Awoo.

Should Sonic ever try to pursue a romantic relationship (or have moments that hint at romance)?

Soniman

I thought Elise's Song was my Destiny?

Her song is My Destiny, but the song for Sonic/Tails Sonic/Elise is most probably Sweet Sweet Sweet, is what plays in the credits, with Akon and shit.

The number between eight and ten.

Sonic is a free spirit; I have always considered him bisexual, uninterested. Bisexual because he doesn't like inhibitions, and uninterested, because, well, if he had to date someone he'd be chained to them. He'd have to take them everywhere he ran, etc.

Sonic's romantic pursuits should stay in the realm of fanfiction and speculative far futures. For his duration as a game icon, he's going to be single.

Never mind, Sonic going with anyone would cause tons of flame wars. Between coupling supporters, and fans who don't want their universe dragged down by romantic drama.

• Thumbs Up 1

Never mind, Sonic going with anyone would cause tons of flame wars. Between coupling supporters, and fans who don't want their universe dragged down by romantic drama.
Let's just not do anything, so no one could possibly be upset.

Let's just not do anything, so no one could possibly be upset.

Sonic's romantic pursuits should stay in the realm of fanfiction and speculative far futures. For his duration as a game icon, he's going to be single.

Already ahead of you, sir. :P

No see the joke was, that's stupid.

The tragic part of your joke, then, is that it's the best course of action.

As it stands, everyone right now can pair Sonic with anyone, or no one.

If we start matching him up with one character or another, way too much drama and flaming ensues. X wants Sonic with Amy. Y wants Sonic with Sally. Z wants Sonic with Tails. Sega decides Sonic and Amy is 100% canon, no questions asks. Can you see the problem that will arise here?

Keep romance in the realm of fanfiction.

If we start matching him up with one character or another, way too much drama and flaming ensues. X wants Sonic with Amy. Y wants Sonic with Sally. Z wants Sonic with Tails. Sega decides Sonic and Amy is 100% canon, no questions asks. Can you see the problem that will arise here?

Fan bitch about green eyes, Shadow, and every other nitpicking thing, so I hardly see what's the problem.

"We already have problems, may as well not care if we create more." isn't exactly good logic...

If a ship is sinking, you do not open more holes in the hull.

• Thumbs Up 2

No see the joke was, that's stupid.

Funny, I seem to recall you rejecting my idea for two Sonic shows because they would split the fanbase further. Yet, here you are, asking for a romantic relationship, knowing that it would split the fanbase even further.

Classy. ;)

So I ask; how is this situation any different when shippers make up a good third of this fanbase?

Edited by VisionaryBlur

Well, two Sonic shows is easily manageable; weren't SatAM and AoStH broadcast at the same time? One serious, one lighthearted, each a very different take on the franchise.

Trying to appease every shipping couple is impossible unless we establish that all characters are polygamous with eachother.

Actually, from that, it's more logical to have two shows than it is to even touch the forbidden fruit that is a pairing.

Well, two Sonic shows is easily manageable; weren't SatAM and AoStH broadcast at the same time? One serious, one lighthearted, each a very different take on the franchise.

Trying to appease every shipping couple is impossible unless we establish that all characters are polygamous with eachother.

Actually, from that, it's more logical to have two shows than it is to even touch the forbidden fruit that is a pairing.

Just for context, he was referring to a discussion in another thread where he suggested we have two Sonic shows running at the same time, one with Classic Sonic and one with Modern Sonic. Others argued that that would make the division in the fanbase over "classic" and "modern" even worse (Which I agree with).

Edited by Frogging101

Just for context, he was referring to a discussion in another thread where he suggested we have two Sonic shows running at the same time, one with Classic Sonic and one with Modern Sonic. Others argued that that would make the division in the fanbase over "classic" and "modern" even worse (Which I aEgree with).

This would too. As stated, at least a third of fans are shippers already, and this would escalate conflict to Zutara degrees, especially since this series is ongoing.

Plus, romance adds nothing that friendly character development doesn't already add, unless the romance becomes a main point. So not only would it split an already broken fanbase, it wouldn't serve any meaningful purpose to Sonic.

Edited by VisionaryBlur

Plus, romance adds nothing that friendly character development doesn't already add, unless the romance becomes a main point. So not only would it split an already broken fanbase, it wouldn't serve any meaningful purpose to Sonic.

but we're screwed because... Sonic Team really keeps adding romance between character interactions, so it's not like "romance has no place in the continuity" because... it's their own thing you know? THEY do that.

heck, pretty much the three of the main female leads are love interests of some sort, implied or explicit.

we had ELISE back in 2006!

also I can't help but feel that every writer has it's favourite pairing that will be poked at in the games.

if the main cast is composed of let's say, eleven characters, (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Cream, Shadow, Rouge, Omega, Blaze, Silver and Eggman) at least six are, characterizated as a love interest of someone, or has romantic impllications in their scenes in subtext or context with another character.

so, yeah... romance is very present in the main cast and they will keep doing it.

but we're screwed because... Sonic Team really keeps adding romance between character interactions, so it's not like "romance has no place in the continuity" because... it's their own thing you know? THEY do that.

heck, pretty much the three of the main female leads are love interests of some sort, implied or explicit.

we had ELISE back in 2006!

also I can't help but feel that every writer has it's favourite pairing that will be poked at in the games.

if the main cast is composed of let's say, eleven characters, (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Cream, Shadow, Rouge, Omega, Blaze, Silver and Eggman) at least six are, characterizated as a love interest of someone, or has romantic impllications in their scenes in subtext or context with another character.

so, yeah... romance is very present in the main cast and they will keep doing it.

Oh, so suddenly 06 counts?

Anyways, having it as explicit still adds nothing but more strife. Keeping it ambiguous allows for fans to just imagine a full romance in their head.

As stated, a full romance adds nothing , ambiguity allows for the imagination to flow. There is nothing to gain from the presence of romance in a full fledged form unless Sonic's concept became based around the romance.

Hell, I'll give an example of a series that benefitted little from romance, Slayers. The show is basically a magical adventure comedy with ambiguous romance thrown within. And it isn't until the very end of the show's second season that the romance played a part in the overall story, and from every season on, you'd forget there was a romance.

In the case of Sonic; he has multiple women whom he has had ambiguous romantic interaction with, thus splitting the base of shippers drastically, and unlike Slayers, this game series doesn't seem to be ending at any point. So introducing a full romance would add not only nothing, it would break a broken fanbase even further.

And that's noooooooo good!

It's been six years most of these characters don't have a main role.
  • Thumbs Up 2

The relationship he had with Amy in Generations should be as far as it goes. He ignored it, but he also kind of acknowleged it so it wasn't like they were trying to make it seem like he's super cool.

Funny, I seem to recall you rejecting my idea for two Sonic shows because they would split the fanbase further. Yet, here you are, asking for a romantic relationship, knowing that it would split the fanbase even further.

Classy. wink.png

So I ask; how is this situation any different when shippers make up a good third of this fanbase?

In both cases, I'm not trying to court every possible group of fans by either giving them or allowing them to imagine whatever they want. I want the series to commit, I want them to create something coherent and structured, something that actually has a direction in mind, rather than trying to be everything to everyone. Does that mean some fans would be unhappy? Sure. Would some leave? Possibly. But it's a direction where the series actually gets some respect, and might gain new fans, rather than simply surviving off of its existing fanbase.

In both cases, I'm not trying to court every possible group of fans by either giving them or allowing them to imagine whatever they want. I want the series to commit, I want them to create something coherent and structured, something that actually has a direction in mind, rather than trying to be everything to everyone. Does that mean some fans would be unhappy? Sure. Would some leave? Possibly. But it's a direction where the series actually gets some respect, and might gain new fans, rather than simply surviving off of its existing fanbase.

Gain respect? The romantic aspect is the most criticized aspect of the Sonic fanbase, after us.

It wouldn't gain anything from romance, other than your respect, your belief that having a romance has structure, but guess what. The romance is a tool of character development used for certain cases where the story is gearing for a single character romance, but Sonic is not that story.

Hell, Sonic Adventure's story is well liked by people outside of Sonic's fanbase, but did that need romance to have structure? I don't think so.

Edited by VisionaryBlur

Gain respect? The romantic aspect is the most criticized aspect of the Sonic fanbase, after us.
Only if you're talking about the comics or '06's kiss. Other than that, romance has barely been a part of the series, so it can't possibly be one of the most criticized aspects. And, those instances were criticized because they were bad, not because they were romance.

It wouldn't gain anything from romance, other than your respect, your belief that having a romance has structure, but guess what. The romance is a tool of character development used for certain cases where the story is gearing for a single character romance, but Sonic is not that story.
Romance is a perfectly valid aspect of characterization and character development even when it isn't the main focus of the story.

Hell, Sonic Adventure's story is well liked by people outside of Sonic's fanbase, but did that need romance to have structure? I don't think so.
No one said romance is the only way to have structure. It's one tool that I think should be available. And remember, parts of Amy's story were driven by her crush on Sonic, and Gamma's flicky had a mate and child.

Only if you're talking about the comics or '06's kiss. Other than that, romance has barely been a part of the series, so it can't possibly be one of the most criticized aspects. And, those instances were criticized because they were bad, not because they were romance.

Romance is a perfectly valid aspect of characterization and character development even when it isn't the main focus of the story.

No one said romance is the only way to have structure. It's one tool that I think should be available. And remember, parts of Amy's story were driven by her crush on Sonic, and Gamma's flicky had a mate and child.

1. No it isn't, because it doesn't have any worth in a series unless it's garnered to romance. Regular development garners respect better, and doesn't split fanbases.

2. And it's played up for laughs. Gamma's story isn't about the romance, it's about sacrifice. The romance doesn't even play a part in it.

1. No it isn't, because it doesn't have any worth in a series unless it's garnered to romance.
...I don't even have anything to say to something this stupid.

2. And it's played up for laughs. Gamma's story isn't about the romance, it's about sacrifice. The romance doesn't even play a part in it.
Even if played for laughs, it's an aspect of Amy's story. Likewise for Gamma, it's not the forefront of the story but a contributing element.