between campaigns, costume currency stacking up exactly to how many costume pieces there are, the other currency coming in at well in excess of what there is to spend it on.  S-ranking is now based on a single overall score for each level derived from completion time, boxes used, and crowns; this can be rather an annoying change, as it's not always clear whether you need to improve your time or your number of boxes used, but it does help to make clear that you do need to do everything to earn that precious S-rank - and there are ample opportunities to be every bit as devious as you could in previous titles (yes, there are still levels you can complete with zero boxes used!).

One thing that hasn't changed is the surprisingly involved story and intricate lore associated with the series.  It's not something you'd expect from a minimalist-aesthetic Nintendo puzzle platformer - but it is by the Kirby developers, after all; and there are sufficient developments in this title that it's actually necessary to formulate theories to understand how the game fits into the series overall!  This is a real reward for long-time players - and doubtless a big surprise to anyone new to the series.  In fact, if you finish all three campaigns and play close attention to all the clues scattered throughout the game, you may even reach awareness of a rather exciting secret...

So there we have it: BoxBoy + BoxGirl!, the minimalist-aesthetic puzzle platformer whose generic surface elements belie a genuinely fulfilling experience on all fronts.  I had my doubts once, but now I'm fairly sure we'll see more titles in the series in future; and this installment gives me every cause to hope for the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Timespinner (Switch) - The first thing anyone ever says about this game is that it's a good rip-off of Order Of Ecclesia, and who am I to defy convention?  Mechanically, that is true; you could tell me that Timespinner was literally built on the same engine and I wouldn't bat an eyelid.  But the broad brushes are a lot different.  Whereas Ecclesia's story focussed on only a handful of characters and its plot beats were drawn with a very broad brush, Timespinner spins a fantasy/sci-fi tale about revenge, war, and the fate of worlds; it's a bit front-loaded on lore but with everything sliding together towards the end, and builds much stronger relationships between its well-developed protagonist and its various main and secondary characters.  The visual design lines up with the story in being rather on the gritty side, tending to go for dark, muddy palettes and with a liking for brown caves and functional corridors; it suffers from a real lack of life and vibrancy here, and takes until more or less the end of the game to really pick up.  The map design is at its best in tight, wriggly little towers and corridors, but an awful lot of it is long, flat expanses, resulting in a fast-travel map that only just fits on your screen, and scrolling in map screens that could have been avoided with a little more verticality; it's also a little disappointing that the game's time-travel mechanic has been interpreted as resulting in two very samey maps, often easy to confuse.  The music definitely has a Castlevania vibe and is good, but fails to reach OoE's heights.  So there are highs and lows.

Deriving mechanically from OoE means the game plays very nicely - but it has a few flaws, some of them inherited directly from OoE itself.  The familiar system, for instance, which gives you a variety of monster pets to help in battle, is essentially redundant; they start off weak and stay that way, and their slow as molasses attack style means they're unlikely to pick up much experience.  The game's RPG level-up system feels redundant, too; you can find upgrades to your health, magic, and time stats out in the world, and equipment to boost the rest of your stats, so it's not clear whether a level-up system is really necessary.  Compounding this is that your weapons also have a level-up system, so even your damage is partly dependent on two different level-ups.  Weapons having a level-up system feels particularly unhelpful; the game gives you a fair number of them, but the fact that they need levelling to be useful discourages focussing on any but a select few - though the game does give you a three-slot quick-select, and it genuinely is very helpful to be able to switch between attack styles on the fly (another inheritance from Ecclesia, of course).  Technically you can mix up to two weapons per slot, and each weapon comes with a magic spell and supplementary ring that can be swapped; but they tend to work best in their original sets.  Probably the saddest real flop is the game's signature time stop mechanic, which is enormously easy to simply forget about, required largely for a few mandatory jumps on falling objects.  I think the intention was for it to be an option in battle rather than mandatory, but combined with the fact that attacking isn't possible in time stop and it's purely a mobility power, it's definitely underused; and it recharging through attacking enemies is something which might have been better replaced with a cooldown, too.

There are other points I could discuss, but what they boil down to is that Timespinner is solidly okay.  Its themes come together and there's only really the one heavy-handed exchange, its story feels like it's told in the right amount of time, the gameplay is functional and fun, and it's generally nice to look at and listen to.  Could it have been better, yes; but it's also a Kickstarter game, and so I'm aware it has some limits that mainstream releases might not - including those of the creator's vision.  They made it their way, and I respect that; and I enjoyed playing the result.  Frankly, I hope they make another, because I feel that with lessons learned they could craft

Coming up next: Despite both my New 3DS's microSD card slot needing a replacement, and my microSD card itself being corrupted, I have somehow arrived in a reality where I managed to preserve my Etrian Odyssey Nexus (3DS) save; the good news is that I can keep on playing it, but the bad news is that I have to keep on playing it.  Fortunately, for a very long game it's also very chunkable, and I'm planning on slotting it in at a stratum between everything else I play.  I've been putting off SteamWorld Quest (Switch), and it has to be said that I haven't heard as much buzz for it as with Dig and Heist, but I definitely want to see what Image & Form have come up with; Gato Roboto (Switch) is another shorter Metroidvania that I've heard enough about to grap; and lurking in the distance is a second Etrian Odyssey crossover title, Persona Q2 (3DS), though from what I've heard it's shorter than the average EO rather than (much) longer.  That'll see me for the foreseeable future; and then maybe I'll get my hands on that other big-name Metroidvania that came out recently...

Dreams on PS4. The game’s still in early access, but I’m really enjoying it so far. A lot of the content creators can make some really creative games and homages to other franchises. It’s a bit mechanically complex for me to make really anything of substance on it, but it’s still really cool. I’m really hoping the community ends up growing soon, especially since it’s such an improvement over LBP3 (which MM had barely anything to do with, but I digress.) 

Civilization 6 on the Switch. 

This game is addictive enough that I thought I might lose my job and become single all at once. And it’s really just a glorified board game. I’m now good enough to beat the AI regularly on Deity (hardest) mode with decent civs, so now I’m trying to beat the AI on Deity with the garbage civs like Spain. Trying not to abuse save states. I can’t wait until they release the expansions for Switch.

I also plan on picking up Celeste and Hollow Knight next time these are on sale. Also trying to pick up Overload on PS4, ever since I found out about it. It’s a clone of Descent, the spaceship shooter from the 90s, from the creators of the same series. I heard it’s pretty shallow after the gameplay starts to repeat itself for ten levels, but that’s fine. I’ve always been strangely drawn to games like Descent.

Playing Evoland: Legendary Edition, which contains both games in the franchise. The first one was so short, but charming and fun. Gonna be starting up the second soon, which apparently takes everything good about the original and jacks it up like crazy.

I'm going to wait several weeks before picking up Super Mario Maker 2. Once a decent chunk of amazing user-created levels have dropped, I have a feeling I won't be putting that game down for a long, long time.

Between go-rounds of that, I plan on trying out Dragon Ball FighterZ, Splatoon 2, and Monster Hunter Stories to finally, finally clean out my backlog I've had for the past 2 years.

Got a PSVR to prepare for NMS Beyond in a month or so.  Now I'm a bit swamped with Moss (which I'd just finished when they expanded it), Astro Bot, Skyrim VR and Fallout 4 (not VR) which I'd only just finally gotten a chance to start.  Since I'm having to do Skyrim in small segments to keep my stomach happy, it's not as bad as it could be.  (I did not know you could get VR-sick after the fact - as in several hours after playing.  It was NOT fun.)

• 2 weeks later...

SteamWorld Quest (Switch) - I have not previously played any card-based RPGs; but I trust the Image & Form crew, and here we are.  SteamWorld Quest plays very well; the mechanics are easy to pick up but with boundless depth, you get a steady stream of new cards from treasure chests and crafting and even character development - in some respects, there's actually too much content; I never came close to acquiring many of the craftable cards, which is perhaps a way of encouraging players to focus on developing a strategy rather than taking a scattergun approach.  However, this is one of the game's drawbacks: There isn't enough game for the cards.  The number of cards, strategies, possibilities far outlast the actual length of the game; indeed, even the addition of extra characters to swap into your three-man party feels difficult to appreciate, because the mechanical potential for experimentation doesn't really line up with how the game plays out in practice.  With only three party members usable at a time, any character without a clear niche doesn't have a place; and the challenge level means that you will simply never swap out your healer, for example, while the decision to award only diminished experience to unused party members means that they'll quickly be left behind.  The game feels like it would have benefited from full heals after every battle and full XP to all characters to encourage alternative set-ups and strategies; in addition to just plain needing to be longer - but at the end of the day, this is an indie game, so one can't expect miracles.  The story, for this is after all an RPG, is fairly standard RPG fare, but quite fun; the characters have just enough of a second dimension to work, and are charming enough to want to spend time with.  But it's also a very weird narrative which is barely SteamWorldy at all; it's framed as a fairy-tale, and the characters behave and speak throughout as if they were human - to the extent that the writing would honestly feel more natural if they were.  Of all the SteamWorld projects so far, then, this is the one which feels the most uneven; there's enormous potential, and it is fun, but it felt like it needed not so much more time in the oven as a slightly different recipe entirely.

Gato Roboto (Switch) - An entertaining and enjoyable mini-Metroidvania, with a Blaster Master twist where your underpowered cat protagonist can leave its chunky mech suit entirely.  If we're being perfectly honest, it's actually not terribly Metroidy; while the map is windy and intersecting, the main course is actually very linear with areas being unlocked in a clear order, exploration and backtracking being largely reserved for tracking down bonus upgrades.  Additionally, not only are there other vehicles beside the mech suit, there are extended periods where you play as the cat alone.  So this game is more of an atmospheric Metroidvania, with its labyrinthine tunnels and ever-present sense of danger; but that's no bad thing.  I had my doubts about the game's entirely monochrome graphics at first, wondering if enemies would fail to stand out, or the environment grow cluttered; but everything is actually signalled quite well, and the monochrome look allows for a considerable number of unlockable bonus palette swaps to be found and engaged with; I neglected these, but in retrospect I wish I'd put each of them on having found them, just to see what they really play like.  My one real objection is that the game has a fairly unnecessary point of no return just before the last leg; and completing the game locks you into a state where you simply can't revisit the map at all.  Possibly this is to encourage replayability?  It is a short game, ultimately; I completed it 100% in almost exactly three and a half hours, which apparently is about standard.  Short, but sweet; I could have played the game for hours longer, and can only hope that a sequel will one day be on the cards.

Coming up next: With nine labyrinths under my belt and over seventy hours of playtime, I can comfortably say that I'm past the halfway point of Etrian Odyssey Nexus (3DS); my strategy of clearing a labyrinth between every other game I play is paying off.  But with Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (Switch) regrettably proving technically incompetent at present, I've no choice but to wait for it to be updated to a passable state... which means that, with the next game on my list, I'm now playing two Etrian Odyssey games at once: Persona Q2 (3DS).

I haven’t slept in 3 days ever since I started playing BOTW (switch). I’m also TRYING (get the emphasis on TRYING) to play sonic 06 (xbox360) but the glitches keep eating up my lives like 11 year old me on Halloween candy. I’m almost finished with Super Paper Mario (wii), though! (Literally one of my fav games). And I’ve really been meaning to finish Sonic Adventure 2 (pc) but it’s sooooo laggy nnnnn 

Just got Super Mario Maker 2 yesterday, and I have to say I’m super addicted to it. They had fixed so many of the issues I had with the original game and managed to add in a bunch of new features on top of that. My only gripe is that the online is laggy as hell, fix that Nintendo. Otherwise, this along with Dreams could end up being my GOTYs for the year.

Not really interested in Mario Maker 2, as creativity with level design isn't my thing. I'm playing Cadence of Hyrule, and I agree that the music gimmick can get really annoying, and it's just a plus, a not really fun plus, it feels more forced, not sure how to explain how it feels. But the game is fun, I keep dying but that's more on me I guess. Eventually I got back into playing CTRNF's Adventure mode and Grand Prix quests.

Recently finished up a Cuphead co op run and am now doing it all again in single player. It might be one of the finest games I've ever played. 

I really love it when games feel laser focused. Cuphead has a simple set of rules that it just stretches and stretches through a fucking endless wave of creative bosses. Bosses in general became kinda scarce in games, let alone good ones, so cuphead's pretty flawless portrayal of them hit the spot. They have so much personality and expression while also telegraphing their attacks in a way that's easy to read. It's still chaotic as fuck but through dying amd trying again you'll get a feel for the patterns. They're the perfect length too, so the game's lack of checkpoints never feel like a bother. It feels good to inch closer and closer through their varied phases with each attempt. Every time you hit that KNOCKOUT screen it'll feel like a triumph. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I've been playing a lot of games lately to clean up the backlog. Mostly games I've been meaning to play/complete.

Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness

So I've been meaning to revisit this game for the longest time since its one of the few Pokemon games I haven't completed yet, mostly because I rented it once when I was way younger. I'll get the good out of the way first. I really like the Pokemon selection this time around; It has a lot of my favorites like Sharpedo and Houndoom, especially early on. However there's too many Pokemon I really ended up liking that I constantly changed my team around. I will say Breloom is the best Pokemon for catching things since it comes with False Swipe and Stun Spore when its purified and it can learn Spore which is better but that's late game and you'll be stuck with Shroomish until then. I wouldn't really use Breloom otherwise but its been a staple because of its utility. I did end up grinding for a Tyranitar and welp it was worth it since it has Dragon Dance on it and it hits like a truck either way. I'm nearly done with the game but it feels kind of short. I will say they made the purification process a lot easier and better since you don't have to manage your team constantly to make sure it gets purified. My biggest gripe however is the story or the lack of one. It kind of plays second fiddle to everything else but its not as involved as you'd think. Case in point, the major antagonist actually appears in a very early scene before completely disappearing entirely until it was time for him to say "oh right it was me all along!" It just goes all over the place unfortunately. Some characters I actually didn't like, for example Jovi and Chobin, the former constantly taking credit for things you did early on and the latter for not getting a hint that you're not a burgler and the same person that keeps visiting the lab. I guess I'm really in more for the gameplay than the story at this point, mostly because I can see where its going. Its an alright game, not the best Pokemon spin off but it does decently well at least.

Atelier Meruru

This is a game that I bought on a whim so many years ago because I wanted to experience more of the Atelier series. I picked up Meruru mostly because of the cute title character. What makes the Atelier series different from other JRPGs is that you're not a badass with a giant sword trying to save the world but a naive, every day girl who does requests and tasks for the people within a certain period of time. In a way you're playing as the shopkeeper NPCs for other JRPGs. Meruru does have a goal in mind and that's for Princess Meruru to make her kingdom expand within 3 years time by using alchemy. I really like this setup because it gives you a goal to meet overtime. I have been getting into it again since I decided to sit down and play the game seriously. I think I do waste a ton of time making more items and gathering items than doing requests, since I tend to do things backwards due to my lack of foresight. I did noticed that I did fall into cutscene hell a lot making me wonder if its worse than Pokemon Sun and Moon in that regard. I know its a JRPG which means its more story driven but I feel like I'm stopped every time I need to do something for story, especially when it was something important. Overall though its a fun, colorful adventure.

Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes

I got this for the No More Heroes 3 hype and for the fact it was on sale for 20 bucks and it was 20 bucks well spent. I just started this game up and well I've been having a blast. It did change most of the series combat to be more simple but I'm fine with the change since I dig the simple combat they have going on here. I was actually a little worried that the top down camera wasn't going to sit well with me but it ended up working for me. I do like the meta humor they have going on; It gets to the point where Travis knows that he's in a video game and it pisses off Bad Man, mostly because he's not being taken seriously. I did noticed they put in a lot of indie games as t shirts you can get in game, so yes I have Travis running around with a big pigeon in a heart thanks to the Hatoful Boyfriend representation. I did just start this game though, only beating the first in-game game so there's more for me to see but I'm glad NMH is still going strong.

Finally playing Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Decent game. Can't wait til I get to Sky, I heard a bunch of good things about it.

Just finished Evoland 2 for Switch. I'm not a huge fan of RPGs, but this game was fantastic. In part it was a parody of video games in general, with references to virtually every genre of game. It also was a fun game in its own right.

Next on my list is Metaloid Origins. It just came out for Switch. It's basically Mega Man X with cat girls.

Planning on getting back to Batman The Enemy Within after so many weeks of stagnating due to Telltale Community periodically blipping in and out after I played episode 2. In the meantime, I've been playing Team Sonic Racing in an attempt to perfect the missions, played a few things of Injustice 2's weird Satellite mode.

Also bought what should be the entire Borderlands series thanks to a series of discounts & conveniences. Don't know when I'm getting to any of that, given they are even more additions to the backlog, which includes much older things like SEGA Allstars Racing(played a few races before stopping) and Dragon Age Origins(which I never even put in the system) from over a year or two ago btw.

I'm playing through Crash 1 and dying a lot and after I get off I cry myself to sleep because I constantly miss boxes

I recently got Until Dawn and did a playthrough of that the other day. While I had fun, I absolutely hated the Don't Move parts because it would drift off even when I knew it wasn't moving (even when I had the controller set down).

I also finished my 6th playthrough of Persona 5 and have yet to even get half way through Persona Q2, because it kinda bored me.

Off to the side, I play Slime Rancher to relax, Team Sonic Racing with my friend when it doesn't kick us out (seriously, I had looked forward to the online in that game and it's still really bad), somewhat 'blind' playthrough of Resident Evil 5 with said friend as I've never completed the PS4 version and various odd 'challenge' playthroughs with that friend on Resident Evil 6.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Haalyle said:

I recently got Until Dawn and did a playthrough of that the other day. While I had fun, I absolutely hated the Don't Move parts because it would drift off even when I knew it wasn't moving (even when I had the controller set down).

Oh yeah. Hated those in Telltale Jurassic Park as well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks to someone having better knowledge in Windows/DOS Box emulation than I do, I have been playing one game that I enjoyed playing in my childhood:

unknown.png

I've been playing Starbound. Upgrading my ship and travelling to different planets. Found a barren planet and built a building for tenants. Would like to build more things there. Putting storage there too. 

Devil may cry 5 

I like this game. By the way, I like gambling, I usually choose this games. Has anyone tried something similar and what are the results?

Been playing a variety of games these past couple months. First was CTR Nitro-Fueled, which was a lot of fun... for a time, at least. I ended up dropping it around halfway through the first Grand Prix event and haven't picked it up again since.

Instead, I decided to try out the first Banjo-Kazooie on Xbox. I'm up to Rusty Bucket Bay (ugh) and the game's been a joy to play so far. I'm aiming to finish it soon so I can collect the Stop 'N' Swop stuff for Banjo-Tooie.

I've also been catching up on some PS4 games. Played through and finished the first Mega Man Legacy Collection (thank you rewind feature!) and just recently started on the second collection. Did Mega Man 9 first since it's the hardest one for me...

Finally, me and my brother have been playing Borderlands 2 and The Pre-Sequel on co-op, finishing the former's main story before moving on to the latter. We've been enjoying the experience, so perhaps when Borderlands 3 comes out we'll both be playing that too.

So I'm trying to clear more of my backlog but its still not working out. However it seems like I'm limiting things down to one game at a time for the moment.

Pokemon Red

I'm mostly playing this for footage for a review I'm working on. I need to go back and get some footage of Yellow at some point to illustrate the differences between versions. However I won't be talking about it much here since I'm gonna throw my thoughts into the review. Why am I reviewing an ancient game like this? I don't know either.

Shin Megami Tensei If...

This is something I've been waiting for months to play. I don't remember the exact time when I discovered this game but its better late than never, especially since we just recently got a translation for it. I couldn't figure out how to use it but I eventually figured it out and here we are. Anyways I'm really liking If... right now. Yeah it reminds of me Persona, specifically the first game since its similar in plot where a school gets sucked into a different dimension and the main characters have to fight demons because someone did an evil ritual. Idk why I like this premise so much and I do like the characters so far, particularly Reiko since I like her design and the fact she's more in the know about the plot. Oh also when you die you get a demon to possess you, which not only affects your stats but it also means death is a slap on the wrist, usually. However I am a bit lost on things.

Firstly there's a lack of a consistent map or clear way on where to go. You're actually exploring the dungeons in this game blind without a map unless you use a specific item (View Stone) or a spell to show it. It helps but it constantly moves with you and there's no stand out landmarks unless you're looking directly at them. And I'm honestly lost and confused on where to go. I'm currently in the Domain of Pride but I'm again lost because I can't figure out left from right. Also battles are kind of confusing; I actually didn't know what the stick figure icons on the top of the screen meant but its apparently to show how much health an enemy has and how many allies it has since it can't show all of the monsters onscreen. And I don't know what the statuses are in this game either since I have to go by stick figures and text. All I know so far is that being "happy" is the term for confusion so I don't know if this was how it was originally (though considering the stick figure's position it might had been) or if its a mistranslation but its really not easy to get used to. And finally I'm having an extremely hard time recruiting demons. I don't know what it is but these demons flat out refuse to team up with me. I'm finding this harder to do in the Persona series since they at least gave you some kind of hint to what the demons want, here its more or less trial or error. Or maybe I just suck at this game. Who knows.

I still want to continue with this game. I want to actually try to tackle a game like this blind for the challenge. I can also see how this game leads into the Persona series and I want to see where this will go compared to its successors. Yes its confusing at times but I do have a lot of patience for RPGs, usually anyways. This is a pretty interesting game to say the least.

Panel de Pon

I guess you probably heard of this through Smash or as either Tetris Attack or Pokemon Puzzle Challenge/League but I'm playing it in its original state. Panel de Pon is a cute little puzzle game like Puyo Puyo where you have to clear colors to win. However you can only move blocks horizontally and never vertically so you have think a bit more about your chains before you do them and this game encourages you do so. I'm mostly playing this game for the cute visuals and the fact it has a puzzle mode which I do actually like as a challenge. There isn't really much to say about this game other than I find it kind of funny how the puzzle games with the cute designs had to be changed in the West but its also kind of sad in a way, especially in this game's case as its in Tetris' shadow. Still though its nice to see its actually pretty fun.

• Thumbs Up 1